Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

2. # ADS

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    They are cute but like many, I'm rather underwhelmed with the designs which is a bummer especially with the 'wow' from the Disney Paris medals this year. And there are a LOT of very unhappy Dumbo Double Dares who wanted that Dumbo medal.

Hopefully they will be more of a 'wow' in person.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

I think they're ok. I actually really like 10k medal (luckily, it's the only one I signed up for). I agree that the Paris medals were much nicer; I feel like the medals here on the west coast haven't been as nice as some of the older designs for a bit now. I've been disappointed in a lot of them.

I also really think they should start being more clear on the themes before they open registration, so less people will be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    They are cute but like many, I'm rather underwhelmed with the designs which is a bummer especially with the 'wow' from the Disney Paris medals this year. And there are a LOT of very unhappy Dumbo Double Dares who wanted that Dumbo medal.

Hopefully they will be more of a 'wow' in person.
    I like the Pixar Double Dare medal a lot.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I like the Pixar Double Dare medal a lot.
    Yeah, that's my favorite. I think it's really pretty. I will just have to admire my husband's medal.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Modified Disneyland HM Course for 2017

Newly USATF-certified 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon course (effective 7/29/17) can be viewed here: http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/...seID=CA17050RS

Most recent previous iteration of the course in 2015, for reference: http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/...seID=CA15058RS

The only substantive change has been removal of the Santa Ana River Trail (SART) bikeway between miles 8 and 10 from the Honda Center to the Big A. I'm guessing rD will cite the recently initiated OC Public Works 'maintenance and/or flood control project activities' affecting that particular area as the reason for the course change, but it probably has as much or more to do with the growing number of homeless encampments along the SART. Even though existing encampments along the part of the bikeway on the (former) HM course have been relocated to the other side of the river by city and/or county agencies, managing that stretch of the SART to ensure runner safety is probably something the APD and race management would rather not deal with.

Last edited by Footloose; 08-04-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Footloose View Post
    Newly USATF-certified 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon course (effective 7/29/17) can be viewed here: http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/...seID=CA17050RS

Most recent previous iteration of the course in 2015, for reference: http://www.usatf.org/events/courses/...seID=CA15058RS

The only substantive change has been removal of the Santa Ana River Trail (SART) bikeway between miles 8 and 10 from the Honda Center to the Big A. I'm guessing rD will cite the recently initiated OC Public Works 'maintenance and/or flood control project activities' affecting that particular area as the reason for the course change, but it probably has as much or more to do with the growing number of homeless encampments along the SART. Even though existing encampments along that stretch have been relocated to the other side of the river by city and/or county agencies, managing that stretch of the SART to ensure runner safety is probably something the APD and race management would rather not deal with.
    interesting as this also may affect the Super Heroes Half.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    interesting as this also may affect the Super Heroes Half.
    Good point . . . I guess time will tell!

The largest difference I could tell (as far as locations run) was that you no longer run the Santa Ana river trail, which the Super Hero didn't run through last year (we got plenty of time in the Angel's parking lot though!)

Blog Entries
    Event Guide is available for your online reading pleasure.

Hopefully waivers and corrals won't be far behind.

Sure miss the PDF / hard copy guide versions...
    RunningFool

Can we find out our bib numbers before packet pickup or do we have to wait until we pick the packets up? I'm just curious. I know I will be in one of the last corrals, just wondering which one. Getting very excited and nervous!

Quote Originally Posted by buffy24 View Post
    Can we find out our bib numbers before packet pickup or do we have to wait until we pick the packets up? I'm just curious. I know I will be in one of the last corrals, just wondering which one. Getting very excited and nervous!
    You'll have the bib number on your waiver. Corral assignments (ONLY for the half) will be released around the same time as the waivers. Corrals are not revealed ahead of time for the 5K and 10K (even if you're doing the double dare. usually you'll be around the same as your half assignment but you might not be in the exact same corral for both)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buffy24 View Post
    Oh yes, you'll see a flurry of excitement when the waivers and corrals are posted on the runDisney site for download. You'll see your bib # on the waiver and then can confirm which corral you are in by that number. Keep in mind that only half marathon corral placements are known prior to actual bib pickup - the 5k and 10k won't know until they see the corral letter on the actual bib.

