Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes in Guest Assistance Pass for Disabled?

I read the micechat write up. I too have concerns both for my family and for others.

Our situation: DD has right sided Cerebral Palsy (hemiparesis). She's made huge strides since age 2 when we got a Dx, but still in the "extreme" activities of life, her deficits of strength and balance and coordination show. We are at the point where a single day, gone slowly, with my hubby with us probably wouldn't need any special help. That's because at the end of the day, dad could carry her the 1/2 mile walk to the car. I can't. So usually with these types of events (walking all day for a long time and long distances) we bring her adaptive stroller. More than 1 day? Not happening, her stroller helps her greatly. She has a brace she wears on her right leg as well.

Bottomline, we don't "need" a GAC... kinda. I say "kinda" because we don't need the GAC *IF* the cast members follow Disney's guidelines. The GAC allows us to take our stroller in line *IN DCA*, this doesn't really apply at most attractions in Disneyland because they don't allow it. So I HOPE they aren't going to be argumentative with us about her stroller. Question- will they be *finally* implementing the stroller tag as they do in WDW? That was great when we used it in WDW.

Her leg brace is considered a "walking assistant device". Only you can't see it if she's wearing pants. So, are we going to be questioned and does she have to stop and visibility point out her disability each time we enter a disabled entrance? I *seriously* *hope* *not*. And if we were still advised to get a DAS pass, that would be exceptionally obnoxious to walk to and from one of four kiosks JUST for permission to use the disabled entrance.

For others, who need to use the alternative entrances or whatever their issues may be- esp those with children, this may be a big PITB if folks are expected to continually return to kiosks throughout the day. More walking from here and there and more distance, even potentially more waiting in lines to GET your return time, it is cumbersome, this IS NOT the way the system works at U/S (refering to the micechat article), it's PART OF the way it CAN work. U/S worked pretty similarly to the GAC.

Oh and those who rent wheelchairs and abuse the system will still be doing so.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

2. # ADS

WDW issue: They have the "sun" stamp. So, um, *if* the micechat write up is right (which is might not be) and you have sun sensitive folks, are they going to be exposed to more heat/sun in their attempt to avoid it?

1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani

It is so very frustrating that the media continues to get just about everything wrong what the GAC program is, what it does, etc etc etc. I am glad MP is going to give us the real scoop.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/dis...tml?nopharma=1

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddi View Post
    It is so very frustrating that the media continues to get just about everything wrong what the GAC program is, what it does, etc etc etc.
    This is the echo chamber I wrote about. Some news sites and bloggers have picked up on the one or two reports online, and are just parroting the same "facts" over and over, with the details becoming more dire and dramatic in each retelling.

I'm not advocating for Disney in this. I'm advocating for patience until we know what the new policy really means for visitors with disabilities.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

The one thing I read that gives me hope is that the powers that be did at least consult with the Autism folks, we still might agree with the policy but at least it sounds like they really want to accommodate those who need it 'most' other than the wish kids of course.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

I thought the most accurate part of AVP's article was that people who want to "fix" the program interpret it to mean excluding every group but theirs. This does seem to be consensus that the current system is broken, but the thought of making changes that might negatively impact them has many people screaming.

I was very happy to hear that the autism speaks group was consulted. While I think that group has become a bit politicized, hopefully their opinions were listened to and taken into account. I know me hearing that definitely made me think that a lot of people need to put down the pitchforks until the final details are disclosed.

I think that it's hard to find a happy balance when there are so many different personalities in play. Even with two families with "identical*" disabilities, one may be happy that their kid has progressed to not needing a GAC, while another believes that they are entitled to it because life is difficult enough with a disability. There are plenty of people out there who probably qualify for a current GAC and don't get one out of ignorance or pride and enough or more others who may not need one but know the right buzzwords and demand one anyway. It's beyond the power of a cast member to do anything other than act in accordance with the information provided to them.

From what I've read of the new system, the only part I don't entirely like is having the qualified individual go to a set location to get the return time. I would much prefer that anyone in the group could act as runner so that the person could be kept away from an area with a beloved ride until it was time to ride. That could be easily fixed by allowing anyone in a group to get the return time, or allowing any of the stations to give out return times. It is also something that can be started as rumored and changed based on results and feedback.

*Yes, I know that there is no such thing as identical disabilities, but there are definitely differences in how they are perceived/treated in different families.

This article will do nothing to help. The headline alone.....

