Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Disneyland Announces Ticket Price Increase

Quote Originally Posted by leota's necklace View Post
    Okay, I am as stunned as the next guy over the price increase, but I have to say the MLK comparison is out of hand.

I had parents who were born during the Depression. Dad worked hard to support us. Mom worked hard running the household on a strict budget. I grew up watching Disney every Sunday on ABC and Mouse Club reruns and got in on the ground floor of the MMC reboot in the seventies and was All About the Mouse, believe me. I had schoolmates that would go to Disneyland frequently. We went once. We saved up and planned the trip and went, once, when I was seven, and that was that.

There is nothing wrong with telling kids "we can't do that (insert non-essential item) because we can't afford it." Zero. I heard it plenty of times as a kid, and frankly, it made me better at budgeting and realizing true value. Disneyland is a luxury, and I grew up very well aware of that fact. Disneyland is not health insurance, it is not bread, it is not a warm safe place to sleep at night. You will not get polio if you don't go to Disneyland as a child. You will not grow up unable to support your own family if you cannot afford to go to Disneyland as a child.
    yes yes yes

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I agree. It didn't strike me as sarcasm. Being able to go to Disneyland cannot possibly be compared to segregation. What about all the commercials to "Come to the game" for whatever team plays in your area, or the commercials for Princess Cruises, or for Nike $200 sports shoes, or <list goes on>...

Kids learn what they are taught. If they are taught that they deserve everything they see on TV, it caters to the "MEMEME" society. As parents, sometimes we have to teach them they cannot have everything they see.
    makes me think of the birds from finding nemo "mine Mine Mine"

I agree. It didn't strike me as sarcasm. Being able to go to Disneyland cannot possibly be compared to segregation. What about all the commercials to "Come to the game" for whatever team plays in your area, or the commercials for Princess Cruises, or for Nike $200 sports shoes, or <list goes on>...

Kids learn what they are taught. If they are taught that they deserve everything they see on TV, it caters to the "MEMEME" society. As parents, sometimes we have to teach them they cannot have everything they see.
    And my oldest (10) and I just got discussing that APs wouldn't be worth it. It is sad that we can't go through with our plan, but she is realizing things like sports, trips, movies, etc. aren't cheap, especially for a family of 6. I have no problem telling the kids we don't have the money to do certain things at certain times.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a lot of the discussions here - both pro and con - are very interesting... and I will wonder when the line in the sand gets closer to some of the folks' price points - will they accept it then or will too be a voice that says "no fair"... it would be interesting to see and call out the flip flop (if it happens) at that time.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

hmm - i wonder as well that over time how will the events that are connected to Disneyland but outside events do with respect to attendance, etc. Grad nights, specials, local hotels, even Mouseadventure. It seems a lot of things that have been created over the years make the assumption that APs are prevalent, or at least visits can easily coincide with the events. The market and new business ideas were driven by the availability of passes. Surely with so many here espousing how attendance is a privilege and not a right this also means that it may be the two plus events held may see a decline - or at least this would be the one weekend trip to take. i.e. - there are lots of other things affected by the price increases than simply the direct gate receipts.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I will wonder when the line in the sand gets closer to some of the folks' price points - will they accept it then or will too be a voice that says "no fair"... it would be interesting to see and call out the flip flop (if it happens) at that time.
    I don't know that the word "fair" will ever come up in a conversation I have about my own personal decision whether to renew an AP, and this recent price increase DID yield a brief discussion about what to do with my husband's pass.

To me "fair" isn't an appropriate concept when evaluating Disney's prices on anything. Disney's prices are "fair" in the sense that they have the right to charge whatever they want. They are "fair" in the sense that everyone is charged the same for the same product or service, whatever that happens to be. I'm not forced to buy an AP, a sweatshirt or a churro - I may find the prices too high for me, but not "unfair."

My work with MousePlanet and on MouseAdventure pretty much dictate that I will have an AP, regardless of what they do to prices. I may be the *last* AP, but I'll have one as long as they continue to offer them. My husband, however, is a different story, and we did look at his usage pattern and our upcoming plans to determine if he should keep a Premier/Premium pass, or drop down to a Deluxe next year. We decided this time that it still makes sense for him to have the Premier AP, but that may change by the next price increase. If we decide that it's no longer the same value for him to keep that pass, it won't be an issue of "fair," it will be an issue of value to us.

I have friends currently trying to decide if they want to accept an invitation to Club 33. Personally, I look at the fees they face under the new structure and think there is no way that I can ever see myself in a financial position to justify that expense. Their situation is different. I don't think it's "unfair" that Disney has priced Club 33 out of my reach, and I don't think it's "unfair" that my friends could afford it where I definitely could not.

