Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    It's almost as bad as trying to register for MouseAdventure anymore!
    Hey now! At least we don't have not-so-secret "exclusive" pre-registration opportunities!

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    On top of that, I got an email from rD that I had opted to register for the Tink/Princess challenge but I had not completed my Tink registration. I had to email back stating that I was registering for Tink through my charity team.
    That's nice that they asked you about it and not just assumed for whatever reason that you were waiting to sign up when Tink registration opens.

It is official!

5K Friday, 10K Saturday, Half Sunday, No Challenge

Expo will open on Thursday instead of Friday

www.RunningoftheEars.com

MA Teams Luck Be a Lady & It's My Way or the Skyway!

Quote Originally Posted by swanie View Post
    It is official!

UGH!!! That just totally messed up our travel plans.....5K is Friday???

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is official!

Hmm, MONDAY is the holiday (for many) - why not do Sat/Sun/Mon?
    Cathy

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    UGH!!! That just totally messed up our travel plans.....5K is Friday???
    Yup. According to runDisney it's at 5:45 a.m. on Friday. 10k is at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday. Half is at 5:00 a.m. on Sunday.

This means between the Tink and the Dopey, we would be attempting 2 5ks, 2 10ks, 2 half marathons and a full marathon in the space of 11 days. Cool...
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Most of us have already booked travel plans for Friday - Monday. A Friday morning race and a Thursday expo just threw a total wrench into the plans. Sadly, we cant arrive until LATE Thursday and adding a 4th night of hotel will be costly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    Most of us have already booked travel plans for Friday - Monday. A Friday morning race and a Thursday expo just threw a total wrench into the plans. Sadly, we cant arrive until LATE Thursday and adding a 4th night of hotel will be costly.
    It would have been nice had runDisney announced the additional 10k and/or confirmed what was being shown on Active.com long before three days before pre-registration opens. Like say when they sold the Tinker Bell Half as part of the Princess package. Or before most of us had made travel arrangements.
    RunningFool

It is official!

Wow, crazy. Can't believe they are announcing it at the last minute like this! Sorry for anyone whose travel and plans are impacted.

I'm comfortable with my decision to stick with "just" the half. Maybe someday when I can sleep in on weekends again, I'll be able to consider the idea of two early morning races in a row. I also know that I don't quite have the discipline to run slow (for me) on purpose in the first of two back to back races. So, Saturday will be kid-race day for us. I'll enjoy watching / helping the cubs get their Peter Pan medals!
    Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    It would have been nice had runDisney announced the additional 10k and/or confirmed what was being shown on Active.com long before three days before pre-registration opens. Like say when they sold the Tinker Bell Half as part of the Princess package. Or before most of us had made travel arrangements.
    I was confused actually, we haven't booked our hotel yet (I thought we did). At this rate we will be pulling in with the camper trailer and staying at the RV park so we can afford to eat. LOL!!!
    I definitely don't think an "on property" stay will be happening this time since I'm doing the Princess in Feb. I'm just a little upset about the 5K being on Friday.
    I have lots of people I wanted to support for that race. I don't know if Hubby and DDs schedules can permit us getting to the event on Thursday.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Talk about a clerical mess for me today. Argh!

I think a Friday morning 5k is a bad idea. Of course, rD is thinking that this will cause more people to stay an extra night in the hotels and parks. I'm revising my numbers tomorrow to account for the 10k addition, but I'm sure my 5k team will shrink by half or more. It's sad because Missy and P are doing the 5k together and with it being Friday morning they won't have most of their chEAR squad there to see them cross the finish line. Kids have school on Friday....HELLO. So much for a FAMILY fun run.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Talk about a clerical mess for me today. Argh!

I think a Friday morning 5k is a bad idea. Of course, rD is thinking that this will cause more people to stay an extra night in the hotels and parks. I'm revising my numbers tomorrow to account for the 10k addition, but I'm sure my 5k team will shrink by half or more. It's sad because Missy and P are doing the 5k together and with it being Friday morning they won't have most of their chEAR squad there to see them cross the finish line. Kids have school on Friday....HELLO. So much for a FAMILY fun run.
    Exactly. Good Job Disney. You fail.
    (About kids having school!) Monday is the holiday not FRIDAY!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

By the way, I strongly recommend you let runDisney know how you feel (via Twitter, FB, etc.). I think the part that really gets people is that people have already registered for Princess with the assumption of Tink... with plans to take family to Tink and sign up for the 5K... and that this completely puts your travel dates into turmoil--not to mention that people might not want to take their children out of school for a weekday for the 5K.

Not very good planning when they hooked people into the pink C2C medal and registration already happened for Princess.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries

I think there was also the assumption that IF a 10k WAS added (and to Lani's point it should have been mentioned prior to pre-Tinker / Princess sign-up), it would be scheduled similar to the 10k in September at Disneyland which meant it would be run the same day (Saturday) as the 5k. Instead they took a page from Princess and WDW and just moved everything out a day. As everyone has pointed out, kids got school - people gotta work. And the MLK holiday is just sitting on the other side of the weekend...