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-the-line?lite

ok I've seen multiple stories with that type of a headline, anyone who has used the GAC knows that you do NOT Skip lines, you simply have a line in a different spot...so it's my wondering if there's a goal behind the big headlines of no more skipping and no more FoTL passes to get the word out to the would be cheats that that it's pointless to bother to try and cheat and a waste of money to pay someone who says they can assist you in skipping those lines?

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    ok I've seen multiple stories with that type of a headline, anyone who has used the GAC knows that you do NOT Skip lines, you simply have a line in a different spot...so it's my wondering if there's a goal behind the big headlines of no more skipping and no more FoTL passes to get the word out to the would be cheats that that it's pointless to bother to try and cheat and a waste of money to pay someone who says they can assist you in skipping those lines?
    It certainly does make you wonder, doesn't it? Hopefully it will dissuade some of the cheaters, but then again, there are those folks who come in and start looting right after a tragedy. Some folks just don't have souls!

I hope this system proves to be a boon for everyone:the CM's, guests, and those needing the pass. Crossed fingers that it foils the cheats in the world.

It's my prayer that everyone who honestly needs the accommodation has grace and patience with the poor front line guest relations Cast Members as they try to do the task given to them by the higher ups. All 'new' programs have growing pains, I'm majorly reassured by reading that they discussed things with Autism Speaks and I have faith that Disney really does want to provide the best experience for the disabled guests they possibly can while maintaining the integrity of the program. Are we going to LOVE the new system as it rolls out...maybe not, but I do believe that they'll be evaluating it and asking for input thru surveys and stuff and will tweak it here and there until it provides both reasonable accommodation and does what they can to slow down the abuse. There are too many unknowns to let it get my blood pressure sky rocketing before the 9th.

New GAC policy

I just saw this article and thought some might find it interesting. I hope it weeds out some of the people abusing the system and perhaps make it a better experience for those that truly require it.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/travel...html?hpt=hp_t2

Ok, this usually goes unsaid, because I suspect that people are trying not to encourage GAC cheaters, but I'm going to say it.

In my experience, if you do not need to transfer from a wheelchair or ECV, it is an (almost) immediate front of the line pass on most attractions. No, you can't just walk in the exit of Space Mountain and get right on the ride. But you can on pretty much every Fantasyland ride. I've had my feather taken away at Dumbo when a family walked up with a GAC, so it really is that immediate.

The real problem with GAC abuse is that the people who abuse it will find the shortest avenue to any ride, because they need no accommodation. So they'll get a FP for Space Mountain, and they'll go in the regular line on Pirates and they'll use the GAC to get right on the things they can, like Toy Story Midway Mania. Yes it's deplorable, this is how Disney is trying to stop it. Let's see how it works...

We are going to have to agree to disagree here, my daughter has used the GAC and before that the SAP and I'm sure we'll be using the new system as well and I'm not so sure when you've gone to fantasyland with someone with a GAC but just walk thru and look at the wait for Peter Pan, there is always a line, and they don't load/unload reload GAC/wheelchair guests while ignoring the guest in the 'standby' lines. I'm not saying you didn't have a bad experience on dumbo but we have waited multiple cycles for a feather when we were the next HCA group with a GAC at the exit, and that is the standard not the exception. The ONLY ride in Fantasyland that seemed to be quick is the carousel if you need the ramp to load, if there aren't any guests using it ahead of you most of the time the CM in charge will load your group on the next cycle since the attraction stops at the exact same spot every cycle. Pirates, the wait is often longer than standby, you mentioned Space mountain, even with a fast pass there is a wait if you need to use the HCA loading area. Like I said, I'm really sorry that you had the experience at Dumbo but in all my trips I have never seen that happen. There might be times when you hit a window of shorter waits but those are the exception to the rule.

Toy Story has exceptions but for the most part you are in the regular line.

Blog Entries
    I'm not saying you didn't have a bad experience on dumbo but we have waited multiple cycles for a feather when we were the next HCA group with a GAC at the exit, and that is the standard not the exception.
    This has been our experience also. My guess is the poster may have witnessed a Make A Wish trip.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Oh you know what Mal, I'm sure you're right, heck WE were next to load at iasw one trip when we got 'bumped' for another group I saw the mom putting their card away and she apologized, I told her she had NOTHING to apologize for, we had the luxury of time, their family might not. I never thought about it being a wish group but I have seen them 'bump' other guest to board the wish kids, I don't know about anyone else but I dare anyone to say to me those kids and their families don't deserve instant access, I pray to God every night and thank him that we don't need that level of accommodation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    GAC to get right on the things they can, like Toy Story Midway Mania.
    On Toy Story you wait in the standard queue til you get to the load area, then get moved to the HA side to wait our turn for the ride vehicle.

