PDA

View Full Version : Pins

Pages : [1] 2

Sarah B in SD
05-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Yes, I am lanyard wearing pin nerd:geek:

So, just wondering, what's your favorite pin????

jazzysmom
05-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Ohhh, that's a hard one.
Probably my Adventureland one that has the Bengal BBQ on it.
I probably have 10 lanyards full of ones I would never trade. Don't even ask about the boxes of them. :eek:

MammaSilva
05-02-2008, 07:04 AM
I'm a collector not a 'trader' and my all time favorite pin is one that was a gift for my 50th birthday the year the parks were celebrating the 50th ...it's not the biggest or fanciest but it was gold ears with "jewels" and a 50 on it...so that's my favorite of all my pins.

Sarah B in SD
05-02-2008, 07:18 AM
I am a "collector" not a trader too;)

One of new favorites looks like a coin and says 1928 and Mickey looks like George Washington...
I saw it in the Park in February and I did not buy it I spent the few next visits searching for it, no luck...Cut to MA weekend, I found it in the PPH Gift Shop, I was thrilled! Needless to say, I learned my lesson

I also have a LE Mother's Day 2007 one with Dumbo and his Mama that is really special too.

I am outgrowing my lanyard and I have a Pin Trading cloth that I picked up at the outlet were I store my extras, I am going to treat myself to a new lanyard this weekend.
I also try to only buy "Disneyland" or "Mickey Mouse" pins only, but allow myself one "year" pin and a DCA one if I am there, but somehow I seem to always make exceptions to my little rules, one can never have to many pins right?

Oh, and I ALWAYS buy the locking pin backs, and try and tell people about them, they are more than worth the money IMO.

TTFN92
05-02-2008, 07:51 AM
One of new favorites looks like a coin and says 1928 and Mickey looks like George Washington...
I saw it in the Park in February and I did not buy it I spent the few next visits searching for it, no luck...Cut to MA weekend, I found it in the PPH Gift Shop, I was thrilled! Needless to say, I learned my lesson

I also have a LE Mother's Day 2007 one with Dumbo and his Mama that is really special too.

Whoa! We have the same thought process. When we were there in Jan/Feb I wanted the coin pin too and didn't buy it :(. I have been mad at myself ever since. We are leaving tomorrow and I was hoping to buy it. I guess I won't hold my breath. I did buy a really cute Dumbo pin. DH thought it was kind of babyish and couldn't figure out why I bought it but I just thought he was so cute.

I saw the Dumbo Mother's Day pin for 08 and was planning on buying it if they still have it. They also have a Bambi one and was hoping to get that one for my mom. I was going to get one for each of my sisters too.

Now for my favorite pin. I actually have 2. My first favorite is the Magical Milestones pin from 1982. It is the retired ticket book. My next favorite is a tea cups pin. It is looking down on the tea cups and has Mickey, Alice, and Chip 'n Dale in the cups. All of the pieces spin.

My biggest pain in the neck pin is one I got at WDW. It is a Mickey sillouhette that opens and has a photo of Walt and Mickey on the inside. I really like it but it won't stay shut. It bugs the heck out of me. I may take it off for our trip, then it will free up some space for a new one ;). Maybe I'll take a few off :~D.

I love pins though. I think they are so fun!

daveywest
05-02-2008, 07:55 AM
My favorite is the the buzz ride scoreborad pin.

Why?

My wife bet me I couldn't make it into the top ten in April '07. She said she would buy that pin for me if I did. Two hours later, the ride stopped with me right in front of a diamond. I finished the ride at #2, and she learned to never challange her husband. ;-)

Sarah B in SD
05-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Whoa! We have the same thought process. When we were there in Jan/Feb I wanted the coin pin too and didn't buy it :(. I have been mad at myself ever since. We are leaving tomorrow and I was hoping to buy it.!

Try the Hotel gift shops, when I was letting the CM know about my search for the coin pin, she said "If you can't find it in the park, always check here!"

pastrylover
05-02-2008, 07:57 AM
I like to get the Evil Queen pins and anything that has to do with Woody. The little man likes anything that has to do with the Matterhorn.

MouseyEars
05-02-2008, 08:03 AM
So Many Favorites but latest-
My Nurse Day Pins from the past two years,
and Lilo and Stitch Pin Riding the Big Wheel:)
We have that Mickey Mouse Pin that opens up as well....ended putting an elastic string around it.

