Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Going to the World in September, some questions about the new system

Going to the World in September, some questions about the new system

Hi all,

Going back to Disney World for the first time since 2009. I know they have a whole new system since the last time I went and was wondering if anyone had some good resources to read up on about the new Fastpass+ and My Magic bands? I don't know if it complicates the matter, but I will be going with family and staying at Shades of Green, and we are going to be using the military discounts for the park hopper passes; do they use the new system too? Or is everything kind of integrated?

Also if anyone happens to know what might be closing down for refurbishment around that time, that would be helpful also. Thanks!

2. # ADS

The best review of FPP and magic bands I have read is on the Touring Plans website but not sure if it's only on the subscription pages without checking. I imagine allears.net will have guidance as well? Resort and park refurbishment schedules are posted on this site. Go to the WDW weekly update in the columns general forum (I think)!

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Quote Originally Posted by xezat View Post
    Hi all,

Going back to Disney World for the first time since 2009. I know they have a whole new system since the last time I went and was wondering if anyone had some good resources to read up on about the new Fastpass+ and My Magic bands? I don't know if it complicates the matter, but I will be going with family and staying at Shades of Green, and we are going to be using the military discounts for the park hopper passes; do they use the new system too? Or is everything kind of integrated?

Also if anyone happens to know what might be closing down for refurbishment around that time, that would be helpful also. Thanks!
    I'm heading to WDW in a few days and are using the Military 4day Parkhopper passes. Our passes are different this time. You are given what they call an exchange ticket and need to go to Guest Services in order to exchange your ticket for the "real" ticket. The good thing is, you can link your exchange ticket to your magicbands and still make FP+ selections ahead of time. Not quite sure how the whole "exchange" process works but will let you know once we get there.
    Danie

Quote Originally Posted by gdanie View Post
    I'm heading to WDW in a few days and are using the Military 4day Parkhopper passes. Our passes are different this time. You are given what they call an exchange ticket and need to go to Guest Services in order to exchange your ticket for the "real" ticket. The good thing is, you can link your exchange ticket to your magicbands and still make FP+ selections ahead of time. Not quite sure how the whole "exchange" process works but will let you know once we get there.
    Couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

Where did you purchase the tickets at? I'm not actually doing the buying, pops is as he's the military guy (I'm just a brat), but he was telling me he could only get the ticket at Shades of Green once we got there, which didn't sound completely right to me.

Also you are able to get the magic bands in advance? Where exactly do you get those from if you're not staying "on site" even though Shades of Green is technically on site (just not a Disney owned hotel)?

Thanks again!

Hi all,

Refurbishments are updated each week for the WDW Resort Update.

Here's a blog that provides guidance on Fastpass+ specifically for people visiting on military discount.

Couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

Where did you purchase the tickets at? I'm not actually doing the buying, pops is as he's the military guy (I'm just a brat), but he was telling me he could only get the ticket at Shades of Green once we got there, which didn't sound completely right to me.

Also you are able to get the magic bands in advance? Where exactly do you get those from if you're not staying "on site" even though Shades of Green is technically on site (just not a Disney owned hotel)?

Thanks again!
    You can buy the tix at any military installation. You need the military members' ID card to purchase though.

I'm not sure about magic bands in advance if staying at Shades of Green, but you should still be able to link the tix to your MyDisneyExperience account on the app.
    Danie

I have no comment on the military tickets, but agree that the Touring Plans website offered the best FastPass+ guidance I found. I used their information constantly during the trip, and found the subscription to be worth it. I'm not sure if you have to be paid to use their blog, but it is a great source of up-to-date info on WDW. They also reply a lot with their twitter account, which can be useful!

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"