PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to show a Cast Member that I appreciated their magic?

HisKid
04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Is there some formal process that I can use to send an attaboy (without tromping over to someplace and standing in line to do so) or notify a higher-up that someone has done a really great job? Does that CM then find out about it specifically?

I have worked in public service-type jobs, and they can be such a bear when people are rude and show off such an air of entitlement and superiority. When someone goes out of their way to make my day/meal/life easier or more wonderful in some way, I frequently will ask for the store/restaurant manager, and then praise the employee right in front of them, to their boss. I'm not sure how this would work in DL, though.

Suggestions?

P.S. If this is the wrong place for this, moderators feel free to move it. Sorry.

Niwel
04-24-2008, 02:30 PM
You can go to City Hall and ask for a "compliment form." Fill out all the information you can. The CM and his/her lead (manager) will get to see it and it will go on file. Believe me, it is much appreciated! :)

HisKid
04-24-2008, 02:35 PM
You can go to City Hall and ask for a "compliment form." Fill out all the information you can. The CM and his/her lead (manager) will get to see it and it will go on file. Believe me, it is much appreciated! :)

Can I just pick up some forms in advance, do you think? I could keep them in my Disney bag, and fill them out right away. If I have to go back to City Hall, and remember the cm's name, etc., I KNOW I will forget. Are they forms that you mail back in?

Niwel
04-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Can I just pick up some forms in advance, do you think? I could keep them in my Disney bag, and fill them out right away. If I have to go back to City Hall, and remember the cm's name, etc., I KNOW I will forget. Are they forms that you mail back in?

You turn them back in at City Hall. I don't know if they will let you take extras, but next time you go, keep a pen and a piece of paper with you to jot down a name if you need to. That way if you have more than one, you can write them up at the same time.

PanFan
04-24-2008, 03:02 PM
You can also go to the DL website and go to Contact Us, but you'd need to jot the name down before you leave the park so you can do it when you get home at your leisure.

While at the park, you could try to track down a lead (or manager), but that wouldn't be very easy and honestly, they can easily forget to pass the message along to the CM or put it on their record. The best way to let a CM know you appreciated them is to fill out an official compliment either at City Hall or on the website. This will go to their management team, be printed out as a certificate for the CM to keep (at least that's what they do in FL), and be put onto their official record. Really great compliments can lead to various rewards (I know of two from FL who got a night in the Mickey Mouse Penthouse because of guest compliments).

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I will check into the website. I have wanted to leave a compliment for the Mark Twain captain who let us ride in the wheelhouse, since January. You can read about my experience in a trip report called "Disneyland Whistle Blower". And of course, I haven't remembered to stop by City Hall on other trips.

Thanks for the tip.

adriennek
04-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Can I just pick up some forms in advance, do you think?

No. They keep close tabs on them. Sometimes they won't even let me have the form. They hold on to it and insist on filling it out themselves or take notes on a notepad and I never even see a form.

I keep a note pad in my purse. I can write down a name if I need to. Otherwise, if you're specific enough, they can figure out who it is:

"I was at XYZ location at 3:00 pm and it was a female with This color hair about this length." etc.

Adrienne

MammaSilva
04-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Another voice in the wilderness, Take the time to do it...even if you need to make a 'special trip' up Main Street. One trip ( a few trips back) AdrienneK and I were there with all 4 kids, a wheelchair, an ECV, a stroller, the youngest wasn't even a passholder so that gives you our age range...we went to Pizza Port for lunch and got the most amazing ever CM's that were so ON it for guest services ...they helped us gather trays of food, find tables for us, helped in every single way we could have ever needed/imagined...later that day while I entertained the troops Adrienne went to City Hall and took the time to let them know who made the magic happen for us. We tend to have a great experience which is above and beyond the 'standard' on most trips and we try to make sure we let the supervisors know their team is keeping the magic alive.

ChipmunkStar
04-24-2008, 10:55 PM
We want stories! :D

ssturgeo
04-25-2008, 08:04 AM
I always do both...form and website...can take the time to go into more detail when using the website. They will not let you take the form from City Hall, you must fill it out and turn it in there.

I have always gotten responses when sending kudos to CM's via the website...first and acknowledgement that it was received, and then a personal answer to my email

Drince88
04-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Also, if it's appropriate, tell them when you're through that you really appreciate what they did for you!

