Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: That's My Opinion: Park Peeves 2012

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

That's My Opinion: Park Peeves 2012

Park Peeves 2012 by Steve Russo

It's time for another chapter of The Curmudgeon's Guide to Walt Disney World.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I so had to laugh at your last entry in regards to Trip Reports. Something I find even more nauseating than a pre-trip report written months before the event is a pre-trip dining report that details all of the writer's minute ADR changes 6 months or more beforehand. I also agree with the peeve in regards to those that make a 5 day trip take MONTHS to finish a report. I do think there should be some leeway for "live" reports though and I greatly appreciate those.

Man I am with you on Pre-Trip reports and unfinished reports. I've taken several approaches: I've written 50-page single-post reports, then when people complained about such a long read I've taken that same report and made one-post-per-day reports (but only after finishing the whole report, no more than a day or elapsed between posts), then I did one 'live' report (for a Disney Camping forum since it was our first camping trip). I think the per-day approach is best for, it puts the report into bite-size pieces because I'm long winded. Like you, I now only read reports by people who I know will finish them (not to sound like a fan-boy, but yours are my hands-down favorite). I haven't written one in several years but our last few trips weren't very magical, so I didn't want to rehash them. We're going in September this year so I hope to have good one in store!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marclichon View Post
    Man I am with you on Pre-Trip reports and unfinished reports. I've taken several approaches: I've written 50-page single-post reports, then when people complained about such a long read I've taken that same report and made one-post-per-day reports (but only after finishing the whole report, no more than a day or elapsed between posts), then I did one 'live' report (for a Disney Camping forum since it was our first camping trip). I think the per-day approach is best for, it puts the report into bite-size pieces because I'm long winded. Like you, I now only read reports by people who I know will finish them (not to sound like a fan-boy, but yours are my hands-down favorite). I haven't written one in several years but our last few trips weren't very magical, so I didn't want to rehash them. We're going in September this year so I hope to have good one in store!
    Thank you.

I really don't understand why "people complained about such a long read"... it's fairly simple to leave a Web page and return later to continue reading. I've even copy/pasted reports to a Word document that I could "share" with other devices to read as I had time.

My difficulty is trying to read a report broken into dozens or scores of small pieces separated by lengthy exchanges. I certainly don't read that way when reading a book, newspaper story, magazine article, etc. I'm not sure why some like it for a trip report... maybe someone here will explain it.
    Steve

The Technologist: yes, it appears that everyone has their phone out to take pics above everyone's head. But the worst is that stinking iPad. When people take picture or video with that, they hold up this giant television if you will, and your attention is helplessly drawn to it.

As for Pleasure Island, I never went over there, so it means nothing to me that it's closed. To be honest, Pleasure Island openned when I was just a kid. When I'd see the advertisements on the Disney Channel, I remember being scared to go there for fear I'd turn into a donkey like on Pinnochio. I guess that fear never left me as I never ventured past it's gates.

I definitely am with you on the Tomorrowland Terrace. I went there in the summer of 2002 and had this great sliced meat sandwich. Every trip since then, which hasn't been in the summer, the TT has been closed. And don't even get me started on El Parrot Y Pirata or whatever it's called. I'd love an option in the park other than a burger joint. But it, too, is always closed when we go.

As far as the high cost of brew, I'm fine with it. I don't drink and I don't really like to be around people even remotely lit up. So if they keep the price of beer out of reach for some people, it makes for a more magical resort experience. But that's just me.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

Steve, thanks for another great list of pet peeves. I agree with all of them, although I don't drink alcohol unless it's a glass of wine on a special occasion, so the price of beer doesn't affect me. But the same peeve applies to other things at Disney that are way over-priced.

DisneyGator (above post) is right on about the ipads in the parks. I had a pretty annoying experience during the parade at Animal Kingdom last December with a lady who was standing right next to us flashing this big screen in my face every time I tried to take a picture of my own. We also saw a guy down in front at the Beauty and the Beast show at the Studios who was holding an ipad up in the air to take video. Thankfully, we weren't directly behind him, so he didn't affect us, but I could just image what the people right behind him were thinking! I know the technology is out there and people are going to us it, but PLEASE be considerate of others who are also trying to enjoy the park experience!

Pet Peeves

Quote Originally Posted by MousePlanet AutoPoster View Post
    Park Peeves 2012 by Steve Russo

It's time for another chapter of The Curmudgeon's Guide to Walt Disney World.

Read it here!
    I have just read all of your Pet Peeves over the years and agree with most of them. Missing, however, is one of my pet peeves - people who think the que at Soaring is a single file line, despite exhortations by CMs to move forward and fill all available spaces!! When you move forward to do this, you are met with glares, grumbling or worse. This applies to part of Test Track, and Pirates as well. Second to this is people who play games in the Space Mountain line, don't quit when the line moves and then get angry when you go around them. i sometimes think that Disney should install a marked walkway through the parks with directional arrows painted on it (no scooters or strollers) so people trying to cross the park can do so. We avoid this by going at off peak times ( I won't tell you my favorite week!!!) and taking advantage of special events such as the Halloween party. My daughter and I are huge Disney fans - she still believes in the Disney Magic -and we are able to go several times a year. If you see Pocahantas and a Lady pirate at a Halloween party or two this year, say hello. It will be us!

My take on Pet Peeves.

1. Cameras are getting better. The next generation of cameras should be able to take low light photos and videos so no flash is required. Thus, you can enjoy your rides and not know anyone is filming. My iPhone seldom uses flash. It just takes such wonderful photos in natural light. The flash isn't as powerful and doesn't ruin other people's experience.

2. Getting a great cup of coffee is important, but not if I had to pay $5.00 for Latte, or $2.00 for drip coffee. Take advantage of in room coffee with automatic coffee maker. Bring some coffee and filters. Bring your own portable coffee mug. An alternative is coffee at McDonald's, which tastes terrific and very cheap. To take advantage, get a rental car.

3. Get a six pack and some wine bottles at the local grocery store. A good reason to get a rental car. It'll almost pay for the alcohol.

4. It is weird that they close the restaurants at 6:30pm, which is dinner hour for most people. It is time to write complaint letters.

5. Downtown Disney parking can be discouraged if they stop allowing all day parking. Increase the price so all day parking is the same price as the park parking lots. Allow the first 3 hours as free. Each additional hour is $5.00 until maximum of $20.00. Store and restaurant validation extends the free parking to 5 hours. This is the system in Anaheim where I live. Usually, I go there for 3 hours to visit the store and watch the fireworks within the 3 hours limit.

6. A good reason to skip Downtown Disney.

7. I don't bother with trip reports much. I usually look for specific ride reports instead like the new Cars ride or Transformers or Harry Potter. The trip reports themselves are long winded. A private person myself, I find them rather exploitive with photos of themselves and kids and giving us every single detail of what they do, their spouse, and kids, how much they spent, what they ate, and their differing bad habits. Really weird and not self aware.

I live by bullet points and highlights. In 2 to 3 paragraphs, give us the meat. Skip the side stories. No planning stories. Maybe a few tips here and there.

We haven't been to Downtown Disney since they closed our favorite club 8 Traxx!

We always buy our booze from the grocery store first. The prices in the hotel shops are ROBBERY!

I never read trip reports unless they're by someone I "know" and I trust will be interesting. Dan Young's and Adrienne K's (among others) are a must for me.

I'm not a big coffee drinker so I can put up with Disney coffee for the length of my stay.

Trying to watch a parade or show and having someone holding their phone/ipad above their head and in your face is a more than simply annoying phenomenon in recent times. It's downright rude! People just using their phones to text, etc. during dark shows pisses me off as well.

As we usually visit during the "off" season, we haven't seen the Tomorrowland Terrace or Tortuga Tavern (formerly El Pirata Y El Perico) open in years.

John

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jimbo - re 1 - that may be true of flashes, but NOT of view screens. Have you TRIED to find a camera with a view finder and a view screen that could be disabled? They just aren't available unless you move up to a digital SLR

re 4 -- at least WDW posts that information on their Times Guides. You have to guess at Disneyland when things are going to open late/close early. And for those lamenting the Noodle Terrace never being open -- it was good when I first went there (when they had actual pad thai) but after they changed the menu, I did have one opportunity to try it. SOOOO not worth it. Go to Columbia Harbor House instead!

re 5 - you do realize that DTD doesn't currently charge for parking, right? What about the people who go to enjoy the live entertainment, or aren't sure they'll find what they want in the stores -- they're going to stop coming if they have to pay for parking.

re 6 - If Disney had actually DONE what they said they'd do, instead of closing everything and doing nothing, it would be fine. It'd be like closing all of Critter Country in DL with the promise of something fun and exciting to come - and then just leaving it shuttered. 'Just don't go' is such a waste.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Jimbo - re 1 - that may be true of flashes, but NOT of view screens. Have you TRIED to find a camera with a view finder and a view screen that could be disabled? They just aren't available unless you move up to a digital SLR

re 4 -- at least WDW posts that information on their Times Guides. You have to guess at Disneyland when things are going to open late/close early. And for those lamenting the Noodle Terrace never being open -- it was good when I first went there (when they had actual pad thai) but after they changed the menu, I did have one opportunity to try it. SOOOO not worth it. Go to Columbia Harbor House instead!

re 5 - you do realize that DTD doesn't currently charge for parking, right? What about the people who go to enjoy the live entertainment, or aren't sure they'll find what they want in the stores -- they're going to stop coming if they have to pay for parking.

