Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Man Allegedly Caught Molesting Girl At Disney-Area Hotel - WFTV, 4/30/07

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Man Allegedly Caught Molesting Girl At Disney-Area Hotel - WFTV, 4/30/07

http://www.wftv.com/news/13225455/detail.html

QuikQuote: Orange County investigators believe a southwest Florida man may have been targeting children at local hotels for several days before his arrest. William Bishop was allegedly caught in the act molesting an 8-year-old girl near a hotel at Walt Disney World on Friday.

[...]

Investigators believe 61-year-old William Bishop has been molesting children for a long time. This time, an 11-year-old boy said he witnessed the crime in the bushes at the Swan Resort at Walt Disney World on Friday.

2. # ADS

Disney World & Star Wars fan Chicago Wookiee's Avatar

Yuck!

We all feel that Disney is so safe but the real fact is in the world today you can't stop being a parent even for a second. You can say "oh, Disney should have had security to catch him" but there are things you just can't prevent if parents are not the first line of defense.

Kudos to the man and his son. Without their watchful eyes who knows what would have happened!

I have to wonder if he was staying on Disney property... with a gun in the car??

Anthony w/ 16 year old son. Most recent visits Oct 2009 Pop, 2008 Contemporary, and June 2007 at POR & Pop.
    "I'd say it's been my biggest problem all my life... it's money. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true." Walt Disney

So sad. Goes to show anything can happen anywhere. And my friends give me grief for not letting my 12 year old son and 10 year old son run around Disneyland unsupervised. Not saying that anything would happen but you never know anymore.

That man is just sick. My heart goes out to the families of the victims and the boy who witnessed it. Thank goodness he is locked up.

This is a shame. Sadly, a lot goes unseen at WDW (or anywhere, for that matter). My wife and I were asked a couple of times if we had pot last Summer while staying at Pop Century. I couldn't believe it. A whole group of teens acting like fools and no one said anything to them. Cursing loudly pushing and shoving exclaiming how they needed drugs and beer. So I sat and watched for a moment until the whole crew came up to my wife and I. We were sitting for a moment outside the commisary near the pool. We're both teachers. The ringleader spoke up and said "hey you, dude--you got any weed to sell? We really need to get high. You look like a cool dude. How about it?"

My reply was simply, "I'm a cop. You still want some weed, kid? I can arrange it?"

They all scattered like roaches.

A similar situation happened again a few days later.

The summer before that, I was followed by a large group of kids from the commissary. They wanted my pizza and kept badgering me. They siad a few nasty things to me. I just kept walking.

George and Ashley
    Murfreesboro, TN

WHen I was on the phone in the london phone booths in Epcot there was a couple "having fun" in the bushes when 2 CM's came out of a hidden door. No one said a word to them.

WOW! Call me naive, I'm blown away by these stories. I've been to DisneyWorld 5 times (6th time in 15 days) and have never encountered any kind of ugliness like this there. The worst thing I can remember experiencing is a man getting really angry while we waited for a bus once, bad enough that he made me nervous and we moved. One of the reasons I've always loved DisneyWorld so much is that you don't deal with many rude/bad people and "real world" stuff like this there--or so I thought. That makes me really sad. I hope we don't encounter any kids like steamboatpookster did when we're at Pop in 2 weeks.

Disney World & Star Wars fan Chicago Wookiee's Avatar

One of the things I did notice when we stayed at ASMo last year was the change in the "class" of people. Many people we encountered were just fine and enjoying their vacation but we also ran into a number of unsavory people and teenagers that we had not seen at any of the moderate resorts.

Now I come from a very under class childhood and have spent a great deal of time in parts of Chicago one would never choose to live in. But... it's how you raise your children that makes a difference and I believe that many parents don't spend enough time guiding our young people correctly the way my parents did with me. It didn't matter where I came from but how I was raised.

I trust my son away from me to act correctly and treat adults with respect but it's the uglies out there I'm worried about like this sick man that was caught. It makes you hug your kid a bit tighter before bed.

Anthony w/ 16 year old son. Most recent visits Oct 2009 Pop, 2008 Contemporary, and June 2007 at POR & Pop.
    "I'd say it's been my biggest problem all my life... it's money. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true." Walt Disney

The worst incident we had at WDW was a man cussing out the CM on one of the trams because they asked him to take his child out of the stroller and collapse it down before they would start the tram. The mom was crying and carrying on because the child was asleep and it would disturb nap time. Everyone else was just rolling their eyes.

