Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Avengers Themed Monorail coming to WDW!

Plus I really wonder what they're going to do after the release date - take the date off, or leave it there and make the monorail look like old news.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Plus I really wonder what they're going to do after the release date - take the date off, or leave it there and make the monorail look like old news.
    I hope they take the release date off.
    Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

It is blatant promotion even without a release date but the artwork is cool.

Here in Denver, we have the light rail and even the light rail now has one that advertises different things. It is a wrap like the monorail. I despise it. Who wants to be advertised to all the time?? Not me.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

I think the word blatant is the key here. For me the monorail wrap didn't fall into the blatant promotion category until I saw the debut dates. That made the difference for me.

- James Taylor

I think the word blatant is the key here. For me the monorail wrap didn't fall into the blatant promotion category until I saw the debut dates. That made the difference for me.
    To me, it's blatant advertisement since it's not the monorail's normal covering, especially since it's only one of the monorails (though I in no way condone covering the entire fleet).

But I definitely agree that the release date makes it even worse. And I doubt they'll be able to take the release date off after the movie comes out. I'm sure it's part of the actual wrap itself and not a separate part. However, that's not to say they won't take the wrap off shortly. Just because the Tron wrap was around for so long doesn't mean this one will be around as long Especially since they can only run it on the two MK beams AND it's not something Disney is doing (or even able to do) any in-park promotions with.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman559 View Post
    However, that's not to say they won't take the wrap off shortly. Just because the Tron wrap was around for so long doesn't mean this one will be around as long
    As long as it is still on when we are there in July and we get to see it and ride it. I will have a very disappointed Monorail and Avengers fan (DS who is 7) who thinks it's the coolest thing he has ever seen and very excited. My guess is that they will run it through at least end of December to help promote the Blu Ray release.
    Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CBFETT View Post
    As long as it is still on when we are there in July and we get to see it and ride it. I will have a very disappointed Monorail and Avengers fan (DS who is 7) who thinks it's the coolest thing he has ever seen and very excited. My guess is that they will run it through at least end of December to help promote the Blu Ray release.
    It's possible, but if so, I certainly hope that the release date can be removed. Starting May 5, having the May 4 release date on there will make it even worse.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Found it on Youtube and I thought it looked seriously cool. As far as blatant advertising yes it is. But what happens if people think its so cool that Disney looks to work in an Avengers ride? I think that could be pretty neat also.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Just because the Tron wrap was around for so long doesn't mean this one will be around as long Especially since they can only run it on the two MK beams AND it's not something Disney is doing (or even able to do) any in-park promotions with.
    Didn't the Tronorail only run on the Epcot line? And I don't think there were any in-park promotions for Tron, either.

As far as blatant advertising yes it is. But what happens if people think its so cool that Disney looks to work in an Avengers ride? I think that could be pretty neat also.
    A valid point. I think it's entirely possible to think that it's over the top advertising and still like the way the thing looks. I'm really anxious to see what my own reaction will be in just under 3 weeks.
    - James Taylor

I certainly hope that the release date can be removed. Starting May 5, having the May 4 release date on there will make it even worse.
    I can agree with it. But something I read said it would be running all summer.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    Found it on Youtube and I thought it looked seriously cool. As far as blatant advertising yes it is. But what happens if people think its so cool that Disney looks to work in an Avengers ride? I think that could be pretty neat also.
    Isn't going to happen. Disney doesn't have the rights to put Marvel characters in the park, and it's unlikely they'd be willing to purchase the rights back from Universal. I highly doubt Universal would settle for anything that doesn't cover the cost of completely retheming ALL Marvel-related items in their parks, including Marvel Super Hero Island at Islands of Adventure. That'd be a gigantic cost to Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Didn't the Tronorail only run on the Epcot line? And I don't think there were any in-park promotions for Tron, either.
    I'm not too sure about the Epcot line. It's possible. But also, that would very likely be by choice and not by necessity. In this case, they would be breaching licensing agreements that Marvel has with Universal if they put it on the Epcot beam.

And I have no idea about WDW's promotions. I'd be surprised if they didn't have ANYTHING, though. Especially in Epcot. In this case, it would again breach the licensing agreements, so they couldn't even if they wanted to.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it was one of the monorails between Magic Kingdom and Epcot. We have some great pictures of the TRON wrapped monorail entering Epcot and with the Spaceship Earth globe.

I'm not too sure about the Epcot line. It's possible. But also, that would very likely be by choice and not by necessity. In this case, they would be breaching licensing agreements that Marvel has with Universal if they put it on the Epcot beam.
    Not sure that's true. I thought it was just the characters that were exclusive to Universal, so they couldn't have walkarounds inside Epcot but artwork that pertains specifically to a film wouldn't be the same, I wouldn't think. Depends on how the language specifically reads in the agreement between Marvel and Universal because they would have also had to take into account that other Marvel properties were based at other studios, who would need the right to advertise those properties in movies without breaching the Universal agreement.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

I've read several different sources talking about how the Avengerail is on the MK line so that it won't go into Epcot. But I'm pretty sure that's all been conjecture. I don't know if anyone has said definitively that the Avengerail CAN'T be seen inside Epcot. I think it's more that the Tronorail was on the Epcot line, so the Avengerail is on the MK line to be different. Don't know - just guessing.

- James Taylor

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Avengerail
    This makes me cringe incredibly much. I might develop hives too.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Not sure that's true. I thought it was just the characters that were exclusive to Universal, so they couldn't have walkarounds inside Epcot but artwork that pertains specifically to a film wouldn't be the same, I wouldn't think. Depends on how the language specifically reads in the agreement between Marvel and Universal because they would have also had to take into account that other Marvel properties were based at other studios, who would need the right to advertise those properties in movies without breaching the Universal agreement.
    I found an article here that quotes Iger as basically admitting they can't bring certain characters into the parks, that Universal holds the rights to two specific characters east of the Mississippi in perpetuity (as long as they continue to use them), as well as that Universal holds licenses for everything from merchandise sales to theming, though it doesn't specifically say that these are exclusive rights.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lots of good activity on this thread.

After reading more, I have to agree some a tie-in may be just one of those things that happen. Part of advertising, part for "brand marketing."

But if they make the wraps in a way where it is more of a billboard, ie: covering multiple monorails with different advertising messages, etc, then I think you loose the classic look and feel that is the WDW Monorail System. Thats distracting and it takes away from the on-stage presence.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

My son will love it..if its therein Dec

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay