PDA

View Full Version : "Obscure" characters walking around

Pages : [1] 2

CountryBehr
09-25-2002, 07:10 AM
I was wondering what "not-so-famous" characters are walking around, if any. I was looking at a picture from when I was at DL in the 70's of my brother and I standing in front of Smee, which I think is pretty obscure now that I think of it.
Is it pretty much just Mickey et al and the newer characters or are there some vintage ones like Smee as well?
Are the Country Bears walking around still after the fiasco of the movie?

justagrrl
09-25-2002, 07:20 AM
I've seen Smee a few times. I've seen Beast a few times. I'd love to see the villians, like Malificent a bit more.

daannzzz
09-25-2002, 07:46 AM
I have some Video from the WDW magic Kingdom last year and as Toontown Fair opened there were a few characters waiting to greet everyone. There were two of the female mice from Cinderella. i don't remember their names but one was in a blue dress and the other in a pink dress. I had never seen them before.

RStar
09-25-2002, 08:28 AM
I don't know if you would call them obscure or not, but I've seen Brier fox and Rabbit. Also the villian from Tailspin. Can't think of his name, something french. La feet or something I think.

Not Afraid
09-25-2002, 08:38 AM
Smee is out quite a bit. The Alice characters also roam about, causing trouble and talking on peoples' cell phones. Pochahontas appears occasionally. The CB were hanging out on TSI this summer, but I haven't seen them in a while.

I miss the Big Bad Wolf and Three Little Pigs. If I saw them out and about at DL I would SCREAM!

RStar
09-25-2002, 08:41 AM
We miss seeing the Seven Dwarfs. My wife is a HUGE Dopey fan, and we never see them in the park anymore except in the parades.:(

blusilva
09-25-2002, 09:23 AM
I saw Prince Phillip with Aurora over near the Castle (on the grotto side) a few months ago. I was amazed. I didn't even know they had a Prince Phillip!

cstephens
09-25-2002, 11:08 AM
There's a really good website with a lot of good information about characters, and they may also have information about which characters can be found where. Check out Toonfinder (http://www.toonfinder.com) and see if you can find some information that would help you.

tabacco
09-25-2002, 11:38 AM
I saw Launchpad McQuack a couple of times this summer :)

bluebayou
09-25-2002, 11:58 AM
I am a huge villains fan (as my fellow council members will agree with - remember I am the one sho's favorite character is Capt Hook) - and last time I went to Disney I saw (and have never seen before - the Evil Queen from Snow White - that was COOL! Of course - I was a little overwhelmed that day as I saw Capt Hook and the Queen of Hearts as well..

innerSpaceman
09-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Over the quarter century that I have regularly been visting Disneyland, I have seen "featured" characters come and go. As NotAfraid related above, the Alice gang seems to have the run of the park on weekends nowadays. I have seen the days when Cinderella and her mice pals were around a lot (by the way, their names are Perla and Susie); when Honest John and Gideon (from Pinocchio) were all over place; Smee, Hook and Peter Pan ruled the weekends at one point; and the Three Little Pigs were around very much a few years back. So the cast of featured characters keeps changing.

My favorite experience of "obscure" characters was at Disneyland's amazing 30th Birthday Party in 1985 - they brought EVERY character out of the woodwork, some that had not been seen since the early 70's. I have never seen so many characters in the park - every Disney animated film was represented. It was incredibly cool.

adriennek
09-25-2002, 12:13 PM
There's a group of characters from Pinocchio I think, that I usually see hanging around on Main Street. No one ever knows who they are. I looked up the cat's name once but I forgot it again-- (and I couldn't find it on imdb.) They seem pretty obscure to me.

Adrienne K

mad4mky
09-25-2002, 12:39 PM
The park that had "obscure" characters walking around was at Disneyland Paris. It was kind of odd...
not once did I see Mickey or Minnie. When I did see Pluto, he was all alone...no one was standing with him taking pictures...except for us when we went up to him. No Donald, no Goofy. We only saw them during the parades.

We did see big crowds around Friar Tuck (from Robin Hood)...and the Jester from Hunch Back of Notre Dame. Both of those qualify as obscure characters to me. And to have big crowds around them...but not Pluto was just plain odd to see.

Course, we never saw one child wearing Mickey Mouse ears either. Different country...different cultures.

At WDW...we saw Wendy on both trips out there...I have never seen Wendy here at DLR. I wonder why? So I guess she is an obscure character also. We see Hook a lot at DLR...but not Peter Pan...:confused:

I used to see Prince John (from Robin Hood) around Disneyland a lot when my kids were little. I haven't seen him in years. Course, back then, maybe they had Friar Tuck walking around. I don't remember seeing him though. And we used to see the characters from Tale Spin...but they have gone the way of the cartoon, I guess.

