Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Fastpass quirk experienced 1st hand

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fastpass quirk experienced 1st hand

so yesterday, April 7th, we were at Disneyland. Just 2 of us. We were trying to balance our Fastpass rides with actual attractions. I went to get a fastpass for Autopia since my son wanted to go back to the Westside to ride.

The standby time was 30 min - but the return time for fastpass was 6:05pm. That was at 3:45 in the afternoon. I thought it odd but grabbed them anyway. I had to wait until 5:50 to get another fastpass.

We came back around 7:30 - and the wait time was now 40 min and the fastpass return was 9:30. So we went to the attraction - and the fastpass line rivaled the standby. Our total wait was 30 minutes after entering the line. and the staff was vocalizing curiosity as to why there were so many fastpass folks.

It did not help that only 3 of the 4 lanes on cars were operating - but it's not the only issue. Seems like this is where the notion of "open time return" hurts an attraction. I think it must happen a lot to Autopia since it's so far in a "corner" of the park.

I don't think they should change the open return policy (though not posted) but I just found it interesting that it happened.

Last edited by olegc; 04-08-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: corrected the date
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    so yesterday, April 6th, we were at Disneyland. Just 2 of us. We were trying to balance our Fastpass rides with actual attractions. I went to get a fastpass for Autopia since my son wanted to go back to the Westside to ride.

The standby time was 30 min - but the return time for fastpass was 6:05pm. That was at 3:45 in the afternoon. I thought it odd but grabbed them anyway. I had to wait until 5:50 to get another fastpass.

We came back around 7:30 - and the wait time was now 40 min and the fastpass return was 9:30. So we went to the attraction - and the fastpass line rivaled the standby. Our total wait was 30 minutes after entering the line. and the staff was vocalizing curiosity as to why there were so many fastpass folks.

It did not help that only 3 of the 4 lanes on cars were operating - but it's not the only issue. Seems like this is where the notion of "open time return" hurts an attraction. I think it must happen a lot to Autopia since it's so far in a "corner" of the park.

I don't think they should change the open return policy (though not posted) but I just found it interesting that it happened.
    Autopia is not a good FP ride in general. The FP entry is not as far up as on other rides, ie Indy & BTMRR. Also they often close one island and it's a very slow loading and capacity ride.

Disneyland Regular

I noticed a similar phenomonom. We had FP for Space Mountain, and decided to go right after the fireworks, and then head out of the park. It seems like about 30 or 40 people had the same idea, because there were a lot of FP users all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by The old man View Post
    Autopia is not a good FP ride in general. The FP entry is not as far up as on other rides, ie Indy & BTMRR. Also they often close one island and it's a very slow loading and capacity ride.

I agree. We hardly ever use a fastpass for this ride.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytebear View Post
    I noticed a similar phenomonom. We had FP for Space Mountain, and decided to go right after the fireworks, and then head out of the park. It seems like about 30 or 40 people had the same idea, because there were a lot of FP users all at once.
    You'll find the same issues on almost every FP ride. What was the return time on your FP?
    Planning 3 trips at once...

it can be really bad on Indy, almost pointless

Disneyland Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    You'll find the same issues on almost every FP ride. What was the return time on your FP?
    I admit, my fastpass was past the return window.

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    it can be really bad on Indy, almost pointless
    Indy is bad because the inside path really is another 30 minutes, so even with a FP, you still have quite a wait. I really wish they would just integrate the FP with the exit path, maybe redesign the queue just before the projection room. And then they could have the regular line go all the way through the temple, rathen than the wasted empty running space.

Blog Entries

my return was 6:15 - and I went at 7:30 - so not too far out. My indy was 12 noon and I went at 7, and splash was 1:30 and I went at 3.

In the past it was not so bad. Indy is bad now because you are required to watch the safety spiel so it's necessary to make you stand with the rest of them. I guess the same goes with Autopia since you are required to see the advertising, and get the ID card from the CM. However, it's not been as backed up like this as far as I remember. Seems that the park has more crowd than expected- they're all in line instead of in the walkways.

Maybe balance has come to the FP and standby queues ... Hmmm... However, you'll have to change the perception of what "standing in line" means for most guests who use FP.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

The last few times I have FPed Indy the inside line has been backed up to the caves instead of just before the projection room. This was all over one weekend so I am not sure what was going on.

Another time I FPed Soarin' and all day long the FP line stretched outside and curved past the burger place. After the fourth time checking back, we just got in the line. It ended up moving fast and was about 15 minutes until we got to the waiting area. The standby line had maybe 20 people on the outside part and wass reading 90 minutes. It was really weird.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

I seriously doubt that people using FPs after the window has much impact on the FP lines. Not enough people know about this and use it.

I'll bet Disney is adjusting the numbers of FPs they hand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    I seriously doubt that people using FPs after the window has much impact on the FP lines. Not enough people know about this and use it.

I'll bet Disney is adjusting the numbers of FPs they hand out.
    And I'm willing to bet that at least 20% don't even know, or use, FP at all. It would be interesting to know the statistics on this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The old man View Post
    And I'm willing to bet that at least 20% don't even know, or use, FP at all. It would be interesting to know the statistics on this.
    well, in my less-than-scientific data collection from April 7th, many many people were talking about getting fastpasses - and these were folks from out of town. State of Washington, Utah, NorCal, etc. So, to me, the notion that FastPass is a way for locals to get one over the regular tourist is possibly over with. My guess is the discussion will now move to "locals know which rides are more busy than others and which ones to get fastpasses first."

in a way - locals would always have an advantage over tourists even if fp was not around. It's the nature of experiences adding up to personal knowledge on what is busy when.

All in all - it seems that FP now saves you some time - but not a ton. In the most busiest months it could be a better time saver but in these slighty-less than full park weeks it's not as much of a benefit.

IMO and experience I really think that Autopia is the worst fastpass line. Indy comes a close second. Most of the time that we have used our FP for Autopia it's pointless we are very close or a few people a head of the regular line. For us it has always been around 30 - 40 minutes.

One of the best fastpass lines is Buzz and Haunted Mansion Holiday IMO.

everytime I'm there, fastpass for autopia saves me at least 30 minutes. there's usually a lot of people in the standby line I pass. maybe I should try going on a non-summer weekday. best fastpass for me is splash mountain. there's maybe 10 people in front of me at the most for that line.

2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

LOL!! My sister and I always joke beacuse we have the WORST FP luck at Buzz. At least 6 times there has either been no-one at the merge point (so you are forced to "cut in" and people give you these really dirty looks) or no-one taking the FP and they have a chain across that entrance. Whenever I go with someone else, I have no trouble and I love Fastpassing Buzz, but when it is my sister and I, we have nothing but issues!!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

I won't ride Autopia without a FP. If the line is a walkthrough, then you don't need it, but if there is ANY line...a FP is a MUST. (Kids love it...mom likes it because they love it...see how that works). I must just be a strategic FPer. Indy FP usually saves any wait outside...which is usually quite a wait. HUM?

Spring Break with my sweetie - AHH! IT'S TIME TO GO HOME!