PDA

View Full Version : Flik's Fun Fair preview Oct 4

WizKidRyan
09-24-2002, 01:14 PM
I was wondering if an MousePad members will be attending the 5PM premium AP Flick's Fun Fair preview. I'll be there and would love to meet up with other members :)

silence
09-24-2002, 01:16 PM
was at DCA today and they opened FFF for a preview for all guests. too bad the "chew chew" train...the only ride my son wanted to ride....broke down on the second run. :(

roberts1398
09-24-2002, 01:24 PM
Not a very promising beginning. :rolleyes:

cstephens
09-24-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by roberts1398
Not a very promising beginning. :rolleyes:

I know the train was down for a while during the first Sunday of CM previews. That's what previews and soft openings are for - to work out the kinks. Maybe if they can work the kinks out now, it'll work better when it officially opens.

cemeinke
09-24-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by silence
was at DCA today and they opened FFF for a preview for all guests. too bad the "chew chew" train...the only ride my son wanted to ride....broke down on the second run. :(

Just saw Techie7's video of the attraction - dang that thing moves slow - so I guess it was operatting part of the day.

What I wonder is how those who bought preview packages for varying sums of money feel about todays preview?

RideMax Mark
09-24-2002, 06:31 PM
Any crowds to speak of at FFF?

merlinjones
09-24-2002, 09:57 PM
FFF = zzz...

Techie7
09-25-2002, 12:55 AM
No crowds in FFF. I think the fact that it was not advertised anywhere as being open helped contribute to this. You had to be in the park and walk over that way to even know it was open. I was able to do the entire land in under 30min. It was a walk on to every attraction and most were running at well under capacity. I rode the Chew Chew Train by myself. I found that the the "bumper cars" (Which are more of a "gentle nudge cars") took longer to load and unload then actually run. As the attraction started the first work out of a guests mouth was, "They have to do better then this!" The entire land is working out timing and SOP issues. While getting onto the Flyer a woman and her child were unable to get the door open on the car. A castmember came over and kicked the door to open it. Dot's Puddle Park was not functioning and I was sad that I did not get to see that but look forward to seeing it at opening. I think one of the nicest things in the land is the bathrooms. The sound of all the bugs pumped in along with the different green tiles is nice. I also like that Disney put in two family/handicap restrooms which should help out parents quite a bit. The land has some nice features but I don't know if it is going to draw the crowds the park is needing.

If you are at the park in the next few days stop by and see if it is open. Now is a good time to see it. Kudos to Disney for opening it up a little early to test feedback and traffic patterns. They do need to fix some directional signs as none of the exits are marked as such.

MonorailMan
09-25-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
A castmember came over and kicked the door to open it.

Old fasion repair works again! (J/K) :)

This shouldn't have to be done on a new ride. :)

Lost Boy
09-25-2002, 02:29 PM
Lost Boy here and I am really getting ticked off at the attitudes around here about anything DCA. Things like rides breaking down (especially during previews) happend even at (Shock) Disneyland! Go to Jim Hill site and read the article on people putting down Flicks Fun Fair before it even opens. Sorry if this offends you whiners and crabbers, but I as one of the long standing members of just about every Disney board there is, am getting pretty tired of it. PLEASE read Jim' Column on Flick. I agree with him 100%. If that destroy my credability with this group, then so be it.

www.jimhillmedia.com/index.html

Lost Boy:mad:

disguy
09-25-2002, 02:36 PM
I will be there the 4th to the 6th do they have any previews for dare I say...FREE? (with an APass)

Techie7
09-25-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
Lost Boy here and I am really getting ticked off at the attitudes around here about anything DCA. Things like rides breaking down (especially during previews) happend even at (Shock) Disneyland! Go to Jim Hill site and read the article on people putting down Flicks Fun Fair before it even opens. Sorry if this offends you whiners and crabbers, but I as one of the long standing members of just about every Disney board there is, am getting pretty tired of it. PLEASE read Jim' Column on Flick. I agree with him 100%. If that destroy my credability with this group, then so be it.

www.jimhillmedia.com/index.html

Lost Boy:mad:

I am not sure if your comments are directly linked with my post but I want to clarify. My comments were pointing out what I saw on a preview day and to point out a few things that need to be addressed. I think Disney is doing the right thing by allowing people into the area early to get feedback and see what needs to be done along with getting the systems and CM's broken in and up to speed. Obviously things are not going to function perfectly for the first couple months which is evident by the other attractions in DCA that have now stabilized (Screamin) and new rides that open at DL. Documenting these items that the park is working on and comments made by guests is no different then documenting the huge amounts of problems from when Disneyland opened. I am impressed with the amount of work and the end product knowing how long they had to open it in. The land almost doubles current offerings for children. These previews are allowing guests to give feedback to Disney on what they like and what they don't. Almost every review and person I have talked with including children and CM's have stated that Tuck and Roll should be faster. Along with these issues the only other major thing that was confusing about the land was a lack of signs marking exits only or some type of a gate. I watched quite a few people walk in the exit and have to turn around. I brought this up with the survey people and they said that they had gotten that comment and were working on addressing it. I think the land will grow as time goes on and will become even better then it is now.

