Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Evil Bilingual Spiel Virus Infects Space Mountain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Evil Bilingual Spiel Virus Infects Space Mountain

After ravaging the classic spiels of such beloved Disneyland attractions as the Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (and causing general annoyance on the previously spiel-less Splash Mountain), the bilingual spiel virus, believed to be the spawn of some unholy union between it's a small world and the Matterhorn, has attacked Space Mountain, rendering the original spiel completely mute.

That's right, the friendly male voice from "Flight Safety" no longer informs "Space Shuttle" about the importance of keeping one's "hands on the handrail or inside the vehicle and remain[ing] seated while in motion.", nor does "Flight Safety" affirmingly note that the aforementioned "Space Shuttle" is "Cleared for launch."

Instead, some impostor prattles on about hands and arms and watching your children before breaking into a little espaol. Will the madness ever end? Or will the seemingly unstoppable spiel virus infect the remainder of the park with reckless abandon? Stay tuned

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe.

Yummy

While I understand the need for the spiels, it is annoying.

BTW, love your reporting on this matter. Ever consider a job in broadcasting?

So, dude, like.... you know.....

Does the new spiel repeat itself 8 times before launch too?

But I think the bilingual practice is common outside of the Anaheim property. If you look at Disneysea, a few attractions follow the same example with English and Japanese announcements. And the difference there is is that English-speaking guests are an extremely small minority. Imagine how *they* feel.

If I'd shell out $10, I'd be a

Dang! And the Flight Safety part was my fav. Hearing it, building the excitement. Oh well.

Do they still say, "This is tower; launch sequence engaged"?

Goodness, I hope this evil virus doesn't spread to the Matterhorn...oh wait.

I love that duck.

I believe "this is tower, launch sequence engaged' is part of the ride soundtrack with the music. So until the cars have the soundtrack again, we won't hear that.

I think.

The Cosmos, a universe of good and
    evil, where a small group struggles to
    bring freedom to countless worlds of
    despair - a rag-tag band led by the
    infamous Captain EO.

Originally posted by JoeCanadian
    But I think the bilingual practice is common outside of the Anaheim property. If you look at Disneysea, a few attractions follow the same example with English and Japanese announcements. And the difference there is is that English-speaking guests are an extremely small minority. Imagine how *they* feel.
    Yeah, I see what you're saying. My contention isn't really with the fact that the spiel is bilingual but rather that it completely replaces the classic spiel that used to play. If they kept the classic spiel and alternated with a Spanish translation, I probably wouldn't care as much.

Senior Member - Phlebotomist

Sigh I dont like this. (At first I thought this was about the West Nile Virus. LOL)

-Dr. Nicholas MD (in training)

POP ROCKS!!!!!
    Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
    Goodness, I hope this evil virus doesn't spread to the Matterhorn...oh wait.
    LOL.
    !

Big Bad Son Of A CM!

wouldnt it be easier to just have some sort of glowing sign?
    or did they JUST HAVE to destroy the bit of ambient that was left

The only reason I visit DCA is to get handfull of napkins.
    I would never wipe my mouth with the Disneyland logo.

Originally posted by PXSgeek
    wouldnt it be easier to just have some sort of glowing sign?
    They do.

Re: Evil Bilingual Spiel Virus Infects Space Mountain

Originally posted by Uncle Dick

That's right, the friendly male voice from "Flight Safety" no longer informs "Space Shuttle" about the importance of keeping one's "hands on the handrail or inside the vehicle and remain[ing] seated while in motion.", nor does "Flight Safety" affirmingly note that the aforementioned "Space Shuttle" is "Cleared for launch."
    It still says "Flight Safety" and "You are clear for launch"

Re: Re: Evil Bilingual Spiel Virus Infects Space Mountain

Originally posted by SpacedOutCM
    It still says "Flight Safety" and "You are clear for launch"
    Yeah, the new spiel does cannibalize from the classic one in a few places, but the friendly announcing voice itself is totally off.

Insufferable Know-It-All

The point is, do they have to replace the old spiel? They totally *ruined* BTMRR! Bad enough when they spliced in the "and legs" bit, but when they re-recorded the whole thing, the new one's AWFUL!

The Constitution is there to PROTECT rights, not to take them away.

Senshi in training

Oh brother, now they can't even replace a safety spiel without people whining and moaning about it? Amazing.

"Do you ever feel like the world is a tuxedo...and you're a pair of brown shoes?"

I understand the point

I know it's such a tiny detail... but especially in the case of Big Thunder, understandable.

Everyone I know has always considered part of the fun of big thunder saying "...'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!" before we took off from the station. once they changed the voice actor that reads the line, it somehow intangibly doesn't fit.

How geeky do I feel about that.

Insufferable Know-It-All

It's because the new voiceover is, in a word, dorky.

The Constitution is there to PROTECT rights, not to take them away.

Big Thunder was bad enough. But to replace the classic Paul Frees safety spiel on the Haunted Mansion - that was heartless and evil.

And will someone please tell me how you can get your arms and/or legs out of a ride vehicle without getting your hands and/or feet out first? So why is a hands and feet warning no longer sufficient?

There's a reason why lawyers are considered to be the layer of scum that lies between politicians and IRS agents.

Originally posted by Sailor Butterfly
    Oh brother, now they can't even replace a safety spiel without people whining and moaning about it? Amazing.
    In defense of, well, myself, my original post was intended to be a humorous take on a rather obvious change that has taken place across the park since Roger Rabbit's Car Toon spin reopened. I realize that the safety spiels are a comparatively small part of the overall Disneyland experience for most people, but there's something about them that has always fascinated me.

As a child who only had a chance to visit Disneyland one day each year, the safety spiel was something short and easy that I could take away from the park and recall during those 364 days when I wasn't at Disneyland. Before I knew all the words to "The Great Outdoors", "Grim Grinnin' Ghosts" or "Miracles from Molecules", I could easily recite the safety spiels from the Matterhorn, Autopia, BTMRR, Space Mountain and the Haunted Mansion.

Yes, "Do not pull down on the safety bar please, I will lower it for you" was the only line I could recall from the Haunted Mansion before the CD was released and I don't know how many times I repeated "This here's the wildest ride in the wilderness" whenever my mom was behind the wheel.

I know those lines have been incorporated into the new spiels, but it sounds wrong. In some cases ("Weeeeelllllderness"), really wrong.

I propose (to no one in particular), a compromise. The original spiels stay, followed by an addendum with the bits about watching the chilluns and keeping the manos and brazos inside el vehiculo. That would mostly satisfy me along with the lawyers. If only

Anyway, I have the unmolested BTMRR and HM spiels on CD to enjoy whenever I need the fix, and I assume I'll find the original Space Mountain spiel online somewhere. It's just a shame I can't hear them at the Park anymore.

If I'd shell out $10, I'd be a

The New Full Spiel:

"Space Shuttle, Please keep hands arms feet and legs inside the car(They couldn't even say Rocket) at all times, and watch your children. You are cleared for launch."

unforgiven

They should just have this playing at the front gate in every language known to man including Latin so everyone would have heard it and then they don't need to replay it 10000 times each day.

Alternatively: I did hear about headphones that you could wear that would translate things into your language (pre-recorded dialogue) based on your position in the park, and possibly even on the ride. That way everyone gets to have their own fun without forcing me to listen to "Por favor... somos animales a quienes les gusta bailer! Ten un buen tiempo en... SPLASH MOUNTAIN!"