Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tomorrowland Re-do

Quote Originally Posted by EmmasMom View Post
    I really liked the theme of Tomorrowland/Discoveryland of Euro Disney when I went years ago. It had a Jules Verne, HG Wells, almost steampunk feel. Retro science fiction. The beauty of that is that you'd never have to worry about real science and technology making it obsolete because it's science that never was.
    They tried this with the Tomorrowland redo, but unfortunately, they only did it half heartedly. I think that if done on the scale of Disneyland Paris, it would be great. I also think that because of the last attempt that it wouldn't be accepted.
    I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the last attempt was to make it look old - like it's been around for quite a while - instead of steampunk/Jules Verne. That contrast against the clean white was too much. There was quite a derogatory name for the color scheme that I won't name here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I loved the look of Tomorrowland in Disneyland Paris when we went last year. It especially helped with how Space Mountain looks there and with the Nautilus sitting out. I don't know how that would work in Disneyland's Tomorrowland given the heavy Star Wars theming, with Star Tours and Hyperspace Mountain and Launch Bay, or how it would fit in with the coloring on Space Mountain and with the Buzz Lightyear attraction.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    As far as bumblebeeonarose comments - interesting you say Tomorrowland is too crowded in one place and then wasted space in another. Frankly I think the area around the Marble is quite crowded these days as well. The park IMO can't have every square inch devoted to attractions. And spreading out needs to be more than 10 feet between buildings.
    I didn't mean they needed more attractions perse or that we shouldn't have walkways with decor like the Marble fountain. I am reffering to how people say that the theater is a wasted opportunity the old Innoventions building is wasted space and that even the subs and Autopia take up too much space. Just that there is a lot of space there that they could do something with. If that's the case, then I feel that is also true of Fantasyland as there is the old motor boat area that is not being used. And whatever that big step thing is supposed to be across from Small World.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    And whatever that big step thing is supposed to be across from Small World.
    That was built as a viewing area for Light Magic. The show, of course, didn't last beyond one summer, but the viewing deck is still there.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    That was built as a viewing area for Light Magic. The show, of course, didn't last beyond one summer, but the viewing deck is still there.
    At this point its used for those still watching parades and mostly for the Small World line when it gets to a certain point. I think using the land were the old motor boats were is tricky because of the monorail track being there. Yet I am sure something could end up figured out if they really tried. There is also the space that the theater takes up. I know I hope we don't see anything in FL go away but instead sees the touches that Alice and Peter did. Yet I would rather see Tomorrowland taken care of over seeing more added to FL.

cstephens, I saw that post too. I know we always end up on that ride at some point so I think I won't tell the kids and let them see it on their own next time we are there.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't really want to see the subs go away. They had their 10 year scare of DL extinction and were brought back.

Being the only surviving example (obviously with new FL built on the old 20,000 Leagues ride area, the sub type ride will never return to WDW) and also sort of a unique ride makes me appreciate it more. I unfortunately was never to WDW when 20,000 Leagues still existed, so I never got to experience that attraction.

I know they are not very "tomorrow" like, but I still don't' want to see them go.

I'm definitely with olegc on preferring Astro Orbiter back where it belongs, high above TL. It seems like just another spinner when it's on the ground.

edit: After having read the MiceAge article, I'm also hoping Mr. Toad survives. I guess I am too sentimental for the things I first experienced as a kid. I miss the Skyway too

Last edited by Dave1313; 03-25-2017 at 06:48 AM.
    -Dave

Interesting side note. An elderly CM near the Fantasyland restrooms (at the closed trailhead to Frontierland) told me this morning that Fantasyland was the next land to be made over. I've seen this CM in the area many times over the years and she told me that they (CMs) were told this today. Don't know if her rumor is true or not.

Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Interesting side note. An elderly CM near the Fantasyland restrooms (at the closed trailhead to Frontierland) told me this morning that Fantasyland was the next land to be made over. I've seen this CM in the area many times over the years and she told me that they (CMs) were told this today. Don't know if her rumor is true or not.
    That was reported by David Koenig at Miceage but has not been confirmed by any Disney official.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
    Didn't they finally finish doing a make over at fantasyland at Disneyworld? Doesn't it now look more like the fantasyland at Disneyland?
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    Didn't they finally finish doing a make over at fantasyland at Disneyworld? Doesn't it now look more like the fantasyland at Disneyland?
    Bigger

When they redid Fantasyland at WDW they took out Snow White and used the space to create a meet and greet. They completely removed their Toon Town. That space became additional Fantasyland. They added the Mine Coaster, our Ariel ride (but way more elaborate queue), the Beauty and the Beast restaurant, and added a second Dumbo spinner with a large circus tent for a play queue and a water play area themed to Casey Jr. I would say that doesn't sound anything like our Fantasyland.

I'd have to agree.

Aside from the couple of rides that are close to being twins (though they have differences too), The 2 Fantasylands are really not much like one another (certainly not in the general appearance of the land). The lack of the classics : Mr. Toad, Pinocchio (ok, not "original classic", but it's been around for a while now), Snow White, Storybook Land, Casey Circus Train, Alice In Wonderland, and of Course Matterhorn in WDW makes them very different.

Of course there are a few things in WDW Fantasyland either not present in DL or in different locations (Pooh, previously mentioned Mermaid and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Mickey's PhilharMagic, The Enchanted Tales with Bell interactive show, and the Barnstormer coaster).

There's a lot more different than the same at this point, IMO.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    When they redid Fantasyland at WDW they took out Snow White and used the space to create a meet and greet. They completely removed their Toon Town. That space became additional Fantasyland. They added the Mine Coaster, our Ariel ride (but way more elaborate queue), the Beauty and the Beast restaurant, and added a second Dumbo spinner with a large circus tent for a play queue and a water play area themed to Casey Jr. I would say that doesn't sound anything like our Fantasyland.
    Agree its nothing like our's and I hope our's doesn't end up anything like WDW's. While the Mine Coaster looks fun its not something I want to see here. I don't want to see a copy of the BOG here either. I also don't want to see anything taken from our FL but if they want to do so then do something with the theater space. That area alone you could probably add 2-3 things with it. I know some could care less about Toontown but I would like to see it stay and not end up an extension of FL into that area.
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

According to my princess, its not Star Wars land its "You stole my goats away from me!!......in progress land"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I don't really want to see the subs go away.
    I'm with you, Dave - I still really enjoy the subs!
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'm with you, Dave - I still really enjoy the subs!
    Try riding the subs at night and stick your face into the viewing window the time. It is really pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    Try riding the subs at night and stick your face into the viewing window the time. It is really pretty cool.
    So which is worse - hot summer day on Autopia smelling exhaust gasses or sweaty BO near you on the Subs?
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    Now I have a new required thing to do the next time I visit DL! I don't think I've ever ridden the subs at night!

Just never occurred to me for some reason (or I was busy trying to fit in Fantasmic, fireworks, etc.)

Thanks for the suggestion!
    -Dave

So which is worse - hot summer day on Autopia smelling exhaust gasses or sweaty BO near you on the Subs?
    I do agree - them subs can get COZY!
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries

Having a disability, I really enjoy the viewing room for the Subs....and it's air conditioned. Sure, you don't get the same effect as looking through a window, but you're still seeing the same thing albeit a big screen in front of you. The cast members at the subs are very accommodating when you request entry into the viewing room. They have to let you in however....you can't just go there and open the door.

"Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching?"

I wanted to say: stick your face into the viewing window till your nose almost hits the glass and keep it there the whole ride.

The lagoon at night is gorgeous.