You will have a blast - keep us posted on how you do!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Waiver link (which at this time is not working) and corrals (DDD and Half) are up on the runDisney site!

RunningFool

Corral G for us, which I am totally happy with. I thought maybe we would be in the last one, since it is my first Half (my son's too). I'm down 22 pounds since the end of February and hope to be down a few more by then. It's a work in progress, but I am very much enjoying the walking and don't intend to stop any time soon. Maybe by the next Half I sign up for I will be able to do some jogging

Most likely C, but could be B.

There's always hope.

Last edited by SteveMartin; 08-10-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Reluctant Runner
    1st Place Advanced: Ready Player One, Spring 2015 =====Now Masters=====
    2nd Place Advanced: Sugar Rush, Fall 2014
    1st Place Basic: Deuces Wild, Spring 2014
    1st Place Basic: Mouseadventure 365, Fall 2013

Blog Entries

Rumor has it that the wonderful car displays may not be returning this year as their comp/ discount ticket opportunity disappeared. Similar to what happened to the Red Hat Ladies who were very, very missed during Tinker Bell Half. Fingers crossed this is just a rumor...

RunningFool

Blog Entries

If you haven't been monitoring the Anaheim weather reports, it's unfortunately looking like the standard HOT and potentially humid Disneyland Half Marathon race weekend. While temps may change a bit, be prepared for:

Friday high of 92 / low 71 with 44% humidity

Saturday high of 90 / low 71 with 46% humidity

Sunday high of 88 / low 71 with 50% humidity

One of the big issues with the heat is the roads will continue to hold the warmth so even starting at 5:00 a.m. will feel even warmer than it actually is. Here's a few words of wisdom from Jeff Galloway:

You cannot run as fast when the temperature rises above 60F/14C. If you slow down 30 seconds a mile for every 5F increase above 60F, you can be the one who is finishing strong, passing other runners at the end. For every second you run too fast during the first half of a race on a hot day, expect to run 10 seconds slower at the end.

Unless you have been training in the heat (yes, I'm talking to you WDW runners!), slow it down and take a little extra time.

RunningFool

Will Mouse Planet be doing the signs during the race again? I loved seeing my sign at the half way point. Totally motivated me to keep going!

Thanks!

I was just coming to check too I've loved the signs!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I've been wondering that too.

My DH and running partner for the past 10 yrs in this race just broke his toe BADLY, so he's out and I'm on my own for this one. I'm more than a little sad but I'm running for the both of us now.
    I'm a little worried about the hot weather too but at least we've been training in warm weather.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So today at CHOCwalk I saw pics of SO MANY CHARACTERS. Let's see if they come out for the races this weekend.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by federalgirl View Post
    Will Mouse Planet be doing the signs during the race again? I loved seeing my sign at the half way point. Totally motivated me to keep going!

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khiori View Post
    I was just coming to check too I've loved the signs!
    Quote Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
    I've been wondering that too.
    YEP!!!! CLICK ME!!!

We're also looking for non-runners to volunteer at the Cheer station. If you (or your DH with a broken toe...) are sitting this one out, consider joining us at the cheer station so we can provide lots of moral support to the runners braving this heat wave.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Excessive heat warning has been issued through Sept. 2. Not sure how that will effect the races but thought people might want to know.

Just keep trying, trying, trying.....
    I did it! Woo Hoo Star Wars 10k completed
    Disneyland Half Weekend 10k "I made it~ woo hoo!"
    Yippee! Another Star Wars 10K Finished with style and a pr ::happy dance::