Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steve Russo - January/February 2012 - Beach Club Villas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmb910 View Post
    Steve, thank you for a great report! I had several moments of laughing out loud. Hopefully my co-workers didn't notice .

In terms of the red cards you were handed, those are Flick cards. Not sure if they are still called that, but that was their name back in 2002/2003 when they came out. They are used to measure wait times. The castmember scans it at the standby greeter position and then it gets scanned again at the entrance to the ride. This is to see if the wait time posted is accurate with the amount of time the guest is in line.

Sorry to hear about Gunnar. I look forward to your next trip report in May! I am headed there in two weeks for One More Disney Day (Leap Year), and seeing your pictures made me even more excited!

Jennifer
    Thanks, Jennifer. Yes, I'm familiar with the flick cards and what they do. My puzzlement was why I was handed one while going through the FastPass queue. FastPass wait times aren't posted anywhere so I can assume it's just for the internal information to see if the FP queue is running smoothly. That's my guess anyway.

Unfortunately, as of now, it appears we may have to postpone the May trip in favor of a third trip next January - before the APs expire. We'll see.
    Steve

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spectromen View Post
    Steve,

Sorry to hear about Gunnar. You know he was loved and gave that love back 1000%. Are there any plans for a new baby?

I don't blame you for sticking with DME. Rental car prices are excellent, but when you add in the post-9/11 fees, they end up almost twice as much. Shame.

LOL @ Manuel with his thick accent over-spieling on the DME bus. Nothing like THAT to start a relaxing vacay, eh? I do think some of those drivers could use a refresher in correct Disney etiquette. Are they Disney or Mears employees?

Funny - I'm a lifelong wearer of sweatshirts around my waist and I, too, have always thought of that as effeminate. But it never stopped me. Now that you wrote it, I'm feeling a little bit more self conscious.

I have to agree: to date, I haven't found a better creme brulee on property than Chefs de France.

Thanks for the fun report! ~Kelly
    Thanks, Kelly. Let me respond in order.

Thanks and yes, he did give that back 1000%. He really was a great dog. No plans for a new baby. Right now, I view Gunnar as our first and only - he was just too good to replace. I may change my mind in time but, right now...

I wish Manuel was the exception but I'm finding he'd more of the rule. I once had a driver that would point his fingers at the automatic gates when entering/exiting each resort. He'd make shooting sounds as the gate opened and then whisper into the mike, "Magical Express". They're Mears employees.

My comment on the sweatshirt around the waist were a little tongue-in-cheek. As far as I know, there's not a better way yet.

Mmmmmm... creme brulee.
    Steve

Wow, great report Steve! Thoroughly enjoyable and amusing, as yours usually are. (I'm also glad to notice that I'm not the only person who reads trip reports in work time whilst pretending to be working!! The only problem is that when they are like yours, you run the risk of laughing out loud and somebody noticing!)

I am convinced that one day our trips will coincide and I will be able to wave your book under your nose and ask you to sign it for me!

Dreadful news about your poor dog. It is tough, I know. We still step over cats that have not been around for just over a year now, and I have to stop myself from heading down the pet food aisle in the supermarket. Hard times.

Thank you again for taking the time to post the report, it was lovely. Here's to the next one!

Carolyn.

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
    Wow, great report Steve! Thoroughly enjoyable and amusing, as yours usually are. (I'm also glad to notice that I'm not the only person who reads trip reports in work time whilst pretending to be working!! The only problem is that when they are like yours, you run the risk of laughing out loud and somebody noticing!)

I am convinced that one day our trips will coincide and I will be able to wave your book under your nose and ask you to sign it for me!

Dreadful news about your poor dog. It is tough, I know. We still step over cats that have not been around for just over a year now, and I have to stop myself from heading down the pet food aisle in the supermarket. Hard times.

Thank you again for taking the time to post the report, it was lovely. Here's to the next one!

Carolyn.
    Thank you, Carolyn. I'd be more than happy to sign your book but you have to catch me first ;-)

Yes, every morning I step into the hallway from our bedroom expecting to step over or around Gunnar.
    Steve

Thanks again for a great trip report, Steve.