re 6 - If Disney had actually DONE what they said they'd do, instead of closing everything and doing nothing, it would be fine. It'd be like closing all of Critter Country in DL with the promise of something fun and exciting to come - and then just leaving it shuttered. 'Just don't go' is such a waste.
    re1 - Yes, view screens are a problem and even more with iPads. I do find iPads and tablets to be distracting. I agree with you.

re4 - What good does this do when there are no alternatives? You can leave ahead of time and park hop to a park that will remain open longer. Of course, this doesn't help if you have to stay in the park and catch the last show in the park. You'll have to deal with being hungry.

re5 - Yes, I do realize. Live entertainment will not last the whole day, same with shopping. Forcing people to pay for parking will discourage abusing DTD parking for ALL DAY PARKING. There's nothing wrong with allowing for free 3 hour parking. Many places already do this.

re6 - Just don't go is a choice. Normally, if something is closed down, it means there's nothing to see here. And you want to come back to see nothing?

Totally agree on the Technologists, Steve - especially the folks who have to video fireworks; it's probably my second biggest peeve after glow junk (please, don't get me started on glow junk). Seriously - Put. The camera. Down.

Thank you, thank you for the list of good coffee places.

I also very feel you on the trip reports. The smaller community is why MP is my favorite forum but I do read elsewhere. It is very very frustrating to read those trip reports that end up 20+ pages long and unless the author takes the (extreme) amount of time to link in the original post. I wonder if it would be possible to write a trip report and then ask for the post to be locked until the author is done. Is there a way to alter permission in a certain folder/forum? It'd be too much work to have to ask mods to lock or unlock all the time but it would be nice if users could lock their own threads in the trip report folder.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    As far as the high cost of brew, I'm fine with it. I don't drink and I don't really like to be around people even remotely lit up. So if they keep the price of beer out of reach for some people, it makes for a more magical resort experience. But that's just me.
    The point of the article was the writer liked to relax with an Adult beverage after he has visited the parks for the day. The cost of alcohol in the parks is high enough, to a point where some will reconsider drinking for the sake of drinking. But thats a whole other debate. The price for a Domestic 6-pack is just obscene.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a pre-comment, if you actually want to see my comments come back later,,,,,, j/k

I so agree with you on the trip reports. When I open a trip report and it's one of the pre-trip kind or the unfinished I never come back to them.

One of my latest pet peeves is the "Screamers", young ladies who have to scream and scream constantly on a ride or the ones that you are always finding in the Haunted Mansion who have to not only scream but scream shrilly and loudly just to scream in the stretching room at the end.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo996 View Post
    My take on Pet Peeves.

1. Cameras are getting better. The next generation of cameras should be able to take low light photos and videos so no flash is required. Thus, you can enjoy your rides and not know anyone is filming. My iPhone seldom uses flash. It just takes such wonderful photos in natural light. The flash isn't as powerful and doesn't ruin other people's experience.
    The problem, as I see it, won't go away. I see hundreds of flashbulbs going off at Illuminations, Fantasmic, Wishes... will a flash that illuminates 15' in front of the camera do any good in those environments? Of course not but people still use them.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by srusso100 View Post
    The problem, as I see it, won't go away. I see hundreds of flashbulbs going off at Illuminations, Fantasmic, Wishes... will a flash that illuminates 15' in front of the camera do any good in those environments? Of course not but people still use them.
    Maybe technology will take care of this as well. There is a fireworks mode in most point and shoot cameras. It's just that many people, myself included, don't know how to access it, or forget to access it in time. Thus, the flash still works during a show. It is hoped that a camera in automatic mode can account for this and not flash objects beyond its range. Who knows when this will happen.

Thanks as always for the excellent list of peeves, Steve. I agree with most of them, but I'm going to disagree on the trip report one. I can understand how it can be a somewhat difficult read. But as someone who posts daily when visiting a Disney park, it's really fun to get back to my room and read a dozen responses to what I've posted the previous day. It's also much easier to post as the trip is happening than it is to remember it all once I arrive back home. Judging from the responses to my trip report entries, a lot of folks really do seem to enjoy the blow by blow as it's happening, kind of a living vicariously through my experiences, which is as fun for me as it is for the readers. And since I go back and re-read what I've posted during past trips, it's not really that hard to skip the comments if you want and just read the main posts from the trip report. Of course that's not as easy as reading it all at once, but it's quite a bit more fun to post over the length of a trip.

