Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Never Bored On-Board

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Never Bored On-Board

Never Bored On-Board by Adrienne Krock

The Parenting Panel shares their families' favorite activities on board the ships of the Disney Cruise Line.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I have been wanting to go on a cruise for a while now and see that Disney cruises leave from Vancouver now which is awesome. So how does the dining work? Is everything really free? That seems too good to be true.

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Alice, Alice in Wonderland

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

Yes, most everything dining wise is "free" or included in the price at least! The only exceptions are alcohol, fancy coffees, smoothies. Sodas are free during meals and at the drink station- you pay for sodas at the bar. There are a few pay snacks, like at the movie theater and through room service, but basically all food in included.

Dining is assigned on a rotation at dinner time, so you can eat at all the main restaurants. Your servers rotate with you so you have the same wait staff each night. If dining room dining isn't your thing, you can eat at a few quick serve places, buffets and other table service through out the ship. Room service is also free- excluding tip.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    Yes, most everything dining wise is "free" or included in the price at least! The only exceptions are alcohol, fancy coffees, smoothies. Sodas are free during meals and at the drink station- you pay for sodas at the bar. There are a few pay snacks, like at the movie theater and through room service, but basically all food in included.
    And, I haven't cruised (yet) but - can't you purchase some beverage packages to include beverages on board?

I've also heard of people bringing some beverages with them and that's allowed?
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    And, I haven't cruised (yet) but - can't you purchase some beverage packages to include beverages on board?

We haven't done it since our first cruise in 2000 since drinks are included now, but that cruise stopped at Key West and we went onshore and purchased a few 12 packs of soda and hauled them to the ship and stored them in our stateroom.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    They do have wine and water packages available on board. Thing is - the water on the ship is really not all that bad. (Better than the parks, thats for sure.)
    You can bring alcohol on board, but if you open it, you have to consume it on board. Also, if you want to bring your bottle of wine to a restaurant, there is a corkage fee.

Personally, I let my kids get a couple smoothies throughout the trip and that seems to satisfy them.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    You can bring alcohol on board, but if you open it, you have to consume it on board.
    Oh, I could handle that. Hmm... that's giving me ideas.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries

One last blurb on the topic: Linky to DCL guidelines on bringing alcohol on board.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

That is just crazy. If I would have known food was included we would have cruised a long time ago. I just always thought it was such an expensive thing to do but once you figure you are paying for 7 days of food in that price I'm just floored by how inexpensive it really is. I looked at a 7 night trip out of Vancouver for my husband, Kiki and me and it is only $3800. That's about what we would spend going to DL for the same amount of time and we don't have to fly anywhere. So I get how dinner works but what about breakfast and lunch, and snacks for that matter? Do you get vouchers or just show up for lunch somewhere?

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Alice, Alice in Wonderland

Blog Entries

For breakfast, and lunch there are a few different options to choose from. You just show up. No vouchers. Heck, you can eat 24 hours a day - its all included, even room service.

Heck, one time I decided to do lunch at one of the sit down places and I told the server I could not make up my mind between two items.
    He brought both!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    For breakfast, and lunch there are a few different options to choose from. You just show up. No vouchers. Heck, you can eat 24 hours a day - its all included, even room service.

Heck, one time I decided to do lunch at one of the sit down places and I told the server I could not make up my mind between two items.
    He brought both!
    Consider my mind blown. Food is one of my favorite parts about vacation. Now it's time to go talk to my husband.

Blog Entries

You go on as passengers... you leave as cargo.

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

There are a ton of options for breakfast and lunch.... and you can hit them all in the same day if you want! There are 2 or 3 quick service places up on the pool deck with pizza, burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches etc. There is a buffet that is open for breakfast and lunch and then converts to a menu dinner table service, but one you can come to at any time, not just your assigned rotational time. We found decent munchies in the sports bar towards the end of our trip last year when we went for Sports Trivia one day.

Since you will have Kiki, there are coolers in the rooms (talking about Wonder here, since that cruises out of Vancouver). They aren't fridges, but coolers that stay decently cold with an ice bucket inside. We would grab a few milk cartons from the buffet in the morning and store them in there for our kids evening and morning milks. This worked really well. But, buffet breakfast was the only place, besides room service to get it in the carton. They did have it at the drink station (along with juice, sodas and hot chocolate) but then you had to put it straight in the cup, which worked too.

And.... my kids LOVED the nursery. They were 17 and 34 months when we cruised. This was fabulous! It gave us some free time to enjoy the ship and some of the shows. The staff was amazing. I can't say enough good things about our experience with the nursery!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On my last cruise, one of the people at our table had escargot appetizers. We were second seating. They obviously had leftovers, so the brought him another plate of them. So at that point, I didn't feel bad asking if I could try one, and I had my first snail!
    A table near us had a number of kids, so towards the end of the cruise, they had the kid beverages on the table before they arrived.

Hmmm, maybe I should schedule a cruise after the marathon...

Cathy

On the Celebrity cruise I won, there were a couple of "signature" dining restaurants, that charged for the seating (we were told they weren't charging for the food but for the reservation or some such wording.). Same thing on a Disney cruise? Personally, we don't drink that much, I don't drink soda any more, so we found beverage packages (again not Disney) were a higher cost than just paying for our cocktails out of pocket. And, I don't remember if it was Gusman or Dan that mentioned that water onboard had to match US standard, so we just drank the water onboard.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Palo on the Wonder andMagic is the only restaurant with a charge.

And they have desalinators on the ships for drinking water, so it takes all the yucky tasting stuff (and yucky bad for you stuff) out.

Cathy