If you are looking at the ramp up by the loading area, VIP tours use this to expedite their guests. They do get immediate boarding. MAW also goes there.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    On Toy Story you wait in the standard queue til you get to the load area, then get moved to the HA side to wait our turn for the ride vehicle.

If you are looking at the ramp up by the loading area, VIP tours use this to expedite their guests. They do get immediate boarding. MAW also goes there.
    Toy Story is now no longer blocked for people who are given readmit passes for a variety of issues. We received one when California Screamin' was closed and the cast members were engaging people in Disney Trivia. We have also been given readmit passes when rides break down. I used to think that the Toy Story shortcut line was being abused by non MAW disabled guests but I'm no longer able to judge why a person is in the shorter line.

I really like that most/all of DCA is wheelchair accessible. I do hope that the corollary rumor that DL will be remodeled to become more accessible is true as that will alleviate some of the issues (though most rides can still only load so many wheelchairs per cycle so I'm not quite sure how that part will work).

I rode Peter Pan about 3 weeks ago. They were putting someone from the HA line in every third ship. I know because the kid in front of me was obsessed with getting a blue sail, and it threw off his counting. When I exited the ride there were 4 ships worth of people waiting. Still beats the 40 minutes in the regular queue.

As for Dumbo, I don't believe it was a MAW family (no plaid), I've just seen GAC users get waved through right away at Casey, Storybook and Dumbo. Maybe it's CM preference or trying to avoid a confrontation (which I've also witnessed on Casey.) as for TSMM, they are not accompanied by plaids, I've seen people flash a GAC and be sorted right away. Luigi's is another where certain GACs walk right up and get a triangle right away after showing a GAC. Once on Luigi I was in front of a woman in a wheelchair who complained the entire hour we were in line. But she really lost it when we got to the front and 3 parties with GAC came right through. And yes, I know what a GAC looks like and no, they were not with a plaid.

Another difference is I tend to go to the parks mid-week and not during summer or holidays, when wait times are lower and CMs may be more lax about just ushering parties through when they can.

Anyway, not to belabor the point, but there are people who have figured out the magic words they need to say to get the right stamps, and those are the people who are loudly protesting all over the Internet now that they fear their loophole is closing. The guests who need the type of accommodations that don't require skipping otherwise accessible queues or waiting in alternate areas aren't who I'm referring to. They're just the ones driving the rumors right now.

This system is used currently at Tokyo Disney, in a lower tech fashion, and I had to use it during one of the days I visited. It actually was really great. We received a card from a CM, they filled out the attraction name, wait time, and time to come back. We were able to walk around and explore the park and come back to ride the ride with no waiting. Now, there were much less people needing assistance in Tokyo Disney then in the US, but I really thought it was a better system.

Kungaloosh!

I rode Peter Pan about 3 weeks ago. They were putting someone from the HA line in every third ship. I know because the kid in front of me was obsessed with getting a blue sail, and it threw off his counting. When I exited the ride there were 4 ships worth of people waiting. Still beats the 40 minutes in the regular queue.
    Again, you may be correct regarding your experiences, but even without plaids, GAC users are not the only guests who use the alternate entrances. I have also done the alternative entrance for Peter Pan with a re-admit card. We waited with everyone else in that line for around 20 minutes, which while shorter than the regular line was not immediate access. In that instance, we were with a kid who had been mildly traumatized after having to walk-off Pirates of the Caribbean.

We were a party of 5 and needed 2 ships, so we were put pretty close to each other. Our boarding did not have to be delayed because no one in our group had disabilities or needed assistance loading/unloading or evacuating in the event of an emergency. But we were delayed in boarding to the extent that the groups ahead of us needed to be staggered. Every 3rd car sounds more like non-disabled guests or a tour group than GAC users.

Blog Entries
    As for Dumbo, I don't believe it was a MAW family (no plaid),
    MAW don't have plaids generally. (They usually have one for the first 4 hours in the park to show them around, but the rest of their 3-5 day trip is "Plaidless".) They have a card with a special stamp on it.

