Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Tim Burton's Dark Shadows trailer

Tim Burton's Dark Shadows trailer

UGH! This is awful! As a fan of the original (1966-1971) I was so looking forward to this. I could even accept this remake as a comedy BUT THIS ISN'T EVEN GOOD CAMP! I'm saving my $$$ to buy the original on DVD. Are there any DS fans who are impressed by the trailer???

2. # ADS

See now I'm just the opposite. I'm a HUGE fan of both the original and the re-boot and am soooo looking forward to this. It being Tim Burton I know what I'm getting into and LOVE the campy-ness of the trailer. Other fans I've talked to are just as excited as I am.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

Hmm...that's a good question. I got hooked on the original Dark Shadows as a child when we spent the summer with my aunt, who was a fan. When we got home, we weren't allowed to watch because my stepfather said a co-worker's wife was driven insane by the show. (He really said that.) So, good kids that we were, we watched it with one kid posted by the window in case Dad got home before it was over. I still remember being incredibly frightened at a scene where pirates rose from their graves, and didn't even realize how campy the show was until I watched it again in re-runs in the 80s. I've started watching again on Netflix.

That said...I'm not sure what to think of the Burton version. As much as I love Depp, I kept thinking his Barnabas seems like a spoof combining Jack Sparrow and Michael Jackson. I wasn't left thinking, "I can't wait!" However, I thought a Brady Bunch movie was the stupidest idea I'd ever heard, and I thought the film ended up being really funny. I was initially creeped out when I saw trailers for "Nightmare Before Christmas" and "Corpse Bride," but came to love both films. Since it's Tim Burton, I have great hope that it will work. We'll see it in the theater.

To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

I guess I thought the reboot was gonna take the story seriously. The trailer reminded me of that George Hamilton film, Love At First Bite. As of now, I'm kinda disappointed, but I'd like to read reviews of the film by fans of the series.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    I guess I thought the reboot was gonna take the story seriously. The trailer reminded me of that George Hamilton film, Love At First Bite. As of now, I'm kinda disappointed, but I'd like to read reviews of the film by fans of the series.
    Actually, I loved "Love at First Bite". Nobody says you have have to take a movie seriously, only for what it is. That being said, May 11, I'm already standing in line for Tim Burton's Dark Shadows. This one is right up my alley. I didn't see the link for the trailer. Here it is....enjoy

http://youtu.be/wpWvkFlyl4M
    Writing about all things Disney, a couple of paragraphs at a time.

http://disneylandtraveler.blogspot.com/

105000 page views and counting

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

kewl trailer... its camp-tastic.

Eek! I agree with you ck!!

I am also a fan of the original show and I also had to sneak watching it, when my mother was taking a nap or was otherwise engaged, since we weren't "allowed" to watch it! When I got older, I talked my mom into letting me watch it, she watched too and even bought the record album of music from the series that included "Quentin's Theme" (my favorite of course!).

My crush was on Quentin Collins, played by David Selby! Looking at a recent photo of him, I still think he's a really good looking guy, just a whole lot older!! But then, so am I!

I was anxious to see the new DS trailer, since I thought they were going to do a good job on the movie, but I was totally appalled by what I saw!! I do like a good, silly comedy, like Love at First Bite, Airplane, etc., but I was not at all prepared to see the thing they're calling "Dark Shadows"!!

It looks like a really bad, Grade "B" movie, instead of what I expected! The only way I can imagine going to see it would be to totally divorce myself of the original series I enjoyed so much (I was very happy when Sci-Fi or whoever ran all of the original episodes several years ago, so I could get caught up on what happened!) and look at this thing as something totally different, but it just happens to have some of the same character names!

Karen W2

This trailer really seems to have the DS fans divided into two camps. Those that love it and can hardly wait and those that despise it. I'm in the first one. Talking with all my friends that are also huge DS fans, we are all looking forward to it. We are also all huge Tim Burton and Johnny Depp fans as well so that may affect our outlook on this. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

Had to go look up a pic of David Selby as I was also Team Quentin. lol He still looks good. You can still see Quentin in his face.

Due to all this talk about Dark Shadows I wound up spending the morning looking at Jonathan Frid's and David Selby's websites. Fascinating look into the show from their perspective. David Selby has a new book out about his time on DS ( My Shadowed Past) and it comes personally autographed. I'm not into autographs, but there have been a few that I've collected and always wanted one from him. (So it took me 40 years lol) So, guess I'm off to order it!

I have never seen the original show (because I wasn't born yet ) But I wasn't really sure what to make of the trailer.

I LOVE Johnny Depp, and will see just about anything he is in, and I feel the same about Tim Burton,

BUT...

I watched the trailer thinking, "I just don't know about this..."
    I might RedBox it.

I think that the trailer is Freakin' Awesome!!!!! Count me in the pro camp! And I do mean "camp".

Dark Shadows started when I was in high school and my friends and I would run home after school to watch it. Helps that I lived right across the street. Years later when they started showing it on SoapNet I tried to watch it. BIG mistake!! One of my most cherished childhood memories was reduced to smoldering rubble. What a stinker!! BUT, I do remember how it made me feel back then and I can't wait to see this new version. Tim Burton does most everything right (except for Willy Wonka, but can overlook 1 mistake) and am betting this one will be great. It may have limited appeal though, attracting only 60 year old women.

My sister, who is a middle aged, very professional woman, is anxiously awaiting it also. Because of me watching Dark Shadows when she was a toddler she has a deep love and devotion for all things vampire. I scarred her for life, it seems. She still calls him "Barbanus" Collins. LOL!!!!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Saw the trailer yesterday because they showed it before "The Hunger Games". I really liked the trailer, and I'll be interested in seeing the film. I never watched the original version, but I did watch the re-boot that came out in the late 80s/early 90s, I think, and I enjoyed that. The cast in this film looks really good, and I'm excited to see Michelle Pfeiffer again - haven't seen her in anything in ages.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

My friends and I would rush home from junior high/middle school to catch the next episode of DS. I "was" looking forward to the movie until I saw the trailer. Not what I expected (or want) at all! The original storyline was a great romance. I can't imagine how they will treat that in the movie--if at all. Having said all that I will see it--but won't be standing in line the first day/weekend/week/month to do so.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Until I saw the trailer before Hunger Games, I had never heard of DS. I thought the trailer was hilarious and I can't wait to see it

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    My friends and I would rush home from junior high/middle school to catch the next episode of DS. I "was" looking forward to the movie until I saw the trailer. Not what I expected (or want) at all! The original storyline was a great romance. I can't imagine how they will treat that in the movie--if at all. Having said all that I will see it--but won't be standing in line the first day/weekend/week/month to do so.
    Ditto, plus I loved that house in DS.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

I wanted to live in Collinwood. As I got older I realized you saw (90% of the time) only the foyer, stairway and drawing room!

LOL I wanted to live in Collinwood too! Just saw on Katherine Leigh Scott's (Josette/Maggie) website a mention of the film. She said that they all knew what they were getting into and LOVE Tim Burton's version. They all approved. Goes to show that they have a sense of humor. She said, "Tim Burton made it his own and rightfully so." The casts' seal of approval is good enough for me. Counting down the days!!!

EW gave Dark Shadows a B+.