Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Marathon Weekend

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I still went fast enough to stay well ahead of the sweeper, but I lost SO much time during those three miles and I was never able to recover.
    It's good to know that you'll be ahead of the sweeper - and believe me, I know that anxiety and wanting to just deal with that anxiety. But at the same time, long run are designed to build your endurance, not necessarily your speed. Sometimes, for a variety of reasons, my only goal with a long run is to get the darn miles IN and get them OVER-WITH.

You did that! I'm sorry it was so frustrating but YES, this totally counts as success.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks AdK. Yes, you're right. But, I knew I could fish since I almost did 10 two weeks ago. I was really hoping to test how I would handle the actual race if I had to run it now. I know I should just be concerned with logging the miles, but I was hoping for more. Thanks for the reminder.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You have 3 months (?) until the actual race. Don't rush your training!!!

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    You have 3 months (?) until the actual race. Don't rush your training!!!
    13 weeks from yesterday! I'm actually really excited. I've never been excited about running in my life until now.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Oh well, it's done, I finished and I'm not inured so I should count it as a success, right?
    YES!!! And keep in mind that you beat the sweeper despite all of those conditions, which you know won't be present during the actual race. If you could hold your own through that, you can handle the race.

The 12-mile I did before the Disneyland 1/2 involved a killer hill, red lights every block, street closures due to the city's anniversary parade, a car accident (I wasn't involved, but I stopped to make sure there were no injuries and to call for help if needed), a detour into a restaurant to buy water after I ran out too soon, and a long section where I had to walk through my run intervals because of construction that rendered the sidewalk unsafe for someone with my ankle to risk jogging on it. I figured if I could get through all THAT under pace, the actual race would be a breeze.

I'm glad you didn't quit. Hopefully by tomorrow you can look back on this and be proud that you came through "worst case scenario" unscathed!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    YES!!! And keep in mind that you beat the sweeper despite all of those conditions, which you know won't be present during the actual race. If you could hold your own through that, you can handle the race.

<snip>

I'm glad you didn't quit. Hopefully by tomorrow you can look back on this and be proud that you came through "worst case scenario" unscathed!
    Yes! DH said the exact same thing yesterday.
    I'm already so happy I didn't quit as I look back on it today. I know I can do this!

So I read a post on rundisney's facebook about a lady who was 15 seconds off pace at mile 11.2 for the wine and dine half. She said that she would've finished in under the time. So my question is this. Does the sweeper travel at the 16 minute per mile pace, or is it each mile has to be less than 16 minutes. say at mile 18 I slow to 16:10, do they pull me even though I am walking and have a planned slower mile in there so I can run the rest? I have heard of the run/walk a mile strategy for the Marathon and was wondering if anyone had some insight into this? Is it a steady pace sweep or per individual mile? Say I run at a 9 minute mile pace and slow up for one and then speed back up. do they pull after every mile if one is slower? Not sure if this is making sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewyswimmer View Post
    So I read a post on rundisney's facebook about a lady who was 15 seconds off pace at mile 11.2 for the wine and dine half. She said that she would've finished in under the time. So my question is this. Does the sweeper travel at the 16 minute per mile pace, or is it each mile has to be less than 16 minutes. say at mile 18 I slow to 16:10, do they pull me even though I am walking and have a planned slower mile in there so I can run the rest? I have heard of the run/walk a mile strategy for the Marathon and was wondering if anyone had some insight into this? Is it a steady pace sweep or per individual mile? Say I run at a 9 minute mile pace and slow up for one and then speed back up. do they pull after every mile if one is slower? Not sure if this is making sense.
    The sweeper is at the back of the pack, and the time is based on the last person to cross the start. If you start out fast and slow way down, you should build up a cushion to prevent sweeping. It just depends on how much you slow down and how far ahead of that last person you crossed the starting line. That's why some people who are nervous about their pace try to get closer to the front of the last corrals so that they have a cushion to work with.

Thank you! That helps a lot! My wife is thinking about maybe doing the 5k or the half. She is nervous about the prospect of not finishing. Is there a sweeper for the 5k? 20 miles for my long run this weekend! Wow, my longest run ever.

Blog Entries

Another long run today. The goal was to go for 11 miles and I made it 10.6. I changed my intervals to aggressively. They are fine for short (5 miles or less) runs, but I really started to poop out at 6 miles. I must also find a better route. I try to map a loop from home and back and it's so extremely difficult to keep extending my milage without conquering some major hills. I can take it for short runs, but not the long ones. So, back to the drawing board to attempt to find a less hilly (no such thing as flat near me) route.

