Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wheelchair rental in Anaheim?

Thanks for clearing that up. That makes renting from an outside company look better.

We will be renting 2 ECV's. One for myself and one for my MIL, can 2 ECV's rented from Deckerts or Orange County Medical fit in the back of a minivan? or should I get one off site and rent the other from Disney?

If I rent one from Disney, the rental place is in the promenade, correct? and does it open before the gates?

I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WITron View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up. That makes renting from an outside company look better.

We will be renting 2 ECV's. One for myself and one for my MIL, can 2 ECV's rented from Deckerts or Orange County Medical fit in the back of a minivan? or should I get one off site and rent the other from Disney?

If I rent one from Disney, the rental place is in the promenade, correct? and does it open before the gates?
    I don't know if you can fit 2 in the back of a mini van. How many people will be in the van? How far away are you staying?
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I don't know if you can fit 2 in the back of a mini van. How many people will be in the van? How far away are you staying?
    We will have 3 adults and 2 children and we are staying at the Dolphin Cove resort.
    I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WITron View Post
    We will have 3 adults and 2 children and we are staying at the Dolphin Cove resort.
    I assume you are driving to the park everyday? I looked up the resort, it looks like it might be a tad far to burn the battery on your ECV, maybe about a mile to the front gate.

You might have to trade off. Drive one person / ECV to 15 minute zone (on harbor just east of the promenande), drop them off, then return to the hotel and pick up the other person / ECV / everyone else, not sure if two ECV's would fit.

At the end of the night, if the batteries are still good, the ECV's could scoot back and everyone else drive.

Just a thought....

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."

wheelchair rentals

Has anyone had rented a wheelchair from a medical supply company called Shamrock? I couldn't remember the company that was recommended on the boards so I Googled and Shamrock came up. Thanks!

Blog Entries

I've merged your thread with another on the same topic.

The most frequently used companies by people here are Deckert's Surgical and OC Medical Supply. I haven't heard of Shamrock. If you use them, please let us know how it goes.

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

This probably won't get the exposure it should but I have to go Off huge on the awesome customer service Deckerts offers their customers. I got into town and realized that part of my daughters wheelchair didn't make it down with us and her comfort is important to me so I called Deckerts at 8:30 am and explained our situation and that we couldn't go to the park without a chair....I had a chair in an hour, her size, high quality and only $35.00 for 4 days! I can't recommend this company high enough.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    I had a chair in an hour, her size, high quality and only $35.00 for 4 days! I can't recommend this company high enough.
    Oh yeah. Our last trip (last weekend) I forgot to call for a scooter. I called Thursday night, after they closed, left a message, and they called me back at 8am and had a scooter to the hotel before 9am.

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah. Our last trip (last weekend) I forgot to call for a scooter. I called Thursday night, after they closed, left a message, and they called me back at 8am and had a scooter to the hotel before 9am.
    Wow, that is soooo awesome!! Tell them they need a website next time you talk to them....

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."

I just called and reserved an ECV from Deckert for $40 a day for our trip at the end of October.

My dad turns 80 next June and August is my parents 50th wedding anniversary. We want to take them to DLR to celebrate and are considering renting the ECV. Some questions:

How easy are they to use? It would be the first use for both parents. Seems to me like DL would be a challenging place to learn to drive it?

We may stay at HoJos. The rental places will deliver to your hotel?

Someone mentioned a battery - how long do the batteries last? Do the rental places give you something with which to recharge the chairs?

My mom was concerned about someone "stealing" the chair while she was on a ride. Is this even an issue?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for your help!!!

Ok so first of all, I highly recommend that you take your parents to someplace like WalMart and let them 'practice' driving a scooter there. Those scooters have baskets on the front and are restricted speed wise but it will get the process started.

As for renting them, I have had amazing service from Deckarts Medical - 714-542-5607 - they will delived the scooters to the hojo for you. The scooters are electric and come with a charger, some are 'on board' meaning you just take the cord and plug it in, some have chargers you have to plug into the scooter and the wall. Either one of the types are extremely user friendly. The rentals have a speed control to help control the driver from accidentally going faster then the group is walking. I would say keeping them on a lower speed setting and just taking a bit of time before you get into the park (like in the entrance over in the tram area but over to the side where there aren't many people to get the feel for the scooter turning and stopping would be well worth the time.

As for stealing the scooter, take the key out whenever you go on a ride, I have never worried about my personal scooter being stolen but I don't leave the key in it, I don't leave any valuables in the basket.

