Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: [Day Trip] HisKid1 - Feb 23, 2008 - "Drizzly, but fun (LONG)"

[Day Trip] HisKid1 - Feb 23, 2008 - "Drizzly, but fun (LONG)"

I went yesterday with my husband, dd13, ds 3 1/2, and ds 22 mo. I really wanted to be there when they opened, but dh didn't get home from work the previous night until about midnight. I had strict orders not to wake him till at LEAST 8 or 8:30 <tapping foot>.

By the time he was ready and we had everyone fed and in the car, it was far later than I had hoped (around 9). We followed the signs, but ended up in some far away parking area with no shuttle. As I have bad foot problems, I needed to find an area that was closer. They gave us a map to the main parking garage, where we sat and sat. When we did get in, they directed us to an aisle that had no spots, and we could not turn around or back up because there were people behind us, and all of the aisles face the same way. Grr... back in line.

Found out happily that we did not have to unload and fold up the double stroller to get on the tram. WHEW! That would have been a nightmare.

During security, I sent dd and dh into 1 line, and I took the stroller in another. This way, I figured that they would be less likely to boot us with coolers, etc. Made it through fine. Next anxiety was whether they would have ECV's left by that time (now about 10:45). They did, and there was much rejoicing. If I had not had that thing, I would have been toast, because the walking standing just up until that point had me about done.

I have not been to DL in 10 years, and DH and the boys had never been. We thought we should go to Fantasyland first, and hit some tame rides so ds3 wouldn't be too scared. This was his first real experience with rides, and he can get spooked.

DH took him on Dumbo (dd took ds22 mo.) and both did great. Went next to the Storybook boats, which was cute. I took the ECV through the exit, and it was NOT made to go through. They were directing me in, but I was at a weird angle, so had to make a 900-point turn, feeling like a total goof. Boys really liked that one.

Next we went on the Nemo ride. This is one where ECV's go in through the exit, but there was still about a 40-minute wait for us. DS3 had to go potty when there was ONE family ahead of us, but we determined that he could hold it. WOW, this ride is a lot darker, louder, and scarier for the little guys than the old sub ride I remembered! Both did ok, though little guy was climbing all over dd and I.

We had lunch (packed ham sandwiches on bagels, with a bag of lettuce separate. This worked great, because they were filling and not soggy or squished) and dd/dh talked about going on Space Mountain. The wait was 50 min., and the boys couldn't go. I suggested that I take them on the railroad and just ride around till they were done, but dh is very much a "stick together" kind of guy (even with cell phones) and doesn't even like to split up in Costco. We got a Fast Pass for 8:15, knowing it was not likely they would get to use it. Had we really thought about this, we should have done that when we first got there. I didn't really realize how the FP worked, and didn't know the appointed time would be so much later.

We decided to hit Toon Town, hoping the smallest would fall asleep on the walk there. He did (whew!) but as soon we got there, it started to rain. Not hard, but giant drops! I covered the stroller with a plastic tablecloth I had brought, but the rest of us got pretty wet. DD and DS3 went into Mickey's house (which I thought was just a little walk-through thing) and were in there FOREVER. Meanwhile, dh and I just waited in the rain (no cover that we saw until they came out and then they and dh went on the roller coaster there. I waited while little guy kept sleeping (yeah!). DS3 was a bit traumatized by that, but fairly OK.

Had a snack, and then we happened to be on the parade route, so stopped to watch. It was cute, though I wouldn't have waited long to see it. Next, went on Mr. Toad and Pirates. Even with the ECV, had to wait quite awhile at POC. BTW, I thought you guys said the park cleared out when it rained! LOL

OK, by now we are really wet and it is getting quite cold. I had packed enough food, but of course all of it was cold. There was no way anyone was going to stand for a cold dinner, so we went to the French Market (I think that's what it was called, sorry) and I got the beef stew, dh got jambalaya, boys got mac & cheese, and dd got grilled chicken kids meal. A: hot beef stew was the exact right choice in that weather, B: quality has seriously improved since I was there last (dh's meal and mine included salads even), and C: ds22 mo. was a nightmare the entire time we were getting/eating the meal. He had HAD it. He was NOT going to sit on a lap, on a chair, in the stroller, or even climb up and down near us. We had tried to let him walk around, etc. during the day, but he was totally blowing a gasket. DH and I ended up eating in shifts. I got to finish my stew while dh let ds walk up and down a set of stairs about 4700 times!

After that, we went on Haunted Mansion. DH spent the whole time talking to DS3 (scared) about how much work people put into making the different spider webs, ghosties, creepy things, etc. This helped a lot, and he came out saying that the people were amazing that they did that, instead of totally panicked.

We decided to wander into Critter Country and Frontierland, found Winnie the Pooh, and ds simply HAD to go on. Fortunately not much line, as it was now raining harder. This was ds3's FAVORITE thing the whole day, lol. Poor kid had a lot of scaryish things thrown at him, so the fact that this was nice, bright colors, slow bumpyish ride, familiar characters, etc. really fit the bill. Once out, we all decided that we were done (all except dd, who was begging to stay till Space Mountain). The 3yo, however, was chanting "go home, go home, go home", and the 22mo boy was not having any more of this stroller thing (but would not walk with us when out).

Returning the scooter went pretty well (make sure you keep that receipt safe, or even with the key, you get NO deposit back). Shopped at World of Disney on the way to the tram, and then waited at LEAST 30 min. to get the stroller on the tram. Most of the clan was NOT feeling friendly at this point. They were cold, wet, tired, feet hurting, and wanted to be HOME. Managed to try to talk about fun things we did, and just barely kept everyone contained till we got on.

On the way home, realized we were all starving, so stopped at In N Out for a cheeseburger, animal style.. OH YEAH! Perfect way to end the day, lol.

Well, I'm sure if you got this far, you were wondering if I'd EVER end! Only thing left to say is that dh is now trying to figure out how we could try to work 4 AP's into our already strained budget, lol. On whole, we did have a fun time, and it was a learning experience for future trips. Thanks for reading!

2. # ADS

Disneyland and In and Out in the same day? Sounds like MY kind of day! We don't have an In and Out near us and the one they were trying to build got voted out for ANOTHER Starbucks and McDonalds(we have 5 Starbucks, not including the one in the grocery store and our town is LITTLE! lol)

I honestly don't know how people do Disneyland with small children. I swore that I would not take my kids until they were at least 5 and could actually enjoy it(and I could too!). Congrats on making it through and hope your foot feels better soon!

Darlene aka MotoGP Goddess