Drince88
05-02-2008, 08:14 AM
My favorites are two that I wear on my straw hat that I wear most of the time in the parks. The first is from WDW and has a regular pin back that closes back on itself, with Mickey laying over the icons of the 4 parks at the time - which was back when the Earful Tower was the icon for the studios - not the big hat.

And the second is gold mouse ears that say Disneyland on it.

I've had MANY people complement the Mickey pin - but that is NOT a trader. I bought it because the hat I bought that trip didn't have anything Mickey or Disney on the band, and it needed to be Disney'd up!

Mr.Abominable
05-03-2008, 01:16 AM
My two favorite pins are my Imagineering Edition Jumbo of the Pirates of the Caribbean Plaque and my Stitch with his Morning Coffee pin from Disney Auctions.....oh yeah, I love my Club 33 pin too! I really have a hard time picking a favorite and I think we now have over 500, pretty sick huh? lol

cookie7762
05-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Mine is probably my aztec gold coin. I know that they are everywhere in the park now, but the summer I bought it they were sold out everywhere. My brother found it at the end of the day turned upside down with a bunch of other pins that had fallen of the rack throughout the day. I was so excited! Now it kinda bugs me that I looked so hard and currently they're in abundance, but oh well... I thought I was lucky that summer.

I also really like my minnie mouse nurse pin. Its my newest because I finally earned it!

Mrs Mouse
05-03-2008, 10:10 AM
DF is the pin collector between the two of us, but for Christmas I tracked down an amazing pin for him on eBay.

It's the AP pin from Disneyland's 40th anniversary and it's a replica of the plaque that marks the Time Castle in front of Sleeping Beauty's Castle. That one doesn't chance going on the lanyard, it stays in it's box!

That would have to be my favorite of DF's pins.

kiki
05-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Im a collector not a trader also. Both my cousin and I compete to see who has the most pins by the end of our vacation ( Its all out of good fun).

I have a couple of favorites:
1. My Orlando Bloom POTC pin (he's sooo cute)
2. All of my Tinker Bell pins (she's my favorite character. p.s. cant wait for the new attraction:D)
3. My Jessica Rabbit "diva " pin (she's my alter ego)

adrianne
05-03-2008, 02:07 PM
I, too, am a collector, not a trader. I have 2 favorites:

First, is a rectangular one shows Si and Am from Lady andd the Tramp, with a caption reading "Yes Si-Am having fun at Disneyland"

My other fav is of Figaro, from Pinocchio.

...can you tell I like cats? ;)

rfaljean
05-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I've never traded and all of my pins were given to me as gifts from my kids or my sister, so they are all my favs... but my most favorites ones are:

Han Solo
Ursula
Hades

and the best of all... about 4 yrs ago, in Tomorrowland, you could have pins individually made. we posed for a picture that they printed on sticker paper. we then applied the sticker to the pin, I think it says Disneyland or something like that. It's definately one of a kind.

I'm so afraid of losing them, that I don't even wear them, they are tucked away in my dresser.

BTW- if any knows where I can find a Kronk pin, please let me know. He's my absolute favorite side-kick. thanks

MaraMouse
05-04-2008, 08:16 PM
my Chip & Dale Dole Whip hidden Mickey pin!

Jon
05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm a collector, not a trader.

Don't believe the hype, guys - nobody trades them.

I spend a lot of time at the park, and I've never seen anyone actually trading pins with each other. I don't count the "trading" that takes place between guests and CMs, because there's no give and take there. The CM gets the pins for free from the park and doesn't care what he/she gets in return, and the guest doesn't have to offer anything worthwhile (just something the CM isn't currently wearing). That's not trading.

I liked the idea of it when I thought it was going to be a way for guests to strike up conversations with each other and share; I bought a bunch of pins a while back just so my girlfriend and I could give them to anyone who wanted them and meet new people. Nobody has ever asked us, because why trade when you can just go buy your own in a shop or on eBay? Like everything else at Disney, it almost instantly became just another way for people to accumulate Stuff™. We were very disappointed, and now the pins just hang on our lanyards in the closet, collecting dust.

daveywest
05-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Like everything else at Disney, it almost instantly became just another way for people to accumulate Stuff™.

Speaking as a parent:

Yes, but this stuff (in moderation) takes up very little room, and doesn't make noise or flashing lights in the car all the way home. ;-)

Sarah B in SD
05-05-2008, 01:01 PM

I spend a lot of time at the park, and I've never seen anyone actually trading pins with each other. I don't count the "trading" that takes place between guests and CMs, because there's no give and take there. The CM gets the pins for free from the park and doesn't care what he/she gets in return, and the guest doesn't have to offer anything worthwhile (just something the CM isn't currently wearing). That's not trading.