I was at dinner at Ralph Brennan's before MA with my sister and we were seated next to a large table that was over 1/2 kids under 10 (one of the girls may have been about 10). The adults were all at one end, the kids at the other. I ALMOST asked to get moved, but when we arrived, they were behaving well enough, coloring or whatever waiting for their food. Once the food arrived, though - OMG. We even had a little boy come up to us, while we were eating, with his stuffed dog and 'barked' at us. I finally had to say "We don't feed dogs at the table" and he responded back "It's a stuffed animal, it's not a dog". Not one peep from parent or other adult 'Johnny, quit bugging those ladies' or anything.

There server, though, was doing a GREAT job dealing with them. Kid didn't want a sundae, wanted just plain ice cream - no problem, a new dessert came out. etc. I finally called him over and said that he deserved a BIG tip from that table (he wasn't our server) and he said that he probably wouldn't get one, but that he really appreciated me saying that, since he was feeling pretty run ragged by them.

So TELL the cast member if at all possible.

Niwel
04-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Also....
PLEASE send any stories into Cast Place so the MousePlanet readers can share in your magic (see my sig for info).

MammaSilva
04-25-2008, 09:51 AM
We want stories! :D

There isn't enough time/room to share all the wonderful stories....from the 'front line' CM's at various food locations that say to us "wait one moment, we'll be happy to help you with that" to being in line to visit one of the characters and getting what I consider 'above and beyond' attention because we've taught the kids to be polite, be patient and be appreciative. To the Mickey that understands that Cman needs just ONE more hug before we drag him kicking and screaming out of the room...people look at us like we've beat the child and forced him to visit, they have no way of knowing the tears are because he had to say goodbye...to the loading CM that understands how important that ride in the caboose is or how important it is to Missy to be able to be the driver on Indy and we are always willing and ready to wait as long as they need us to for that to happen.

Front line CM's make the magic happen first hand...the behind the scenes folks might be responsible for the attractions being there, but if that CM isn't on board with the show then we might as well go to Knotts...

MrsGrumpy
04-25-2008, 09:56 AM
tdelaney98 makes some really neat certificates...(I think it was certificates)...I read about them on her trip report. I think the report is titled "Delaney Extravaganza" and is under WDW trip reports.

Here it is: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=83473&highlight=delaney+extravaganza

Baloo
04-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Its always worth the time to leave written feedback at cityhall.

I will never forget this one CN in the Emporium. She really went out of her way to help me out.

My niece had an accident and was in ICU for several weeks. When we were finally allowed to take her something to her room i decided to drive out to the resort and find her stuff that had her favoriate character.

I had remembered seeing a backpack that had the shape of Winnie the pooh but when i got there they were all out.

This CM saw me going back and forth looking thru every shelf trying to find one so she came up to me and asked me if she could help. I told her my situation and she got on the phone and called every possible store. We were amazed that the one time we needed a winnie the pooh specific item is was all gone. Finally she found one of the shops that had soemthing similiar. It was just Winnie the poohs head. I asked her where it was and she told me to wait. Within minutes someone had brought it over be`cause she knew i did not have the time to be running up and down the park.

After she gave me the backpack and i paid for it she told me to wait. Within minutes she came back with a whole assortment of coloring books, pens, pencils, crayons and other trinkets and told me that they were a gift so that my little niece could pass the time in her hospital bed.

She then told me to please go to city hall and give them my name. I was not sure what to expect but did as told.

When i got to cityhall I told them who i was and the CM there asked me if it was ok if Winnie the pooh autographed the backpack. Supposedly the nice CM in the emporium had called winnie the pooh and told him that a little girl was in the hospital and that she was a big fan of him. Winnie the pooh then decided that he needed to do something special.

I gave the CM the backpack and she asked me to please wait. She came back a few minutes later with the backpack signed and a big glossy photo of Winie the pooh that not only had his signature on it but also had my nieces name on it. I was amazed since i had only mentioned my nieces name to the cm in the Emporium. She actually took the time to pass that info over to city hall and Winnie the pooh.

That moment was amazing, they did not have to do any of this but it felt so good that complete strangers to a little time to show love to a child that they ahd not met YET.

adriennek
04-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Baloo,

Next time you post a story like that, can you please put a TISSUE WARNING at the top? That really would've helped. Thank you.

;)
Adrienne