PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo - Much Ado About Nothing

Pages : [1] 2

Monte Cristo
04-29-2008, 07:08 PM
I finally got to ride Nemo this past weekend, and to say I was underwhelmed is a bit of an understatement. I knew going into it that it was essentially a glorified dark ride (no offense to dark rides, I simply mean that I was aware it wasn't meant to be a thrill ride like a coaster or Indy Jones), but I can't believe this is what all the hype was over.

First, the port holes are awful. They need to be bigger. It's bad enough that you're cramped into this tiny space, but then you have to almost break your neck to slouch enough to get a good view of anything. I'm not even that tall. If you're 6" or taller, get ready for a special little slice of hell trying to see anything.

Second, the animated projections added nothing. I was very much not impressed. There wasn't any one show moment that I would love to see again.

Third, the story is pretty simple - finding Nemo, but the execution is somewhat muddled. I had no idea how they got from point a to point b. It just seemed like a bunch of stuff crammed together and then you hear the Australian captain's voice at the end, signaling that the ride is over.

So, yes, I was very disappointed. Perhaps my mind will be changed, but this ride doesn't at all seem like a classic in the making. I absolutely would not ride it again if I had to wait any longer than 15 minutes to do so.

Big, big miss on DL's part as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame too. This one sounded great.

jenpace
04-29-2008, 07:39 PM
I know a lot of people feel the same way you do about Nemo. My family and I actually liked it a lot. Maybe all the negative reviews kept our expectations low :rolleyes:

Jenn

DianeM
04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
You have to think like a child. I didn't care much for Nemo, either, to tell the truth - but I remember being excited as a child when I rode the submarine ride, and I expect that other children are experiencing the same thrill I did. Not every ride can be "Space Mountain". Nor do they need to be. Nemo is a creative, unique ride that can be enjoyed by anybody. It's like Autopia. I don't care for it myself, but I recognize that it's an important part of every visit for kids.

By the way - I'm 5'10" and I had no trouble seeing out of the portholes. I don't know how they would impact a taller person, but I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to crouch a bit for the few minutes the ride lasts.

Big, big miss on DL's part as far as I'm concerned. It's a shame too. This one sounded great.

Jon
04-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Monte Cristo, it sounds like you never rode the old subs. Nemo is quite an improvement on those, and by the same token a certain amount of the new ride's charm comes from having experienced the old one. If you didn't, it can still be enjoyable, but it's not quite the same.

As for the portholes... I'm 6'3" and I've never had a problem. I find the ride extremely comfortable and relaxing. I could watch those bubbles all day.

I do agree that the hype is a bit much, but that's how it is with everything at Disneyland. Hype, hype, hype. I remember the hype for Indiana Jones (and the absurd wait time) when it first opened, and Mickey's Toontown before that, and Splash Mountain before that, and Captain EO before that. It's pretty tough to create something that will actually live up to the hype, but the hype is necessary for advertising. I'm surprised Disney doesn't hold a parade every time they install a new drinking fountain. You just have to take it with a grain of salt.

Heffalump
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I felt that way too. It isn't all that I had hoped it would and could be.

Bytebear
04-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Here is how I rank it. I will wait around 30 minutes if I don't have anything else to do. That said, I have probably been on it a dozen or so times. I do like it, but I don't like lines more. Oh, and I am 6' and I have no problem with the portholes. My partner is 6'2" with a large build, so we do take up more than a couple seats, but no problem looking out. I do like it better in the day for the lagoon view. I also like that you get different parts of the animations based on where you are in the sub. I try to get it so I see Dory spin out of control at the Whale scene. It also helps that Finding Nemo is one of my favorite movies.

dkthepainter
04-30-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm sorry (well not really. It just sounded polite), but I have to agree with "Monte Cristo". I waited two hours in line (my friend "norriski" insisted on riding it. Hope she doesn't read this), when it was still pretty new, and was rather dissatisfied. I love the movie very much, but wasn't expecting allot out of the attraction, and was still a little disappointed. It felt very much like touring a fishbowl (perhaps that's what they intended). I don't propose to throw out the idea of riding it again, but won't do so unless I have already visited my favorite Disneyland attractions, at least once that day, and the line is considerably short (no more than ten minutes, which is logically impossible, I'm sure).
By the way, I'm 6'2", very slim, and while I do not remember being entirely uncomfortable throughout the duration of the ride, I can't imagine how cramped larger folks must feel. And yes, I did ride the original subs, but was very young at the time.

carolinakid
04-30-2008, 04:03 AM
To quote the late Miss Peggy Lee..."Is that all there is?"

