Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Danskin Women's Triathlon

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

Questions about Danskin Women's Triathlon

Danskin Women's Triathlon Series team is thrilled to announce that the new venue for the Southern California triathlon is the renowned Disneyland Resort. Together with our friends at Disneyland and our 2008 sponsor partners, we look forward to bringing you another incredible Race experience this year over the June 14-15th weekend.

Mods, I'm sure you'll relocate this to the appropriate forum but for now I was hoping to grab as much input as is possible...does ANYONE have a clue where they would do the swim portion of an event like this? I have a friend from another non Disney board that is interested in participating but not if she's going to swim in the Rivers of America LOL.
    Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

2. # ADS

Here's the info on the courses:
    COURSE DESCRIPTION (as of March 17, 2008)

approximately .35 mile

The swim is approximately .35 mile in the lagoon of Disney's California Adventure Park. Disney magic is in the air as you enjoy the views and park settings during your safe and calm lagoon swim.

But of course, this is all subject to change..... Sounds like fun, too bad I can't swim and I don't know how to ride a bike and I think I would keel over dead from the running!! It'd be cool to be a spectator or part of it somehow though!

approximately 10 miles

The bike is a 10 mile course comprised of 2 x 5-mile loops leaving Disneyland Resort's parking lot, traveling North on Disneyland Drive and then creating a large box to the east of Disneyland Resort. You will re-enter the park through the original parking lot of Disneyland Resort and the gates off Harbor Blvd – one more time around and you will be heading for the run.

approximately 2.5 miles

The run is approximately 2.5 miles in length and touches on the outside of Disneyland Resort, through the main entrance, parts of the Magic Kingdom, weaving through Disney's California Adventure Park before returning adjacent to the Transition Area in the Timon Parking Lot where the crowds, the excitement and the fun will be waiting.

Thanks sooo much! I'll pass that on to her!

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is swimming in the lagoon at DCA better than swimming in the Rivers of America? I hope they turn off the dye machines long enough before the swim that people won't be blue(?) when they get out!

Cathy

I think the difference in the lagoon vs the RoA is the lagoon is really just a big pool with the cement where the RoA actually has dirt/mud on top of the clay they lined it with....but the dye is an issue too (or at least it would be for me) I passed along the information, she's considering participating.

That sounds like it could be fun! Don't think I'll make it this year though. I hope to hear how your friend likes it MS, if she participates.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Are any MousePadders planning to do this? I know there are a few non-Padder readers who are participating, and it would be good to know bib/cap numbers.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

My wife, lesliebumper, is signed up to do it. It will be her first tri, and I think she's torn between excitement at doing it at Disney and freaking out about doing a triathlon.

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar

I signed up to volunteer for both the expo and the triathlon. I hope they bring it back to DL next year so I can participate in the actual race. Hope to see some MousePadders there!!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Wow, what a morning! I was at DLR at 5:30am to watch, and I was amazed at how big the event was. I'll post photos, but I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! to everyone who participated.

AVP

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Thanks for braving the dawn to do that AVP! I am looking forward to a report.

Danskin Triathlon at Disneyland Resort

Hey I was there this morning (Cheering on my wife...I didn't disguise myself as a woman just to enter...though I considered it)

Did anyone here do the Triathlon? I wanted to hears other folks' tales of swimming in the "lake" in front of the Sun Wheel. It was crazy to see hundreds of people swimming in there.

Click here to join me as, I take you on a ride through of the new "enhancements" to Disneyland's It's A Small World...with some wacky cometary! It's Episode 20 of Tim Babb's Kingdom Comedy

Blog Entries

I was really happy to read that they'd been treating the water for a few days to make it safe to swim in! That was part that really kind of eeked me out when I read where they were going to swim!

Cathy

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I was really happy to read that they'd been treating the water for a few days to make it safe to swim in! That was part that really kind of eeked me out when I read where they were going to swim!
    I don't know that they were going for "safe," I think they were going for "not completely disgusting." I was watching as swimmers ran out to the transition area, and I saw someone with a white shirt that had rust-colored streaks on it. I'd seen something similar at the WDW marathon, but on men (Alex explained it was blood caused by nipple chafing mixed with sweat), but I was trying to figure out how a woman had done the same thing during a swim...

Then I noticed that any woman wearing a white shirt had the same marks on her shirt... it was from the water. When I went back into the park Sunday at opening to ride TSMM, the water around the entrance / exit was BROWN.

AVP

That race was totally, fabulously great. It was my first tri, was very beginner friendly, and I got to swim in the lagoon without getting kicked out of the park afterward.

I wore a sports bra and a tank with tri shorts for the swim, and when I got undressed at the hotel, it was alarming all the dirt stuck next to my body from the swim. Don't care!

The water was nice and warm, despite the Danskin site saying it was in the 60's. It was practically opaque, though, when you stuck your head under water to swim. You couldn't see another swimmer until you pretty much were about to get kicked in the head by then. It was my first open water swim, and I wasn't anticipating such limited visibility.

The bike course had a lot of support, people out helping or just being encouraging. The run through DCA was neat but shorter than the advertised 2.5 miles. I was surprise to come around a corner and see the finish line when I was at two miles. My GPS measured the entire run at 2.06.

AVP, thanks for coming out and braving the early start. All in all it was a unique experience and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliebumper View Post
    The water was nice and warm, despite the Danskin site saying it was in the 60's.
    60's? When had you last checked that? On Saturday night when I checked the site said the water was 80 degrees, which invoked the "no wetsuits" rule. Water temp for Race weekend is anticipated to be 80 degrees. That completely sucks if athletes were expecting much cooler water - but that may explain all of the wetsuits I saw...

It was a really inspiring event - congratulations for finishing!

AVP

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    60's? When had you last checked that? On Saturday night when I checked the site said the water was 80 degrees, which invoked the "no wetsuits" rule. Water temp for Race weekend is anticipated to be 80 degrees. That completely sucks if athletes were expecting much cooler water - but that may explain all of the wetsuits I saw...

It was a really inspiring event - congratulations for finishing!

AVP
    I'm pretty sure the last time I checked it for water temp was last Monday or Tuesday, just double checking before I spent half a day driving to rent a wetsuit. Worse things could happen! Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar

I had a great time volunteering both Saturday and Sunday for this event. I was handing out swim caps and tanks on Saturday and worked post race food on Sunday by the finish line. The first person to finish did it in just over 48 minutes!!!

Congratulations to all the racers!!! Great job!!!!

Awright! Hey folks! I'm a lurker and I completed the Triathlon!

Hey folks!
    To give a quick intro, I'm a 28 year old Southern Californian who has been in love with Disney pretty much all my life. My mom says she first took me to Disneyland when I was 2 and my eyes popped out. Apparently, they never went back into my head.
    This year, a good friend of mine announced she was moving out of state. As a "final request", she asked that I do the Danskin Women's Triathlon with her. I agreed before they announced the location.
    When the location was finally announced, all of my doubts melted away and I knew I was ment to do this - to make personal and Disney history!

Saturday, my mom and I headed to Disneyland. We had booked a room at Paradise Pier (my first time staying at that hotel). At check in, the cast member noticed I was here for the race and asked "So, how do you feel about swimming in our lagoon?" I couldn't help be chuckle and smile and tell him the truth - I couldn't wait!

We checked my bike and our luggage and spent the morning at the parks, walking around, taking pictures and having some "mother daughter" time (which is VERY rare in my family). We went on Pirates and Haunted Mansion, two of her favorites, before "warming up" with a walk from the Lion King Tram area to the sponsoring hotel, the Anaheim Hilton and Towers. I'm not sure how far that was, but I'm banking on around a mile (since we took a LONG route).
    The expo wasn't terribly exciting. This is my first triathlon, so I spent most of my time paying attention to Sally, the Ironwoman champ. Her speech and instructions were great for me. We met my friend there and picked up our gear (tank top, packet with numbers for bike, jersey and helmet, water bottle, swim cap, timing chip and band). I tried my hand at winning a Trek bike, but didn't work out. Oh well! My good 'ole mountain bike would have to do this time around.
    There was a booth from Jelly Belly passing out "Sport beans". They tasted great and helped with an energy boost. There was also a Danskin area (of course) and a Mass Mutual booth.
    A booth selling t-shirts had some great items for spectators:

I was so excited to get my number written on me. (For the record, it's taken me until today to get it all off!)

If anyone saw me on the race, HI!!!! I had a great time! More pictures to come as I get 'em from my mom. It'll probably take about a week, but it was an AMAZING experience that I pray they will do again at this venue next year!

Thumbs up

Welcome LadyDarling, and congratulations on your achievement! I love those Sport Beans too. Which flavors did you try?

I grabbed the lemonlime and tried them while I was walking around the park after the expo. I tried the Orange one after the race (I didn't think it was safe to run and eat something, so I thought it was odd they were handing them out on the course!). It really seemed to help me power through a few more hours at DCA. Not to mention, after the race it was about all I could stomach w/o ralphing!

J. Darling
    Coder, Actress, Singer, and Disneyland Annual Passport Holder!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDarling View Post
    I grabbed the lemonlime and tried them while I was walking around the park after the expo. I tried the Orange one after the race (I didn't think it was safe to run and eat something, so I thought it was odd they were handing them out on the course!). It really seemed to help me power through a few more hours at DCA. Not to mention, after the race it was about all I could stomach w/o ralphing!
    You can definitely eat while running! I have done two marathons, and it is basically essential that you do for a distance that long. I like the beans because I can stuff a few in my mouth and cheek them, chewing as I go.

I like the Blue and the Fruit Punch (pink) best.

With my level of coordination, I'd definately choke! lol

I'll have to see if I can buy some and try 'em. It's got me addicted to working out! I'm still sore today and I can't wait to get outta work and do some yoga or go bike riding.

J. Darling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDarling View Post
    It's got me addicted to working out!
    And that's a VERY good addiction! Congrats on that, and doing the race as well!
    Cathy

Thanks! I can't wait to see my mom's pics of the race, and I'm really looking forward to posting my disrotation of the Triathlon weekend!

J. Darling