Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: My Disney Top 5 - Magical Spots in the Magic Kingdom

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: My Disney Top 5 - Magical Spots in the Magic Kingdom

My Disney Top 5 - Magical Spots in the Magic Kingdom by Chris Barry

Chris Barry returns with another Disney Top 5 list.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by MousePlanet AutoPoster View Post
    My Disney Top 5 - Magical Spots in the Magic Kingdom by Chris Barry

Chris Barry returns with another Disney Top 5 list.

Read it here!
    What a wonderful article! Like many others, my first trip to Disney World and the Magic Kingdom was a frenzied blur. But, I did manage to slow down and enjoy the waterfront in Frontierland. It was a wonderful moment in my vacation. We don't get ibis where I live in California so to see so many at one time strolling around Frontierland was a real treat. When I return to the World in 2013, I will take this list with me and remember to smell the roses and slow down a bit. Thanks so much for the suggestions, Chris.

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberta618 View Post
    What a wonderful article! Like many others, my first trip to Disney World and the Magic Kingdom was a frenzied blur. But, I did manage to slow down and enjoy the waterfront in Frontierland. It was a wonderful moment in my vacation. We don't get ibis where I live in California so to see so many at one time strolling around Frontierland was a real treat. When I return to the World in 2013, I will take this list with me and remember to smell the roses and slow down a bit. Thanks so much for the suggestions, Chris.
    Thank you Roberta. The waterfront in Frontierland is always a surprise isn't it? The main drag of this land can be so congested and just a few feet away...empty and quiet. There are no ibis here in New York either and to see them everywhere when you're in Walt Disney World is always very cool, I agree. Thanks for "bringing me with you" in 2013!

Chris

Great article again Chris - you always seem to hit upon something "different" with so many of your Top 5's & frequently manage to inject a little genuine magic into an otherwise regular day.

When I got to thinking about my own "private" little spots I invariably linked a place to a particular time of day - I wonder if this is something that others also find ?

Ok, in terms of personal magical spots I'd have to say there's something truly enchanting about taking 10 minutes out of an afternoon to eat an ice cream or cookie & soda in the small street "off" Main Street - I think it's Market Street ? Last year on Honeymoon we did exactly that & my new bride noticed a window display of none other than a bridal theme which was a nice touch. In the same manner as your own Top 5, it's another of them beautiful little spots where one can escape the crowds & become totally captivated by a place & overall sense of atmosphere that only Disney can truly create when it comes to theme parks.

Another favourite of mine has always been "The Enchanted Grove" in Fantasyland near Tomorrowland. I understand it's now called "Chesire Cafe" which I truly don't like - it reminds me too much of a nearby county here in the UK & subsequently evokes a far less magical notion of relaxing with a cookie & frozen lemonade around late afternoon so it will always remain "The Enchanted Grove" to me.

I'm personally delighted to announce that a relatively recent addition to my own list has been created by my wife. I've been heading to Florida, Anaheim & Paris for over 30 years & whilst my wife has grown to love trips to the Disney Parks, it's far more "my" passion but as recently as the last few trips to both Stateside parks, it's become tradition to grab a portion of chilli-cheese fries & soda in Frontierland & settle early for a spot for an evening parade. To many it may seem far from magical but with the sun setting & the anticipation of a night-time parade & a few post-parade rides still left in us, this has become a favourite "spot" so to speak.

One of my other personal magical places is very close to one of yours - Sleepy Hollow, just off the main route in Liberty Square. Even during parade time, this spot can be a lovely little haven where you can take in beautiful views toward the castle in one direction whilst looking over your shoulder at the main street - wll the while enjoying a funnel cake (notice how food permeates this thread !)

Last but one is Tomorrowland Terrace. I used to love this area before it became a noodle station & was perhaps my favourite "dinner" spot to grab a snack whilst the sun went down. Similar to the above you could look in one direction to the futuristic lights of tomorrow or stare ahead to the stunning castle vista. We always managed to grab a quiet spot away from the majority of diners & I felt like I was in my own little slice of the Magic Kingdom where I often found myself thinking wistful things about being back "home" in my favourite place on earth.