I rode the subs as a child back in the 60s but don't really remember much.
I actually think 20,000 Leagues at WDW had more to see. (That attraction is long gone.)
I guess I was just expecting more...
I'm 5'10". My partner is 5'9". Comfort wasn't an issue for us.
I'd only go again if the wait was reasonable. I'd like to see it once from the disabled guest area. I heard the views are better...

Monte Cristo
04-30-2008, 06:15 AM
You have to think like a child. I didn't care much for Nemo, either, to tell the truth - but I remember being excited as a child when I rode the submarine ride, and I expect that other children are experiencing the same thrill I did. Not every ride can be "Space Mountain". Nor do they need to be. Nemo is a creative, unique ride that can be enjoyed by anybody. It's like Autopia. I don't care for it myself, but I recognize that it's an important part of every visit for kids.

By the way - I'm 5'10" and I had no trouble seeing out of the portholes. I don't know how they would impact a taller person, but I can't imagine that it would be that difficult to crouch a bit for the few minutes the ride lasts.

Clearly I do think like a child, otherwise my wife and I wouldn't find ourselves at Disneyland as much as we do. ;)

I just didn't think the ride captured anything all that interesting.

DisneyFamilyOf6
04-30-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm not a big fan of it either, nor is my family. I don't know why everyone rushes over to it. If I passed by it and the line was really short then I might get in line but otherwise, I won't ever wait for it again.

TTFN92
04-30-2008, 07:08 AM
I liked it quite a bit. I think it is relaxing and pretty much what the subs used to be just with an updated storyline. For the people who wanted the subs back, that is what they got, and I was one of them. We only got to ride it once while we were there and I'm hoping that we'll be able to ride it again.

Personally, I think it is better to be a little taller. I am only 5'4" so I am in no way tall, I'm just comparing myself to a child. I found when I looked up I could see the top of the water and it kind of ruined the effect. I hoped that my kids wouldn't get it yet, at least the younger ones. I tried to sit back and up as much as I could so I would avoid seeing it.

petesimac
04-30-2008, 07:09 AM
I think everyone is over-thinking this thing. Few of the dark rides at Disney are overwhelmingly great; I mean, even Peter Pan is a fairly basic ride. It's the magic associated with the ride that makes it special. So many people put down Winnie the Pooh ride, but I love it; it takes me into the stories I love so much. Alice in Wonderland is, again, a very basic ride, but it reminds you of the movie, and hence, it's fun.

I've ridden the Finding Nemo ride at Epcot, and while many have said they don't like that ride, I think it's great. It's for fun! I am going to DL this summer and can't wait to see the Finding Nemo ride. I know I'll enjoy it because I enjoy every ride at Disney, even the "lame" ones. It's Disney, it's fun, relax and enjoy. They can't "shoot the works" on every attraction; they'd go bankrupt and then where would we be? They're about to spend gazillion dollars on a DCA revamp, afterall, they can't make every ride an Expedition Everest.

No offense intended here, I just think we need to constantly remind ourselves that the parks are designed for kids and kid-at-heart types to have fun and escape the real world for a while.

Corith
04-30-2008, 08:15 AM
I found it really lacking in charm. Sure, its got these great cut scenes with Nemo annimation but way too much is looking at barren rock that divides the "theaters".

In compared to the previous attraction, I think the animation effects are over used.

Mark Mywords
04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
I quite like the attraction. We've ridden it 4 times now. The last time (our first at night) was when it finally "Clicked" for me.

I think the long queue wait time for Nemo really gets peoples expectations up for what is,by no means, an E ticket attraction.

