PDA

View Full Version : Question about the history of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad...

ShirleyFilms
05-01-2008, 07:32 AM
I have a question about Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

It seems like the last leg of this coaster hits the brakes quite a bit... slowing it down more than it should. This happens after the "cave in" scene and leads up to a somewhat anti-climactic (slow) ending.

I am just wondering if it has always been that way. Or if this is a more recent development. I ride a lot of coasters, and it SEEMS like there is more than enough momentum to be had to keep the speed going up to the end. It feels like they put the brakes on purposely toward the end of the ride.

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer.

Thanks.

SF

Jon
05-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm curious, too. Goat trick or not, it's my least favorite roller coaster in the park because the ending is so lame.

Another Dimension
05-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Like most multiple lift hill coasters, some of the 'acts' between the lifthills are much better than others.

With Thunder, Acts 1 and 2 are just in many peoples opinions, far superior to Act 3 (the finale and splashdown).

I think the Imagineers ran out of room, also possibly budget for a great Act 3 due to space limitations based on the small plot they started with.

The Mine Train footprint was incredibly large compared what Thunder had to
fit into.

I also think WDI could have just extended Act 2 after the headchopper leads into where the 3rd lift is... and not bothered with the lift at all.

But there were a lot space limitations in that spot based on how wide they wanted Big Thunder Trail... and I know they also added the 3rd lift for additional 'show' purposes.

Too bad 'more show' defintely limited the thrill/entertainment potential of what could have been a much better runaway mine train.

But I am a BTMRR fan.

TTFN92
05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I've never really thought of BTMRR having a lame ending, but when we were at WDW and rode Rockin' Roller Coaster I thought it big time. That is such a great coaster and it just ends, and that is what I think of. Don't think that was about BTMRR, it's a great ride :p.