Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Napping In the Parks

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Napping In the Parks

Napping In the Parks by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel shares tips and tricks for keeping chidren well rested during a Disney theme park vacation

Read it here!

2. # ADS

My boys would love for me to rent a stroller for them, but they are 17 and 14. But really anytime you can get younger children to take a break and rest it a wonderful idea. It will make the experience so much better for them. Great article.

WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

When friends brought their toddler last year to WDW (under a year old at the time), she was so easy to deal with it didn't even require planning. When she'd rack out someone would just sit with her in the shade while others hit the rides.

I even sat with her by that store at the top of the steps to down to Splash while they rode that--tired to make sure Bekka wasn't left out by always having to stay with her. She slept through a performance of British Revolution with me, and even slept through the entirety of IllumiNations (which I still can't believe). I don't have any parasites of my own, so I normally don't have to think about it...it just worked out on its own.

I didn't read the entire article... Did they mention napping places for old kids? My Dad usually wakes himself up snoring at least a couple times in CoP, HoP, and I think he even managed to nod off in the circle of life theatre (a real feat considering how crazy loud it is).

Joey

For stroller use, I will say that there's a big difference between WDW and Disneyland. Our last trip to WDW, the kids were 7,5, and 1. We brought a double stroller for the big kids and an umbrella for the little one. So glad we did it that way, because the walking there is incredible. The next year, we went to Disneyland and only brought a stroller for 1. That worked out really well. The older two got along fine for the most part, and it has to do with the small size of both parks. There are no mile loops like there is at Epcot or AK. If I were to go to WDW right now, I'd probably be tempted to bring the double stroller. The now 3yo will definitely need it, but it would give a break to one of the others, even though they're 7 and 9. It may look funny, but the last thing I want to do is walk to the bus, wait for it, spend hours at the resort, wait for another bus, walk all the way into the park again...... That alone seems to exhausting.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

I had a 5-day trip to WDW recently with my 3-yr-old, we stayed at Saratoga Springs. We came back to the hotel to nap every day, and they were the longest naps she has ever had!! Occasionally we had to wait for a bus back to the resort, but in the middle of the day the buses are cool and empty. We only rented a stroller for AK and Epcot... MK is fine with no stroller, in my opinion.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

DH and I still talk about how much fun *we* had on our trips to the MK when Cub would nap. We'd quickly get the monorail to the Poly and go out to the end of the bar where the beach starts and sit in the shade and have an adult beverage. We lament the loss of that time we had together to just sit, relax and enjoy a drink since Cub stopped napping 3 years ago!

Karin

Last time we were at DL the kids were 1 year, 2.5years, and just turned 4. We had a tandem stroller and an umbrella stroller - I would just throw the umbrella in the back of the tandem when the older two wanted to walk. All of our stroller napping was done while waiting for the oldest to get finished riding the bigger rides with dad or just while walking from one part of the park to the other. We aren't "find a quiet place" to nap sorts of people - our kids get a sleep on the go. For our next trip the kids will be 6, 4, 3, and 9 months and we have the same game plan - only with 2 umbrella strollers and a baby carrier.