Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Team MousePlanet: Rules of the Road: A runDisney Race Etiquette Guide

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Team MousePlanet: Rules of the Road: A runDisney Race Etiquette Guide

Rules of the Road: A runDisney Race Etiquette Guide by Lorree Tachell

Contributing writer Lorree Tachell provides a simple guide to improving everyone's runDisney race experience.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Wink Thank you.

This was just hilarious, in so many ways. Thanks!

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

Thanks Lorree...this was very informative and helpful!

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021

I've never really been a runner.. but we were down there in January and saw a lot of people sporting the medals and the shirts from the races, makes me want to try to get in shape enough to try a 5 or 10k sometime.. they look like they would be fun!

Wish we had this article before the Tinkerbell 10K fiasco of a month ago.
    Great article! Please keep on republishing this article before every major runDisney event!

Blog Entries

Nice article. Need to repost each race.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Nice article. Need to repost each race.
    I totally agree. It frustrates me to no end when people cannot obey simple etiquette. I hope reposting this will help, but sadly, I'm not sure that it will. Much of this same information is in the final race instructions that runDisney emails to every participant and it's also in the participant guide that every runner/walker gets in their goody bag.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have a saying in the world of learning and development:

Tell them, tell them what you told them, and then tell them again

If we reach just one more person who get's the message it's worth it.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Sure wish something like this had been posted before the Tinkerbell 10K. Maybe I wouldn't have a bag of related swag I am ashamed to wear! FWIW I did not feel that event was " newby friendly". The sweepers passed us yelling " coming through!" Not " pick up your pace" we had no idea we had been passed by "sweepers" and were now doomed to fail.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear View Post
    Sure wish something like this had been posted before the Tinkerbell 10K. Maybe I wouldn't have a bag of related swag I am ashamed to wear! FWIW I did not feel that event was " newby friendly". The sweepers passed us yelling " coming through!" Not " pick up your pace" we had no idea we had been passed by "sweepers" and were now doomed to fail.
    You were given this information in your event guide that is inside the bag when you get your shirt.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Team MousePlanet: Rules of the Road: A runDisney Race Etiquette Guide

We read through the booklet but this article spells it out much better. Still see nothing in either about sweepers being jerks on bikes shoving thru bottleneck knocking into runners

Maybe slightly off topic as RunDisney doesn't allow strollers, but still on the topic of etiquette and safety, what do you all think of races that require runners with strollers to start in the back? Kevin runs a 23-25 minute 5k (even with a stroller!) and it seems it would be safer for him to start with runners of his own pace, rather than weaving through a lot of walkers and slower runners. He's careful, of course, when he is made to start in the back with the stroller, just wanted to see if others had thoughts about this.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    Maybe slightly off topic as RunDisney doesn't allow strollers, but still on the topic of etiquette and safety, what do you all think of races that require runners with strollers to start in the back? Kevin runs a 23-25 minute 5k (even with a stroller!) and it seems it would be safer for him to start with runners of his own pace, rather than weaving through a lot of walkers and slower runners. He's careful, of course, when he is made to start in the back with the stroller, just wanted to see if others had thoughts about this.
    Do you mean the very back of ALL the runners or just the back of his "corral"? My first couple races were non-Disney, and I wasn't a fan of having strollers in the mix, so I'm glad Disney doesn't allow them. That being said, I think he should start in the back of the corral that matches his pace. If he runs the same pace with or without the stroller, then he shouldn't be penalized by being put in a slower corral. If he runs slower with the stroller, then he should be in the corral that matches that slower race. But I think that those who run the same pace as him shouldn't have his stroller as an obstacle they have to deal with, which won't be an issue if he's at the back of the corral.

As far as the article itself, I think it hits a lot of good points, but I also think it should clarify what applies only to half-marathons and marathons and what applies to all races. Specifically, the article mentions the ability to submit a previous race result to get a better corral placing. Well, that only applies to Disney half-marathons and marathons, not the 5K or 10K. I'd hate to have a newbie to Disney races trying to register for a 5K or 10K and madly looking and not finding the magic little button to be able to do that.