Finally I have to go predictable ... smack bang in front of the castle mid-fireworks. Yes, it's crowded & once or twice it's actually been rather unpleasant (don't mention the time it was so busy we just got herded to Fantasyland & our hot dogs got cold & missed the show itself from trying to find an alternative perfect spot) but on the whole - there's little to compare to being centre-front of the castle when Walt's vision is perfectly captured in simply the most glorious fireworks display & setting imaginable. It's perhaps top of many other people's lists but there's a reason for it - it's truly magicial & manages to evoke emotion in us that we very rarely get elsewhere, if anywhere on earth.

Enough waffling from me but thanks Chris for taking me back to the Happiest place on Earth for this lunch break !

Disney Stuff/My Disney Top 5
    MousePlanet Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEO7 View Post
    Great article again Chris - you always seem to hit upon something "different" with so many of your Top 5's & frequently manage to inject a little genuine magic into an otherwise regular day.

When I got to thinking about my own "private" little spots I invariably linked a place to a particular time of day - I wonder if this is something that others also find ?

Ok, in terms of personal magical spots I'd have to say there's something truly enchanting about taking 10 minutes out of an afternoon to eat an ice cream or cookie & soda in the small street "off" Main Street - I think it's Market Street ? Last year on Honeymoon we did exactly that & my new bride noticed a window display of none other than a bridal theme which was a nice touch. In the same manner as your own Top 5, it's another of them beautiful little spots where one can escape the crowds & become totally captivated by a place & overall sense of atmosphere that only Disney can truly create when it comes to theme parks.

Another favourite of mine has always been "The Enchanted Grove" in Fantasyland near Tomorrowland. I understand it's now called "Chesire Cafe" which I truly don't like - it reminds me too much of a nearby county here in the UK & subsequently evokes a far less magical notion of relaxing with a cookie & frozen lemonade around late afternoon so it will always remain "The Enchanted Grove" to me.

I'm personally delighted to announce that a relatively recent addition to my own list has been created by my wife. I've been heading to Florida, Anaheim & Paris for over 30 years & whilst my wife has grown to love trips to the Disney Parks, it's far more "my" passion but as recently as the last few trips to both Stateside parks, it's become tradition to grab a portion of chilli-cheese fries & soda in Frontierland & settle early for a spot for an evening parade. To many it may seem far from magical but with the sun setting & the anticipation of a night-time parade & a few post-parade rides still left in us, this has become a favourite "spot" so to speak.

One of my other personal magical places is very close to one of yours - Sleepy Hollow, just off the main route in Liberty Square. Even during parade time, this spot can be a lovely little haven where you can take in beautiful views toward the castle in one direction whilst looking over your shoulder at the main street - wll the while enjoying a funnel cake (notice how food permeates this thread !)

Last but one is Tomorrowland Terrace. I used to love this area before it became a noodle station & was perhaps my favourite "dinner" spot to grab a snack whilst the sun went down. Similar to the above you could look in one direction to the futuristic lights of tomorrow or stare ahead to the stunning castle vista. We always managed to grab a quiet spot away from the majority of diners & I felt like I was in my own little slice of the Magic Kingdom where I often found myself thinking wistful things about being back "home" in my favourite place on earth.

Finally I have to go predictable ... smack bang in front of the castle mid-fireworks. Yes, it's crowded & once or twice it's actually been rather unpleasant (don't mention the time it was so busy we just got herded to Fantasyland & our hot dogs got cold & missed the show itself from trying to find an alternative perfect spot) but on the whole - there's little to compare to being centre-front of the castle when Walt's vision is perfectly captured in simply the most glorious fireworks display & setting imaginable. It's perhaps top of many other people's lists but there's a reason for it - it's truly magicial & manages to evoke emotion in us that we very rarely get elsewhere, if anywhere on earth.

Enough waffling from me but thanks Chris for taking me back to the Happiest place on Earth for this lunch break !

Hey there Captain,

Thanks so much for the kind words. They really are appreciated. My goal is always to inject a little magic into a reader's day, so it's very gratifying to hear when I've been successful. I also always love having readers abroad! These are some great spots you have picked out and I definitely agree to the whole idea of places being linked to a certain time of day. Mornings remind of town square as we enter the park for the day and the rose garden will forever mean more to me at night than in the day. I also love being in Tomorrowland at dusk as the lights begin to turn on and the whole place transforms.

There's nothing predictable about your number one spot. While we always watch Wishes from the rose garden...right in front of the castle is certainly one of the most magical spots anywhere.

Thanks for the great response!

Chris