Have a great trip.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries

I second everything MS says.

The charges last a long day (I've even done 2 days, but wouldn't risk it.) Keep the cord with you (they usually have a pouch on the back) and there are various places in DIsneyland you can recharge if needed. My biggest "charge issue" is usually the first day, as I don't think they charge them when they pick them up from the previous person. So, just watch the charge, then make sure you charge them overnight.

Now, you might not have space to put both scooters in the room at Hojos. But if you go to the front desk, Hojos will usually allow them to be parked in the baggage storage area and will charge them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by DebT View Post
    My dad turns 80 next June and August is my parents 50th wedding anniversary. We want to take them to DLR to celebrate and are considering renting the ECV. Some questions:

How easy are they to use? It would be the first use for both parents. Seems to me like DL would be a challenging place to learn to drive it?

We may stay at HoJos. The rental places will deliver to your hotel?

Someone mentioned a battery - how long do the batteries last? Do the rental places give you something with which to recharge the chairs?

My mom was concerned about someone "stealing" the chair while she was on a ride. Is this even an issue?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks for your help!!!
    I am sure you will get other responses. I rented from Deckerts in May, and they are waiting for you when you arrive at the hotel and pick it up when you leave. We spent the first 2 nights at the Courtyard and the 3rd night at Hojo's. That was not a prob. The scooters are battery charged and arrive charged. When you get back to the room at night you just plug it in to the outlet and it will charge overnight and be fully charged in the morning. (it takes 6 hours I believe). It did not take me long to figure out how to drive them. There are different speed settings and I would advise setting it to Turtle (slower settings). The one thing I found at the parks, is people do not watch out or see you and may walk in front of your folks. Might be a little frightening for them. I am sure others with much more experience will chime in. Hope they enjoy the parks!

Also-you take your key with you if you get out of the scooter to go on the rides, so nobody can take it.
    Siggy aka Jill

Thanks to all three of you for your replies.

I appreciate the idea about having them practice at Wal Mart. My concern is mom will be pretty nervous and dad try to run over people (he is an motorcycle rider and truck driver

Glad to know there is a key. That will make mom feel better.

Yesterday, I ran the plan past my mom and she LOVED the idea of going. Tonight will work on my dad. I know his biggest concern will be mobility. Having all this information on hand will be helpful in addressing his concerns.

DebT ....if dad starts getting 'frisky' with his scooter just reach over and turn his dial to turtle...it'll slow him down for a moment. In fact you don't even have to tell him he has 'control' of how fast he goes if he's never rented one, you can just turn the dial down when you pick them up at the office!

Another wonderful thing about them having the scooters, you can put a backpack over the seat back to carry all those extras like waters and sweatshirts and other necessary but pain in the trip items that by mid afternoon you are tired of lugging around. Saves the cost of a locker!

Scooter Rental near Disneyland

Looking for a great "scooter rental company" near Disneyland. If my family decide to stay at the Tropicana Inn and Suites we may rent a scooter for my dad. I know that Disneyland has the stroller rental for the park only. However, we will be there for a week so I'm just looking for a scooter that my dad could use all over to the parks and back. Any suggestions on a great rental company that will deliver/pick up to Tropicana Inn and Suites.

Kauai to Anaheim-"Summer 2013"

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I've merged your post with an active thread on this very topic.

Adrienne

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries

Deckert is the scooter rental place of choice on here. OC Medical is the second choice.

ECV rental from Deckart's - refund question

Hi Everyone,

Am considering renting an ECV from Deckart's for a family member for June DL. Just called them & was quoted $40 per day ($120 total for our 3 day trip).

The employee I spoke with said that they will charge my credit card the full $120 about 2 weeks *prior* to our trip, which I thought was odd but I've never rented an ECV before, so wasn't sure if this is standard practice or not. So then I asked about their cancellation policy and was told that as long as I contact them the day before the delivery date, they will give me a full refund.

It seems like lots of people on this board love Deckart's and have experienced great customer service from them, but I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems getting a refund from them due to a cancelled trip?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lehua View Post
    It seems like lots of people on this board love Deckart's and have experienced great customer service from them, but I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems getting a refund from them due to a cancelled trip?

Thanks
    No, I've only had one refund, but it wasn't an issue. I usually call a couple days prior to my trip so I don't have to deal with that though. I have even called as I was driving down before (I had forgotten!)

No, I've only had one refund, but it wasn't an issue.
    Thanks, we'll go ahead and give them a try.