PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Magical Kid Moment

jazzysmom
04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
I was just looking back through pictures of our DL trips, and this memory gave me such a huge smile. My youngest (4) was dressed as Tink this day. Glittery wings and all. (pic below)

We had assured her that the sparkles on the wings were Pixie Dust.

As we were waiting in line for Peter Pan, we told her that we were going to fly to Neverland. A few minutes later we saw her rubbing her hands on her wings and then wiping them on her sister (8).

When we asked her what she was doing she told us she wanted to make sure her sissy would have enough Pixie dust to fly too....AWWWWWW!!!!!

So what is your favorite magical moment with your little ones? I would love to hear them!

houseofmouse
04-30-2008, 03:04 PM
When my DD was 7 months we took a picture with Goofy and she was fascinated with his nose. She kept reaching out to grab it. :) It was too cute.

When my oldest son was little his favorite ride was the monorail, he would get the biggest smile everytime we rode it!

letitsnow
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
our very first trip to disneyland we were waiting for the parade to come through. my son was sitting on my husband's shoulders and when mickey and minnie mouse came through he was screaming "mickey mouse!!! mickey mouse!!!" and waving his hands. he was only 2 or 3 years old at the time and it was so cute...now i am hooked. we go at least twice a year and he is now 9 years old.

mkraemer
04-30-2008, 03:46 PM
My oldest daughter learned how to wave as she watched the Main Street Electrical Parade in its 'glow away' performances.

mistofviolets
04-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Well, to understand, you'd have to know my dd.

She's not just shy. At the time of our first visit, she'd crumple if you looked at her wrong. If someone complimented her dress, she'd hide.

We walked into Disneyland with an autograph book in hand and a firm resolve to follow her lead. (We soon discovered the backdoor to just about every attraction except Winne The Pooh.) But, our magical moment came when we saw Pluto, and she wanted out of the stroller, walked shyly towards him, then took a flying leap into his arms. :)

She was fine with all the characters. She'd wait in line for hours. And it certainly felt like HOURS in the summer sun. But she loved them. However, if their handlers so much as grinned at her, she'd hide her head in the character's skirt/body/hand-paw.

Ironically, one of my most magical memories of DL with my kids is sitting in the car. Looking at them in the rearview mirror. Hands clasped, eyes bright, pajama clad, staring patiently out the window, watching the miles go by on our 6 hour drive. "Do you want to stop and run around?" "No, thank you." No "are we there yet"s. No "I'm bored"s. Just starry eyed, hopeful expressions as they daydream. :)

dkthepainter
04-30-2008, 11:23 PM
I don't have any children, but still have, what I think may have been, a "magical kid moment". A little boy silently approched me in DCA after seeing my collection of pins, on the lanyard I was wearing, stoping me in my tracks. His mother appologized and explained that he wished to make a trade (It didn't dawn on me until later that day, and after being stoped by about two or three diferent people, that I was dressed simulairly to how a cast member might look. I think that's what he thought too.) Well I don't normally trade pins(I always buy, and keep, what I like) but not wanting to be a bad sport, I explained that I would trade any one pin excluding two that I wouldn't(a Bambi and Thumper two pin set), so I covered these with my hands. After choosing, I said that I would take a look at his pins and see if there was one that I liked, and he covered up quite a few of his own. His mother told him not too, but I said that was alright, he could just have the pin he selected from my collection, and after many polite thank you's we went our seperate ways. While walking away my friend leaned in to me and said "That was nice of you". Why is it that something so small, or seemingly unimportant, can have you walking ten feet tall? I think maybe this was a magical moment for me more than anyone.

Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Malcon10t
05-01-2008, 05:52 AM
I have so many. I've talked about my nieces reaction the first time she rode Autopia and Space Mountain. But, I thought this one was so funny.

My son was 22, so not really a kid, but still a kid at heart. It was Christmas and he had just graduated the CHP academy and he was SOOOO excited. He carried his badge EVERYWHERE (he supposed to, but still.) So, we are in line for Nemo and as he always did when he was little, as we got close to the front, he had to go to the bathroom. So, he headed to the bathrooms by Space Mountain. Coming back, he swings through the store by Star Tours. While glancing around, he notices a little girl who isn't paying attention. He watches and notices who he thinks is her mom walked off and about 10 seconds later, the girl (3-4yo) notices and starts crying. He goes over to her and asks if she was just with her mom. The girls just stares at him. What does he do? Pulls out his badge and says (very excitedly for the first time ever) "It's ok, I'm a cop." He got the mom, told her "You forgot your kid..." and came back to us. MDM and I rolled our eyes everytime he told this. But he was SOOO excited, he got to call himself a cop AND in Disneyland..