What I would like to see is the park stay with the California theme or change it to something that will allow them to come up with areas such as a Bugs Land. I think this is the way the park is going as well.

Hydroman
09-25-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Techie7

What I would like to see is the park stay with the California theme or change it to something that will allow them to come up with areas such as a Bugs Land. I think this is the way the park is going as well.

How about both? I would theorize that the ant colony in Bug's Life could have been in California (except for the fireflys). That being said, how about expanding FFF to include a dark ride depicting an invasion of Flik's colony by fire ants, killer bees, or West Nile Virus mosquitoes such as whats happening in California right now ...... hey, that might be a plot for the Bug's Life sequal (Pixar squabbles aside) :D

And move Autopia to DCA ..... oops, wrong thread .....

Lost Boy
09-25-2002, 03:27 PM
No Techie 7 it wasn' directed at you. But rather to a lot of people who lately seem to have nothing better to do than rip apart DCA. You know what I find very interetsing in all this. We over here, in California and Florida, are praising Tokyo Disney Seas to the hilt and ripping into DCA with such hatred and spite. Well, guess what. The Japanese on their Disney Boards and at the Parks are complaining about the same things being wrong with Disney Seas as we do about DCA. Not enough for the kids. Too hot, Too cold. To big. Too much walking. No big E-Ticket rides except fot Journey, 20,000 leagues, Indy, and they are saying that even these rides are inferior to Disneyland.

So I guess the phenomenon of complaining is world wide.

I find it all rather silly myself. I love all Disney Theme Parks. No matter how small or how big, or how old or how new. Look at WDW in Florida. There is only one TOTALLY DISNEY Park in the whole lot. The Magic Kingdom. EPCOT is not anything remotely connected to Disney, there are no rides in that park that are connected to any Disney Movie. MGM/Disney Studio? Nope. Only the Animation exhibit is Disney. Animal Kingdom? Yes. Tarzan Rocks, Dinosaur, Tough to be a Bug, Lion King Celebration. AK is partially Disney. The big ride, Kilamanjaro Safari is not Disney Related. Niether is the Tiger Walk Through. Neither is the River Ride. But everybody in Florida crows about how big their Disney World is and lump all the Parks under the Disney Park banner. We have only two (so far) in California. Disneyland is the only true Disney Themed Park. DCA is not Disney Themed and only has three things that are even related to Disney (Animation Exhibit, Tough to be a Bug (from Animal Kingdom), and Muppets, (from MGM/Disney Studio).
I forgot where I was going with this, but I guess what I am trying to say is, give the new place a chance. They are closing things that don't work, building new things and improving all the time. Someday it will be a great Park. Even with the bad top management right now. But that too, will change someday.

merlinjones
09-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Yawn... FFF isn't worth arguing about either way. It's as irrelevant as the New Disney.

JeffG
09-26-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Yawn... FFF isn't worth arguing about either way. It's as irrelevant as the New Disney.

I'm so glad we have you here to tell us what discussions are worthwhile.

If you aren't interested in the subject, why reply?

-Jeff

Davideo
09-27-2002, 09:45 AM
I was also at DL/CA on Tuesday and came upon the preview of FFF. I loved the look and design of it, but I was done with it in about 15 minutes. Granted, the rides are for the VERY young, but even these rides, as nicely themed as they are, are pretty damn boring. The bumper cars barely move at all! I have a seven year old nephew and I can safely say that he'd be boarded stiff here. (His favorite ride is California Screaming).
I'm glad that I saw it this way, on an open day without crowds. It was a sweet little detour. I would have been really upset if I had paid extra money for an AP preview package deal. My opinion....another nail in the DCA coffin.

disguy
09-27-2002, 10:28 AM
Well, I ended up paying ten bucks for a preview ticket. So if I don't like it I wont care since I only spent very little. Personally, I don't care if it was an opening of a whole theme park I would not pay hundreds of dollars to preview it.