Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: That's My Opinion: Let's Bring 'em Back

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

That's My Opinion: Let's Bring 'em Back

Let's Bring 'em Back by Steve Russo

A few thoughts on bringing back some extinct attractions.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

I would love to see the Comedy Warehouse return, either at Boardwalk or a part of Disney Springs. I don't see much point in staying late at Disney Springs if you aren't watching a film or Cirque Du Soleil so I think bringing a comedy show back would be a great way to have something to do after dinner.

Yeah, comedy warehouse was fun, but my first vote would be for the Adventurer's Club. As for the props, weren't some of them re-purposed in other parks? (I am thinking of Tokyo, perhaps?)

TheKaz
    ESPN MIS

Oh, yeah - almost forgot. I miss Food Rocks!

TheKaz
    ESPN MIS

Comedy Warehouse/Who Wants to Be A Millionaire/Adventurer's Club all filled an important niche at WDW - they were shows that were different every time, and were much loved by repeat visitors. They also would be very easy (and fairly cheap, I would think!) to house in new locations, and I love the locations suggested. They could also come back today in their old form and be as enjoyable as ever for today's crowds (even though Millionaire is largely off the air, its classic game show format is something everyone can relate to), and there's no reason this shouldn't happen.

Wonders of Life/Odyssey/Image Works all share a common trait - they were pulled out for no real reason, and never replaced (or in the case of Image Works, were replaced with something horribly dated in Captain EO). While a return of the old attractions (Cranium Command was always a personal favorite), each of which had a great theme and enhanced the park, would be great, there's no doubt that each would need to return in a very changed form to be popular today. I wouldn't have a problem with this at all - a high tech simulator would work great following Body Wars basic script, and an update of Cranium Command using an updated script and stars would have the potential to be very good. Odyssey could return as an updated restaurant, while Image Works could take advantage of today's tech to carry out it's theme. However, with the exception of Odyssey, I suspect that recreating these things would be very time and cost-intensive, and consider them unlikely - it's far more likely WDW would start from scratch and fill the locations with totally new attractions. I'd be fine with that - ANYTHING is better than the nothing that is there now.

A Comedy show would seem like a good idea for more adult entertainment at Downtown Disney. It would be the same situation for the Adventurer's Club. Obviously, Disney closed them for lack of business. Disney is not one for lacking of business acumen. Such show venues like them cannot survive alone, but perhaps as a combo facility.

I recommend a facility that combines the Adventurer's Club style bar with lounge musical acts and improv, a ticketed stage venue with headliners and improv acts from the Adventurer's Club, and live musical acts on the stage with dancing.

I went to the Adventurer's Club once and found the venue to be off-putting. I thought it was thoroughly mismanaged. The wait staff took too long to order drinks. The facility was over-crowded. The acts were spaced much too far apart to enjoy and you don't see it easily from any vantage point. Lastly, "Kungaloosh" is such a geeky slogan. Horrible. I know people love it, but it shouldn't cater to such a narrow demographic. It is almost a religious experience. If you don't get it, you never will and many don't, thus its closure.

Imagination - Stop with this. There isn't enough Imagination in this facility. It is just sad. To say people need imagination when it is lacking in the ride and exhibits. It should be about something. Clearly, it is more an educational exhibit (gone wrong) with a bad ride.

Odyssey Restaurant - I just use it for the bathroom facilities. Turning it back into a restaurant will cannibalize food spending at World Showcase. I don't see how they can support ALL these restaurants in Epcot without forcing the closure of others. Thus this restaurant will never return.

Wonders of Life - The only reason to bring it back is the closed Body Wars ride. I recommend they bring back the building as "The Incredibles" ride. This will allow Disney to use super heroes without touching Marvel, which they are legally prevented.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire Play It! - Maybe not. Oh well. If you really want it, it can always come back. Or maybe not.

BTW: I heard the props from the Adventurer's Club are probably in storage, but many went to the new tiki bars at Disneyland Hotel and elsewhere (Trader Sam).

The only one I can't agree with you at ALL on is HISTA. That had to be the most boring, poorly written and badly paced 3D show I've ever seen. I'd watch Captain EO any day over that. At least it has music and dancing; staples of Disney.

Please bring back animation to the animation studios in DHS. With the computer generated animation, nowadays, this should be a no brainer! Why can't we see a cartoon being developed? Also, bring back taping of shows i.e. Wheel of Fortune anyone? Could Disney take one of their Disney channels shows and be able to witness how a show is developed, made, so on...Could we have a radio studio for Radio Disney there? These seem like easy additions, without much rennovation. IMHO I personally feel that DHS has lost it's direction.

The Comedy Warehouse was one of our favorite places we visited on our honeymoon back in 1991!! Improv is one of our favorites!! I wish we went to the adventurer's club. Wow, that would have been fun! Also, bring back Figment and the Dreamfinder....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo996 View Post
    A Comedy show would seem like a good idea for more adult entertainment at Downtown Disney. It would be the same situation for the Adventurer's Club. Obviously, Disney closed them for lack of business. Disney is not one for lacking of business acumen. Such show venues like them cannot survive alone, but perhaps as a combo facility.

I recommend a facility that combines the Adventurer's Club style bar with lounge musical acts and improv, a ticketed stage venue with headliners and improv acts from the Adventurer's Club, and live musical acts on the stage with dancing.