Personally, I don't allow my kids (3 and almost 10) to ever go anywhere unattended or unsupervised, and I don't know when I'll be comfortable enough to allow it. Just because it's the Happiest Place on Earth doesn't mean it's exempt from sadness and tragedy. I wouldn't want to be taken in and feel safe, and have something horrible happen that would forever ruin the magic for my children. It's like people who leave their valuables in their stroller while they go on a ride; it's easy to feel safe but it's a false sense of security. Criminals are everywhere, just looking for their next target.

Maybe they should unleash Tigger on that child molester!!! There's a perfect solution!

Disney trips: January 1976, July 2003, July 2005, July 2007, and December 2008!

We're going to spend Christmas at WDW!

Wandering lonely as a cloud...

Several years ago I read a novel about two children being kidnapped by perverts from a quiet pool at Coronado Springs. The actual name of the resort was not used, but it was obvious. I don't remember the name of the novel.

I know it was only a novel, but since it was right before a trip to CSR I was really cautious and aware.

The mosquito's food of choice, primitive humanoid lifeforms, have colonies all over that planet.

"some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"-311

At Walt's in Disneyland Paris DisneylandForever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amc1217 View Post
    WOW! Call me naive, I'm blown away by these stories.
    I don't think you're naive. I've been to WDW 4 times and DL 100's of times, and I've never had kids chase me, seen couples "having fun" in the bushes, etc.

I hope this dude gets locked up for a long time. And in prison, he'll get what's coming to him!

If you look at the guy's photo, how the heck could Disney World security been able to catch him before the act? He looks like almost all the younger grandfatherly types that visit Disney World every year. And remember that the roads going through Disney World are public roads. The Fantasia miniature golf course, a public course, is right across the street from the Swan. People just need to take the same precautions while at Disney World than they would at any other place. It may seem to us that no harm is going to happen at Disney World but unless gates and security is installed along all routes leading into Disney World and a background check is done on every visitor, it's just like going to any other tourist destination. No, I wish it wasn't like that but last time I checked, I lived in reality.

Save damsel-kill bad guys-save world jMom's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    So sad. Goes to show anything can happen anywhere. And my friends give me grief for not letting my 12 year old son and 10 year old son run around Disneyland unsupervised. Not saying that anything would happen but you never know anymore.
    I am with you. I know from firsthand experience that child predators know where kids will be, and stake out school routes, playgrounds, and amusement parks. And sadly, even more children are molested by "trusted" family members and friends. You never can tell, so it's good to be careful of your kids and teach them how to protect themselves. Knowing they should yell "No!" and run away as quickly as they can can help a lot.

I'd like to know if Disney intends to step up security sweeps near their resorts.
    Bob Genghis Khan, So-crates Johnson, Dennis Frood, & uh, uh... Abraham Lincoln // I've been ionized ... but I'm okay.
    "The imp of the perverse made me do it. I said ‘yes’. Why curse the darkness when someone offers you a blowtorch, hey?" - R. McKinley

Last fall my DIL & I had staked out our place to watch Illuminations. We were on one end of & right outside one of the handicap sections. Right outside the other end was a young couple who really needed to "get a room". She was sitting on the railing & he was facing her. His hands were all over her: up under her top & down into her shorts. We finally told the CM that was stationed at the handicap section. He went over & said something to them. We could not hear what was being said, and the couple did not look happy, but they left. Now, as you can imagine, there were kids, of all ages around. Some young kids were with their grandparents (??) in the handicap section. They didn't need to see something like that. Nor did we!!

We just saw a segment on our local news tonite about the family who contacted security about this lunatic. The boy was very mature for his 11 years. They contacted our newstation as sort of a public service. So kids would be more aware of their surroundings. It was a very responsible thing to do.

Like it was mentioned, this guy (based on his picture-mug shot?) looked like many of the other grandfathers vacationing at DW. Disney can't be held responsible at all for this.

You've just got to be careful with your most prized possession! And like someone else said, give them an extra hug tonite.

Just back and I miss Disney already!!

Disney Enthusiast.

That's so horrible! What is our society coming to? It seems no one is truly ever safe anymore, even at the happiest place on earth. I'm honestly in total shock.