PDA

View Full Version : Little Known Stand-by Digital Sign Information

MonorailMan
09-25-2002, 06:41 AM
Here's a thing I saw:

If you look at a Digital (Not one that had the flappy numbers, like an old clock) Stand-By wait sign at and angle (from the left), there is an extra 0 after the time. I wonder why they threw in a non-needed number. :confused:

hbquikcomjamesl
09-25-2002, 07:39 AM
Probably because the cheapest off-the-shelf module available that would do the job had "seconds" digits, and it makes more sense to use a stock module, covering up whatever isn't needed, than to have something custom made. Electronics are funny that way: often a mass-produced device that does more than you need is cheaper than the parts to build something that only does what you need.

newhdplayer
09-25-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Probably because the cheapest off-the-shelf module available that would do the job had "seconds" digits, and it makes more sense to use a stock module, covering up whatever isn't needed, than to have something custom made. Electronics are funny that way: often a mass-produced device that does more than you need is cheaper than the parts to build something that only does what you need.

Just another example of Disney using "off-the-shelf" technology(which some people frown upon), instead of custom engineering a solution (properly themed, of course).

Ghoulish Delight
09-25-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Just another example of Disney using "off-the-shelf" technology(which some people frown upon), instead of custom engineering a solution (properly themed, of course). Well geez, no need to reinvent the wheel here. It's just a digital clock. I think digital clock technology has gone about as far as it's going to go. I'm pretty okay with Disney using a commodity product. It's not like they are going to come up with some magical new clock to blow us all away and display the time in new and exciting ways.

hbquikcomjamesl
09-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Just another example of Disney using "off-the-shelf" technology . . . , instead of custom engineering a solution . . . .

You want Disney should manufacture every nut, bolt, and valve in its own machine shops? (Although if they had done so back when the Flying Saucer attraction was built, they wouldn't have been stuck with a whole ride system based on an unobtainable part).

newhdplayer
09-25-2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
You want Disney should manufacture every nut, bolt, and valve in its own machine shops? (Although if they had done so back when the Flying Saucer attraction was built, they wouldn't have been stuck with a whole ride system based on an unobtainable part).

Yes. I want everything conceptualized, designed, engineered, and manufactured in-house. No more off-the-shelf anything, ever.

mrcoffee
09-25-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Yes. I want everything conceptualized, designed, engineered, and manufactured in-house. No more off-the-shelf anything, ever.

Oh yeah, like that ever happened, or ever will..

I suggest you take a look at Designer Times over at Laughingplace.com (http://www.laughingplace.com .. They used quite a few 'off the shelf' parts for everything during Walt's time.

Why reinvent the wheel?

MonorailMan
09-25-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by mrcoffee
Why reinvent the wheel?

Because the wheel is not properly themed. :p

Kidding, I just think maybe that Disney should paint a wood tone on the flipping numbers, on Splash, for example. :)

JCLowesman
09-25-2002, 04:29 PM
The majority of "themed" items produced by the Disney alchemists contain trace amounts of the rare eleiment Unobtainium, which can only be found in the hidden valleys of the Andes, hence the many South American trips made by Walt in the 40's and 50"s. He attempted to find supplies locally, but was foiled by environmentalists bent on protecting the Anaheim orange groves. (It is rumored the true reason for the Submarine Fleet at DL was to cover up Walt's secret mining attempts, and when the environmental movement started to suspect the truth then the operation was closed down.)

Unobtainium has the ability to infuse people standing within a raduis of 50 feet with a sense of wonder and amazment and can suspend reality for short periods of time. It is rumored that Walt even tried to use it in several Disney Kitchens, but found that loses it's effect if mixed with churro batter.

There is no known substitute for this element, and attempts to synthesize it have met with total failure, except for a small operation located in Marin County, California.

I hope this clears up any confusion regarding the use of Imagineered items inside Disney Parks vs. the use of "off the shelf" equipment.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-25-2002, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by JCLowesman
I hope this clears up any confusion regarding the use of Imagineered items inside Disney Parks vs. the use of "off the shelf" equipment. Heehee! Good one. :D :D :D