PDA

View Full Version : Special Event - 5/8/08 [DreamMaker After Dark in the Park Party]

Bubble1421
05-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Is anyone going to the Dream Makers special event on 5/8/08 from 9p-1a? My 6 year old was lucky enough to get picked to go to the party but we were wondering if anyone knows how Disney is "choosing" & "granting" the dreams? The dream that she picked to get granted, if chosen, is to meet Miley Cyrus.

houseofmouse
05-01-2008, 12:44 PM
What is that? How did you register for that to be chosen? Sounds like big fun!!

Bubble1421
05-01-2008, 09:03 PM
It was through a local radio station. You had to nominate a person who you think deserves a Disney dream, explain why they deserve a dream and then tell what their Disney dream would be. My daughter was nominated and the radio station picked her. She did a ton of fundraising for JDRF and Ronald McDonald House charity and helped gather clothing, toys & other stuff for the little girl up the street whose house burnt down last October in the horrible fires here. I don't know if they are still doing it but the radio station that picked her is MOVIN 93.9 in Los Angeles.

Boo's Mommy
05-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Bubble, do you know more about the event? I came home to a message from star 98.7 about winning a family 4-pass for May 8th. I do recall entering my husband, but I can't find the promotion on the station's web site again. Otherwise, I'll have to wait till Monday to call the promotions department to get details.

Bubble1421
05-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Boo's Mommy - That is pretty much all I know. When I picked up the tickets they said that the dreams are being turned over to Disney and they will choose the ones to grant. They gave us 4 1 day Park Hopper Tickets plus the tickets for the After Hours Party on May 8th. The Park Hopper Tickets are good through 9/15 so you don't have to use those in the park that day. I do know that it is also part of ABC since I called to find out if my 2 year old needed a ticket too. The Disney rep was very nice and told me that it is an ABC event which is being filmed and the same Disney rules apply, under 3 don't require tickets. I am planning on surprising my daughter. She doesn't know anything about winning so we will see.

Congrats on winning too!!! It sounds like it is going to be a blast!!

AVP
05-04-2008, 10:27 AM
I've had another reader tell me that they were picked for this. It seems to be a multi-market promotion for ABC-affiliate radio and television stations, and the actual prize seems to vary depending on what market you reside. For example, the grand prize winner from the KGO contest won airfare and hotel for 8 people and 3-day Park Hoppers in addition to the event tickets. Local media winners seem to be getting 1- or 2-day park hoppers.

We want trip reports!!!!!

AVP

Boo's Mommy
05-05-2008, 08:46 AM
I haven't checked conferences going on, but I think there were quite a few (as in tons!) of winners for this May 8th event. I tried booking rooms at the DLR and ALL 3 hotels had 0 rooms available for the evening of may 8th! There was one room available, concierge at GCH for $600!

PanFan
05-05-2008, 11:20 AM
I'll be working the event. I'm guessing there's some sort of ceremony, but I'm scheduled to work Classics (Snow, Pan, Carrousel, Dumbo, etc.) until 1:45, so evidently the attractions will be open during the event as well. I'm curious how many people will be there (hopefully more than were at the Google party--that was one long and boring night!).

MJK
05-08-2008, 07:57 AM
So is anybody else going tonight?? So excited...dont know what to expect other than riding rides over and over and over again.:p
Anyone know what the "special entertainment" will be?

Poopsie84
05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
What is Dream Maker After Dark in the Park?

MJK
05-08-2008, 08:34 AM
It is a Disneyland Contest where people nominated somebody that they felt deserved a Dream Come True. They chose approximately 100 nominess across the nation/region and are flying them and their guests to this party and trip to Disneyland. At the party they will grant the wish of one or more of the nominees.
Free food, DJ, and special performances are what we've heard. Dont know all of the specifics. We have the park to ouselves from 9PM-1AM.
We're AP'ers....and luckily "guests" for the event.

MJK
05-08-2008, 09:15 AM
DOh! thanks for moving my post. I searched and searched thinking a thread must've already existed, but nothing came back in the searches.

MJK
05-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm curious how many people will be there (hopefully more than were at the Google party--that was one long and boring night!).

They gave out regular hoppers to call-in winners. For the Special Event it was 100 nominees x 8 tickets per nominee for the event. They expect around 6 thousand.

MKY4ME
05-08-2008, 10:40 AM
On Thursday May 8 (90m-1am) Disneyland Park will host the Dream Maker Promotion Fullfillment. Through on-air and online promotions, Guests participate in The Year of a Million Dreams by sponsoring deserving individuals to be eligible for a Dream Gift. The promotion concludes at a private party sponsored by the Resort inside Disneyland Park where the nominees attend and the Dreams Gift(s) are awarded.

