MousePlanet Staff

Mouse Tales' David Koenig: No Stroller For You

No Stroller For You by David Koenig

Disneyland rolling out stroller ban for new kiddy area

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm still not a fan of seeing Fantasy elements outside the border of the land. That shot earlier this week of the Horse car in the Hub with the spires and colors of Fantasy Faire in the background just kills the notion of any real transition. next thing you'll know is the the explanation will be the hub is the transition, not the traditional "gates". I think the features in FF are fantastic but who recalls the launch of PFF in the Fantasyland Theater? The crowds were massive and parents' "strong" desire to make sure their child gets their time and experience will not translate well to the smaller space. Would it be possible that Main St. vehicles are put on hold because the area has to be used for queuing? or something into Fantasyland itself? All for the mighty buck. I know people always say "Disney is a business" but there is something to be said about attending to ALL guests' experiences and not simply the segment willing to shell out a hundred bucks for costumes and accessories.

as far as the alcohol - I guess I am over the whole "not in Disneyland" thing. Though that video of the man in front of ToT last year getting maced was quite interesting. My guess would be BB and the Ranch since these are longer-seated meal locations. I can't see them doing HB anytime soon only because it would be difficult to manage keeping the containers local to the restaurant. At MK in WDW do they require the bottles/containers to stay within the confines of the restaurant? if so -then they'd probably want locations that have single or well-viewed entrances. Hmm...

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

So here's what I foresee: "You just let that family ahead of me enter with a stroller! Why can't we?" About 100 times an hour. And a lot of those parents aren't going to wait for an answer, either. This has PR nightmare written all over it.

My kiddos are too old for strollers now (which is so nice!) but I would never have balked at setting the stroller aside if a cast member asked me to. I think a lot of parents are aware that the stroller is convenient for their family, but can make trouble for others, especially in crowded areas. I would rather hold my child while waiting in line than feel like I was causing a problem for someone else. Disneyland is supposed to be fun for everyone, not just the ones with massive baby equipment. I hope other parents would agree with me and that they won't bug the CM's too much. And I would even have taken a sleeping baby (or two--I have twins) out and left the stroller behind. Maybe it's because we are once-a-year visitors from the far-away Midwest, but I wouldn't care if the babies woke up. Nobody sleeps much on a Disney vacation! :-)

I hate strollers so this news makes me smile.

John

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    That shot earlier this week of the Horse car in the Hub with the spires and colors of Fantasy Faire in the background just kills the notion of any real transition.
    I thought that shot was very disingenuous. You could easily take a shot of the trolley in front of Tomorrowland, or the wilds of Adventureland. The Hub has always been a place where the themes blended, and I think they did a nice job with this new area.

And I've always thought the Blue Bayou would be a much nicer restaurant if they'd serve beer & wine, at least with dinner. Why spend all that money on fine dining if you have to sip iced tea with your steak? It'll be a great move, and I can't wait to watch long time DL regulars lose their minds!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I thought that shot was very disingenuous. You could easily take a shot of the trolley in front of Tomorrowland, or the wilds of Adventureland. The Hub has always been a place where the themes blended, and I think they did a nice job with this new area.
    You are right, of course, but I also do believe that the other "transitions" are subtle. You see something beyond a gate, so to speak (well, in frontierland's case literally). Now with FF - especially the super-bright canopy of the old bandstand, and it hits you square in the face. The press pieces also have said that FF is "inside Fantasyland" so I guess the princesses are exercising eminent domain on the Dapper Dans...
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Aren't there already some attractions where strollers aren't allowed? For example, on Star Tours, IASW and Nemo? How is this any different?

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    Aren't there already some attractions where strollers aren't allowed? For example, on Star Tours, IASW and Nemo? How is this any different?
    Yes, but at least for Nemo when the lines were 3-4 hours long you could keep the stroller until the last 10-20 minutes when they parked it for you. It sounds like for this area the strollers will be banned completely, which may make for more frequent meltdowns if the line to see princesses exceeds an hour (and I assume it will).

The old line had you park your strollers. We were always asked to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    true - but all of those are rides themselves (with a queue) - not an area where you can walk around freely (there is a queue for princess meet and greet). THat whole area where the stage is and the old seating for eating - will be stroller free. Think if the old Princess Fantasy Fair at the Fantasyland THeater had no strollers- anywhere Maybe the bridge up over the creek into the new Fantasy Faire can be called a troll bridge (DOH!)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I can't remember if the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail at DCA allows strollers.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I can't remember if the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail at DCA allows strollers.
    No it doesn't. You are directed to park them across the way against the rail for Grizzly.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    No it doesn't. You are directed to park them across the way against the rail for Grizzly.
    OK, thanks, I haven't been there in a long time and couldn't remember if I saw strollers in there.

So there's a precedence for not allowing strollers in an area (not just a ride).
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...