Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: That's My Opinion: The Best of Walt Disney World - Disney's Hollywood Studios

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

That's My Opinion: The Best of Walt Disney World - Disney's Hollywood Studios

The Best of Walt Disney World - Disney's Hollywood Studios by Steve Russo

The best-of series continues with a look at the top attractions, shows and restaurants of Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

No mention of the shows and entertainment. I went in May this year. Unfortunately the rain kept me from staying longer than a few hours. Nonetheless, I was impressed by how alive the park felt from the street entertainment especially the morning mini-parade with star impersonators and the announcers. The park needs more family attractions since we could not visit your top two plus Rock n Roller Coaster. The Little Mermaid should be in your honorable mentions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo996 View Post
    No mention of the shows and entertainment. I went in May this year. Unfortunately the rain kept me from staying longer than a few hours. Nonetheless, I was impressed by how alive the park felt from the street entertainment especially the morning mini-parade with star impersonators and the announcers. The park needs more family attractions since we could not visit your top two plus Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. The Little Mermaid should be in your honorable mentions.
    I did mention the Beauty and the Beast stage show. Regarding the live entertainment... I truly enjoy the Streetmosphere at DHS but it seems it's become hit or miss. It used to be everywhere but now seems hard to find. I can remember stumbling into a cast member doing magic tricks by Two Guys Moichendise. We were his only audience and spent 15-20 minutes there. I almost never see that type of entertainment any longer.

I would agree with you on the Voyage of the Little Mermaid - I always enjoy that show.
    Steve

The HBD Lounge is a great addition! In fact we enjoyed it so much we went twice that week! Great place to people watch and the tapas and adult beverages are fantastic. We felt like stars!

My top 3 DHS attractions:
    1. Toy Story Mania
    2. Tower of Terror
    3. Great Movie Ride

We really only eat at the Hollywood Brown Derby for TS. But for CS we like the Studio Catering Co.

John

A few quick service thoughts:

I'd add Min and Bill's, I like the Sausage and Peppers or Hot dogs in a Pretzel roll there.

Backlot Express is decent for traditional Burgers and has a decent amount of seating.

Fiarfax Fare pleasantly surprised me for quick serve breakfast the one morning I was there early. The sausage and egg sandwich was bigger than that you would get on the outside from the national fast food chains (had a double sausage patty - actually a decent deal).

As to attractions not yet mentioned, I like the Lights Motors Action Stunt show, but realize it's old hat for veterans.

-Dave

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Our 3 favorites
    Tower of Terror
    Rock n Roller Coaster
    Stunt Spectacular

Great Movie ride is one of our least favorite rides. Our problem with it is it seems they didn't put as much effort in the animatronics as they had other attractions. Star Tours got old, even with the new update the only reason you go is to see if you get a different combo not so much the ride. I agree Toy Story is just a video game and for some of us those screens can give you motion sickness.

We really enjoyed Sci-Fi Dine in. While you reported negative reviews for it, thats the same reason we have not tried the 50's prime time due to some of the negative reviews of the CM's took to being to bossy over the top to let the guest enjoy his meal.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Trying to figure out how RnRC didn't make the Top 3. After my first visit, it was the ONE attraction that me and my wife constantly talked about. It made us go to MGM the first day on our next trip. We had to get back onto that ride.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    Trying to figure out how RnRC didn't make the Top 3. After my first visit, it was the ONE attraction that me and my wife constantly talked about. It made us go to MGM the first day on our next trip. We had to get back onto that ride.
    I thought I explained it quite well... something to do with inversions ;-)
    Steve

I'm sure most people will disagree with me, but I really don't care for the Osborne Lights. I do agree that everyone should see it once, just to marvel at the spectacular gaudiness of it all. For me, it's just too much; too many lights too close together and too many people. It looks like a million elves blew up.

I have to admit DHS has never been my favorite of the theme parks. It seems unfocused and desperately in need of updating. I think that the Orlando bosses really need to do work on it- Muppetvision and The Great Movie Ride being the most obvious in need of updating since they are essentially unchanged over the last two decades. In some ways (way too many for a simple article response) DHS has been the forgotten step-child of Disney World.

That being said, I want to throw something in there for consideration- the Voyage of the Little Mermaid is a really good stage show. I really appreciate the puppeteering and effects that go into that show every time I see it.

Toy story just gets my juices going . Sci fi used to be a must . But then they changed french fries brand bacon cheese burger ruined . Really at the end of the day cant beat 50s prime time cafe .

Another great article Steve. You are definitely the only writer that I always read. Love the list ( but I would have to add R&RC). Every time we go to the studios I plan around the Mulch Sweat and Shears shows, they are great but don't seem to get a lot of attention. With all of the interactions with the guests they create countless memories!

If you choose not to decide..you still have made a choice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by m1ckeymouse View Post
    Another great article Steve. You are definitely the only writer that I always read.
    Awww, thanks. That's very nice of you.
    Steve