Blog Entries

Don't discard the idea of driving a little bit (use your own definition) to find a good location. I have two parks I like to go to (sidewalks in the neighborhoods are too unpredictable with the tree roots - plus I know where potties and water fountains are in the parks!) and one is a little farther away, but the one near me has just a 2 mile loop around the outside of the park. So it's fine for about 3 laps (6 miles) - after that, it gets WAY too repetitive. The other park has a couple of options that make it so one loop CAN be longer, plus I can mix them up and still be within the park area for variety. Hills aren't a problem around here (when Team in Training is preparing for a hilly course, I think they have to drive more than an hour to get to some slight hills!) - but 'safe for ankle' terrain is and issue!

Cathy

Blog Entries

Good point, Cathy.

Keep in mind that Hill training is not all bad for flat courses. Just don't do too much of it. I had to change where I run. The concrete, if you run on it too much, can and eventually will give you shin splints. especially as you pick up your pace. I had to change due to too much concrete running and the worst shin splints I have ever had. I now run in an area near my school that has hills in one 1.5 mile section or a flat 1.5 mile section. There are Bathrooms nearby and a water station. Some of it is asphalt, the other dirt. I could run a concrete trail that parallels, but only when I am tired of running on dirt. Did 20 miles yesterday in 2:50. Saw a Bald Eagle gliding, A coyote, A Bullsnake (Yuck), some hawks, lots of cows, a bunny and a couple of dogs ran with me for a bit.

Blog Entries

My courses usually take me over varies types of terrain, but yesterday was mostly sidewalks. Normally I'm 50% concrete and the other 50% is a mixture of dirt, sand, and asphalt. We do have lots of horse trails in our area that I can run and will as soon as it gets a little cooler. I'm not down with a face off with a rattlesnake. I see king, gopher and garter snakes often in my runs and I can handle those, rattlers, no thanks. We did see coyotes yesterday morning, but it wasn't on our course, it was after our run. Then there is the usual bunny, squirrel and lots of hawks.
    I don't mind running some hills, but this was too intense yesterday. I'm changing my course for sure.

I agree: if you can find a nice location that is a reasonable drive it's totally worth it for a long run. I go to a nearby trail on Saturdays to run with a group.

Pulled the trigger last night. I am all in for the Marathon! We will see how the elevation changes from CO to FL affect the LONG run and endurance. I am aiming for a sub 4 hour stroll through the parks. I couldn't sleep last night I was so excited! I just need to not annoy my wife with my excitement over the next 2 months.

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar

Awesome! So glad you will be joining us! It's a really great race!

Course maps have been uploaded to the RunDisney site. I'm disappointed by the disappearance of the water stop and aid station indicators. I don't understand why they have removed them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Course maps have been uploaded to the RunDisney site. I'm disappointed by the disappearance of the water stop and aid station indicators. I don't understand why they have removed them.
    That does seem odd.
    Do you know what the white circles are on the course maps? On the half there is one near the Magic Kingdom and one near the Grand Floridian.

That does seem odd.
    Do you know what the white circles are on the course maps? On the half there is one near the Magic Kingdom and one near the Grand Floridian.
    I believe they are traffic signals. I have no idea why they would be designated on a road race map though.

Blog Entries
    And the mile markers, too. (I was just looking for them today to see how long it was between the Studios and the International Gateway - but not only do they not have the mile markers, the course changed so it's not the same way that you'd walk that now!
    Cathy

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    They did this on the course map for the DL Half, too. Part of me is suspicious - do they not want participants to be depending on stations in case they run out of something?

Personally, I'm annoyed because this was one reason I originally felt "safe" signing up for a Disney event: I hoped that with the Disney name, I'd be able to feels secure that there would be plenty of stations and that they'd be well stocked!

I don't carry a lot of water so I really count on them!
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    They did this on the course map for the DL Half, too. Part of me is suspicious - do they not want participants to be depending on stations in case they run out of something?

Personally, I'm annoyed because this was one reason I originally felt "safe" signing up for a Disney event: I hoped that with the Disney name, I'd be able to feels secure that there would be plenty of stations and that they'd be well stocked!

I don't carry a lot of water so I really count on them!
    They do have them indicated in the race program, however I like the visual reference on the map. It definitely helps for planning ahead.

I was pretty disppointed in the totally generic appearance of the course maps as well. It's fun to see the actual mile markers not to mention if you have family members or friends out to supports you it gives you somewhere along the course pretty specific so they can see you. The aid stations and water stops are great to see as well but please rest easy, water/sports drink stations are plentiful along the course.

Hope everyone's training is going well!! Anyone doing the Pasta In The Parks meal on Thursday night the 5th?
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar

The maps have been updated and now include water stops and mile markers.