Bubble1421
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
I am soooo excited. I haven't told her that she was picked. She has no clue that we are going tonight. We are going to pick her up after work and then go to Downtown Disney for dinner. We are planning on telling her during dinner. I will let you all know how it goes tonight!!

AVP
05-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Through the generosity of a MousePlanet reader Tony and I are going tonight, so I'll try to have photos in Monday's Park Update.

PanFan
05-09-2008, 07:56 AM
It was very cool seeing you (AVP) and Tony! I'm really impressed that you recognized me at night with my coat and hat on walking down the vine at Alice. And thanks for saying hi at Peter Pan, Boo's Mommy! Your son was adorable :)

MJK
05-09-2008, 08:07 AM
took a lil video of the "opening" in front of the castly before we were allowed into the rest of the park.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svd1BT5NW8M

Awesome night..by 11:48PM we had done every ride possible with the exception of Nemo. We werent about to wait in line when everything else was a walk on.

Bubble1421
05-09-2008, 08:56 PM
The night started off great! The opening ceremony was cute. My girls LOVED seeing Mickey. The DJ by Space Mountain was pretty good too. The only problem we had was one of the cast members at the Finding Nemo ride smashed my 6 year old's fingers in the gate. We were at the end of the queue line that dead ends waiting to get on the ride. She didn't say she was opening the gate or anything and my daughter's hand was on the railing. She opened the gate and smashed her 2 fingers between the gate and the railing. My mom yelled at her to stop but she didn't pay attention and continued to shove the gate open. We finally pushed the gate back ourselves to get her fingers out. When the CM heard my daughter scream she came over and said "I told the kids to move their hands" then she walked off like nothing happened. She never said "I'm sorry" or asked if she was ok. There were several other people around who said that she never said anything about opening the gate. We got her some ice then went over to city hall just to let them know what happened. The CM there apologized and said he will let the team know. I asked if he needed to take down any info like the CM's name, ride or time it happened and he said no they don't do reports like that. I was just stunned. Her finger seems to be a little better today. It is still sore and swollen but at least it isn't broken. Other than that, we had an awesome time. No lines at all!! I will see if I can get some pictures up tomorrow.

Bubble1421
05-09-2008, 09:05 PM
The night started off great! The opening ceremony was cute. My girls LOVED seeing Mickey. The DJ by Space Mountain was pretty good too. The only problem we had was one of the cast members at the Finding Nemo ride smashed my 6 year old's fingers in the gate. We were at the end of the queue line that dead ends waiting to get on the ride. She didn't say she was opening the gate or anything and my daughter's hand was on the railing. She opened the gate and smashed her 2 fingers between the gate and the railing. My mom yelled at her to stop but she didn't pay attention and continued to shove the gate open. We finally pushed the gate back ourselves to get her fingers out. When the CM heard my daughter scream she came over and said "I told the kids to move their hands" then she walked off like nothing happened. She never said "I'm sorry" or asked if she was ok. There were several other people around who said that she never said anything about opening the gate. We got her some ice then went over to city hall just to let them know what happened. The CM there apologized and said he will let the team know. I asked if he needed to take down any info like the CM's name, ride or time it happened and he said no they don't do reports like that. I was just stunned. Her finger seems to be a little better today. It is still sore and swollen but at least it isn't broken. Other than that, we had an awesome time. No lines at all!! I will see if I can get some pictures up tomorrow.

adriennek
05-10-2008, 09:47 AM
I asked if he needed to take down any info like the CM's name, ride or time it happened and he said no they don't do reports like that. I was just stunned.

REALLY!? Hmmm. Next time, (and I really hope there ISN'T a next time,) I might ask for a lead. They're trained to try to get away with as little resistance as possible from the guests. They won't write things down if they feel they can 'get away' with it.

You know, it seems to me that they're training people to be difficult at City Hall - they won't respond unless you get pushy about it. :mad:

Adrienne

Boo's Mommy
05-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Ok, how do you all find the time to post?! We JUST (ok, a few hours ago) got home! Dream Party was nice, no lines was great, plus we decided to give ds a measure for Splash Mtn and he MADE IT!!! We rode it 4 times in a row!
But boy was it a LOOOOONG Day and we only took a 1.5 hr break before the evening event!
It was great to meet you Panfan! My dh was laughing at me as I was busy trying to read every CM's nametag in Fantasyland! He and our dd, the little chatterbox that was 2 sails in front of me! And he said you were a great CM because you didn't just send them off, you actually talked to our little Alyssa! And this was BEFORE I told him you were Panfan!

PanFan
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
It was great to meet you Panfan! My dh was laughing at me as I was busy trying to read every CM's nametag in Fantasyland! He and our dd, the little chatterbox that was 2 sails in front of me! And he said you were a great CM because you didn't just send them off, you actually talked to our little Alyssa! And this was BEFORE I told him you were Panfan!

Well you can't fly without your happy thought, so I had to make sure they had theirs ;)