Look, I'm not HAPPY about this price increase, but I don't blame Disney for trying to maximize their earnings for what is clearly a hugely popular product. Sure, you could buy a Knott's, Universal, Sea World, Magic Mountain AND Legoland AP for the price of one Disneyland Premium pass. On the flip side, I don't think Knott's, Universal, Sea World, Magic Mountain and Legoland COMBINED have as many annual passholders as Disneyland. Clearly there's a value for hundreds of thousands of passholders.

Given the insane lines at Disneyland yesterday as people tried to buy or renew APs, the huge numbers that seemingly overwhelmed Disney's online ticketing system yesterday and the interest in ticket and AP vouchers at local grocery stores today (my local store had already sold out of the SoCal Pass this morning), there are a lot of people who still want to keep their APs. And while I know the argument will be "yes, but they're only willing to pay the old price," I'll just point out that a year ago hundreds of people were moaning about how Disneyland had priced them out with the latest price increase, and now those prices are the "lower" prices thousands were clamoring to lock in yesterday.

But yes, if I ever describe a Disneyland ticket price as "unfair," you can call me out.

Adrienne
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries
    a lot of the discussions here - both pro and con - are very interesting... and I will wonder when the line in the sand gets closer to some of the folks' price points - will they accept it then or will too be a voice that says "no fair"... it would be interesting to see and call out the flip flop (if it happens) at that time.
    Don't hold your breath for me. Despite growing up locally, I made three trips to Disney before high school graduation: a church trip; a visit using tickets we got as a gift; and once a friend took me along on her birthday visit. We didn't have much money and my dad couldn't see the point of amusement parks anyway.

I visited several times in college but not often; a couple visits were using "free" tickets from a CM friend.

I don't think my husband and I went but once the first ten years we were together; we were working and saving for our future.

We have more money now but we never bought passes until we moved to Orange County, at which point it seemed like a reasonable purchase. We are close by, we have friends with passes, guests expect to visit, etc. We only ever bought deluxe one time before converting to premium because those levels were the only ones that made sense to us and the way we like to visit.

If we get priced out, we'll find something else to do with our pass money and perhaps visit occasionally with regular media. And we'll be JUST FINE. Just like we were before we had passes.

Life isn't fair. If I was going to get twisted up over what's fair and what isn't, however, it would be for something a heck of a lot more important than a trip to Disneyland.

ETA Thoughtful post AVP!
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    To me "fair" isn't an appropriate concept when evaluating Disney's prices on anything. Disney's prices are "fair" in the sense that they have the right to charge whatever they want. They are "fair" in the sense that everyone is charged the same for the same product or service, whatever that happens to be. I'm not forced to buy an AP, a sweatshirt or a churro - I may find the prices too high for me, but not "unfair."
    and my post was intended as the summary of those who believe the pricing is (insert your replacement name for it her, including unfair) versus those who have the alternate position. Believe me - Disney does not "owe" me anything. However, be honest with us as consumers and paint the picture that it is - we charge what the market will bear. To me (since we're all talking about our opinions here) many times in the last couple of years the advertising and position moves to a must have and we're still here for you as entertainment - when in reality the line has moved and it's not for everyone. And for those that can still afford it - the "salt" in the comments are usually "those that can, do". Is it sour grapes? probably - but the divide grows and it becomes (at least in my world) part of the overall issue with economics these days. Too much of a tangent discussion so I'll stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    Life isn't fair. If I was going to get twisted up over what's fair and what isn't, however, it would be for something a heck of a lot more important than a trip to Disneyland.
    Cool. thanks for sharing. Different strokes.... and to me it's not just about "a" trip. But I'm me, and you're you, and each of us have our position.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    when in reality the line has moved and it's not for everyone. And for those that can still afford it - the "salt" in the comments are usually "those that can, do". Is it sour grapes? probably - but the divide grows and it becomes (at least in my world) part of the overall issue with economics these days.
    I really do "get it," and I used Club 33 as an example because that's really my closest corollary in the Disney world.

Given my own personal situation (no student loans, no kids, a spouse with a good job), it is not inconceivable that at some point in the next 10 years we might have found ourselves in a position to afford a Club 33 membership under the old pricing. It would not have been cheap or easy or maybe even prudent, but it's something we've discussed and considered. When they announced the wait list had reopened, we considered joining it, until we got a good look at the new prices.

There is no way, given my own personal situation and how I expect that to change in the next 10 years, that we'll now be able to afford the new Club 33 membership. It's just not going to happen, it's out of my reach. The line moved, and I'm on the "wrong" side of it. I'm definitely disappointed, but I don't consider it an issue of "fair."

