Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: That's My Opinion: I Miss...

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

That's My Opinion: I Miss...

I Miss... by Steve Russo

Steve takes a nostalgic tour of a few bygone attractions.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Great article Steve- I'm mid 30's and think back on how "the World" has changed. I agree with you that Philharmagic, Mission Space, Everest, etc are great additions, there are a few things that I wish would return.

I was never a adventurers club fan, but I did love that Pleasure Island existed. I admit it was probably better in its incarnation as a ticketed area (as opposed to the free admission that I feel lead to its downfall) but I enjoyed that there was an "adult" area in the park. I always remind people that adults are parts of family too and that especially after a day in the park its good to have a place to kick back sans kids if that's what you want. Pleasure island was that place- a place to have some laughs, listen to some music, and order a drink or two without feeling completely out of place and/or taking a break from kids.

Tapestry of Nations is another I liked- it was larger than life and a lot of fun. The huge puppets, the rolling drums- these are things you only would see at Disney World, which is something I love about visiting. There was something cool, even as an adult, to get a handshake from a 20 foot puppet and be impressed by the artistry of it. When combined with the illuminations fireworks, it made a really entertaining 2 hour block that capped off a good day at Epcot.

A couple you didn't include but which I miss is Timekeeper (92-2004) with Robin Williams. Buzz Lightyear is a lot of fun in that same spot, but it was just a really fun show (even if you had to do the 360 theater stand/lean). Robin Williams was a lot of fun and it fit well with tomorrowland well. Also, Cranium Command/Body Wars/Wonder of life pavilion. Another couple of enjoyable shows with a good kid friendly education aspect to it. I know it gets used as event space for the food and wine and flower and garden festival space, but the other 2/3 of the year nothing is going on.

Welcome Foolish Mortals..... ChoEarfan1's Avatar

Having been a Guest at WDW since the week after opening day, there is only one attraction that I truly miss: 20,000 Leagues! I know the subs leaked, the line was slow, it was hot and all the other complaints but this was hands down my favorite attraction. I have fond memories as a youngster of my first ride on the Nautilus and BELIEVING we were really going under water!

Don

Yeah I'm 57 and I still go to Disney World!
    Don't forget it all started with Mickey and almost ended with Mikey!
    First trip: October 09, 1971 Next trip: Wandering the Magic Kingdom right now in my head!

My only memory of Superstar Television is from our first trip to WDW as a family in summer 2001. I was picked out of the crowd to be in a scene from Home Improvement, playing the part of Al. It was a hoot. I only wish they made recordings of the scenes available to the participants, even to purchase as I would have bought one for sure.

Mike Walter

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkelm44 View Post
    A couple you didn't include but which I miss is Timekeeper (92-2004) with Robin Williams. Buzz Lightyear is a lot of fun in that same spot, but it was just a really fun show (even if you had to do the 360 theater stand/lean). Robin Williams was a lot of fun and it fit well with tomorrowland well. Also, Cranium Command/Body Wars/Wonder of life pavilion. Another couple of enjoyable shows with a good kid friendly education aspect to it. I know it gets used as event space for the food and wine and flower and garden festival space, but the other 2/3 of the year nothing is going on.
    I don't remember what was where Buzz Lightyear is - but Monsters, Inc is where Timekeeper was.

TOTALLY agree about Cranium Command. I was very fortunate and had one last trip when they were opening the pavillion 'at busy times' and got to see Cranium Command one last time, knowing that it was likely to be the last time.
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I don't remember what was where Buzz Lightyear is - but Monsters, Inc is where Timekeeper was.

TOTALLY agree about Cranium Command. I was very fortunate and had one last trip when they were opening the pavillion 'at busy times' and got to see Cranium Command one last time, knowing that it was likely to be the last time.
    Before Buzz was If You Had Wings, Dreamflight, etc.
    Steve

I do miss Pleasure Island. 8 Traxx was always a must do for my boyfriend and me on those nights when the parks close on the early side. I agree a lot of PI's problems started when they started the free admission.
    I also have a soft spot for Mr Toad, Horizons, If You Had Wings, Circle Vision 360 in Tomorrowland, the Skyway, Superstar Television, the Studios' original Backstage Tour and Animation Tour and the Plaza Swan Boats!

I also miss the Adventureland Veranda!

John

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I do miss Pleasure Island. 8 Traxx was always a must do for my boyfriend and me on those nights when the parks close on the early side. I agree a lot of PI's problems started when they started the free admission.
    I also have a soft spot for Mr Toad, Horizons, If You Had Wings, Circle Vision 360 in Tomorrowland, the Skyway, Superstar Television, the Studios' original Backstage Tour and Animation Tour and the Plaza Swan Boats!