MammaSilva
05-01-2008, 06:58 AM
I've got a list of stories of magical moments too long to try and choose the best but one of my favorites...I'm the oldest of six, of the six of us only two of us have gone to Disneyland, one of the other 4 have been to WDW and the brother that has gone to DLR went to Epcot when his oldest was an infant but the nephew has no memories of course...so with that history...

Brother #2 of 4 (in birth order) is the only other sibling living in California...he has 3 kids, two sons and a daughter. We'd talked about taking the two families to Disneyland together for a long time but they were a one income family and he was active Military so the income didn't have a lot of room for big extras. It took a long time for them to save up to go...they drove down a day before Missy and I flew in to meet them but didn't go to the park before we arrived. Knowing my nephews are older and worried that they wouldn't appreciate the magic I plotted our course, we did what we call the mountain run...started them on Space Mountain, Matterhorn, then Big Thunder then dropped down to Indy then over to Splash...and everyone was having a blast except for my little niece, she was tall enough to ride but everytime we'd pass the hub she'd beg to go thru the castle but we'd keep telling her 'later' ....so it's finally twighlight and the twinkle lights are coming on and we're walking towards the hub from Frontierland....I make them walk to the hub to the partners statue and look at the castle...we head to the magic and as we walk thru the castle my oldest nephew stops and sort of twirls and hugs his dad and then his mom and then me and says to us ..

NOW I feel like I'm in Disneyland....

It was a big ah ha moment for all of us...never underestimate the magic even for older kids. Now anytime we take a newbie, the first thing is stroll up Main street, stop and say thanks to Walt and Mickey then right across the drawbridge and into the Magic.

yohomama212
05-01-2008, 07:42 AM
-The first time DD#1 saw the Princess float on the Parade of Dreams... She was so excited to see the Princesses I thought she was going to cry! I'm getting all weepy just thinking about this.

- DS looking up at me from the cue for POTC and saying, "Mommy, I knew we were coming here today, you were having a bad day and this makes you sooo happy!" He's 5 years old! Holy Cow! But I'll be darned if he wasn't right on the money with that assessment!

Elizabeth

daveywest
05-01-2008, 08:24 AM
My oldest was about 3. Mom and the baby were tired, so they headed back to the hotel for a nap. I've never enjoyed fantasy land more than the day I saw the "world" though my son's eyes.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
05-01-2008, 08:41 AM
There are so very many
But the ones that comes to mind:

My son, about 18 months old, fresh out of the tub at the Paradise Pier, running naked across the room and diving into his stoller. Sits down and announces "I go see Miiiii Mouse, NOW!!"

About a year later, he is sleepy, just got off Winnie the Pooh, he wanted a stuffed Tigger so we bought if for him. As my husband carries him out of the store tightly clutching his prize, Tigger sees him and actually leaves the meet and greet to come over and give him a hug.

Daughter about 3, have the greatest picture, she is talking to Sleeping Beauty, they are looking at her autograph book and she is pointing out who has signed it and telling Sleeping Beauty all about the other princesses

tinker3
05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
On a recent trip to DL we went through Mickeys house and did photo's. As we left my 4 yr old asked, "Mom, why is it every time we come to see Mickey, he has a sore throat"..what..."you know he's lost his voice" LOL. I did not have a good answer for this one!

Alisonsmom
05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
This is more of a magical day than a moment. I remember two halloweens ago when my daughter and my friends daughters were all dressed as disney characters and we went to the park. (my friend made the costumes). All the characters were coming up to us, we didn't even have to wait in line. Mary Poppins actually sneaked up on us! Even people in the park asked to have their pictures taken with our daughters. In Fantasy Land Alice, the Mad Hatter and Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee all grabbed our kids and rode the Tea Cups and Alice's ride with our kids. That was the best time we have ever had at the park. My daughter was only two so she probably won't remember so good thing I took pictures.

MrsPooh
05-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm sure I have tons, but I have two recent ones that come to mind.

Our last trip. Piglet is 12. When he was 4, his dad took him on Space Mountain, thinking he'd love it. He didn't. It scared the daylights out of him. After that he has refused to ride it again. Trip after trip he says he will, but when we get there and he sees the building, he says no.