But I do agree that if someone's going to post a report, they should complete it within just a few days. And I also agree that the pre-reports get to be pretty boring to me (and I suspect to most people). I'm not that interested in where you're leaving your cat or how much homework your kids are taking with you or what repairs are done on the car to get it ready for the trip. Keep in mind that what's fascinating to you really doesn't mean a whole bunch to most folks. Oh, and try to make reports a little more interesting than "and then we rode this and then we rode that and then we ate here and then we saw the parade . . .", etc.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Thanks as always for the excellent list of peeves, Steve. I agree with most of them, but I'm going to disagree on the trip report one. I can understand how it can be a somewhat difficult read. But as someone who posts daily when visiting a Disney park, it's really fun to get back to my room and read a dozen responses to what I've posted the previous day. It's also much easier to post as the trip is happening than it is to remember it all once I arrive back home. Judging from the responses to my trip report entries, a lot of folks really do seem to enjoy the blow by blow as it's happening, kind of a living vicariously through my experiences, which is as fun for me as it is for the readers. And since I go back and re-read what I've posted during past trips, it's not really that hard to skip the comments if you want and just read the main posts from the trip report. Of course that's not as easy as reading it all at once, but it's quite a bit more fun to post over the length of a trip.

But I do agree that if someone's going to post a report, they should complete it within just a few days. And I also agree that the pre-reports get to be pretty boring to me (and I suspect to most people). I'm not that interested in where you're leaving your cat or how much homework your kids are taking with you or what repairs are done on the car to get it ready for the trip. Keep in mind that what's fascinating to you really doesn't mean a whole bunch to most folks. Oh, and try to make reports a little more interesting than "and then we rode this and then we rode that and then we ate here and then we saw the parade . . .", etc.
    That's an excellent point, Dan, and you might be surprised to learn I agree. Posting a complete Day One, with several exchanges, followed by a complete Day Two, etc. is fine. My issue is with the two or three paragraphs followed by "will post more when I find time". Day One is now spread over 8 posts with a dozen exchanges between each entry. I just can't enjoy a report that way.
    Steve

Amen on the flash! I left SeaWorld with a headache. I just wanted to look at and occasionally photograph something in the tanks but all I could see was flash reflection after flash reflection. I really wish I could have been there when some of these people got home and found that half their vacation photos were just shots of their own flash reflecting right back at them.

Even more than the flash these days, I'm having a real hard time with picture taking from an IPAD. It's just to danged big a screen, and people always need to hold it up over their heads, blocking off all view for 2 or 3 rows behind them. Very bad form!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

If you have one of those professional cameras and a good shot, take it. Otherwise, don't bother. Do you really want to view your vacation/life through a lens? The pictures people will enjoy in years to come won't be of the fireworks anyway. They'll be their family members and friends.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Steve,

Great article as usual!!

We noticed a lot of the "Technologists" on our recent trip to Disneyland.....very annoying.

I don't drink coffe or "suds" so those problems don't affect my WDW vacation, but I can surely sympathize. When I was a teenager I know that Disney did the same thing with six packs of soda at Fort Wilderness that they now do with six packs of beer. Needless to say (since we drove) my Mom always brought soda with us!

I also can't figure out why Disney often closes their restaurants so early. I remember back in 2004, we were doing an E-night in the Magic Kingdom. We didnt leave the park until 2:00am. However, all the counter service places and all the food carts were closed before 9:00. It was terrible, we had eaten a late lunch and never got to have dinner. We were starving!!!!

Pleasure Island is just, well........sad.........

As one of the "like minded trip report readers" I agree with you 100%!!!! Just wait until you have it all typed up and ready to go!!!!

Thanks for the article Steve! I realy enjoyed it!

Heidi Commerford

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FortWilderness IsHome View Post
    Steve,

Great article as usual!!

We noticed a lot of the "Technologists" on our recent trip to Disneyland.....very annoying.

I don't drink coffe or "suds" so those problems don't affect my WDW vacation, but I can surely sympathize. When I was a teenager I know that Disney did the same thing with six packs of soda at Fort Wilderness that they now do with six packs of beer. Needless to say (since we drove) my Mom always brought soda with us!

I also can't figure out why Disney often closes their restaurants so early. I remember back in 2004, we were doing an E-night in the Magic Kingdom. We didnt leave the park until 2:00am. However, all the counter service places and all the food carts were closed before 9:00. It was terrible, we had eaten a late lunch and never got to have dinner. We were starving!!!!

Pleasure Island is just, well........sad.........

As one of the "like minded trip report readers" I agree with you 100%!!!! Just wait until you have it all typed up and ready to go!!!!

Thanks for the article Steve! I realy enjoyed it!

Heidi Commerford
    Thanks, Heidi.
    Steve

DwarfPlanet I could not agree with you more! Those teenaged screamers have made my last few visits unbearble! I had a few girls behind me on Big Thunder Mountain that screamed the WHOLE ride. I turned around a couple times to give them the glare (ha) and once I even told them to shut up! So irritating. I also hate the flashes in the dark rides. C'mon people, seriously? How many times and in how many different languages do they need to say "Please no flash photography"??