I also miss the Adventureland Veranda!
    The Skyway--we talk about that EVERY time we see it in old pictures/lithographs...Good one.
    Joey

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

Great article as usual, Steve! I remember my hubby & I participating in a Cheers segment in the Superstar Television attraction many years ago, and we both LOVED the Monster sound show with Martin Short and Chevy Chase...totally hilarious! Drew Carey and his Sounds Dangerous show was a replacement where I think Disney really missed the boat, all because Drew had a TV show on ABC at the time.

I love Disney music (I'm listening to Subsonicradio.com as I type this), especially that Millenium CD...Tapestry of Nations and IllumiNations together? FANTASTIC!

Count us as big fans of the Comedy Warehouse too...we would do the same thing, exit one show and get in line for the next!

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

I can't say I miss the hydroculators - they seemed to just slow everything down. And I still like the Imagination pavillion as is.

But, man oh man, do I ever miss those Beaver Tails. Those were incredible. I still remember strolling by Canada and a couple actually from Canada came to us and said we had to try the Beaver Tails. Especially with "real Canadian maple", or so they said. So we got one with chocolate and maple - it was the best treat I've ever had. Period. And then it closed by the time we could return. Heartbreak City, dude. Miss that place a lot.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

Steve, I completely agree with almost everything on your list. As I was reading it I kept needing you to acknowledge Horizons - glad you finally did. I think my favorite bygone attraction would have to be the Timekeeper. I finally got the soundtrack from the web onto my mp3 player, so I can relive the show from time to time. There's also a pretty good version of it on Youtube.

The only thing on your list that wasn't on mine was the beaver tails - not because I didn't like 'em, but because I never got the pleasure (and now never will . . .).

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Going way back, I still miss the Mickey Mouse Review from the early days of the Magic Kingdom. I only saw it once in 1979 when I was 7 but I loved it and was very dissapointed that it was gone (to Tokyo) when I went back in 1986. Now that it's no longer in Tokyo, I'm holding out hope that the Three Caballeros figures might someday find their way to the finale of the Grand Fiesta Tour. It's a longshot but a guy can hope.

It's been great to see your articles back on Mouse Planet, Steve. I, too, miss the original Journey into Imagination attraction and Image Works - both were really great. I also really miss World of Motion in Epcot, and my kids are already mourning the loss of Mickey and Minnie's houses at MK.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer100 View Post
    It's been great to see your articles back on Mouse Planet, Steve.
    Thank you. That's so nice of you to say.
    Steve

Steve- while I consider myself a traditionalist in many ways I also see the need for change. I don't have any great recollection of Horizons, but if it was still there, I do wonder how it would play in 2012. An attraction that provides a glimpse into the future, when the future is rapidly changing before our eyes, is a tough thing to keep fresh. Think about it- the hard-to-believe video phone of the Jetsons is now here via Skype and FaceTime. You can unlock doors and turn on your house lights from your smartphone wherever you are. What can an attraction like Horizons present to us that isn't already here?

Regarding Hollywood Studios- again due to technology which is available to the masses, I don't think as a society we are as impressed with the behind the scenes movie magic, as we were even 10 years ago. One can find several youtube videos or watch "How Its Made" for some insight. On the Backlot Tour, seeing the facade of the Golden Girls house is no big deal anymore.

Yet rides like Peter Pan and Small World remain popular. From my perspective, that's because you know it's a fantasy world experience. You suspend your disbelief going in. No one believes they are actually flying through London, but it's fun to imagine you are. Same holds for the thrill rides- I know I'm not really in a old haunted hotel on Tower of Terror, but for just a few minutes I can pretend I am.

Thanks as always for your great articles.

I miss too!

Thank you for such a good article (and topic) I certainly miss the original Journey into Imagination as well. I was always the highlight of my trip to Epcot! Something about it just grabbed me. I thought it amazingly fun and innovative. What is so sad in this case is that it has been replaced by such an inferior ride. Nothing like downgrading! So un-Disney like and I am such a big fan. I do miss the Adventurers club and I only went there twice. I am surprised this type of club didn't take off elsewhere, but I believe it needs Disney to keep it legit. Would love to see this brought back somewhere in Disney.

So a new recent "I miss" is the 'coming down backward' show at Spaceship Earth. Sure the graphics are cute and the technlogy they showed in many ways is here, but maybe thatis the point. Can't the imagineers dreams become reality? Seems so perfect. Plus too dark - loved the color and lights.

Missing Disney (as a whole) as I write this ...better go see Mickey soon.