Like many have posted, I grew up going to Disneyland once every year or two, often as part of a school group or summer camp outing. I strongly remember the day Disneyland raised one-day admission to $20, and my mom declared they had priced us out, that we weren't going back.

Now I go to Disneyland socially at least once every two weeks. Setting aside any visits I make for "work," I still use Disneyland far, far differently than any adult I knew growing up. The concept of an Annual Pass has changed the way many of us locals view and use Disneyland, and I don't know that Disney's pricing has been consistent with our actual usage.

The reality is that my parents could not have afforded to take me to Disneyland every two weeks when I was a child if they'd had to pay one-day prices every time. I doubt many of our parents could have. Yet now I have dozens of friends who can afford to do exactly that via the AP program, and the monthly payment plan opened that option to even more families who couldn't afford to buy their entire clan APs upfront, but could given the option to finance them.

Was Disneyland "unfair" to my parents given their pricing policies of the day? Were they "unfair" to my child-self, who was deprived of the opportunity to grow up at Disneyland like many of my friends' kids have? Were they "unfair" to families who couldn't afford the pass before the introduction of the monthly payment plan?

The product is different now, and we can't really compare apples to oranges. I think this price change will get many families to rethink the way they use Disneyland. Disneyland may once again become the once every year or two treat that most locals my age grew up with, and the once or twice in a lifetime trip for the rest of the country.

Adrienne
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Disneyland Announces Ticket Price Increase

Does anyone know if the teacher's discount tickets have been affected at all?

I jumped in and got the Ap at the last rate yesterday. It just made sense for our family this year as we have a few trips planned down to Dl . Short ones but add up to the PAP being better for us.

Now next year we have already decided to only have one of us with an PAP for the savings on hotel food, etc. Then the rest of the group on reg. ticket.

MY DD is so not happy about it ,she loves her ap pass. The new fee has slipped out of makes good sense reach for us, plus with her in 8th grade next year taking time off of school, is not as easy.

We farm so off season is the only time we can go. Esp with our schools increasing the # of days they go now. Sucks big time. only 8 weeks of summer break and we harvest then till end of Nov.

I'm sure there is a breaking point with a lot of family's, we'll see how this plays out in the parks.

We are talking other trips then DL for us now that the prices are getting to not be that good of a value for our vacation dollars.

Hawaii and other places have become more of a value for the buck thing for us.

I don't play the have and have not game. The decisions we have made in our own lives have determined that, not Disney or anyone else.

I think it stinks but I'm not the one putting my money on the line to keep a company and it's people going or employed. You do what you have to as a business if it means increasing a price that's what happens.

We forget all the regulations, taxes and fees that businesses pay in CA. Every time a fee, tax or reg. hits that cost goes to us the consumer. Plus park improvements and building costs. Better rooms and park mean higher fees.

It's not always fair , its not all ways fun, but it is what it is.

Believe me I did my share of whining for a while , but got over it. Made the choice to renew for this year and see where we stand next season.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    I tell my girls this all the time. Life is not fair and it's about choices. we choose to spend our entertainment budget at DL (and WDW). I know we are fortunate to be able to have AP's and to visit Disney as often as we do, this has not always been true for us. And there are other things we'd dont do, We dont go to the movies very often, for us as a family of 4 if we do dinner and a movie it can easily cost $100. While we dont like the price increase we're going to pay it as long as we can afford it.

ETA: well said Kat! i totally agree.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    edit...

The product is different now, and we can't really compare apples to oranges. I think this price change will get many families to rethink the way they use Disneyland. Disneyland may once again become the once every year or two treat that most locals my age grew up with, and the once or twice in a lifetime trip for the rest of the country.
    thanks for sharing. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

Blog Entries
    For us, each price increase, we have to decide "Is it worth it?" My answer might have been different back when I was buying 6. Now, I only really buy 2, as the older kids buy their own. My oldest son doesn't feel it is worth it to him, so he buys tickets as he goes (only once a year or so) whereas the other 2 maintain their own, and I still buy Youngest's. My brother will probably call it quits after this year. But he also prefers to spend his money traveling Europe, and plans a trip there next year. Every person has a certain amount of disposable income. It is up to each person to determine how to spend those dollars.

