Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Wheelchairs and ECVs at Epcot

Wheelchairs and ECVs at Epcot

My elderly in-laws are joining us on a Disney trip this August, and we are staying at WDW Beach Club. It is our first time at any Epcot resort (we are usually Poly or Contemporary folks). We love the idea of walking into Epcot through the International Gateway, but I am wondering: are there wheelchair or ECV rentals near that entrance, too? There's just no way our elders are going to be able to walk from the Beach Club, through the Gateway, around the lake, through Future World, and all the way to the front entrance of Epcot for an ECV.

Any thoughts or experiences with this?

First WDW trip: 1973 -- Last visit: August 2008 -- Polynesian five times - Contemporary twice -- Port Orleans once - Beach Club once - Golf Resort (way back when) once - GOING BACK TO WDW THIS YEAR! Wilderness Lodge Villas

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I recall correctly, I do not believe there are ECV rentals available there. However, do you think they would need an ECV elsewhere as well?

If you think you will need an ECV for more than just internal park usage, you might want to take a look at a thread of mine from the recent past. I mention that because the scooters you rent at the parks can only be used at the park you rented it from. (You can take your receipt for that day and use it to get another scooter at another park, subject to availability.)

The interesting thing is that you might think that you would only use it in the park but even getting to/from transportation or getting from point A to point B at the resorts can include long walks. If that is the case than getting a ECV from a outside vendor will be a good value.

Hope that helps.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I second Chris' recommendation to consider using a 3rd-party rental company to get a chair for the length of your stay. There is a rental point outside the International Gateway, but the walk from the Beach Club is longer than your in-laws may be comfortable with.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    There is a rental point outside the International Gateway...
    I was unaware... good to know.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    I was unaware... good to know.
    Now you're making me question myself... off to double check my maps!

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Friend of Figment

Actually, the EVC Rental point is just inside the IG, since you have to be in the park to do the rental. Strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs are availabel immediately to the left after you come through the IG turnstiles. The big problem is they don't have many and can easily run out of them.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.