Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DCA Food and Wine 2017 - Info, impressions, and food reviews

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    The ones I had gone to in years past was in the (I think it's called) Sonoma Terrace--the area to the left of Wine Country Trattoria. this one was in the Millionaire's building. There was more room, but (and it might have been the issue with our particular chef) I felt that there was not good coordination between the chef and the cameraman. He was always a beat or two behind, and I didn't feel like we were really seeing her "cook"--she spent most of the 90 minutes out in the audience. A different chef--who is more camera savvy--might have been better.
    Hmmm, that's an awful long time for a chef to be just wandering out in the audience instead of cooking. Last year was the first year I'd done any of the bigger events, and both Robert Irvine and Guy Fieri made a full meal - starter, entree and dessert, so they spent a lot of time cooking and giving cooking tips.

I remember doing a Sweet Sunday a few years ago, and it was where you said, to the left of Wine Country Trattoria. I remember liking it. I don't remember if the chef prepared one thing or two things, but I do remember being able to get a good sense of what he was doing from the demo. It does feel like the chef whose event you went to wasn't particularly good at the live demo thing. Maybe a newbie at it.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2. # ADS

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Maybe a newbie at it.
    I think that might have been the issue. The other Sweet Sundays I went to there were either two or three desserts that they made (and unlimited Magicale and Fairy Tale--sigh). Here she made one dessert only--and while it did have different components it certainly didn't take up a lot of the time. It was also the first presentation of the day so it kinda felt like they were working out the kinks a bit--for example when she went to cream the butter and sugar the paddle she had for the mixer wouldn't fit in the bowl--so the "MC" had to run in the back to find something that would fit.
    "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

My DH and I went today. We purchased one Sip and Savor pass at the AP area to share. We were charged $35, that was a surprise! Then we purchased a beer at the beer garden and started at the first booth Sweet and Sourdough. The Bay Shrimp Louie was ok but underwhelming. Next booth The Onion Lair and tried the Braised Wagyu Beef with Polenta and onion, it was very tasty but a little watery. Next at the Lemon Grove DH tried the Roasted Cauliflower, he liked it, and the cherry lemonade, delicious. Then on to Garlic Kissed fir the Grilled Beef Tenderloin Slider, very tasty but not very garlicky. LA Style and the Teriyaki Sliders and the Korean Beef Tacos, both very good. Sharing a pass worked for us, we had plenty to eat, and the price was right. We tried a mimosa flight at uncorked, I would purchase the pear mimosa next time, very good. My favorites were the Grilled Beef Tenderloin Slider, the Teriyaki Chicken Slider and the Korean Beef Tacos.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow. Did they lower the price? I have bought two of them for $45 each

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

If they did lower the price (can anyone confirm this?), Mr. Tea is eyeing our second lanyard!

I have two too--guess I'll be checking on the price next time I go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

I will have SOMEONE check her credit card as I am pretty sure she paid $39 or 35 for hers in mid March.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Tried to go there at one point in D.W. But it was crowded. And that hope to one day go at Food and Wine thing. Heard it is a blast.

April Showers and Easter 2024!

All the recent posts about lower price on the Sip and Savor pass got me excited! I was at DCA yesterday and asked questions. I did not see any S&S passes for sale at the AP Center by Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta, nor at the carts below Wine Country Trattoria. :o We finally asked cast members standing at the info booth near Carthay Circle and they told us supplies were running low and to check Stage 17 in Hollywood Land. We did and we did find them there. I asked how much they were selling for and they said $45. When we told them we couldn't find any anywhere else in the park, they said they'd heard too quantities were running low and thought they had the remaining inventory. She did say how many they had; we neglected to ask.

If they were indeed selling for less than $45, I might've picked up my third one, just to use on desserts. But I have all the AP buttons now from the food booths. I'll be frugal.

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Good to know they're up front at Stage 17 now. Hoping to snag my second pass next week when some friends can finally attend and we can eat all the things!

Thanks for the info on them. Trying to find a day to get back there before it ends to try more stuff and was going to grab one. So now here is to hoping there is still some left.

A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

A poster on another board is reporting that all locations were out of Sip and Savor passes today. I guess that was a more popular offering than they expected. Or the pencil pushers and number guys figured just right to order enough to run out just as busy spring break season ramped up.

Blog Entries

Today around 3pm a cast member at the merch spot near mermaid just flat out told me u advance they were sold out of the lanyards and may have some by the weekend but he was not sure (I was wearing my half used lanyard at the time). All the buttons for this week were gone too (not surprised since it's the last day).

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Attended the Rodney Strong vineyard tasting today. I think I found a favorite Pinot Noir.