That last time we rode, we waited 18 minutes in line. That was just right and probably had a lot to do with why I exclaimed "That was really cool!" when we got off the sub. :)

ssturgeo
04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
I guess the charm for me is because the lagoon is once again filled with water and attractive....waiting in line now brings back memories of waiting in long lines for the old subs when my boys insisted on riding it once more...and some of the references to the old sub voyage make me smile. But then, I love ALL of the attractions at DL, of course some more than others, but they all make me feel like a kid again, and bring joy to each and every day I am lucky enough to be there. My only expectations when I walk through the tunnel (right side of course!) are that I really will leave the world behind, and be immersed in magic.

nojarama
04-30-2008, 09:51 AM
I guess the charm for me is because the lagoon is once again filled with water and attractive....waiting in line now brings back memories of waiting in long lines for the old subs when my boys insisted on riding it once more...and some of the references to the old sub voyage make me smile. But then, I love ALL of the attractions at DL, of course some more than others, but they all make me feel like a kid again, and bring joy to each and every day I am lucky enough to be there. My only expectations when I walk through the tunnel (right side of course!) are that I really will leave the world behind, and be immersed in magic.

That's pretty much how I feel about myself. Plus watching small kids today enjoying the wonderment is another plus. I think they did a great job myself. Much better than the original IMO.

ralfrick
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Never rode 20K in WDW, but have watched a video of it and the DL subs in the same sitting, Pretty much the same ride. First time on Nemo I wondered if I'd romanticized my sub memories, but only outside. Thought it very well done in the cavern.

Cheers.

MKY4ME
04-30-2008, 10:10 AM
when I ask guests what their favorite things they did at the park during their visit it is invariably Space Mountain first but then NEMO is a resounding second or no lower than third. So it seems that it is very popular with most of the guests I encounter....I personally love it too. Not all attractions can be popular with everyone I know....:)

MiaTurner
04-30-2008, 10:54 AM
My parents literally fell asleep on that ride :p But as the ultimate disney freak of the household, I still need to see for myself

Disney Donna
04-30-2008, 11:09 AM
:mad: We were definitely uncomfortable during the entire ride. I'm 5'4" and my sister is 5'1". So what's the problem?! The person next to my sister was big and took up half her seat. My sister had no choice but to over-compensate and lean into my seat. The seating and viewing is designed so that you look directly out of your own little seat into your own teeny tiny window. But if someone takes up your space, you are not able to do that. We couldn't wait for the ride to end. :mad:

Boo's Mommy
04-30-2008, 11:22 AM
It's a cute ride, must do - at least once. My kids soooo do not like it. DD finds it boring.

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
I think the long queue wait time for Nemo really gets peoples expectations up for what is...

I totally agree with this sentiment! I really enjoyed the ride on my first visit, where we waited nearly an hour. But in the future, I would not want to wait that long. I certainly want to go again though.

Everyone has to determine for themselves what an appropriate wait time is to experience an attraction and have it be "worth the wait".

I guess the charm for me is because the lagoon is once again filled with water and attractive...

Part of the appeal of the attraction is seeing the subs tour the lagoon and seeing the seagulls on the big buoy. I love watching the subs disappear under the first waterfall and re-emerge out of the other. It's a beautiful setting and definitely enhances all of Disneyland Park, whether you are waiting in line, or traveling over it on the Monorail, or driving next to it on Autopia.

Plus it is a unique ride vehicle! And, even though you are not completely submerged, you are underwater during the show! How many of us get to experience that in our lives outside of DL?

I loved the subs as a kid and was sad when the attraction closed down. I am greatful that they have re-themed this ride. The NEMO animation is beautiful and looks 3-D. It's a joyous underwater adventure.

saucydiva
04-30-2008, 12:02 PM
I agree that Nemo is not the most dynamic ride experience of all time. However, I finally figured out what made some voyages on Nemo much better than others. It seems like the narration makes a LOT more sense when I am seated toward the back of the sub, it's better synchronized with what I'm viewing through the porthole.

Of course, it's probably not possible to plan where you're going to sit, but maybe you can organize it with the other people in your little "holding pen" while waiting (and waiting, and waiting) to board.

Yeah, the line is still too long much of the time. On the other hand, an eleven minute ride in cool darkness might just be worth the wait on a hot day.

What's "Disney"?
04-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Having ridden both the new and old, I think Disney did a perfect job in updating and marketing this ride for a new generation of guests. A very neat attraction, indeed.

MrsPooh
04-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I'd like to see it once from the disabled guest area. I heard the views are better...

Check it out next time you're in DL. It's a neat little room, and the theme is done well.

I had to do it that way, severe claustrophobia would not allow me to ride. My boys said the ride was basically the same, except you can see different angles out a porthole that you can't on a screen. I really didn't miss anything.

I rode it once as a child, and I have a DVD of the old ride. I think Nemo is quite an improvement. The old version would be considered boring by today's standards.