And if the price increase is too much, people will vote with their wallets, won't buy, and Disney will listen. I think many remember the 1park/2park AP fiasco.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    As a kid, I would usually go to Disneyland two-three times per year. Once with my family (where we packed our own sandwiches and went back to the car at lunchtime to eat them), and once or twice with some combination of summer camp, girl scouts, or church youth group. I never felt deprived and I certainly never stopped from having fun to reflect "Walk wanted this to be a park that I could be at with my parents." If anything, I was super-excited to be there with my friends.
    I was thinking about your comments and how your kid-experiences were different from mine, then I thought of Walt's dedication words, "To all that come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past ..." Perhaps I visited DL once or twice without my family, but the vast majority of the time I went it was *with* my family, and I think that is why it has been so thrilling for me to be able to bring my DD to DL and share the magic with her, simultaneously having my own memories of visiting with my parents as a child.

I was a military kid who moved every three years or so. Only a portion of my childhood was spent in San Diego, and while we were there I got to visit a lot, but only because of the generous military discounts that Disney offered. They had tickets back then, you could buy them in books to get a bit of a discount, but then had to make the tough decisions on how to "spend" them. The E-tickets were the best of course, and always went fast, lol. In hindsight, I think the books were a clever solution by Disney because there always seemed to be some A and B tickets left in the book (for the "baby rides", lol, which I love so dearly now), so a kid "could" ride one more ride if they really wanted to, and that might have taken a bit of the sting out of the fact that the E's and D's were all gone.

Then we moved to the East Coast and it was no more Disney for me, until we moved back to West Coast near the end of my high school years to the town of Arcadia . I got to do grad-night, and felt so lucky to be living in a vicinity that allowed me to have that opportunity, but I don't remember a lot of visits to DL during those years outside of that.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    If it is all about the little princesses, there are ways to get your kid to Disney for less, even if you don't get to go with them.
    Perhaps for locals, yes, but not everyone is a local.

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    You could actually GO to the park and not spend much money at all and not go on the rides ... IF they went back to a free gate and back to TICKET books ....what would an E ticket cost? My Dad and I went to the park when INDY opened and he got to see F! for the first time. He said to me at the time ...."Wow. What do you think something like that cost with all the actors and crew and electricity and special effects and fireworks.....
    Hubby and I live relatively near a theme-park that has a model similar to old DL: admission is free, but you have to buy tickets to ride the rides. And I really like it. For a family on a budget (which we are), it is really nice because parents can spend their money allowing the kids to ride the rides but the parents can still be there to supervise and to enjoy the atmosphere. And especially experience the joy that comes from seeing your kids having fun on a special day.

People say this isn't what Walt wanted, but do they really think if the prices were lower, the park crowds would be lighter? Can you imagine turnstile closures during the whole year? Walt was a business man. He knew and understood price points. He may have built the park for parents to enjoy with their kids, but he never did it for free. He did it with profits in mind.
    The park is more enjoyable when there are fewer bodies inside.

But that is only if you are actually able to afford to get through the gates. If you cannot get in, your enjoyment pretty much drops to zero.

There are many fine experiences that I have never had, because I am not wealthy. I have never spent time on a private island, or gone helicopter skiing in Europe, owned my own yacht and toured the Mediterranean with it, etc. Do I feel sorry for myself? No. If I actually had the money to do many of these things, I don't believe that I would spend it that way anyway.

Disneyland seems to be on the road of becoming an awesome experience for the 1%ers, because the bean-counters who value $$$ above all else think that is a prudent business decision for them to make. It is Disney's right to run the company however they wish. But it's my right to feel sad about what they seem to be doing. They are changing their brand, taking experiences out of the realm of "most kids" and into the realm of "only the privileged few".

According to the PR, "Disneyland really began when my two daughters were very young. Saturday was always "Daddy's Day" and I would take them to the merry-go-round and sit on a bench eating peanuts, while they rode. And sitting there alone, I felt that something should be built, some kind of family park where parents and children could have fun together."

Note that he didn't say "I was comparing the ROI on a number of different schemes that were burning in the back of my head, and realized that the potential profit of this scheme was HUGE, I tell you, HUGE, and so decided to abandon the others and move forward with this one.

BTW, while searching for Walt's "Disneyland really began ..." quote, I came across this one:

"Disneyland is not just another amusement park. It's unique, and I want it kept that way. Besides, you don't work for a dollar - you work to create and have fun." —Walt Disney

http://www.disneydispatch.com/conten...otable-disney/
    "History has lost count of how many times Walt brought his company to the edge of ruin just so that he could ‘plus’ something. At times it would involve something as monumental as Snow White, or be as little as changing the color of a ride vehicle. Money was no object if spending it (even if he didn’t have it to spend) meant elevating a good thing to a great thing!

... I’ve said in other articles that I don’t believe that Walt would, or could, survive in today’s corporate world. The age of dreamers may not be dead. Big things are still being created, but by a process so far removed from the Walt Disney model as to be almost unrecognizable."