This last trip we got him to stand with the CMs as we rode. I think it made him want to go. He announces, "I'm ready to tackle Space Mountain now." We rush right over immediately before he can change his mind.

The entire time we're riding I'm worried about him. Will he be upset? What does he think? We get off the ride and he says he thought it was AWESOME! So we get a picture of him standing outside the SM sign, giving a double victory salute with his fingers. He was so proud of himself, and we were proud of him. This was a huge step for him, and he was able to say that he conquered his fears.

Another moment was cool. We had watched a Travel channel show about DL before our trip. They mentioned that the firemans pole in the firehouse was one that Walt used often. How we never heard that was beyond me, but we made it a goal to get pictures of us on that pole this trip.

Then MrPooh has us get on the fire truck for pictures. I stand up and lean forward, my hands on the side, smiling at MrPooh. Piglet sits next to me. After the pic is taken, I look over to see what he's doing. He has his hat off, and over his heart, in respect for Walt. It was the coolest thing. Yeah, my kid is just that cool! ;)

Malcon10t, that was a priceless story! Thanks for sharing it!

illnevergrowup
05-01-2008, 07:22 PM
One of my favorite kid moments was during a DL parade about 18 years ago when my youngest son was about 10. We were sitting on the ground waiting for the parade; my son in front of me. There was a large family next to us with about a dozen children about 4-10 in ages. There was a lot of good-natured pushing and shoving to get the best seat and a lot of teasing each other. Suddenly most of them started picking on the youngest, Bethany, about 4 yrs old. Saying things like "Bethany is too little for that ride", "Don't give any (popcorn) to Bethany, she'll just spill it", etc. Then they started pushing her back, inch by inch, until she was no longer in the front. She was a very soft-spoken little girl who never answered back and just sat quietly, and seemed kind of overwhelmed and sad. Then two very nice things happened. First my son moved back with me and let Bethany have his place in the front. Then, during the parade, (one of the interactive ones where they were giving musical instruments to people to participate with), one of the parade members (a deer, I think), gave Bethany a little drum and a banging stick so she could keep time with the music. She was the only one chosen from our section and, all of a sudden, all her little relatives were very envious and giving Bethany a lot of positive attention.

It just felt so good to see the big smile that came across her little face. And I've always thought it was perfect timing, just like the parade CM knew what had been happening and chose her deliberately. It was great!

jazzysmom
05-02-2008, 06:56 AM
These are too great. I am feeling a bit teary eyed y'all! Keep 'em comin'.

clint999
05-03-2008, 11:04 PM
I have so many. I've talked about my nieces reaction the first time she rode Autopia and Space Mountain. But, I thought this one was so funny.

My son was 22, so not really a kid, but still a kid at heart. It was Christmas and he had just graduated the CHP academy and he was SOOOO excited. He carried his badge EVERYWHERE (he supposed to, but still.) So, we are in line for Nemo and as he always did when he was little, as we got close to the front, he had to go to the bathroom. So, he headed to the bathrooms by Space Mountain. Coming back, he swings through the store by Star Tours. While glancing around, he notices a little girl who isn't paying attention. He watches and notices who he thinks is her mom walked off and about 10 seconds later, the girl (3-4yo) notices and starts crying. He goes over to her and asks if she was just with her mom. The girls just stares at him. What does he do? Pulls out his badge and says (very excitedly for the first time ever) "It's ok, I'm a cop." He got the mom, told her "You forgot your kid..." and came back to us. MDM and I rolled our eyes everytime he told this. But he was SOOO excited, he got to call himself a cop AND in Disneyland..

Malcon10t
05-04-2008, 08:48 AM

Is there a reason you keep copying other people's posts without the credits and without responding ?

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
05-04-2008, 09:50 PM
this weekend my son was hoping he would finally be tall enough to ride Indy he stood up as tall as he could, stretched and still came up about a half inch too short ( I had his thick soled sandals at the hotel, but height limits are there for a reason!!) we walked away as the other kids got into line he told me "its okay mommy we can go visit the elephants and the hippos right next door" as we walked away he let go of my hand and ran back to the cast member next to the measuring stick. He told him "I'm going to eat lots of vegetables and drink my milk, next time I come here I will be five and this tall (picture little guy with hand over his hand about four inches above the redline) see you then Mr Indiana Jones Man!"