I know I expressed my condolences for the loss of Gunnar on Facebook, but let me repeat them. I know how much pets can become family members. I've had at least one Labrador in my life for the last 33 years (either my own or my parents'). We have had excellent luck with their longevity having had them survive to 13, 14, and 15. Our current Labrador, (actually my dad's, but he travels so much she is with us more than with him) Moxie just turned 12, and other than some creaky bones and a fatty tumor, she is in great health. We also have 3 (crazy) French Bulldogs who are so attached to me that I can't leave the room without all 3 at my heels! I missed them all SO MUCH on our recent WDW trip and I can't imagine life without any one of them! I'm sure there isn't another Gunnar out there, but you'll be surprised how another fur baby may work its way into your heart. You know what it's like because you have 3 kids. After the first, you don't believe it's remotely possible to love the next one as much as you do the first, but the reality is that you can, and you do. It's like that with dogs too. I had a Lab (the first dog that was just mine) before I had kids. She, Maddie, was my baby and you couldn't have convinced me that I'd ever love another dog as much as I did her. I lost her at 14, about 2 weeks after I lost my mother. It was a very rough time and we didn't get another dog for 5 years (though we had Dad's Lab part time, so we're never totally dog less. ). Then we got Stitch (our first Frenchie) and it turns out, they're like potato chips! You can't have just one. In under 15 months, we went from zero (well, half) to three!

I've been lurking here on MP for many years and have followed you TR's and look forward to each one! Keep on writing!

Stacey

just can't get enough of disney

Hi Steve:
    Let me get in line with the condolences for Gunnar. I know the feeling all too well. Two years ago we lost 2 black labs and 1 pug in the space of one year. They were all over 14 years old. My son whose 31 now grew up with the older male and took it real hard. I've had dogs ever since I can remember (I'm 72) and I just always want one around the house. I never thought my wife could love another dog like she loved the pug but we've since got another pug and she seems more attached to him then the previous pug. Like Stacey wrote you'll have space in your heart for someone else.

Brocolli rabe is an Italian green. We saute garlic in olive oil and after boiling the rabe toss in the garlic and oil. It is a little bit bitter than it's brother but very good. They put it in sausage in our area (we're the most Italian town in the US according to the last Census). It's also very good in a sandwich of roast beef with gravy and sharp provalone cheese.

I'm not through your entire report yet but yes I noticed about a year ago you could get to a park from Animal Kingdom. I think every park should offer that option.

We're going in May (15th to 18th) also. Bay Lake Towers.

Steve

First I am sorry for the loss of your dog.

I loved your trip report. You had me laughing. I really enjoyed your report as always. Thank you for writing it.

One of these days I hope to meet you and your wife.

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaandroo View Post
    Thanks again for a great trip report, Steve.

I know I expressed my condolences for the loss of Gunnar on Facebook, but let me repeat them. I know how much pets can become family members. I've had at least one Labrador in my life for the last 33 years (either my own or my parents'). We have had excellent luck with their longevity having had them survive to 13, 14, and 15. Our current Labrador, (actually my dad's, but he travels so much she is with us more than with him) Moxie just turned 12, and other than some creaky bones and a fatty tumor, she is in great health. We also have 3 (crazy) French Bulldogs who are so attached to me that I can't leave the room without all 3 at my heels! I missed them all SO MUCH on our recent WDW trip and I can't imagine life without any one of them! I'm sure there isn't another Gunnar out there, but you'll be surprised how another fur baby may work its way into your heart. You know what it's like because you have 3 kids. After the first, you don't believe it's remotely possible to love the next one as much as you do the first, but the reality is that you can, and you do. It's like that with dogs too. I had a Lab (the first dog that was just mine) before I had kids. She, Maddie, was my baby and you couldn't have convinced me that I'd ever love another dog as much as I did her. I lost her at 14, about 2 weeks after I lost my mother. It was a very rough time and we didn't get another dog for 5 years (though we had Dad's Lab part time, so we're never totally dog less. ). Then we got Stitch (our first Frenchie) and it turns out, they're like potato chips! You can't have just one. In under 15 months, we went from zero (well, half) to three!

I've been lurking here on MP for many years and have followed you TR's and look forward to each one! Keep on writing!

Stacey
    Thanks, Stacey.
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrtomasella View Post
    Hi Steve:
    Let me get in line with the condolences for Gunnar. I know the feeling all too well. Two years ago we lost 2 black labs and 1 pug in the space of one year. They were all over 14 years old. My son whose 31 now grew up with the older male and took it real hard. I've had dogs ever since I can remember (I'm 72) and I just always want one around the house. I never thought my wife could love another dog like she loved the pug but we've since got another pug and she seems more attached to him then the previous pug. Like Stacey wrote you'll have space in your heart for someone else.

Brocolli rabe is an Italian green. We saute garlic in olive oil and after boiling the rabe toss in the garlic and oil. It is a little bit bitter than it's brother but very good. They put it in sausage in our area (we're the most Italian town in the US according to the last Census). It's also very good in a sandwich of roast beef with gravy and sharp provalone cheese.