Now the food for today
    Bacon Twist- Bacon Mac n Cheese. Really great smoky flavor and creamy sauce. Savory with a kick.
    Onion Lair - French Onion Mac and Cheese with Parmesan Crumble. The other end of the flavor spectrum. The onions on there are sweet and the sauce is lighter. The parmesan have it a salt hit. I think it may be an acquired taste for some.
    LA Style - Chicken Teriyaki Slider. Very good but messy. The Hawaiian rolls was too small for the chicken piece.
    Onion Lair - chocolate hazelnut and raspberry tart. I thought the filling was excellent but the shell was a little firm. Think of it as a filled croissant instead of a tart. The hint of raspberry in one of the bites was great.

I have now tried at least one item at each of the booths. Now it's time to enjoyed round 2 :-).

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Today around 3pm a cast member at the merch spot near mermaid just flat out told me u advance they were sold out of the lanyards and may have some by the weekend but he was not sure (I was wearing my half used lanyard at the time). All the buttons for this week were gone too (not surprised since it's the last day).

I wondered if there would be a fifth button, being that past events only offered four, tho' the festival ran five weeks.
    "The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Blog Entries

made an unplanned stop today since I wanted to make sure to get a Week 4 button

Garlic Kissed - Black Garlic and Soy-braised Pork Belly Bao. I don't know if I will ever truly LOVE the texture of a bao - but the flavor here was a very strong Soy with a touch of sesame and garlic. The pork belly was so moist and melt in your mouth. The pickled veggies were a nice bite in the flavor.
    Cali Craft Brews - well, I wanted to earn the stamp, so I tried what I thought would be a great balanced Red ale. Bear Republic Brewing Co., Red Rocket, Amber Ale, Healdsburg. Still a little too hoppy for me.

I was surprised that Friday (April 7) between 3 and 4 during Spring Break the crowd level was much less than yesterday (Thursday April 6). I understand how DtD might not be as crowded but the walkways in DCA were not as backed up and the lines at the booths were maybe 2 people (except the beers of course - they are ALWAYS 6 or 8 deep. Can;t walk around DCA without one :-/ )

Finally - still no Sip and Stroll lanyards as of 330pm Friday April 7th.

I just saw a post on Facebook that they were available 10 minutes ago. So they must have just replenished the supply.

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I was surprised that Friday (April 7) between 3 and 4 during Spring Break the crowd level was much less than yesterday (Thursday April 6). I understand how DtD might not be as crowded but the walkways in DCA were not as backed up and the lines at the booths were maybe 2 people (except the beers of course - they are ALWAYS 6 or 8 deep. Can;t walk around DCA without one :-/ )

Finally - still no Sip and Stroll lanyards as of 330pm Friday April 7th.
    So Cal APs were valid yesterday. They're blocked today and for the rest of the event. I expected a lull today and then tomorrow it will pick up with all of the Signature APs who are not on Spring Break.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    So Cal APs were valid yesterday. They're blocked today and for the rest of the event. I expected a lull today and then tomorrow it will pick up with all of the Signature APs who are not on Spring Break.
    You are probably right - though yesterday it still seemed like a lot more tourists than APs. U can tell from how they talk about the park and how full their packs/strollers are. Many international guests as well.

Blog Entries

Oh one more thing. My wife.noticed this before I did. There are no reds or oranges or browns in the AP buttons. We just thought it was interesting that the color palette was Co trolled like that..

During the fall AP days they were all orange, green and yellow. I think they just pick a palette for each promotion and go with that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    During the fall AP days they were all orange, green and yellow. I think they just pick a palette for each promotion and go with that.
    That's probably right. It's interesting nonetheless.

The lanyards were back at AP Corner and at Stage 17 today. I asked the CM at the register at AP Corner about the lanyard price. She said that it has always been $45. There is a pre-set button on the register that is set for $45, so a CM couldn't punch in a lower price number even if s/he tried. She had not heard about any lower price offered throughout this event. Interesting...

We used up all our tabs tonight. Lines were pleasantly short. This F&W event has been fun and an improvement over last year's offering. Hoping that next year improves even more.

Blog Entries

I used my last two tabs today. I had to get the Beef Slider one more time - and I also tried the Jackfruit Carnutas Banh Mi Nachos. For me they were just OK. The flavor of the Carnitas and Jackfruit took over any flavor of the cilantro crema. For me - nachos need to have a sauce that provides stickiness for the other ingredients.

I also tried the Milk Chocolate Sourdough Bread Pudding. For me - the bomb. Firm on the outside but warm and egg-creamy on the inside.

I also attended the Trefethen Vineyards presentation ND the Eat Like Walt cooking demo with Marcy Smothers - and got some D23 Beach towel swag. The stories Marcy has been able to dig up are really great (Doritos invented at Disneyland?). Her book (Eat Like Walt) will be out in September.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know the music played. I know Oakland Zone is Tower of Power, and there is a version of Know the way to San Jose, but what about the other two?