Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Marathon Weekend

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I lowered my intervals on my short run today and did just fine. I wasn't tired at the end, even with the shorter walking intervals. I'm going to lower them again next week for my short runs. I'm going to start lowering my long run intervals too on Friday. If I start to poop out, I can always back off. BUT, I'm feeling so great and very optimistic!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

I did 6.5 yesterday and felt so beat at the end, but recovered very quickly. The ice cold shower helped, I think. I wanted to wait to see how I felt today before I posted about it, but so far nothing worse than tired feet! I lowered my intervals to 3/1 walk/run and kept a great (for me) pace time until the last 1.5 miles. It was all up hill and I ran out of steam. I walked 90% of it. Still, even with the walking of the last 1.5 I stayed under 16 min/mi.
    I'm assuming that when I run my actual race on much flatter ground my pace will be even better and I won't poop out as quickly? Unfortunately there aren't very many places to run outdoors here that are not hilly. According to Runkeeper I climbed 500 feet during my run.
    Also, I took Jeff Galloways Half Marathon Training program and stretched it out beyond the 19 weeks. I'm on week 5 of his program, but I have more than 14 weeks left.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did you 'refuel' at all during your 6.5 miles? Maybe you just needed a little pick-me-up in the way of fuel? Something to think about, for sure!

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Did you 'refuel' at all during your 6.5 miles? Maybe you just needed a little pick-me-up in the way of fuel? Something to think about, for sure!
    I did. I used my Nathan belt and two of my containers had Gatorade in them and I used Jelly Belly Fueled Beans. I used one pack in total during my run/walk but perhaps I should have used more? I'll pick up some more when I go to the running store Wednesday. DH needs a supply of Shot Blocks for the DL Half on Sunday. OOoohhh! I can't wait for the Expo on Saturday!

Sometimes it just comes down to "some days are better than others." It could be what you ate that day or the day before too. What kind of fueling are you doing ahead of your workouts?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Sometimes it just comes down to "some days are better than others." It could be what you ate that day or the day before too. What kind of fueling are you doing ahead of your workouts?
    This is probably the reason. I didn't sleep well on Friday night (maybe 4.5 hours?) and I didn't drink enough water that evening either. I'm usually only drinking water the day before my long runs. Should I change that? I did have some of the jelly belly fueled beans about 10 minutes prior to my run and then about every 40 mins I'd pop two more in my mouth.

You only drink water ahead of your workouts? What do you drink the rest of the time?

When I said fueling above, what I meant was more along the lines of what is your diet like during the week. I'm not a believer in the no carb diet for runners. If you are putting in serious miles, you need to take in a balanced diet that includes carbs. I am not a nutritionist though, and people's needs can vary. You just might consider looking at some dietary info specific to endurance training to see if there are any changes you could make. I like Runner's World for that kind of info.

Blog Entries

I tend to follow the South Beach Diet eating plan (maintenance phase) and it does contain carbs. I get most of my carbs from beans and whole grain bread. I don't eat white bread, potatoes, rice, crackers, etc. The night before my long run I had grilled halibut, asparagus, tomatoes and risotto. I don't usually eat risotto, but thought it would be good for me for Saturday. I'll look into diet strategies. But, I do think I eat pretty healthy in general.

I do only drink water before my long runs. Actually, I mostly only drink water all of the time (other than my cup of morning coffee). I've cut diet soda down to 1 per week. On my workout days I'll drink a low calorie Gatorade.

I think a big reason I pooped out was that I moved up my intervals too much for this long run. The 3/1 walk/run is very manageable for my short workouts, but I was usually doing 6/1 on my longer workouts. I moved it to 3/1 for my last long one and maybe that's why I pooped out after 5 miles.

Force is strong in this one

Well, I'm really thinking about doing the Goofy this time around. Problem is that no one from here wants to do it with me now. I've also moved out of CA, so I can't meet up with the usual DL and MP folks that I see every few years or so. I might need to tag along with someone from this board for dinners and stuff and maybe for time at the parks

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

I'm not doing Goofy, but almost. It will be my first time doing two half marathons back-to-back. I'll be down with AVP and Mox, so maybe we can plan a meetup!

Blog Entries

I did 8 miles today. I took Jeff Galloway's suggestion for my intervals and scaled them back to 30:90 and it made a huge difference. He suggested this might be easier on my joints, and it was. My time wasn't great, but who cares, I made it and I wouldn't have gotten swept! I'm not injured and that's all that matters. I can't tell you how excited I am that I am really going to do this!