I'm not through your entire report yet but yes I noticed about a year ago you could get to a park from Animal Kingdom. I think every park should offer that option.

We're going in May (15th to 18th) also. Bay Lake Towers.
    Thanks... and thanks for the info on broccoli rabe. I'm a garlic and broccoli lover so that may be in my future.

Enjoy that Bay Lake Towers trip.
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowrosedtxn View Post
    Steve

First I am sorry for the loss of your dog.

I loved your trip report. You had me laughing. I really enjoyed your report as always. Thank you for writing it.

One of these days I hope to meet you and your wife.
    Thanks, Shelley.
    Steve

Steve, this is the first of your trip reports I've read, and it was a terrific one. It's nice to see a report written by an actual writer, filled with style and humor. It was so much more than "and then we rode this and then we rode this and then we saw a parade", etc.

Of course I join my fellow Mousepadders in offering my condolences over your great loss. Those who never have had pets don't realize how they are such an important part of the family, and their loss can be almost as great as losing a human. I agree that you shouldn't try to replace him right away. Once the pain fades you'll know when and if it's time.

Anyway, thanks for posting - very enjoyable!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Steve, this is the first of your trip reports I've read, and it was a terrific one. It's nice to see a report written by an actual writer, filled with style and humor. It was so much more than "and then we rode this and then we rode this and then we saw a parade", etc.

Of course I join my fellow Mousepadders in offering my condolences over your great loss. Those who never have had pets don't realize how they are such an important part of the family, and their loss can be almost as great as losing a human. I agree that you shouldn't try to replace him right away. Once the pain fades you'll know when and if it's time.

Anyway, thanks for posting - very enjoyable!
    Thanks for those very kind words, Dan.
    Steve

Steve,

I'm in the process of reading your report and wanted to address a couple of thoughts that I had in the process.

First and foremost, I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of Gunnar. I'm sure he'll always have a very special place in your hearts and I hope that time will help to ease the ache of missing him on a daily basis.

Secondly, and this probably makes me a bad person, I had to laugh at the thought of the folks in the room next to you tossing their children against the adjoining wall. I too have had the pleasure of rooming next to families who I can only assume are, in reality, the Flying Wallendas secretly honing their craft in the privacy of their hotel room.

Finally, I had to MARRY Larry Wilmot to become privy to his proprietary Fast Pass knowledge so it would seem that there are no lengths I wouldn't go to for the inside track on extra Fast Passes. I have to say that Disney has done a remarkably good job at closing the vast majority of Fast Pass scams. In fact, there's pretty much only one left. I could tell you what it is but then, as is expected, I'd have to kill you. And we don't want that.

Back to the trip report!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RWilmot View Post
    Steve,

I'm in the process of reading your report and wanted to address a couple of thoughts that I had in the process.

First and foremost, I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of Gunnar. I'm sure he'll always have a very special place in your hearts and I hope that time will help to ease the ache of missing him on a daily basis.

Secondly, and this probably makes me a bad person, I had to laugh at the thought of the folks in the room next to you tossing their children against the adjoining wall. I too have had the pleasure of rooming next to families who I can only assume are, in reality, the Flying Wallendas secretly honing their craft in the privacy of their hotel room.

Finally, I had to MARRY Larry Wilmot to become privy to his proprietary Fast Pass knowledge so it would seem that there are no lengths I wouldn't go to for the inside track on extra Fast Passes. I have to say that Disney has done a remarkably good job at closing the vast majority of Fast Pass scams. In fact, there's pretty much only one left. I could tell you what it is but then, as is expected, I'd have to kill you. And we don't want that.

Back to the trip report!
    Well, Robin... for unlimited FastPasses, I might have married him. ;-)
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by srusso100 View Post
    :-)

Steve, you mentioned early in the article about an attempt to get additional fast passes and I, too had attempted to figure it out. What worked for me was using a credit card which then spit out the much desired fast pass for Thunder Mountain Railroad. I only did this once and not again for 2 reasons. One was my guilt feeling and the second was that my credit card would disappear into the machine and then I would have to lie about how it got there in the first place! I am a huge Disney Fan and have visited WDW many times with several visits to California and one to Paris. In fact I just returned home yesterday from WDW and after my 12 hr. work day am sitting here and so enjoying your report. I love your humor and stlye of writing. So sorry about your dear dog. Well let me return to your story as I stopped to reply and am now eager to read so much more- what a treat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vjseiber View Post
    Steve, you mentioned early in the article about an attempt to get additional fast passes and I, too had attempted to figure it out. What worked for me was using a credit card which then spit out the much desired fast pass for Thunder Mountain Railroad. I only did this once and not again for 2 reasons. One was my guilt feeling and the second was that my credit card would disappear into the machine and then I would have to lie about how it got there in the first place! I am a huge Disney Fan and have visited WDW many times with several visits to California and one to Paris. In fact I just returned home yesterday from WDW and after my 12 hr. work day am sitting here and so enjoying your report. I love your humor and stlye of writing. So sorry about your dear dog. Well let me return to your story as I stopped to reply and am now eager to read so much more- what a treat.
    First... thanks for those kind words.