Also, I think it might be nice to clarify at the beginning that Disney does not time their 5K races, which is why there is no corral placement. I did my first Disney 5K at Tink and it surprised me when there was no corral placement and I wasn't aware that it wasn't timed. The official Disney literature might have said that, but I would probably have thought I was just missing something since the other non-Disney 5Ks that I had done were all timed.

And I agree that the article could be re-posted and distributed on Twitter and Facebook a week or so before each race, and maybe even a week or so before registration of big races, so that people know what to expect. Yes, it's only going to hit a certain segment of the population, but if word can be spread to some people, I still think it would help.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens
    Do you mean the very back of ALL the runners or just the back of his "corral"? My first couple races were non-Disney, and I wasn't a fan of having strollers in the mix, so I'm glad Disney doesn't allow them. That being said, I think he should start in the back of the corral that matches his pace. If he runs the same pace with or without the stroller, then he shouldn't be penalized by being put in a slower corral. If he runs slower with the stroller, then he should be in the corral that matches that slower race. But I think that those who run the same pace as him shouldn't have his stroller as an obstacle they have to deal with, which won't be an issue if he's at the back of the corral.
    The back of all the runners, including walkers. I agree, he should (and does) start at the back of his corral or pace group when he runs with the stroller, but we're running a race in the near future that says they will have a "stroller corral" that I presume is at the back of the entire race. Most races will request, if not enforce, that all strollers start in the very back. That seems to me to be more dangerous to have potentially fast stroller runners weaving through walkers. Kevin prefers to run without the stroller, but the kids aren't both big enough for "big kid" races (5ks and beyond) yet so sometimes it's the only option if we both want to run. But I agree that huge races like Disney are probably better to not allow them.

Also agree this article should be a sticky thread or re-posted before each race. I know I didn't know a lot of these things when I started running just over a year ago.
    Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

I do a fun run charity 5K each June. Last year an obviously pregnant woman pushing a stroller was near the front. Honestly, I thought, "shouldn't she be at the rear?" That thought quickly left me as she bolted off and was the first woman to cross the finish line. If your hubby has a doubt about where he should start he should ask the race director.

Blog Entries

After running the various events at the Princess this last weekend I've got a few new topics to add to the Rules of the Road list if we decide to publish it again:

Merging back on the road after stopping

What to do (and not to do) when spotting a photo op and you're on the 'wrong' side of the road

Stretching while walking (sudden arms flying = potential bloody nose)

Selfies

Anyone else have any topics that would make for good additions?

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    The Great Aloha Run in Honolulu allows strollers, but you have to register and self-identify as belonging to the Back of the Pack club. And you HAVE to stay in the back with walkers. You cannot weave into the runners. At all.

There are tremendous safety and liability issues with allowing strollers on a race course. I suspect it would cost considerably more to cover it with accident insurance, so I suspect race directors just say no as a general rule.

Seriously. Bumping people's feet and causing them to trip and fall, breaking bones. Or runners pushing strollers by mistake and spilling babies onto the asphalt, and then having runners trip over the babies?

I shudder to even consider the thought. Something like that would actually make the TV news. /scared
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

I wished I had this article on pamphlets to hand out during Princess! If I am walking practically against a wall on the right, why are speedsters trying to push past me?

But I've got to admit, as much as I tried to walk to the right, run to the left, sometimes I wasn't able to as I would have liked because the road was just too tightly packed, and SO many others were NOT following the rules!

I think whoever is responsible for transportation needs the "arrive early" reminder, and find a better way to make it possinble. I thought there was going to be a riot if one more full bus passed us without stopping. We were at the bus stop at 3:20, didn't get on a bus til 4:15, and traffic was so bad we had to hustle to get to our corral just as the wheelchair runners were starting!

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    After running the various events at the Princess this last weekend I've got a few new topics to add to the Rules of the Road list if we decide to publish it again:

Merging back on the road after stopping

What to do (and not to do) when spotting a photo op and you're on the 'wrong' side of the road

Stretching while walking (sudden arms flying = potential bloody nose)

Selfies

Anyone else have any topics that would make for good additions?
    How about "The cones are there for a reason"? (many seemed not to know that)

Or "the on-course photographers are trying to take action shots of all runners, don't stop and pose with your 5 friends"?

As for photo op on the other side of the road, I look at it like driving on the freeway, I look over my shoulder, try to merge, and if I don't make my exit in time, I have to take the next available exit and backtrack (off of the freeway, not into oncoming traffic) Is that what you would suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    The Great Aloha Run in Honolulu allows strollers, but you have to register and self-identify as belonging to the Back of the Pack club. And you HAVE to stay in the back with walkers. You cannot weave into the runners. At all.

There are tremendous safety and liability issues with allowing strollers on a race course. I suspect it would cost considerably more to cover it with accident insurance, so I suspect race directors just say no as a general rule.

Seriously. Bumping people's feet and causing them to trip and fall, breaking bones. Or runners pushing strollers by mistake and spilling babies onto the asphalt, and then having runners trip over the babies?
    It does make sense that if they are going to make strollers start in the back, that they should also attempt to keep them there. I've seen races with separate stroller divisions that start some time after the rest of the race (so presumably they wouldn't catch up to the crowd.)

As far as safety - I agree that strollers probably shouldn't be allowed in very large races. Our two kids are big enough that we don't strap them in most of the time (as in, to walk from Disneyland to DCA), but they absolutely 100% are buckled in tight whenever Kevin runs with them. He's as careful as he can be to not run into people, though a LOT of people like to just jump right in front of a large stroller and not realize that it can't stop on a dime (think cutting off a semi-truck.)

What I wonder is if the race directors think that strollers slow people down enough that it won't be an issue (that they won't catch up), or that most people pushing strollers are walking? I know it's a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    I do a fun run charity 5K each June. Last year an obviously pregnant woman pushing a stroller was near the front. Honestly, I thought, "shouldn't she be at the rear?" That thought quickly left me as she bolted off and was the first woman to cross the finish line.
    That is awesome!
    Jen

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One thing my local track club does is for anything I think longer than a 10K - walkers get a 1/2 hour head start. I've only done one long race with them - and it was GREAT! I was actually AT the starting line when the 'gun' went off - not 5000 people back (it was a small race, but no WAY I'd be AT the start line for a half normally)! There was maybe 2 dozen people that I started with, not all walkers, but some who knew they'd be slower, too. We were quite spread out by the time the fastest runners passed us, so they didn't have to weave their way around us or anything. (And the regular start was at 8, so it's not like I had to be there at 2 am or anything!

If they allowed strollers (I don't think they do) that'd be one way to handle them.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    I wished I had this article on pamphlets to hand out during Princess! If I am walking practically against a wall on the right, why are speedsters trying to push past me?

But I've got to admit, as much as I tried to walk to the right, run to the left, sometimes I wasn't able to as I would have liked because the road was just too tightly packed, and SO many others were NOT following the rules!

I think whoever is responsible for transportation needs the "arrive early" reminder, and find a better way to make it possinble. I thought there was going to be a riot if one more full bus passed us without stopping. We were at the bus stop at 3:20, didn't get on a bus til 4:15, and traffic was so bad we had to hustle to get to our corral just as the wheelchair runners were starting!

How about "The cones are there for a reason"? (many seemed not to know that)

Or "the on-course photographers are trying to take action shots of all runners, don't stop and pose with your 5 friends"?

As for photo op on the other side of the road, I look at it like driving on the freeway, I look over my shoulder, try to merge, and if I don't make my exit in time, I have to take the next available exit and backtrack (off of the freeway, not into oncoming traffic) Is that what you would suggest?
    Thank you - all great suggestions for additions! And yes, the photo op is exactly as I would suggest (I may borrow your freeway analogy if you don't mind). I can't tell you how many people I almost ran into (well, ran may not be the right word last weekend) when they did the "oh look, it's JACK SPARROW [name the character here]" sharp left turn across the entire roadway without looking.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    I do a fun run charity 5K each June. Last year an obviously pregnant woman pushing a stroller was near the front. Honestly, I thought, "shouldn't she be at the rear?" That thought quickly left me as she bolted off and was the first woman to cross the finish line. If your hubby has a doubt about where he should start he should ask the race director.
    Reminds me of the woman pushing twins who totally smoked my friend Howard and I as we were feeling rather smug and congratulating ourselves on the pace we were holding up a mile long hill at the Green Bluff Cherry Picker Trot. She was amazing.
    RunningFool