Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Korkis Korner: Debunking Meryl Streep, Part Two

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Korkis Korner: Debunking Meryl Streep, Part Two

Debunking Meryl Streep, Part Two by Jim Korkis

A continued look at why Walt Disney was NOT anti-Semitic, racist, nor misogynistic

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Additional Information on Debunking Meryl Streep

Quote Originally Posted by MousePlanet AutoPoster View Post
    Debunking Meryl Streep, Part Two by Jim Korkis

A continued look at why Walt Disney was NOT anti-Semitic, racist, nor misogynistic

Read it here!
    As I mentioned in my two articles, I only shared the tip of the iceberg. There is so much more information to defend Walt against these charges. Even after I write an article, I continue to do further research and I always want MousePlanet readers to have the most accurate information.

In the article, I point out that Floyd Norman was the first black animator in the business. Talking recently with Floyd, I found out I was incorrect. Floyd was the first black animator at Disney but the first ever black animator was Frank Braxton who worked at Warner Brothers Looney Tunes for two years and then worked for almost a year at Disney. Floyd knew Frank and admitted that most people he knows in the business were totally unaware of Frank who also went overseas to work for an animation studio. Frank is truly a forgotten animator and I may be writing a column about him in the future.

Still, what that means is that Walt hired TWO black animators back in the day without any fanfare.

Last week's article on Jewish people working at the Disney Studios during Walt's lifetime, I listed a small handful of people who were Jewish. My friend (and boy am I looking forward to his book on early Disneyland coming out next year that is packed with previously unknown information) and co-editor of the Disney History Institute website, Todd James Pierce, compiled a lengthy list that I thought many of you would enjoy.

Notable Jewish Artists and Executives Employed by Disney
    Fritz Freleng Animator (dating back to the Alice and Oswald cartoons)
    William Banks Levy Merchandising Representative in London (dating back to 1930)
    Dick Huemer - Story / Animator (dating back to the early 1930s)
    Kay Kamen - Lead Merchandising / Licensing Representative (dating back to 1932)
    George Kamen Head of Merchandising in Europe (dating a back to the mid-1930s)
    Robert Hartmann Representative in the Nordics (dating back to 1934)
    Hal Horne Editor of Mickey Mouse Magazine, Publicist (dating back to 1935)
    Suzanne Claire Kaufmann Disney Office in Paris (dating back to the mid-1930s)
    Joe Grant - Story / Artist (dating back to Snow White)
    Otto Englander Story (dating back to Snow White)
    Art Babbitt - Animator (dating back to Snow White)
    Dave Hilberman- Animator (dating back to Snow White)
    Harry Tytle - Production Manager / Producer (dating back to Snow White)
    Marc Davis Animator / WED / Walt Disney Imagineering (dating back to Snow White)
    Berny Wolf Animator (dating back to 1938)
    Jules Engel Layout / Animator (dating back to 1938)
    Zack Schwartz Art Director / Layout (dating back to the late 1930s)
    Dave Detiege - Writer (who also married into the extended Disney family)
    Ted Berman Story (dating back to 1940)
    Irving Ludwig Film Distribution / Publicist (dating back to 1940)
    Mel Shaw Story / Animator (Bambi)
    Maurice Rapf Writer (So Dear to my Heart, Song of the South)
    Armand Bigle Disney Representative in Europe (dating back to 1947)
    Leo F. Samuels Head of Buena Vista Distribution (early 1950s)
    Lou Apett Animator (1950s)
    Ed Solomon Animator (1950s)
    Richard and Robert Sherman - Composer and Lyricist (Mary Poppins, etc.)
    Mel Levin - Composer and Lyricist
    Marty Sklar - WED / Walt Disney Imagineering
    Sid Miller - Director (Mickey Mouse Club)
    Doreen Tracey Mouseketeer
    Roberta Shore Actress (Mickey Mouse Club serials, The Shaggy Dog)
    William Lava Composer (Zorro)
    Larry Orenstein Songwriter, Scriptwriter (Mickey Mouse Club)
    Richard Fleischer - Director (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea)
    David Swift Writer (Pollyanna, The Parent Trap)

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I want to thank you for these articles. I enjoyed reading them very much and I really appreciate all this information.

Thanks, again!!

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Share the Facts!

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    I want to thank you for these articles. I enjoyed reading them very much and I really appreciate all this information.

Thanks, again!!
    Thank you for such kind words and all the others who either posted comments or wrote to me directly. The point of the articles is to get the facts out there for all of you to use. So the next time someone says "everybody knows he was anti-Semitic or whatever", you no longer have to just say "No, he wasn't!" but can answer with some hard facts that can't be disputed.

Again, the Walt of 1930 was different than the Walt of 1960. He grew in awareness and sensitivity even though he was still pretty good in the beginning. I don't think we can blame people for smoking back in 1950 because today we have realized that doing so will cause health problems. Everyone smoked all the time everywhere. In the same way, it is hard to hold people accountable for standards that we have today. I do think Walt does not get enough credit for trying to be more progressive than his contemporaries. He wasn't perfect. He still made slips. He didn't always filter what he said. When he was angry or in pain, he might slip but he didn't do it consistently and I think we can see by his actions how he truly felt.

Great articles! they are going into my bookmarks so they can be ready whenever I see some nonsense about Walt crop up on Facebook or wherever!

Blog Entries
    Thanks again, Jim!

Few Americans have made as many people as happy as Walt Disney. He joins Ben Franklin in a small group of people I most admire. He died at 66, but made me wish, "If only he had lived to create his dreams for another decade."

--Tom Sinsky

Blog Entries

I really enjoyed these articles, Jim. Thanks for doing what I know was a ton of research and sharing.

Steve

This is the kind of thing one has to expect when voters put a sick ideology in charge of the country. It emboldens those of the same ideology, so that they make stupid statements like this, hoping to impress the other nutjobs. That's just how it is. Thanks to Jim for making the effort.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bams50 View Post
    This is the kind of thing one has to expect when voters put a sick ideology in charge of the country. It emboldens those of the same ideology, so that they make stupid statements like this, hoping to impress the other nutjobs. . .
    No need to overgeneralize. One of the greatest film actors in history screwed up about Walt Disney.

Stuff like this can happen when some entertainers write their own material.
    See & hear a Katherine Hepburn adlibbed speech at the Oscars when presenting a special award to a director,
    and Adrien Brody forcing a kiss on Halle Berry,
    and Jacqueline Bisset at the most recent Golden Globes,
    and Ted Nugent and Victoria Jackson when their lips move.

Custom Door Stop and Place Holder RobotMonkey's Avatar

Ugh. It irritates me every time I see uniformed tripe that only seeks to advance a particular agenda. For instance:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5036369.html

A Huffington Post article on "Five Historic Icons Who Had A Reputation for Being Racist." Guess who gets mentioned? Read through it if you can stomach the poorly written and researched material.

"...a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring."

----Mark Twain