So, I respectfully disagree with you, Malcon10t. I don't think he did everything with profits in mind. I think Walt was a dreamer who got lucky, God bless him, and was actually not quite so good about the business side of things.

Well said, olegc. If one can afford the entrance price, regardless of how high Disney raises it, then higher prices are actually a benefit to you ... fewer bodies in the park increases the quality of your own experience, and the experience itself becomes more prestigious (like helicopter skiing). It's rather nice to keep all the riff-Raff out.

But the world looks a bit different when you are on the "other side of the line", and were already doing what you could do to scrimp and save the money for a trip, and realize that a trip to DL is something you may never be able to do again. You'll live, of course, and so will your kids. But it's still sad. And note that I'm not saying that it's unfair (BTW, did anyone on this thread actually say that?) as Disney has the right to run its company however they want. Just that it's sad. Perhaps one can only truly see that when one is closer to that mythical line in the sand.

Blog Entries

Tink Lover - you said it I guess better than I did. This is right there with my position as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink Lover View Post
    But that is only if you are actually able to afford to get through the gates. If you cannot get in, your enjoyment pretty much drops to zero.
    I think what many are complaining about is the increase in ANNUAL passes, not day guests. A 3 day or 5 day 1 park ticket increased by 5%. Annual passes increased by 35%. Big difference.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

For everyone who says Walt was not a business man here is a quote from an article earlier this week by Jim Korkis, staff writer,

“Most people credit Roy Disney with being the money man, but Walt understood the numbers when we presented them. Walt had a consummate grasp of the financial situation.” — Harrison “Buzz” Price, researcher (1995)
    I think this says a lot that most don’t know or don’t want to know

Last edited by ALB2277; 05-20-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling

I think what many are complaining about is the increase in ANNUAL passes, not day guests. A 3 day or 5 day 1 park ticket increased by 5%. Annual passes increased by 35%. Big difference.
    I'm trying to figure out how your comment relates to mine.

Yes, a lot of the discussion has been about AP increases, which varied between 13% and 35%, depending on the AP. I know that in the past a lot of regular-Joe folks have crunched the numbers, and decided to buy the AP's because they "saved them money". As the cost of APs goes up, regular-Joe type folks will no longer be able to buy the AP's. My comment, "But that is only if you are actually able to afford to get through the gates. If you cannot get in, your enjoyment pretty much drops to zero." remains relevant, even in this case. Unless some folks actually enjoy being priced out of AP's, which if true, I would like to better understand. I myself have never owned one.

Being priced out of APs does not render you ineligible to visit the parks, true. It just means you become a day guest. But according to the OP, the cost of day guest passes increased between 4% and 20% depending on the option. The 1-park per day passes increased between 4% and 9%, while the parkhopper passes increased between 9% to 20%. Such increases are not insignificant, especially for non-locals who must pay for transportation and lodging in addition to the park tickets. Combine these increases with the ones coming next year, and the one after that, and the writing is pretty much on the wall. Increasing numbers of people are being priced out.

I did it!!!!!
    I went to the grocery store and got the annual passes for $499!!!!!They don't have to be activated until 12/31 so get out to the stores and keep your DL dreams alive!!!

Closer to the Mouse once again, but not close enough!

Quote Originally Posted by jrsharp21 View Post
    Does anyone know if the teacher's discount tickets have been affected at all?

I looked after the announcement, but the AP's listed there said they had to be activated by May 31, so I would imagine their prices will go up by the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I looked after the announcement, but the AP's listed there said they had to be activated by May 31, so I would imagine their prices will go up by the end of the month.
    My local school district has a buying program with Disney, which I just discovered last week, and the new prices are already in effect. I'm glad I will be able to get a small discount, though!

I am quite shocked by this increase. My family has gone to Disneyland every year since my wife and I Married 5 years ago. Disneyland was the one place that we were able to truly escape. I am a huge Disney enthusiast and we have DAP that will expire in November. We can no longer justify to go to Disneyland after this huge price increase. It shocks me how much the price has gone up in the last 2 years. Disneyland was supposed to be a place that was affordable for families to go to, and create memories. Now I fear that this will discourage many families from ever being able to visit the parks again, especially in this terrible economy.

Let’s look at this when you have a low price for an AP = then there are more people in the park more = people in the park = more cast members needed to run the park = more cast members in the park = higher pay roll higher pay roll = less profits and Disney is a business not a nonprofit charity.

Our family is going to have to let our passes expire in October. The price increase is outrageous. I am going to email Disney about this. It seems they have just outpriced the barely middle class which our family is. Extremely dissapointed and sad

Living life to the fullest

http://www.oilyhabit.com/