Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: French Quarter or Coronado Springs for 1st trip?

French Quarter or Coronado Springs for 1st trip?

I think I've overthought this! After much reading, on information overload. I've looked at zillions of pictures, still not sure! Help us decide! FIRST DISNEY TRIP as adults! Oct 2012 for 8 days. Me, DH and our 2 boys (ages 18mo and 5). The things I *think* are important about each resort below, not sure what's true for the time of year we're going. Problem is, I'm not sure these are really important things or if they'll really matter once we're there. Can't seem to find anywhere if either pool has a baby pool for 18mo old or if it has the sloped pool entrance rather than stairs. Anyone? Any other major things to consider? Size of resort not super important, but I know that affects a lot of things like food court size, distance from main area, etc.

CS
    pros: bigger food court, bigger pool, decor online looks more our style, sand "beach" play area for 18mo, waterslide seems bigger/better
    cons: buses can be crowded, 1 sink, rooms can be far away b/c of resort size (but can you request a number bldg and actually GET it?)

FQ
    pros: smaller resort, almost all rooms good location, less crowded bus (but is it really since shared w/ POR?), 2 sinks
    cons: smaller food court, smaller pool (but might that be good?)

2. # ADS

We've never stayed at POFQ, but we stayed at CS last month. The resort is beautiful and my kids (5 and 10) loved the pool and slide. There is a kiddie pool.

We were in a fairly convenient location, and it was still a bit of a hike to the main building and an even longer walk to the pool. It wasn't an issue for us, but I could see it being an issue for young kids at the end of a long day.

The restaurants were fine but not great. We did not try the TS restaurant because it doesn't get very good reviews, and the service at the CS restaurants, including the pool bar, was incredibly slow. DH waited close to an hour for a pizza at Cafe Rix one night, and there were only 4 people in front of him when he got in line (by the time he left, the line was out the door and down the hall). Another time it took around 20 minutes to get a drink at the pool bar when there was no line. These are 2 specific example I remember to give you an idea of what I'm talking about; the service was very slow at every single meal. I've never read bad reviews by others about the service, though, so you may not have the same experience. The food was pretty good and there was a decent variety.

I've driven myself crazy trying to decide on a resort before, and in the end was always happy with whatever Disney property we chose. We've stayed at all the values; all the moderates except for POFQ; and the Poly, Contemporary, and AKL. While the deluxe resorts are amazing and unique, I've never noticed much of a difference when comparing the values or moderates to each other besides the theming. I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever one you choose.

I'd recommend CSR in a heartbeat! Besides having a great main pool area, CSR also offers many deluxe amenities at a mod price.

CSR has queen beds and the rooms have been recently renovated and are gorgeous. The rooms also have a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room instead of a privacy curtain like the other mods (can be good for little ones napping in a pack n play).

Amenities include a fitness center, spa, free wi-fi, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club.

The resort offers the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don't have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide and playground area is great and all located in one area at the main pool.

Bus service is terrific and is not shared with another resort.

I much perfer POFQ over all the other Mods and my least favorite of the Mods is CSR. For me POFQ has tranquil relaxed feel to it.

The food court at POFQ is quick and easy to work with. I like that its close to the bus stop, pool and more often than not my room so I can pop in to quickly fill a drink cup or feed a child. It also has no added in gratuity charge for someone to tell me where to sit and bring me a drink. You still have to go to the food pods to order and pick up your food at CSR but they charge you a 10% gratuity. While 10% is cheap its more the principle of being told that there is a mandatory gratuity when these people do very little. I worked my way through college making tips. I know what its like to live off tips so more often than not I usually over tip in situations where custom lends itself to leaving gratuities. I realize this is a personal grip but this is one place I avoid because I feel this system is wrong. I much prefer the system in every other food court on property. This one issue drives me crazy at CSR! If you want another option for dining at POFQ you can take a nice stroll over to Riverside or hop on the bus or boat. We also love taking the relaxing boat ride over to DTD to decompress from the parks and often do dinners at DTD.

You can also use the pools at Riverside as well as the POFQ pool. POFQ does have a kiddie pool right next to the main pool. When my children were younger they loved this kiddie pool and very much enjoyed the resort playground here which is located right between the pool and food court. The entire resort is smaller and easy to navigate and yet with its dcor and courtyards you never feel as if youre crammed into a small space.

There is no gym or spa but honestly the gym is the last place Ill see on any vacation with the children in tow. Besides with the amount of walking we do in the parks I dont feel guilty blowing this off while at WDW. If I really wanted a spa treatment I would just pop over to one of the other WDW resorts that had a spa. I have done spa treatments on lots of other vacation but have never wanted to at WDW. Again, this is a personal thing and if its of importance to you may want to do CSR.

For us CSR has more of a business feel than any of the other Disney owned resorts have. Personally, thats the last feel I want on vacation. However, CSR does have some perks that Buzz mentioned above. Every family is different and really only your family knows which type of resort fits you guys best.

Either way youre at WDW and bound to have a fabulous vacation.

Mily

I'm with mxrapu:

....I've driven myself crazy trying to decide on a resort before, and in the end was always happy with whatever Disney property we chose. We've stayed at all the values; all the moderates except for POFQ; and the Poly, Contemporary, and AKL. While the deluxe resorts are amazing and unique, I've never noticed much of a difference when comparing the values or moderates to each other besides the theming. I'm sure you'll have a great time whichever one you choose.
    Given the ages of your kids, I'd choose POFQ. It's a much smaller resort - just a few minutes to walk anywhere in the resort. The buses are sometimes shared with POR (4 stops) - mostly at less busy times of the day. Busy times (first thing in the morning, for example) the buses go straight to the parks. And yes, CSR has a dedicated bus, but the bus loops around the resort, making 4 stops.

So if you are coming back from the park with hungry and tired kids, at least at POFQ, you will all get off at the same stop, your DH can help you set up the stroller and with the food stop nearby, you can go to the room with the younger one, while the older son can help Daddy get some food to bring back to the room. You can't do this at CSR if the food is at one stop and your room at the other end of this large resort and if you get a room near the main stop, you will pay more $$ for the privilege of being in close.

POFQ now has Queen beds in all the rooms and has within the last year been refurbished. It also has free wi-fi and a slide in the pool and a playground. POFQ doesn't have some of the amenities that CSR does (fitness center, spa,tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club - all costing extra $$) but with 2 young children to be looked after, either you or your DH will be enjoying those amenities alone anyway.

Guests staying at POFQ can use any of POR's amenities (pools, etc) and there is boat service between the 2 resorts as well as Downtown Disney.

Lastly, for the amenities and features of a resort that your family will use, compare the $$ of POFQ and CSR. POFQ will be less expensive for the features your family will use.
    Last edited by Barberella; 03-10-2012 at 05:32 AM.
    “When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.” - Roy Disney

I have stayed at both resorts and found that I prefer POFQ. I like the atmosphere better there. It's quiter. The pool at DCS is bigger, but the resort is a whole lot bigger and there is a convention center, so you might want to make sure there are no large functions there during the time you will be there if you choose this one. When I stayed there, the Miss Teen USA pagent (or something similar) was going on, so there were hundreds of teenagers all over the place. I never found the restaraunts at DCS to be that great either. The food court at POFQ is better in my opinion. The boat at POFQ is also nice as momof three stated. You will probably be happy with either not really knowing what is out there. I have stayed at all the value resorts, and most of the MODS. POFQ would be a top choice.

You reach a point where you don't work for money.
    Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I could have written Momofthree's post, so I won't repeat what she said.

But the refurbished rooms with queen beds was the deciding point last time when we stayed at POFQ, and I believe POR is getting queen beds, too, Buzz2001, so you'll have to remove that from your list of + for CSR!

While CSR has a night club, I enjoy the calmer evening entertainment at POFQ with a single live musician and not blaring thumping music, if I want some evening adult entertainment.

Oh, and probably not a concern for you, but I have a Tables in Wonderland card that works at the food court at POFQ, but not at CSR (has to do with the fact that there isn't a table service at POFQ, because it generally is only for TS locations).

ETA: I also found the room decor in CSR to be very DARK. No artwork on the walls, and the wooden sliding panel is very dark, very big carved wood.

Cathy

POFQ. Just for the size if nothing else with stroller age children. Have stayed here twice. Bus service better than POR where we have also stayed.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

We have never stayed at CSR. We have stayed at POFQ. I would go back in a heartbeat, but we can't because we are a family of five. We stayed there before my youngest "counted." She was two. So it was my husband, myself, DS (age 11 at the time) and DD1 (age 8 at the time) and DD2 (age 2 at the time). The kiddie pool was great and the playground was too. The size of the resort is so nice. Nothing is too far away. The food court was really good...yummy beignets. The CM's would give the kids coins to use in the wishing well. They loved it and would look forward to it every time we went into the lobby. The buses were never an issue. I don't know if it was because of the time of year, but we did share buses with POR but we would only make the main stop there...not all five of that resorts bus stops. I took a super sweet picture of the kids walking down one of the beautiful resort "streets" holding hands on our last day...great times!

Have I sold you on POFQ yet? ;-)

I have to agree with the above post...I always fret over which resort to stay in, but we always end of loving the one we picked. We have stayed at all the three levels and the one that really makes me want to come back is POFQ!

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Agreed with above of the votes for POFQ. It's just absolutely beautiful and peaceful!!! We also LOVED the pool!!! Not much else to say because it's all been said very nicely!

Stephanie

First of all, RELAX! You're not going to go wrong staying in either of these terrific properties. As you've seen this question almost always has equal number of people on either side, which makes your decision that much tougher. I'm a big fan of the CSR. I just like the layout of the buildings around the 15 acre lagoon. Yes, it's a convention resort. But the conventioneers have their own section on the far side of the food court, and don't usually interfere with the park stormers. You can indeed request a section or a building. I'd suggest the Cabanas section, which is between the main building and the pool area. See this map -

http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/cspringsmap.htm

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

POFQ gets my vote but I agree with Dan that you can't go wrong with either. However, the ambiance is undeniable at FQ and it somewhat lacking at CSR.
    While the food court is smaller, it is easier to navigate than CSR.

Walking it at night time is still some of the best memories I have from my childhood trips

Formerly tinkinparis

And just to be argumentative, I'm not wild about the FQ ambiance, while I really enjoy the feel of CSR. I really don't like that scary alligator statue!

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    And just to be argumentative, I'm not wild about the FQ ambiance, while I really enjoy the feel of CSR. I really don't like that scary alligator statue!

LOL!!! You mean the ones in front of the pool playing the instruments or the serpent slide?
    Formerly tinkinparis

The ones playing the instruments - creepy!!!

- James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    The ones playing the instruments - creepy!!!
    DAN! Look out! Don't turn around! Ha ha!!!

I think they are adorable...oh well, to each his own.

Stephanie

Blog Entries

I think many would have a harder time with the float decor in the food court - there's a particularly large Bacchus face that I'm not particularly fond of. And I don't have a particular issue with clowns, that many do.

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I think many would have a harder time with the float decor in the food court - there's a particularly large Bacchus face that I'm not particularly fond of. And I don't have a particular issue with clowns, that many do.
    You are right! Some of those floats are scary staring down at you while you are dining!!!

THIS ONE IS SCARY!

EEEK!!!

Stephanie

Blog Entries

Ok, maybe he's not Bacchus, but he does remind me of Bacchus. That's totally the one I meant, too!

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I think many would have a harder time with the float decor in the food court ....
    Yes, that bothers me too. Not a lot, but enough. And I DO have a problem with clowns - always have!
    - James Taylor

To be honest, I think I would prefer the size and theming of POFQ over CSR. The only reason we've never stayed at POFQ is that there have never been discounted rooms available during our travel dates.

For what it's worth, my 5-year-old started talking about CSR out of the blue yesterday, saying how much she wants to stay there again on our next WDW trip. She LOVED that pool slide!

Quote Originally Posted by mxrapu View Post
    To be honest, I think I would prefer the size and theming of POFQ over CSR.
    Theming is a matter of taste, and is a very individual thing. But the large size of CSR would be a problem if you had no input over where your room was. I've never had a problem getting a room in a building that works for me, near the El Centro building. If I was placed in one of the most distant rooms, I'd really have a problem with that!
    - James Taylor

We are staying at CSR in May. My kids choose this one for the pool and slide. Plus they have hammocks on the beach area at the cabanas for my dad.

We are PPH fans so walking is no biggie for us at all. We walk all over our farm so a mile to any place is nothing.

We did put in a request for the Cabanas, I think building 8a, upper floor. My TA will have to refresh my memory on that one. lol
    No downstairs for my dad, he hates bottom rooms. We wanted to be next to the pool area as the kids will want to be over there all the time. Plus they have drinks and nachos there too. lol

We can just drive or walk over to the main building if we want anding. I fig. it's no worse then from PPH to DTD or DLH to the pepper market. Well it "looks" that close any way.

Oh just a Q is there paddle boats you can take out on the lake at CRS?

Blog Entries

If I were to guess, I'd say PPH to bag check at Disneyland is about how far it is to go from farthest building to main building at CSR. Not something you want to repeat 15x/day, but not un-doable. I can totally see your kids getting PLENTY of use out of the pool slide at CSR, too! (Or any pool slide, for that matter!)

I think they had something you could rent - but we were there in November and I think they were closed up for the winter.
    Buzz's website should have something specific about that.

Cathy

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

From what I remember, I'd suggest POFQ over CS. The year Alex and I ran the full marathon, we stayed at CS since it was the "marathon's official hotel" (because the expo was held there instead of Wide World of Sports)... and all I can remember from that stay is that it's SOOOOOOO spread out and it takes 10 minutes to walk anywhere. I bought a refillable mug, and because our room was out in the boonies, we were looking at a 30-minute trip just to go get a free refill. Suffice it to say I wound up losing money on that purchase.

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.