Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disneyland Resort Update

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Disneyland Resort Update

Disneyland Resort Update by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    Update for August 20 - 26, 2012
    Where have all the beach balls gone? | Report sheds light on Jungle Cruise changes | Disneyland prepares for return of APs | Fall 2012 refurbishments | 20 nights of Candlelight | Fantasmic! AP event | Muslim ex-cast member sues Disney

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With regards to Luigis

Disney is removing the spin-control mechanism from the ride vehicles,
    Does this mean they tires will be easier to spin, or harder?
    Cathy

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    With regards to Luigis
    Does this mean they tires will be easier to spin, or harder?
    The Flying Tires were designed with knob on top of the tire that would let you spin the tire while riding it. That was removed before the ride opened. The plan now is to remove the mechanism under the tire that controlled the spin. This won't make it any easier or more difficult to spin, since that feature was never used.

It has always been possible to make the tires spin without the controller; this won't change anything, but you still have to know how. It' s hard to describe, but you have to move your body around almost like you were using a giant hula hoop.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Adrienne!
    I guess I should practice more on my wii hula hoop before I go, then!

And definitely a good idea to remove mechanicals for things that were removed! Hopefully they can do it overnight - or if not, just pull a couple of tires off/day so the attraction doesn't have to close down for a few days.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    The Flying Tires were designed with knob on top of the tire that would let you spin the tire while riding it. That was removed before the ride opened. The plan now is to remove the mechanism under the tire that controlled the spin. This won't make it any easier or more difficult to spin, since that feature was never used.

It has always been possible to make the tires spin without the controller; this won't change anything, but you still have to know how. It' s hard to describe, but you have to move your body around almost like you were using a giant hula hoop.
    I wish now that they decided the giant beach balls were unnecessary that they considered bringing back the spin feature rather than removing the mechanism. Perhaps guests deserve a bit more credit than they were giving us?

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In regards to the Jungle Cruise

"Within weeks, Disney implemented a new operating procedure that required skippers to load the dock side of the boat first, helping keep the edge of the boat closer to the dock."

I don't think I ever saw them load the non-dock side of the boat.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    I don't think I ever saw them load the non-dock side of the boat.
    I was also briefly confused by the wording, but there's really no other way to describe it without using nautical terms. =)

My main concern is this: "any patron's body or body parts is unable to fall or be entrapped between the boat and the dock." A small handful of minor incidents in almost sixty years seems like a pretty risk-free activity; regulations like this only serve to perpetuate the myth that we can eliminate all risks and make every place 100% safe.

Powers &8^]

I don't care what anyone says, I am GLAD that the beach balls are gone.

I have witnessed all of the following numerous times;

The balls slowed down load times, and what's worse, very often when the ride cycle was over, many guests would not exit, they would continue to play with the balls and not leave right away, again, slowing things down. This is NOT your backyard people!

Also, many children would try to stand up and reach for the balls during the ride, in many cases forcing the CMs to stop the ride.

Some guests would just hold onto the ball for the whole ride, not even throwing it, just holding onto that huge ball the entire ride cycle, making it very hard for them to even move around. My question was always, "WHY?"

Way too many riders would be more concerned with trying to grab a beach ball, causing "traffic jams".

The real gimmick of the ride is that you are floating on air. The ride was originally supposed to open without beach balls. From day one, I always felt that the balls were intrusive.

I don't care what anyone says on twitter or any other social media site. The ride is NOT "lame", the ride is NOT "pointless." Seriously, is it NOT hard. All you have to do is LEAN in the direction that you want to travel. If you do it right, you can really get moving FAST. I know, I've done it.

Don't just jump up and down in your seat, that does nothing. And if you are riding with others, lean together! You are not going to go anywhere if one person if leaning left, and the other is leaning right.

And in all fairness, it is easier if you are a single rider, and it helps if you also slide around in your seat a bit as you are leaning.

I have ridden since the balls were removed, and their removal does speed up the load times, and the line does seem to move a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    I think I know what you mean. I have gotten my tire to spin a bit in the past.

How do they plan to get xx hundred number of high school choir singers to perform 20 nights in a row? I see a lot of empty spots..people have other lives, especially in December, especially for a non-paid gig.

Blog Entries

If they run it like WDW, it won't be the same groups every evening. I think they only commit to one night per group, and do the rehearsal the same day. And given the larger population base around Disneyland, it shouldn't be that hard to find choirs to fill the spots.

Cathy

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    I was also briefly confused by the wording, but there's really no other way to describe it without using nautical terms. =)

My main concern is this: "any patron's body or body parts is unable to fall or be entrapped between the boat and the dock." A small handful of minor incidents in almost sixty years seems like a pretty risk-free activity; regulations like this only serve to perpetuate the myth that we can eliminate all risks and make every place 100% safe.

Powers &8^]
    I thought the wording was funny and I couldn't resist.

I'm surprised they didn't come up with or use a gang plank with rails type of scenario.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."