I am looking for a partner to do the Relay marathon. I would like to do the second half. I live in Orlando so I have done several half marathons at Disney. What fun! Hope to find someone soon. My time is 2:30.

Okay, it's official. I'm doing the Goofy in 2012! See you guys there!

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

I did 14 Miles yesterday. That is a new distance record for me. I can't believe that I am going to commit so much time to this Marathon! 2 hours yesterday of nothing but running! I think after this marathon, I will stick to relays and halves.

Here is a question for all you out there. If I run a Half Marathon in about 2 hours at 8,000 ft. elevation, How long do you think I would run a full at sea level? Maybe that is too complex, so if I run a half in just under 2 hours, what would be a reasonable finish time for a full marathon? I was think about a 4:30 or 4:15. Have I lost my marbles?

Blog Entries

Today was my long run day and I did 9 miles. Other than my legs being tired, I feel great. I changed my intervals to 30:80 and I did fine. I'm hoping to back them down again for my next long run.

My biggest challenge came from my route. We live at the top of a rather large hill so whichever way I chose to run when I leave my house, I will most certainly be running uphill on the way home, when I'm tired. I've chosen the most gradual incline of the routes I can choose from and the last 2.5 miles just kill me. I lose lots of time going up that hill. I guess it's good conditioning though, right?

I'm finally convinced that I will certainly cross that finish line without getting swept.

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    My biggest challenge came from my route. We live at the top of a rather large hill so whichever way I chose to run when I leave my house, I will most certainly be running uphill on the way home, when I'm tired. I've chosen the most gradual incline of the routes I can choose from and the last 2.5 miles just kill me. I lose lots of time going up that hill. I guess it's good conditioning though, right?
    As you probably know, Florida is very flat. Your training on the hills will provide you with a ton of strength to get through the last few miles of the race. Think about it, when you're finishing your training runs, it gets hard going uphill. When you finish the race, you'll be finishing on flat ground and you'll be thinking, "this is easy!"

The hard training now will definitely pay off in January!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    As you probably know, Florida is very flat. Your training on the hills will provide you with a ton of strength to get through the last few miles of the race. Think about it, when you're finishing your training runs, it gets hard going uphill. When you finish the race, you'll be finishing on flat ground and you'll be thinking, "this is easy!"

The hard training now will definitely pay off in January!
    Thank you SO much! That is what I'm hoping for!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    As you probably know, Florida is very flat. Your training on the hills will provide you with a ton of strength to get through the last few miles of the race.
    Two words: Overpasses suck.

You don't realize how badly until you're in the middle of them.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Two words: Overpasses suck.

You don't realize how badly until you're in the middle of them.
    Especially the cloverleaf approaches. You're going up a hill - PLUS it's tilted left to right! (That's what really did in my blisters!)
    Cathy

Blog Entries

The "hill" I climb to get home on my runs are far worse than an overpass. I hope that does me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Especially the cloverleaf approaches. You're going up a hill - PLUS it's tilted left to right! (That's what really did in my blisters!)
    Those are the most fun. You get to stick out your arms and pretend you're a plane making a turning move.
    Last edited by timl33; 09-30-2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Okay, maybe that's just me.

Blog Entries
    Those are the most fun. You get to stick out your arms and pretend you're a plane making a turning move.
    Actually, I may have done that for a little bit! And then I was saying bad words (in my head, even though everyone around me was probably saying them, too!) because the blasted thing never seemed to end!
    (And then I had a little panic when I was on top of the overpass and saw the road below devoid of racers - because the sweep van wasn't far behind me! Oh the joys of being a walker!)
    Cathy

Whoa!

Discounts for Disney Visa holders have ben released that apply over marathon weekend. The discounts will be available to the general public starting October 5, so don't wait too long to decide!

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar

AP discounts are also out! It's a slightly better savings over the General Public or Disney Visa discounts. I got 35% off and deluxe resorts are 40% off through 12/3. If you book after that the discount goes down slightly. Availability is limited so don't wait to long!

Blog Entries

Today was long run day again! I had the wort run of my life. It had nothing to do with the distance, but everything to do with conditions and interferences. I ended up battling my route with a group of cyclists for almost three miles of my run (I didn't know there was a race in the next town over) and I never got my groove back. I wanted to cry and quit several times, but I didn't. I still went fast enough to stay well ahead of the sweeper, but I lost SO much time during those three miles and I was never able to recover. Oh well, it's done, I finished and I'm not inured so I should count it as a success, right?