I think too many people get so busy judging other people, they lose the fun of their vacation.

Last September, about this time, I helped arrange my own version of a Make A Wish trip for a CHP officer (and his family) who was dying from cancer. A radio station provided them airfare and accommodations at the Grand Californian. I worked with the local Explorer post to arrange baskets in the room for the girls (9 and 7) and the officer and his wife. His "area" held a fund raiser to raise money to help with expenses from the trip (and his medical expenses.) This was something everyone worked on for 8 months until he was well enough to actually make the trip. I arranged for him to have a VIP tour on their first day, and the guide, after meeting him, helped arrange a GAC for his needs. While he appeared "normal", he was far from it. But he wanted a trip with his girls that they would remember. With help from a lot of people, he got it. He called me after the trip to tell me how absolutely amazing the trip was, and how well Disney treated his family.

If you had seen him boarding Dumbo/Peter Pan, you'd have thought he knew the right buzz words. The fact was Chemo had made his body so weak. I am so glad he was able to make this trip, and give his girls that memory. They will always remember their last trip with their dad. He passed away 7 mos later at the age of 43.

For me, it just showed you really don't know what is going on with the person with a card in their hand. Could they be abusing? Maybe, but for me, it's not my job to decide. I don't know what they have been through or what is wrong with them. If I have to deal with abusers so that people like the officer I mentioned, or Missy, or others like them can get accommodations they need, so be it.
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 09-23-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    MAW don't have plaids generally. (They usually have one for the first 4 hours in the park to show them around, but the rest of their 3-5 day trip is "Plaidless".) They have a card with a special stamp on it.

I think too many people get so busy judging other people, they lose the fun of their vacation.

Last September, about this time, I helped arrange my own version of a Make A Wish trip for a CHP officer (and his family) who was dying from cancer. A radio station provided them airfare and accommodations at the Grand Californian. I worked with the local Explorer post to arrange baskets in the room for the girls (9 and 7) and the officer and his wife. His "area" held a fund raiser to raise money to help with expenses from the trip (and his medical expenses.) This was something everyone worked on for 8 months until he was well enough to actually make the trip. I arranged for him to have a VIP tour on their first day, and the guide, after meeting him, helped arrange a GAC for his needs. While he appeared "normal", he was far from it. But he wanted a trip with his girls that they would remember. With help from a lot of people, he got it. He called me after the trip to tell me how absolutely amazing the trip was, and how well Disney treated his family.

If you had seen him boarding Dumbo/Peter Pan, you'd have thought he knew the right buzz words. The fact was Chemo had made his body so weak. I am so glad he was able to make this trip, and give his girls that memory. They will always remember their last trip with their dad. He passed away 7 mos later at the age of 43.

For me, it just showed you really don't know what is going on with the person with a card in their hand. Could they be abusing? Maybe, but for me, it's not my job to decide. I don't know what they have been through or what is wrong with them. If I have to deal with abusers so that people like the officer I mentioned, or Missy, or others like them can get accommodations they need, so be it.
    Bless you for what you did for his family and x googleplex to your last paragraph.
    "Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress." -Gandhi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraTD View Post
    Bless you for what you did for his family and x googleplex to your last paragraph.
    Laura - Didn't you get to use the alternative entrance for Peter Pan on your last trip (for a readmit)? I seem to remember reading your thoughts... Maybe you could share?

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tlovesdis View Post
    I just think that getting overly upset about something that is not even implimented yet is not good! The information hasn't even come from Disney itself, only from a few "sources". And any new system is going to have it's hiccups!!!
    This is what has me most upset--the "oh no--the sky is falling" attitude without even giving the new program a chance --- and then all the articles that say "no, we are not acting entitled because we don't want the program to change"---um, yes you ARE acting entitled. There is a problem that needs to be fixed and you need to help fix that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by menicksmom View Post
    I always provide documentation (though they never ask for it and really don't even look at it). I am glad to offer it to "prove" a disability. Am I wrong to think they should ask for it? I'm sure it violates some laws, but I don't think it should. Maybe I'm off base???? Or not thinking of something???
    As MS pointed out, it does violate a law--the sad part is that most of the disabled people I know--including myself--would have NO problem showing proof of disability but legally Disney can't ask for or even accept it if it is offered.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    I'm not advocating for Disney in this. I'm advocating for patience until we know what the new policy really means for visitors with disabilities.

AVP
    Amen.
    "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson