Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Height Restriction

Height Restriction

It seems most of the DLR rides have a height requirement of 40in (or higher). How strictly is this height restriction enforced? Is the height measured with shoes on or without? My daughter is about half inch short of 40in. I wonder if she is able to get on these rides. TIA.

2. # ADS

with shoes, but they are really strict about it, they will measure at the entrance, and sometimes again in the loading area. Our son is 42" so he can go on almost everything now, has to wait awhile for Indy though!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Shoes on.

They're strict.

Adrienne

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Extremely strict! Last summer (May 2007), my son was wearing his tennis shoes and was tall enough to ride Screamin'. The next day, he had on his crocs, and wasn't tall enough. He never wore his crocs again that trip! He got measured 3 times some times through the line - at the start of the que, right before the steps, and then on the platform!

Jennie

A dream is a wish your heart makes!

First trip to WDW September 20, 2008 - POR!

Thanks Sarah and Adrienne.

I will see if we can make up that half inch with high heel and pony tail

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt View Post
    Thanks Sarah and Adrienne.

I will see if we can make up that half inch with high heel and pony tail
    The pony tail won't work. They'll push it down.

And just to give you the heads up - I don't know how much you lurked before you posted, but you might not want to go there too much with stuffing shoes or getting really tall shoes because that will get you some replies that will probably make our board look less than welcoming. We don't mean to be un-welcoming (really!) but we have a few hot-button topics around here. Just ask the guy who wanted to spread his wife's ashes in a flowerbed.

Adrienne
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Suggestion - my boy was less than an inch too short for the 42 inch rides a few weeks ago - he was DEVASTATED when they wouldn't let him ride!! I would measure her up against one of the sticks without saying anything about going on the ride - maybe that you will come back later or something, and if she is too short, don't put her through it at every ride - I just think that's too hard to see them so disappointed each time.

And they were VERY strict! He had to stand under the stick and his head touch, so the high heel shoes might work, but the hair they will catch! Good luck - I hope she makes it!!!

"Remember . . . Dreams Come True"

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    The pony tail won't work. They'll push it down.

And just to give you the heads up - I don't know how much you lurked before you posted, but you might not want to go there too much with stuffing shoes or getting really tall shoes because that will get you some replies that will probably make our board look less than welcoming. We don't mean to be un-welcoming (really!) but we have a few hot-button topics around here. Just ask the guy who wanted to spread his wife's ashes in a flowerbed.

Adrienne
    LOL - So true Adrienne - LMAO about the flowerbed comment -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyDoesIt View Post
    It seems most of the DLR rides have a height requirement of 40in (or higher). How strictly is this height restriction enforced? Is the height measured with shoes on or without? My daughter is about half inch short of 40in. I wonder if she is able to get on these rides. TIA.
    Actually, the majority of rides do not have height restrictions.

They measure with shoes on, however, if they note a large heel, they will have them take the shoes off and go barefoot for the measurement. As far as pony tails, they measure at scalp level. I have watched many a parent try to cheat the system, and it usually doesn't work.

It is a hot topic here. My advice, make sure your daughter realizes there will be rides she will not be able to ride. We measured my nephew before one trip and it looked like he was right at 40". At Disneyland, he just barely missed the mark.

A warning, which will be repeated by just about everyone, Jumpin Jellyfish's height stick is off, WAY off. While the requirements say 40", its closer to 41+".

Teach your daughter to stand up very straight, don't be afraid of the bar above her head, and if she doesn't make it, there will always be next time.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Oh that Jelly Fish yeah it's off my son wasn't able to ride it even though he was able to get on splash. We just kept making him practice on standing up straight and would remind him as they kept cheking him"don't forget to stand up nice and tall" and it usually worked. Good luck I know how sad they can get

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    A warning, which will be repeated by just about everyone, Jumpin Jellyfish's height stick is off, WAY off. While the requirements say 40", its closer to 41+".

Teach your daughter to stand up very straight, don't be afraid of the bar above her head, and if she doesn't make it, there will always be next time.
    Oh, that's right. For some reason I was thinking that JJ was 42" requirement. DOH. Yes. JJ's stick is OFF. Notoriously off. So she might be able to ride every single other 40" ride in the park and get turned away from JJ. It's happened before to well over 40" kids.

Adrienne

lee is the man.

My parents would put napkins in my shoes. I still remember it. And I don't remember it failing. But that was a while ago.

errah errah!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

:sigh: Ok, fine...

I refuse to put anything in my kids shoes. I don't want to tell them as little kids that it's ok to cheat a safety rule you don't like because it's inconvenient and not fun. I don't want them to think as they get older that it's ok to cheat a rule to do something fun. And I'm not even talking just teenaged years.

Nope. Not worth it.

Adrienne

Blog Entries

I refuse to put anything in my kids shoes. I don't want to tell them as little kids that it's ok to cheat a safety rule you don't like because it's inconvenient and not fun. I don't want them to think as they get older that it's ok to cheat a rule to do something fun. And I'm not even talking just teenaged years.

Nope. Not worth it.

Adrienne
    Yep, I have to agree. But you knew that.

When we went in 2006 My daughter was "tall enough" for space Mountain but too short for Splash Mountain. And Soarin over CA the Measure stick before the line she was fine, but at the door she was too short.

Have fun.

I refuse to put anything in my kids shoes. I don't want to tell them as little kids that it's ok to cheat a safety rule you don't like because it's inconvenient and not fun. I don't want them to think as they get older that it's ok to cheat a rule to do something fun.
    This isn't about safety, but when I ran a Disney Store and sold WDW hoppers, people would consistently ask me if they really needed to buy an adult ticket for their 10-year old, or if the people at the entrance would just believe them if they said their child was 9. "There's really no way to check, right? They'll believe my kid if they say they're 9?" they'd ask. I just can't imagine telling my daughter that it's OK to lie so that I could save a few bucks.

She is less than an inch too short for Indy at the moment, and while she may make it before we go, I am already setting her up for the fact that she may not get to ride it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Yep, I have to agree. But you knew that.
    I am also one that agrees - we could have easily "made" my son tall enough but I just didn't think it was a good idea. An interesting thing happened along this line on our recent trip, where we went to ride the bumper cars in Bugs Land - my baby was too small, so we were going to let my boy go with my DH and my daughter go alone - when she got to the front they asked her how old she was and she said six - they said she had to be seven to drive alone - her birthday was in 6 weeks - when she came over and told me, I said something to the effect of saying she was seven since she was close, and she told me "You want me to lie mom!" Oh how quickly I was put in my place!!!! Obviously I have taught her better than that - and while I would have never asked her to do it - I shouldn't have even made the COMMENT on it! Later in the trip it happened again on another ride, and my wonderful little girl hesitated when she answered her age - I FELT TERRIBLE for even putting that hesitation in her mind! I appoligize profusely to her and told her to ALWAYS tell the truth -

Kids growth spurts can be amazing! Your daughter might surprise you and find that half inch ! My DD was just under five when we were at DCA in Dec '05 she was about a half inch too short to ride Screamin'. We went back less than a month later for her fifth birthday (yes, she is a tall one!) she had the same exact shoes on, plain tennies no lift, no heel. After her special birthday lunch she marched up to that measuring stick, stood up straight and tall and not only was she tall enough she had about a half inch to spare.

Disneyland IS the Happiest place on Earth!

Quote Originally Posted by renodlandlover View Post
    Extremely strict! Last summer (May 2007), my son was wearing his tennis shoes and was tall enough to ride Screamin'. The next day, he had on his crocs, and wasn't tall enough. He never wore his crocs again that trip! He got measured 3 times some times through the line - at the start of the que, right before the steps, and then on the platform!

Jennie
    This might have been the 3rd or 4th? I think we were behind you in line, I remember a parent commenting on him being tall enough the day before.

Oh and I've already let my 9 yo know she can't ride in front on Splash this trip also so she would be prepared. I fully agree with not cheating.

Here are the rides with height requirements:

Disneyland
    Autopia: 52" to ride alone (shorter ones can ride with an adult; when my daughter was 5, she drove but I controlled the gas)
    Gadgets Go Coaster: 35"
    Matterhorn: 35"
    Big Thunder Mtn. Railroad: 40"
    Space Mtn: 40"
    Splash Mtn: 40"
    Star Tours: 40"
    Indiana Jones Adventure: 46"

DCA
    Tuck and Rolls Bumper Cars: 36"
    Soarin' Over California: 40"
    Jumpin' Jellyfish: 40" (but as noted above, the measuring post is more like 41+")
    Orange Stinger: 40" (guests between 40 & 48 inches must ride in a double swing with responsible person)
    Tower of Terror: 40"
    Mulholland Madness: 42"
    Grizzly River Run: 42"
    California Screamin': 48"
    Maliboomer: 52"

As others have mentioned, it is strict. If her head does not touch the top of the measuring board, they will not let her on. Also, if she is close to the mark, she will likely be measured a few times throughout.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Duck Fan68 View Post
    Autopia: 52" to ride alone (shorter ones can ride with an adult; when my daughter was 5, she drove but I controlled the gas)
    My niece had just turned 4 when we took her to Disneyland for her very first trip. We got on Autopia, and I had her get in the driver's seat. She was in awe. She looks at me and says in a dead pan voice "My mommy NEVER let's me drive." I never laughed so hard.

A note on Autoptpia. My older DD is tall enough to ride alone but both times she's tried a CM had to help her finish. To reach the gas she had to scrunch so far down in the seat she couldn't see anything, and then her leg got tired in such an awkward position.

I have roasted marshmallows! PanFan's Avatar

I had someone today at Storybook ask how strict they are on measuring height requirements. I said they were very strict in that the child's head has to completely touch the bottom of the sign. He asked if anything would help--stuffed shoes, hats, etc. I said they'll have to take hats off and if their shoes look too tall they may have to take them off as well. He seemed disgruntled, but seriously--what do you want to teach your kids?

At other rides with no height restriction but where the child has to be 7 to ride alone, I get a lot of circumstances where I'll ask the child how old they are and either the parent quickly responds that they're 7 (while their kids look on quizzically) or, even more sadly, the child responds that they're "Si......even." Honestly, can't you just let your kids be the age they are and enjoy a ride on Dumbo or Mr. Toad with them? I don't get it.

Blog Entries

My favorites are the parents who push their child to walk quickly past any CMs they see to avoid being measured. I've seen this on Indy, where the people make it to the the HA gate, and the HA CM will ask the child to come in, only they dart up the steps. So she alerts them on the side to be watching, and sure enough, the child is just that much too short. And what happens? The parents lay into the CMs with "But we waited 2 hours in line, and now we can't ride? We don't want to split up and he wants to ride too." Its not the CM's fault you stood in line 2 hours, when all you had to do was stop at the first height stick and you would know not to.