Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do you think the Fantasmic Dessert is so much more than the WOC entire MEAL?

Why do you think the Fantasmic Dessert is so much more than the WOC entire MEAL?

That's it, that's my question.

Thanks

2. # ADS

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Supply and demand.
    The Dessert has a much smaller supply for seating.
    The seating is more 'premium' than the WOC "Seating".

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I wish they offered a less premium option then.

I can stomach the WOC prices, but the Fantasmic ones are just beyond my tolerance.

Fantasmic! actually gives you seats. WOC gives you a section to stake out a spot and stand.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    Fantasmic! actually gives you seats. WOC gives you a section to stake out a spot and stand.
    Oh really? Even if you get one of the restaurant meals and not the picnic box?

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintermomma View Post
    The ONLY seats for World of Color are either HCA reserved benches or VIP for Club 33 members, everyone else stands for the show. The dining options just give you a specific location on the wharf to watch the show. There are 3 colors, plus the preferred (dining) sections. If you do the picnic option you'll get a fast pass for either yellow or blue that you will give to the cast member but your location IN the section will depend completely on your being willing to get in line early and be prepared to wait. You can gain the same spot for free if you go to DCA and wait in the FP distribution line at Grizzly Rapids. The picnic option gives you a very VERY light meal option for earlier in the day that you pick up and save yourself the wait in line for the free fastpasses. The meals offer fast passes to the 'preferred' section and has a bit of a better wait area but the process is the same, go eat, get your fast pass then wait in the line for your area until you're allowed to enter. The longer you wait (the earlier you get in line) the better your spot in the area...wait til the last minute and you'll be standing with several rows of people ahead of you. It is allowed that parents put their children ON their shoulders for the show and strollers are allowed into the areas. So yes, the Fantasmic Desert reserved seating is a higher priced but higher valued option for many folks.
    Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    So yes, the Fantasmic Desert reserved seating is a higher priced but higher valued option for many folks.
    Bingo!

I don't care for the dessert box (let the hazing begin!); I just want the seat. I'd probably pay the same price for a WOC chair. (Only "probably" because I don't care as much for the show but I'd definitely pay some premium to sit down.)
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Ahh...I see. Thanks for clarifying. In that case the WOC meal isn't worth it to me either.
    We'll just see what we can see for Fantasmic when the time comes. I'm not into spending hours to squat for great seats.

Blog Entries
    I wish they offered a less premium option then.

I can stomach the WOC prices, but the Fantasmic ones are just beyond my tolerance.
    See, for me, it is totally worth it, and I would do it over WoC. But either one of them, we do the premium option. Just easier for us.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries
    Yes, you get a premium standing area.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Yes, you get a premium standing area.
    You do get to stand for less time before going in, IMO. But you're still standing quite a while!
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    I don't care for the dessert box (let the hazing begin!); I just want the seat.
    See, in my case, it's not the seat I want because I know how to get a decent "seat" and can handle sitting on the ground. It's the dessert box I want. I'm just curious.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    See, in my case, it's not the seat I want because I know how to get a decent "seat" and can handle sitting on the ground. It's the dessert box I want. I'm just curious.
    You know I'm just not a fan of Disney sweets if they don't come from Napa Rose! I'm spoiled.

They are very pretty but I just don't usually eat desserts unless they are extra special. These are heavily geared toward chocolate which I can't have much of (which I know is sad and wrong but there you go). I also feel they've really suffered from being prepacked and staged; they've just been sucking up humidity in a case all day. They all taste the same to me; like cardboard. My husband doesn't care for them either and I wouldn't call him picky.

Bear in mind that I don't like very many Disney treats so I think that makes me weird. I know most people love the box.

The CM's are great; they make the experience special. So I guess I can't say it's "all" about the chair.

I also eat the fruit, cheese, and crackers. They aren't gourmet but they are fine and fill me up.

Obviously what you need to do is shadow us the next time we go. We'll give you a full box of your own to take to your regular seat!

Blog Entries

Well, I like the seat, I like the service, and I like the desserts!