Regarding the FastPass - was your experience with the credit card recent? I know that shortly after FastPass debuted, you could pretty much use anything with a mag stripe. That particular hole in the system was corrected long ago.

Let me state here that I have no real desire to scam or beat the FastPass system and I don't encourage anyone else doing it either. What I have is an insatiable curiosity to figure out Larry's secret ;-)
    Steve

First... thanks for those kind words.

Regarding the FastPass - was your experience with the credit card recent? I know that shortly after FastPass debuted, you could pretty much use anything with a mag stripe. That particular hole in the system was corrected long ago.

Let me state here that I have no real desire to scam or beat the FastPass system and I don't encourage anyone else doing it either. What I have is an insatiable curiosity to figure out Larry's secret ;-)
    me to !! i tried one time to convince him i was maxwell smart agent 86 & my wife was 99 but he did not fall for my fiendish ploy.

Hi Steve,

Sent you a Private Message.

Cheers the Evil Genious. (LOL. - I'm a wimp really.)

OH and by the way. I've started to feel really bad about taking FP's, and I've rather given up. Robin and I are hoping to Go to WDW in August, We both have second jobs, to raise some funds for a vist there, and I'm going to try not to take any extra FP's. But if you see an Englishman Twitching as he walks past a FP machine, with sweat on his brow, it's probably me.

Cheers Larry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryfmScotland View Post
    OH and by the way. I've started to feel really bad about taking FP's, and I've rather given up. Robin and I are hoping to Go to WDW in August, We both have second jobs, to raise some funds for a vist there, and I'm going to try not to take any extra FP's. But if you see an Englishman Twitching as he walks past a FP machine, with sweat on his brow, it's probably me.

Cheers Larry.
    Gee, Larry. I feel guilty "calling you out". It was all in fun and I just wanted to experiment with some theories to see if I could stumble on your system. Please don't quit on my account. You give the rest of us "villains" something to aspire to.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by larryfmscotland View Post
    oh and by the way. I've started to feel really bad about taking fp's, and i've rather given up. Robin and i are hoping to go to wdw in august, we both have second jobs, to raise some funds for a vist there, and i'm going to try not to take any extra fp's. But if you see an englishman twitching as he walks past a fp machine, with sweat on his brow, it's probably me.

Cheers larry.
    lol!!

Back of the queue, Russo.

Larry - FOR WALT'S SAKE TELL ME! Again, like Steve, I don't want to use the darned thing but it's the not knowing that is killing me!! I have wasted HOURS of my life trying to figure this out, but like not knowing how David Copperfield can make a Boing 747 disappear it is DRIVING ME CRACKERS!!

Ahem.

Sorry about that, small loss of self-control there.
    Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

All I can say is: HAHAHAHAHAH you all crack me up!

I wonder if the "system" that Larry has in place will work after the March 7 deadline? I mean, it won't really matter if you have a lot of them, unless you use them between the designated time.

I loved to collect the fast passes so that I could do things during the certain parts of the day, like watch a show or if I am on one side of the park, I could make my way back to the other side of the park in a leisurely pace because I am a fast-paced walker, but my dad (who is in his 60's) is no longer able to walk that fast. So I would run to get the passes, but it would take us longer to get back to where I got the fast passes. (Mostly this was done at Disneyland though.) I am sad to see them enforcing this rule, but I do understand it.

Thanks for the laughs you guys!!!

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

Enjoyed your TR!

Steve,

So sorry about Gunnar. I know many of us share your pain with the loss of a beloved family member/pet.

I really enjoyed your trip report. I always look forward to them and this one did not disappoint. My husband eventually had to aske about my giggling and I was compelled to share some of my favorite parts. I totally "get" your sense of humor and even share some of your Park Peeves.

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, insight and humor. The photos were just the icing on the cake!
    Michelle
    CBR -1992, WL-1999, POR-'03, POR-'05, POFQ-'07, POFQ-'08, WL-'2010 , POFQ-2012