Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Celebrate Walt's Hundredth at Disneyland

Celebrate Walt's Hundredth at Disneyland

Rumours continue to swirl about what Disneyland will or will not do to honor Walt Disney's 100th Birthday on December 5, 2001. Chances are that any official celebrations will be minimal.

It's up to the common folk then, the fans of Disneyland, the admirers of Walt, padders and non-padders alike, to mark the occassion with some fun and festivity. So we are hatching a plan to throw a guerilla birthday party at Walt's statue in the Hub.

2:00 pm or 4:00 pm are the most likely options, with parade and firework frenzy starting before 6 and the park closing at 8. Not enough time to wait for folks to get there after work, but anyone who can be in the Park during the day on December 5, come and join us for a semi-spontaneous celebration of Walt Disney's Birthday.

Post here (or in the predecessor thread "Walt's 100th") with your preference for early afternoon (2:00) or late afternoon (4:00). Oh, and sorry for starting a very similar thread, but the title should tell the padding world that we are Celebrating Walt's Birthday at Disneyland. Join us if you can.

2. # ADS

Happy Birthday Walt!

We'll, I'm taking the day off work to spend the day at the park, so either time works for me

I vote for the earlier time because I'm going to the thing at AMPAS that evening.

I'm with cemeinke. I'll follow him anywhere .

she's just *that girl*

I plan on being there the 5th and any of those times is fine for me, since I'll be there sometime in the late morning anyway.

Next stop: Tokyo Disneyland!

Folks, this is going to be a daily ritual of mine for one week only to post some needless information just so that this thread gets pushed to the top momentarily and has a chance to remain visible. Obviously, once the week is over, this thread will be allowed to die, but until then I want to keep it alive and keep encouraging everyone to come out to the Park on Dec. 5 to celebrate Walt's Birthday at his statue in the Hub.

As of the early posts received, it looks like 2:00 works better than 4:00. Merlinjones wants to go to the AMPAS event that evening (and who can blame him), and we want to accomodate people whenever possible. M.Jones is one of our most prolific Pad posters and I, for one, would like to shake his hand. So, with 6 days to go, it's 2:00 at the Hub. The more the merrier, though, and so the final time will depend on the desires of the majority.

Keep posting your time preferences, and let us know if you plan to be there on the 5th. Walt's 100th happens only once. Since his company is dishonoring him with a lackluster celebration, it is up to us to apease the spirit of Walt or the frozen body of Walt or the grave-spinning Walt (take your pick).

It's been months since I posted but I wanted to share some thoughts, for those interested.

There's been some comments about the Park not doing much to celebrate Walt's birthday. I would love to see a big, all out event, and I do believe they were considered. Sometimes the corporate handcuffs prevent Park castmembers from doing what they would like; sometimes its budget; sometimes its just logistics. I know for a fact that some of the somewhat derogitorilly termed "suits" care very much about recognizing this event. There will in fact be a recognition event at the Park that day, prior to the meet being suggested here, but I don't know why it hasnt been announced so I wont say more.

Still, I plan to have a wonderful day, and thought I would share some suggestions with you for your own enjoyment. (If in fact the "Walk in Walt's footsteps tour" only departs around 10-10:30, which I think is the usual schedule, I would suggest you opt to skip it that day however, so as not to be tied up during the following two hour period :-) )

First and foremost - relax and have fun. That's what Walt wanted for us all - to be in a magical place like no other!

Secondly, be sure to visit the "Walt spots" - the Opera House with his office, stop by the Fire Station and gaze up, stop at the Baby Station and see his picture; relax for a moment at the Gallery and view the wonderful lands from the balcony, where he had planned to have family apartments. Take a trip on the Mark Twain, where he and Lillian celebrated their anniversary before Park opening. Ride only the rides built during his life. Take the train around the park, and say hello to someone you dont know. Offer to take a picture for one of the many visiting families for whome this may be their first or only trip. Give the marching band a great big round of applause! Sing along with friends on Main Street USA. Give away a pin to a child so they can trade for something to take home and treasure and remember their day.

More than anything, say something nice to a castmember to let them know you appreciate them carrying on Walt's tradition.

For souvenir hunters - get a profile cut and dated; get an engraved marker from Arribas for the event, personalized; or buy one of the items being released that day, of which there should be several (assuming production timelines were met) and which will be sold throughout the upcoming months for the most part. There are all sorts of things you can do that are unique and personal for your own special celebration. This can be OUR tribute to Walt and all he accomplished - it doesnt have to be something manufactured for us. I think that makes it even more special.

I hope those who do gather at 2 have a great time; true, the Park may not have done what we all would love to see, but it's still there, with the smiles and magic and wonder and creativity that was one man's dream, brought to life by legions of imaginative people who do care very much. By focusing on all that is there, rather than that which is not, Walt would be very happy I think to just know that his Park is still making people happy. See you there, hopefully with a smile!

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

I can only be there in spirit but I can help by keeping an eye on this thread and helping 'bump' it so it stays in the top posts for the week!

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Time once again for the daily push of this thread back to the visible zone.

I'd like to thank jiminycesq for his great advice. I do indeed plan to make it a mostly Waltcentric day ... cruise aboard the Mark Twain, spend a lot of time on Main Street, walk through the Castle a few dozen times, boat ride through Storybook Land, Club 33, the Petrified Tree in Frontierland, It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, take in Steamboat Willie at the Main Street Cinema, ride the Carousel and all the Fantasyland dark rides, look longingly at the remains of the Skyway terminal in Fantasyland. Will the Jungle Cruise be open? Well, you get the idea.

MammaSilva, I truly hope you can make it to our little party (as you indicated you might on the other Walt's 100th thread). You seem like the sweetest woman on the planet, and it would be an honor to meet you.

Ok, everybody, come on down to celebrate Walt's centennial birthday. December 5, 2:00 p.m., Walt's statue in the Hub.

Whooo hoooo I'm so excited... I have been droooling and wimpering because it just didn't look like I could shift schedules to make it to the park on the 5th but as of this afternoon things seem to be changing for the better and as it stands I'm there.. at the hub at 2 but in the park from the minute they let AP'rs in the gate and since the hours are soo short I don't see a break in the day to go back and veg at the hotel.. the kids can handle a measly 10 hour day

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

I've decided I'll be there for the unofficial Walt's birthday meet on 12/5 at 2:00 -- and just for fun, I'll bring a few dozen MouseSavers lanyards (with oh-so-fabulous passholder pockets attached) to give away.

Just seems like an appropriate day for some little gifties...

Mary
    MouseSavers.com

Originally posted by FoodLover
    I've decided I'll be there for the unofficial Walt's birthday meet on 12/5 at 2:00 -- and just for fun, I'll bring a few dozen MouseSavers lanyards (with oh-so-fabulous passholder pockets attached) to give away.

Just seems like an appropriate day for some little gifties...

Mary
    MouseSavers.com
    ooooo I get dibbies on one I love the MouseSavers.com site I found some very very hard to get videos in the CLEARANCE section no less

she's just *that girl*

Hey! Just wanted to say that I'll be there for sure.

so are we all bringing "party hats" and noise makers ect??????

she's just *that girl*
    mammasilva: I'm afraid the best I could do is wear my headband with those bouncing Mickey heads on them (those gliterry Mickey heads on springs attached to the headband). I have no party paraphenalia where I live during the school year!

Anyone have any idea what the weather will be like next Wednesday?

partly cloudy and cold ( there may be another storm coming in that day or Thursday )

Convicted cheese smuggler
    Originally posted by innerSpaceman
    I'd like to thank jiminycesq for his great advice. I do indeed plan to make it a mostly Waltcentric day ... cruise aboard the Mark Twain, spend a lot of time on Main Street, walk through the Castle a few dozen times, boat ride through Storybook Land, Club 33, the Petrified Tree in Frontierland, It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, take in Steamboat Willie at the Main Street Cinema, ride the Carousel and all the Fantasyland dark rides, look longingly at the remains of the Skyway terminal in Fantasyland. Will the Jungle Cruise be open? Well, you get the idea..
    Is the castle open again? Or is the interior still gone. Also should we count PoC as walt or not since he didn't live to completion. Don't forget the matterhorn was waltcentric, techincally autopia was one too (its just in a different incarnation) Any others?
    "We are reminded once every 12.5 seconds that Chuck and Millie are virgins -- VIRGINS! And that Jon and Al are clowns -- CLOWNS! And that Tian and Jaree are annoying -- ANNOYING!"

--TelevisonWithout Pity

At the last minute: LaughingPlace reports that Cynthia Harriss will preside over a Walt's 100th Birthday ceremony at 11:30 Dec 5th at the hub. Festivities will include Richard Sherman (who I hope will play Feed the Birds for Walt).

Are they opening the doors early for the 5th.. published time says it opens at 10 but they are going to start handing out the vouchers for AP only pins at 9:30?????? I am thinking I'll be dragging 4 kids over there EARLY just to stand in line

Thanks Nigel2 for reminding us about the Matterhorn. Wouldn't want to miss that on a Waltcentric day. It will be my first time in the new line - can't wait to despise it. As for Pirates, it was such a Walt-involved project, that I consider it to be extremely waltcentric. In fact, I will undoubtedly get a tear in my eye when riding it on the 5th with the thought that he did not live to see his Disneyland masterpiece.

The plans in the works at the time of Disney's death were some of his most magnificent. Too bad most are gone. Haunted Mansion is temporarily changed almost beyond recognition, and all of the great works of '67 Tomorrowland are history. Still, there's plenty of Walt stuff to do. Everybody come on down and have a great Walt day.

beep beep whrrrr

Guys, I love Walt too. I wish I could have been at the park 46 years ago to see him walking through it. But come on. I think it's a little silly to celebrate the 100th birthday of a dead guy, even if he is the founder of the company. I could understand if it were the 100th birthday of Disneyland or something because DL is still around. If we were to make note of every single birthday or anniversary ending in a 0 or 5 of any one attraction in the park or of anyone who ever worked on it, then none of them would have any meaning.

I don't think we should complain about DL's primarily merchandise-based attempt at a celebration. If they celebrated every little event that happened at the park, they'd lose cash faster than they're losing it now.

>>If we were to make note of every single birthday or anniversary ending in a 0 or 5 of any one attraction in the park or of anyone who ever worked on it, then none of them would have any meaning. <<

Uh, we're ONLY talking about Walt here. I don't recall any suggestions for ANY other birthdays being discussed around here. If you don't think Walt is important, become a Disney VP.

>>I don't think we should complain about DL's primarily merchandise-based attempt at a celebration. If they celebrated every little event that happened at the park, they'd lose cash faster than they're losing it now.<<

Walt's 100th is "every little event"? How sharp are your pencils, boy?

And I must add that it's best for every company, every person, every entity and creature to celebrate while you still can every event you can think of worth celebrating.

Sure, I get SpazRobot's point about the oddity of celebrating a birthday of someone who's dead, and sure 100 is really just an arbitrary number (what makes it more worthy than 62?).

Well, I'll answer my own question: These random numeric milestones - (10, 25, 50, 100 for most entities; 5, 18, 21, 30, 40, 50, 65 for most people, etc.) are significant not in and of themselves, but because they can be recognized by a large number of people. It's the collective consciousness that gives things power. Sure, I would like to celebrate Dead Walt's 78th birthday and all his other would-have-been birthdays (and I often do), but it's the easily noticed round numbers that give us a chance to join with others and make a perhaps insignificant event full of significance by virtue of our own attention to it.

Anyway, that's my long-winded way of saying "Hey, any excuse to party!"

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I'll help with the bumping part, and also toss out an idea.

Several of us wanted to do the Walt In Walt's Footsteps tour on the 5th, and were sorely disapointed to learn that the ONLY tour of the day departs at 10:45. At present, there are no plans to alter that tour so that participants can attend the re-dedication ceremony at 11:30.

I am heading to City Hall to inquire about chartering another tour later that afternoon. If I can get a WIWF Tour scheduled for 3:00-ish, are there any other Padders who would want to join us? The tour holds 15-18, and there are already a half-dozen people interested.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Stunningly Sarcastic

I'll be there pretty much all day after about 11am, so any tours or anything I'm totally up for!