I went to the Adventurer's Club once and found the venue to be off-putting. I thought it was thoroughly mismanaged. The wait staff took too long to order drinks. The facility was over-crowded. The acts were spaced much too far apart to enjoy and you don't see it easily from any vantage point. Lastly, "Kungaloosh" is such a geeky slogan. Horrible. I know people love it, but it shouldn't cater to such a narrow demographic. It is almost a religious experience. If you don't get it, you never will and many don't, thus its closure...
    Jimbo, I understand where you are coming from, but I'd probably argue that the "lack of business" part you mention probably applied to Pleasure Island as a whole, rather than these two specific clubs. I seem to remember that the Comedy Club was full for just about every show, while the Adventurer's Club was usually full. They were definitely the two most crowded venues on Pleasure island. I think they could come back in their exact same form and be very popular (and, more importantly from Disney's perspective, profitable) today. The only question would be what their business model would be - at PI, they were part of a hard-ticketed site, which is (along with alcohol sales) how they survived until PI closed. I'd suspect they'd have to charge some sort of cover charge to be profitable as stand-alone entities, which I don't think would be an issue at all for a Comedy Club especially.

The Adventurer's Club might be a little more questionable -I seem to recall a lot of people just peeking in for a few minutes, never really getting what was going on, and just moving on. It worked as part of a ticket for several clubs, but would the very vocal hardcore "regulars" of the club be enough to support it as a standalone destination with a separate cover charge to get in? Not quite sure...I suspect the answer is "yes", but I can somewhat understand Disney not having enough confidence to put money towards this idea
    Last edited by jms1969; 08-28-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnels Family View Post
    Please bring back animation to the animation studios in DHS. With the computer generated animation, nowadays, this should be a no brainer! Why can't we see a cartoon being developed? Also, bring back taping of shows i.e. Wheel of Fortune anyone? Could Disney take one of their Disney channels shows and be able to witness how a show is developed, made, so on...Could we have a radio studio for Radio Disney there? These seem like easy additions, without much rennovation. IMHO I personally feel that DHS has lost it's direction....
    Couldn't agree more...MGM Studios when it first opened was an exciting place where you could see just about anything. You could see shows being taped, animated movies being made, and run into TV and Movie Personalities on the tour on a semi-regular basis as they were working on-site. DHS today has none of this excitement, and the "Streetmosphere" players, who used to fit right in, are still entertaining but actually serve as a rather depressing reminder of what used to be. The backlot tour is a boring mess of props used in other locations, mostly for movies made a long time ago, and the Great Movie Ride has suffered from 25 years with no significant update. DHS is a park with some of the best rides at WDW (especially ToT and Toy Story), but no heart. Sadly, I don't think even the long-rumored "Star Wars Land" or "Cars Land" are going to change that unless there is a conscious effort made to bring some "life" back to the theme of the park as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by jms1969 View Post
    Jimbo, I understand where you are coming from, but I'd probably argue that the "lack of business" part you mention probably applied to Pleasure Island as a whole, rather than these two specific clubs. I seem to remember that the Comedy Club was full for just about every show, while the Adventurer's Club was usually full. They were definitely the two most crowded venues on Pleasure island. I think they could come back in their exact same form and be very popular (and, more importantly from Disney's perspective, profitable) today. The only question would be what their business model would be - at PI, they were part of a hard-ticketed site, which is (along with alcohol sales) how they survived until PI closed. I'd suspect they'd have to charge some sort of cover charge to be profitable as stand-alone entities, which I don't think would be an issue at all for a Comedy Club especially.

The Adventurer's Club might be a little more questionable -I seem to recall a lot of people just peeking in for a few minutes, never really getting what was going on, and just moving on. It worked as part of a ticket for several clubs, but would there be enough people to support it as a standalone destination with a separate cover charge to get in? Not quite sure...
    I agree the Comedy Club will be more able to survive as a standalone business than the Adventurer's Club, but I argue that they can combine their operations to have a better result.

Merely being full is not enough to run a business. In fact, the clubs at PI were actually too small to accomodate the crowds. They are leaving money at the table when the guests cannot enter to enjoy the entertainment. They cannot buy drinks. They have no place to sit.

I do agree that there should be a cover charge, but this is only when entertainment is part of the package. Cover charges work best if it is a Dance Club, not a Comedy Club or the Adventurer's Club. The Comedy Club needs to be a hard ticket event, thus the bar does double duty to serve the guest in a separate venue. I think the Adventurer's Club should be part of an improv act as another hard ticket event. Then after the show, the guests can mingle with the actors at the bar area. They can take photos, get autographs, and perhaps get some improv skits. I just hate the "Adventurer's Club" as a standalone place. It is boring and too insider.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would like to see the Adventurers Club brought back. Aren't they making a Trader Sam's in the Polynesian? The only other one I possibly would want to see is the Comedy Warehouse, but I at least have the Laugh Floor in MK for some fun.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKaz View Post
    Oh, yeah - almost forgot. I miss Food Rocks!
    Really? Most folks go back to Kitchen Kabaret but I'm with you on Food Rocks.
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spectromen View Post
    The only one I can't agree with you at ALL on is HISTA. That had to be the most boring, poorly written and badly paced 3D show I've ever seen. I'd watch Captain EO any day over that. At least it has music and dancing; staples of Disney.
    And that's what makes the World go round. I'd probably say those things about Captain EO... but we can't agree on everything.
    Steve

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

Loved the article. I suppose that the Yesterland Attractions at Disneyland that would be able to come back is probably a small list.

I totally agree with Cranium Command - that was a favorite of ours for years. But my suggestion is to create the same storyline but use animated characters so everyone can recognize them. I think Disney characters would be great to replace the human characters from the original.