Cool

When the Fantasmic thing started it was truly a special indulgence. There was space for about 12, and it was done on the balcony of the (now) Dream Suite. You were high above the crowds, in a center position and it was an all you can eat dessert buffet. Other than when we visited the Ben & Jerry's factory, it's the only time the boy was told he could have dessert for dinner. Then the Mouse saw the Dollars. They got as many as the could on the balcony, it started with about 12 people and worked up to 20. Then they started the dessert box at the same price, even though it was clearly an inferior value. No more dessert buffet, no more center view and no more separation from the crowd. Since it's pretty simple to get a center view for Fantasmic within 15 feet or less of the water for a 2nd show, and only wait there about 45 minutes, there's is no way I would do it again, and no way I'd recommend for anyone unless they had one and only one day in their entire life to visit DL.

A bientot.

"I'm not interested in what you did yesterday, because I'm not going to be there. I know I can do that. It's the next thing that I'm interested in" (Walt Disney)
    "Sometimes it's not to your benefit to mess with things that are above your reach. You don't want to show yourself to be too stupid." (Bob Dylan)

Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    When the Fantasmic thing started it was truly a special indulgence. There was space for about 12, and it was done on the balcony of the (now) Dream Suite. You were high above the crowds, in a center position and it was an all you can eat dessert buffet. Other than when we visited the Ben & Jerry's factory, it's the only time the boy was told he could have dessert for dinner. Then the Mouse saw the Dollars. They got as many as the could on the balcony, it started with about 12 people and worked up to 20. Then they started the dessert box at the same price, even though it was clearly an inferior value. No more dessert buffet, no more center view and no more separation from the crowd. Since it's pretty simple to get a center view for Fantasmic within 15 feet or less of the water for a 2nd show, and only wait there about 45 minutes, there's is no way I would do it again, and no way I'd recommend for anyone unless they had one and only one day in their entire life to visit DL.

A bientot.
    THanks for the info. I remember when it started...it was the balcony of the Gallery, right? I didn't realized it'd changed so much.

When the Fantasmic thing started it was truly a special indulgence. There was space for about 12, and it was done on the balcony of the (now) Dream Suite. You were high above the crowds, in a center position and it was an all you can eat dessert buffet.
    We did this version (the balcony of the gallery) about once a year for as long as it was offered. My family loved it--even though it meant my poor daddy got up at the crack of dawn to get the tickets the day of because you couldn't reserve in advance. He's a good daddy.

As for the current version, my DH said he'd pay the $$ just to have the chair. The service is great, we like to do the first show and stay for fireworks. It is a much better bang for your buck than the premium WOC option, in my opinion. A seat, service, snacks, drinks, plus I like F! better than WOC anyway.
    Keep Moving Forward!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    I also eat the fruit, cheese, and crackers. They aren't gourmet but they are fine and fill me up.
    Ummm, fruit, cheese and crackers? I don't remember hearing about those, just the dessert box. Because of the dessert box, the husband has zero interest in going, so I'm on my own if I want to do it.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Ummm, fruit, cheese and crackers? I don't remember hearing about those, just the dessert box. Because of the dessert box, the husband has zero interest in going, so I'm on my own if I want to do it.
    The dessert box has 5 cheeses in it (2 Tillamook, 3 BabyBel), crackers, grapes, 2 truffles, THE cookie, a maccaroon dipped in chocolate, a lemon tart thing, a chocolate molton cake thing, and mini cheesecake.