Not Afraid
09-25-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
There's a group of characters from Pinocchio I think, that I usually see hanging around on Main Street. No one ever knows who they are. I looked up the cat's name once but I forgot it again-- (and I couldn't find it on imdb.) They seem pretty obscure to me.

Adrienne K

Foul Fellow (Fox) and Gideon (Cat). They used to hand out at the Hub during the noon meets (with Pinoch. and Gepetto). I forgot their names at first to. Had to go home and look them up. D'oh!

mad4mky
09-25-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Foul Fellow (Fox) and Gideon (Cat). They used to hand out at the Hub during the noon meets (with Pinoch. and Gepetto). I forgot their names at first to. Had to go home and look them up. D'oh!

I thought it was Honest John and Gideon?!:confused:

Bill Catherall
09-25-2002, 12:43 PM
There's a group of characters from Pinocchio I think, that I usually see hanging around on Main Street. No one ever knows who they are. I looked up the cat's name once but I forgot it again-- (and I couldn't find it on imdb.)
You mean Gideon? And the fox is J. Worthington Foulfellow (Honest John).

When my dad worked for Disney (pre-Eisner) they had some management training sessions where management got to go backstage and do all kinds of fun stuff, like go out as a costumed character. My dad played Friar Tuck. He has pictures of the entire group with heads on and heads off. :D

{Edit: And of course I got beat to the punch. ;) }

mousey_girl
09-25-2002, 12:48 PM

Adrienne K

The 2 "villians" that lure him away from going to school? We see them on every trip, but since The Boy isn't a real big fan of the movie we have never approached them.

We are usually too busy tracking down Capt'n Hook and the Toy Story gang.

One of the funnest characters to interact with has got to be the Mad Hatter! When he gets on a roll there is no stopping him, and if he sees that someone is "getting" his sense of humor watch out!!! During a grumpy b-day breakfast (The Boy was being a bit of a pill that morning), he made a point to hang around the table and as soon as he got an opportunity he sat in The Hubby's chair and refused to move.

The one character that I found to be a bit on the obscure side was Gaston. This was 2 years ago, before they "re-did" Beauty and the Beast. We went to breakfast at Minnie's. It was really early and he was the only character in the restaraunt. I had no idea who he was. It wasn't until Belle came in that I figured it out. I was too embarassed to ask him who he was.

PhilMP
09-25-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by RStar
I don't know if you would call them obscure or not, but I've seen Brier fox and Rabbit. Also the villian from Tailspin. Can't think of his name, something french. La feet or something I think.

You mean Don Carnage??

I think a lot of character placement is strategic. You see a character and start thinking about the cartoon/movie the character was in, gets awareness for a possible new movie or video release.

Phil

adriennek
09-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by mousey_girl
The one character that I found to be a bit on the obscure side was Gaston. This was 2 years ago, before they "re-did" Beauty and the Beast. We went to breakfast at Minnie's. It was really early and he was the only character in the restaraunt. I had no idea who he was. It wasn't until Belle came in that I figured it out. I was too embarassed to ask him who he was.

Gaston at Minnie's breakfast scared the hooey out of Matthew when he (Matthew) was a baby. Gaston couldn't come NEAR our table. It made for some delightful lines from Belle, however, scolding Gaston for scaring the baby...

Adrienne K

Bill Catherall
09-25-2002, 03:23 PM
Do the little (actually lifesize in this case) green Army Men from Toy Story still accompany Buzz or Woody for crowd control? I've seen them a couple times, but it was a couple years ago. Those guys were great. They even had boards attaching their feet together, so they had to "march" just like in the movie. :D

bluepearl
09-25-2002, 03:33 PM
I saw Maleficent once, and I was in total awe. I, too, wish they'd bring back a character greeting with her.

I haven't seen the Army Men lately with Buzz. And I did see the Country Bears once walking around Tom Sawyer Island!

Morrigoon
09-25-2002, 03:43 PM
I'd like to see more of the obscure human characters as face characters instead of rubberheads. Just look at Alice and the Mad hatter! We ought to have a Peter Pan and Wendy running around causing trouble too!

And how about a non-rubberhead Hook to yell at us?

Pixie Glitter
09-25-2002, 04:31 PM
Depends on which cat you're talking about from Pinocchio--Geppetto's cat was named Figaro.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-25-2002, 05:32 PM
A few months ago we saw a lot of Baloo, hanging around the Frontierland entrance. I think he counts as sort of obscure.

Rafiki used to show up at the Adventureland entrance, too.

I love that they brought out the evil Queen from Snow White on Goth Day. :D

For CountryBehr and others - the best advice is this - if you want to know the character schedule, hit up City Hall as you enter the park.

MonorailMan
09-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Foul Fellow (Fox)

Glove Fact™: Foulfellow was always very dirty, therefore his gloves are more grey than white.