I can think of two trading areas off hand, one my the Pin store in Fronteirland (formerly the Christmas store) right next to the shooting gallery. The other is near Buzz in Tomorrowland, the have tables with umbrellas and "rules" posted. People hang out there just to trade pins, I think pins are great, a relatively in-expensive and easy to store, they last forever are are really neat peices of art.

I was in the parks this weekend, and my new fave that I purchased is an I-5 sign and the 5 is inside of Mickey ears...

Niwel
05-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Old favorite: My Passover Pin from 2004 or my "mistake" Davy Crockett pin from when the pins first came out in the stores.
New favorite: Mickey as Don Lockwood in "Singing in the Rain"
Middle fave: My Jungle Cruise "The backside of water" pin

UsBurchs
05-05-2008, 06:16 PM
My favorite pin is one I got on my first trip to DL in 2001. We saved an Electric Light Parade spot at DCA for some sweet Japanese girls while they found the restroom. After the parade, they turned around and told me thank you for saving their places earlier and presented me with a Tokyo Disneyland Light Parade pin. I offered to trade, but they refused. I LOVE that pin and all it represents for me - a magical moment, international friends that love Disney too, the fact it was from my first trip to DL and even just the fact that it's from Japan! :) It's not the coolest looking pin, but it's my favorite.

Gone2Disneyland
05-05-2008, 10:07 PM
My friends are pin traders. It cracks me up to see their enthusiasm because I'm not a trader at all.

I used to work for a company that designed and produced pins for the Atlanta Olympics, MLB, NFL and the NBA, designing a handful myself. So I collect pins, and since I've got this background in manufacturing pins, I usually choose designs that I feel are technically well done in addition to having characters I like.

That all said, my favorite ones are just ones I like for sentimental reasons. Here are a few of my favorite pins. ;)

Pirates of the Caribbean poster pin (because I know it sold out pretty quick)
My 2006 Inaugural Disneyland 1/2 Marathon pins (because I ran the darn thing, and so I feel I earned them)
My "Genuine Authentic Passholder" pin from Disneyland (it's a nice design they discontinued)
A gold Club 33 logo pin some friends gave me after their visit there
Last year's "Welcome" pin series (the only pin series I collected every pin of, nice design)
A "Mickey Class of 1955" mini cast member pin and a hinged Disneyland ticket book pin, two employee exclusive pins of dozens a friend's given me whose sister works for The Disney Company.

MouseyEars
05-06-2008, 06:30 AM

I liked the idea of it when I thought it was going to be a way for guests to strike up conversations with each other and share; I bought a bunch of pins a while back just so my girlfriend and I could give them to anyone who wanted them and meet new people. Nobody has ever asked us, because why trade when you can just go buy your own in a shop or on eBay? Like everything else at Disney, it almost instantly became just another way for people to accumulate Stuff™. We were very disappointed, and now the pins just hang on our lanyards in the closet, collecting dust.

Jon, give it a try again!
Your older pins might be very hard to find now, so some of the Pin traders with books might be happy to trade...
If you go to Westward Ho Pin Store, or one of the other Pin Stores from 1:30 to 3:30, they have CMs with Books of pins out. You can trade with them or probably even more fun for you, trade with the people waiting in the long lines to trade with the CMs. One gentleman came by wearing a VEST full of pins, to trade any pin for any pin. He was cool! I was going to trade some open edition pins I got from CM lanyards earlier in the day, instead traded with two boys in line, which made them happy, and it was nice to meet them
also.:)

yohomama212
05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I started with Pins for the trading too... like Jon, I thought it would be a nice way to meet other guests. I've been to some of the trading times at the parks and all I've seen is militant trading Nazis trying to scam kids who just want a nice pin to remember their trip by. DH and I are now collectors. I have POTC, so easy to find right now and not much of a thrill. DH collects Jack and NBC, much more exciting since there's not much until Halloween but even then, it's limited. The big kids have their lanyards too, Cars for DS and Princess for DD#1. We've started picking up Tink pins for DD#2 as well. DS is always wanting to trade with other guests, but no one else is willing, I hate that we started this for him and now he can't enjoy it.

But to answer the question posted... my fave is a framed pic of Bail Organa :Swoon:

Elizabeth