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

CStephens, there are several things hubby can enjoy in the box. There are about 3 different cheese choices, a couple cracker choices, a small and I do mean SMALL serving of grapes then the sweets. You could trade goodies and still have a nice assortment and the chairs to be a bit more comfortable in. Granted you could carry the same thing IN and do your free seat thing and be a few bucks ahead.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Ahh...I see. Thanks for clarifying. In that case the WOC meal isn't worth it to me either.
    We'll just see what we can see for Fantasmic when the time comes. I'm not into spending hours to squat for great seats.
    We never SIT for Fantasmic! but usually find a great view at a rail around an hour out from the show. We waited a little longer than that one summer but that was because we had 20 people in our group.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    and no way I'd recommend for anyone unless they had one and only one day in their entire life to visit DL.
    My opinion is very different than yours on this.
    The first time I did it, it was me, my "Disney sister" (the one I often go on Disney trips with) and our Mom, who was not yet into her 7th decade (but close). My sister and I had been wanting to do it - but wanted to save it for a special occassion. It wasn't Mom's one and only trip (we went twice when I was in middle school/junior high range) but Fantasmic wasn't around, so we'll consider it a once in a lifetime visit. We were extremely limited on the days we could see F! because of the show schedule, and becuase my sister and I were doing the half-marathon -- so no late night the night before the race, and no late night the night of the race. And none of the three of us wanted to plan on lasting until the second show (if there was one even). Additionally, none of the three of us like crowded crowds AT ALL.

It was the only way that my Mom would have been able to see the show.

The next time I did the seating, was with that same sister, plus another sister and her husband, plus 2 of my nephews - 1.5 and 3.5 yrs. My BIL really wanted to see the show with his boys -- it was one of his postive memories he and my sister had from their pre-engagement trip to DL. My Disney sister and I basically put our foot down and said if he wanted to plan on seeing the show, that was the only way we knew that the boys would be able to enjoy it, without devoting a TON of time to camping out. And that just wasn't in the cards for us, either. After the fact, my BIL agreed that if we'd camped out, or done the light pole trick or whatever (again, second show wasn't an option for the boys) it would NOT have been a fun experience. If just he and his wife had wanted to see it, the other two of us would have been happy to stay back in the room with the boys (and we did do that another night so they could play in the parks together) - and he probably would have been ok with watching it walking up -- but he's a DAD who enjoys seeing things WITH his boys.

And the boys REALLY were able to enjoy the show. Towards the end, when the villian section was just about done, the older one was ready to go (he'd had enough of the villians) - and shortly thereafter, the younger is clapping in glee when Mickey 'won'. No way we would have gotten GLEE from a todler if we'd camped out for hours/had to deal with crowds/kept him up even farther past his bedtime.

Do I think everyone should do it every time? No, of course not. But there are many reasons besides 'one and only time in their life' to suggest it as an option for others, such as if you have schedule and other issues that would prevent you from enjoying the show without it.
    Cathy

The meals offer fast passes to the 'preferred' section and has a bit of a better wait area but the process is the same, go eat, get your fast pass then wait in the line for your area until you're allowed to enter.
    It should be pointed out that the "wait area" if you get the full meal is a sitdown section of the Trattoria restaurant. It's really very pleasant to just be seated, waiting for time to go into the show area. I've done this twice now (and had a brother just do it a couple days ago), and it sure beat standing in a line waiting to go in. I truly believe that Disney is missing a bet by not having a bar and maybe some simple snacks on sale in this waiting area. Just sipping on a glass of wine would be totally incredible.

As to the food deal, I'm amazed at all you get for a good price. And I really enjoyed my two meals at the Trattoria - great food, great service and a WOC show to boot!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    The dessert box has 5 cheeses in it (2 Tillamook, 3 BabyBel), crackers, grapes, 2 truffles, THE cookie, a maccaroon dipped in chocolate, a lemon tart thing, a chocolate molton cake thing, and mini cheesecake.
    Ummm, WANT.

You could trade goodies and still have a nice assortment and the chairs to be a bit more comfortable in.
    But that would mean I'd have to give up some of my nice cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    It should be pointed out that the "wait area" if you get the full meal is a sitdown section of the Trattoria restaurant.
    Is that only if you actually ate at the Trattoria? I've done the meal twice, last July at Ariel's and the July previous at the Trattoria. When we ate at the Tratorria, we walked around afterward, and by the time we got to WoC, they'd already let everyone in, so I don't know where the waiting area was. When we ate at Ariel's, the waiting area was right in front of where you pick up the picnic meals.

Blog Entries
    I usually go over and get some apples from one of the stands that has them as a side (can't remember which one right now--maybe the Mint Julep place). They are not the most incredible apples in the world but grapes aren't my favorite and even if they were, I like the variety.