Tink Lover
05-04-2008, 11:51 PM
My daughter was 3 1/2 and on her first visit to Disneyland. I had heard about the autograph books, but decided it would be more fun and inspirational for my daughter to bring actual storybooks to DL for the princesses to sign. I'm a recovering perfectionist, what can I say?

We came across Snow White first, she was awfully sweet and spent a lot of time creating an elaborate signature on Trina Schart Hyman's version of Snow White. If you aren't familiar with Ms. Hyman's work, she creates amazingly beautiful and realistic illustrations.

Eventually we came upon Ariel, my daughter's favorite princess by far. As my DD presented a book for her to sign (a Disney version this time), Ariel just lighted up and said, "Oh, I'm so excited to meet you, Snow White told me all about you!". I suspect that seeing an actual book to sign was rather unusual, so the princesses must have discussed it during a break. Anyway, Ariel spoke to my DD for quite a long time, and seemed so charmed by all of her questions. My daughter was totally in seventh heaven, after all she was meeting the REAL, LIVE, ARIEL!!!!! We have a wonderful picture of both of them together, Ariel was so beautiful and had an extra magical twinkle in her eye.

Finally, Ariel gave my DD a big kiss on the cheek, and her red lipstick was left as a memento. I have second great picture of my completely blissed out child, a closeup of her face profile with that red kiss still fresh on it and her happy memories just twinkling in her eyes. For sure I'm biased, but I've never seen such a blissed out child, before or after.

Believe me, I've made my share of mistakes as a Mom, but I really felt that I hit a homerun that day by making the decision to bring the books to DL. It was such a great feeling for me, remembering that day and the pictures are putting a big, stupid smile on my face even now. :D

Pinkhoody
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I love so many of these stories- these I thought were especially sweet! ;)

Ironically, one of my most magical memories of DL with my kids is sitting in the car. Looking at them in the rearview mirror. Hands clasped, eyes bright, pajama clad, staring patiently out the window, watching the miles go by on our 6 hour drive. "Do you want to stop and run around?" "No, thank you." No "are we there yet"s. No "I'm bored"s. Just starry eyed, hopeful expressions as they daydream. :)

Finally, Ariel gave my DD a big kiss on the cheek, and her red lipstick was left as a memento. I have second great picture of my completely blissed out child, a closeup of her face profile with that red kiss still fresh on it and her happy memories just twinkling in her eyes.

He told him "I'm going to eat lots of vegetables and drink my milk, next time I come here I will be five and this tall (picture little guy with hand over his hand about four inches above the redline) see you then Mr Indiana Jones Man!"

MammaSilva, I always do it that way - Main Street, hub, castle... it just wouldn't occur to me to do it any other way, and probably wouldn't feel right. :)

Matterhorn Yodeler
05-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Is there a reason you keep copying other people's posts without the credits and without responding ?

I just read that quote and actually caught it myself that you had posted it before Malcon10t! I don't know what's up with that!

Clint999, if you need help with the "quote" function, just ask!

disneyjunkie
05-05-2008, 09:07 PM
EVerytime I think about my oldest dd waiting for Dumbo , she was about 3, and was so excited . Somehow she put her leg through the rail and it was a nice hot summer day, her leg swelled and of course it was a little chubby to begin with, the line started to move and her leg was stuck in the bars, she was calm cool and collected as 2 cast members came and tugged on each of the metal rails enough to get her knee out. She didnt hardly notice or miss a beat and ran to board her Dumbo.
The next is a picture of my youngest dd at disneyland at about 4, she is my fashion queen and there she is next to Donald with the sunglasses, Mickey ears and autograph book in hand. the next memory is of the same DD in a tutu dancing with her cheer squad in a parade where the dream squad picked the girls to be part of the parade. Same dd getting married at the DLH and Mickey and Minnie at the reception the adults were all over Mickey and Minnie I have never seen such a group of adults ( so ok they are not kids but believe me for about 30 mins you would have thought everyone one in the room was 5 ) trip over each other fighting their way to get pics and have fun with Mickey and Minnie.
Last is my grandson in the animation building with Jojo , it was a slow day at DCA I think we were the only ones at the meet and greet inside and the little guy and Jojo sat on the floor and played and bonded for about 1/2 hour with a rousing round of patty cake and imitating each other and Jojo holding him in her lap and whispering in his ear. Ah.. the magic and I am sure there are many more to come.