Frankly, very, very poor communication and event planning on runDisney's part.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

I totally agree. Our family will be traveling separately. Thank goodness it's just an hour drive. It's really ridiculous and it's a ploy to keep people spending money at the resort one extra day. I'm pretty ticked.

Blog Entries

We've debated what the tipping point may be for runDisney to start to see a diminished return on their events. Frankly, it may not be the $$$ but 'lack of thought' in scheduling that may actually push runners to other races.

That said, this year's event will probably sell out in record time.

RunningFool

Blog Entries
    We've debated what the tipping point may be for runDisney to start to see a diminished return on their events. Frankly, it may not be the $$$ but 'lack of thought' in scheduling that may actually push runners to other races.

That said, this year's event will probably sell out in record time.
    The half marathon maybe, and the 10k will probably sell out quick. But, I'm not sure about the 5k. I'm reducing my 5k order significantly tomorrow.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I am so, ahem, UNHAPPY about this announcement that I can't begin to express myself in uncensored language.

This was, clearly, a greedy decision. Nothing will convince me otherwise. I don't care what they perceived to be the DEMAND for this - I don't care how much they think people WANTED this decision - they clearly rushed to produce it without enough time to do it right.

The signs are all right there - They didn't even get this announced before they had their order forms out to charity teams, leaving team leaders scrambling now. They didn't get their act together in advance of the Princess Glass slipper and Pink Coast to Coast challenge. So they can't possibly have a CHALLENGE for Tink weekend or else face the wrath of all those Princess Coast to Coast runners.

And on top of it all - ON TOP OF IT ALL - They're moving the 5K to FRIDAY!?!?!????

ALL FIVE OF THE KROCK POTS had planned to participate in the 5K this year!!!!!! We started planning for this last January.

Well, that plan is in the toilet now, thankyouverymuch.

And seriously - WHO thought this was a good idea? This is Tinker Bell. This is not a destination event. This is a Girls Getaway Weekend. Most of the Girls participating in this event have jobs and families and other obligations on Friday morning at 5:45 am. This isn't a big demographic for a FRIDAY MORNING event. And for those of us who make it a FAMILY weekend, well, yeah, so now we're supposed to:

** TAKE OUR CHILDREN OUT OF SCHOOL on Friday. (Hello? I have two kids in secondary school. Check out a calendar, this is finals time for a lot of kids in that demographic.)
    ** ADD A DAY TO OUR ITINERARY - Another hotel night.
    ** Another day on our park hoppers (if we have to buy them)
    ** Another day of buying food at the DL resort.

Oh, wait, I see why THEY Want to extend this by a day.

NICE. JUST SWELL.

(Are you at this point wondering "Gee, AdK, tell us how you really feel"?)

I was running errands today when my phone exploded with text messages giving me this information. I admit, I texted a few obscenities. 12 hours later, I WOULD STILL BE POSTING OBSCENITIES BUT THE COMMUNITY POLICIES OF THIS FORUM FORBID IT.

Ok. So. Now that y'all have been tormented by my excessive use of the all-caps key. I'll take a break. Needless to say, I think this decision suck big green smelly rancid boogers.

(Sorry. I'm a tad bitter.)

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    By the way, I strongly recommend you let runDisney know how you feel (via Twitter, FB, etc.). I think the part that really gets people is that people have already registered for Princess with the assumption of Tink... with plans to take family to Tink and sign up for the 5K... and that this completely puts your travel dates into turmoil--not to mention that people might not want to take their children out of school for a weekday for the 5K.

Not very good planning when they hooked people into the pink C2C medal and registration already happened for Princess.
    To Lani's point of letting runDisney know of the dissatisfaction in their Tinker event schedule, would it carry more weight if we went together as a group and drafted/sent a response to runDisney or just hit them with emails/FB postings on our own? We know they must monitor social media such as MP but a full-court press of those of us on Team MousePlanet couldn't hurt. Unfortunately I don't think they will change this year but the more it is pointed out the issues they have created, the more they will hopefully give better thought to planning 2015.

Thoughts?
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend

AdK- that's two school days for those who live out of town. Have to get your bibs Thursday.

People are free to express their displeasure to runDisney, but I would rather it not be done as an official statement under the MousePlanet name unless done by an officer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    People are free to express their displeasure to runDisney, but I would rather it not be done as an official statement under the MousePlanet name unless done by an officer.
    Oh no! I should have been clearer. Group as many of us but not under the MP banner (not my place to even suggest that one).
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

If you're an AP and plan on signing up for the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend of events, the AP site just turned over to Tinker Bell information. No link yet but it is set to go live at 9:00 a.m. PST / 12:00 p.m. EST today.

RunningFool

Just successfully registered via the DVC member link with the $10 discount. Kevin and I are both in for the half, cub 1 (will be 4) for the 200 meter dash and cub 2 (will be 2) for the 100 meter dash.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    If you're an AP and plan on signing up for the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend of events, the AP site just turned over to Tinker Bell information. No link yet but it is set to go live at 9:00 a.m. PST / 12:00 p.m. EST today.
    How do you get to this link? Is it through rD or AP site?
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe