Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Carrying a bag or backpack in the park?

Carrying a bag or backpack in the park?

I've heard a lot of people talk about how they keep snacks and waters in a bag. What do you do with it when you're on a ride? I know DH will be against lugging anything around the park so I need to be prepared. I plan on letting the kids have fanny packs, but they won't be big enough for water bottles.

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calmingweight View Post
    I've heard a lot of people talk about how they keep snacks and waters in a bag. What do you do with it when you're on a ride? I know DH will be against lugging anything around the park so I need to be prepared. I plan on letting the kids have fanny packs, but they won't be big enough for water bottles.
    You carry it on the ride. Most rides have space at your feet for a backpack. My kids each carry a CamelBak in the park.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

My hubby and I trade off wearing the backpack, and we take it off when we go on a ride, and put it by our feet. On a coaster or really active ride, I try to loop a strap around one of my legs. I end up feeling a little funny when I don't have it on!

The last few trips we have rented a locker, on Main Street, and left our lunches and extra clothes (jackets, gloves, sweatshirts) in there. You get in and out privileges. I think it is about $10 for a medium sized one for the day. Still cheaper than buying lunch for 4 in the park!!!

Jennie

A dream is a wish your heart makes!

First trip to WDW September 20, 2008 - POR!

Cool

They also sell straps to hook the water bottle on in the parks. They are about $3.50 and have disney characters on them.

If you found your laughing place, how come you aren't laughing?

I always carry a bag. Not a full on backpack, and not a purse, but an over the shoulder bag with a zipper that is big enough for my wallet, camera, and water bottles. It's made out of a nylon/quick drying material too, which is good. It has never been a problem to put the bag down by my feet when I'm on a ride. I also loop it around my legs on roller coasters and bigger rides.

The kid and I both carry a small backpack usually. This trip we plan to take our lunch sized cooler in with extra water and snacks and leave that in the locker. We usually put our jackets in there too.

Having a small backpack has never been an issue on the rides. There's normally someplace to store it on the rides or like the PP's have said, I loop it around my leg(s).

************************************************** ************************************************** ***
    Enjoying the sunshine and blue skies of Phoenix between Disney trips.

Dh and I have backpaks that we use every year with no problem. We just put them n the ride bottom and loop around arm on little rides and leg on big ones! Be careful not to make them too puffy it is hard to "stuff" them in the bags on sorn' and ST.

always have a backpack....sometimes we take the cooler back pack in, although in beginning of day can be a bit heavy, but we stick cheese, water bottles and a couple cans of diet coke in it....we also take my other backpack with snacks and stuff and take turns wearing it....backpack rather than bag, easier on the body I think

Disneyland Regular

I will often wear cargo pants (or shorts). I can easily fit two bottles of water in each side pocket. Bring one bottle for each person, and refill then throughout the day.

Last year I found my perfect "Disneyland Purse". It has two side pockets for water or a folding umbrella, a back pocket I use for schedules and maps. The best part is the front organizer pocket which has velcro flaps. I can put my camera, cell phone, sunscreen, chapstick, and wipes in there and have quick, easy access. The zippered main compartment has room for snacks, my wallet, light sticks, etc. Its overall size is not too big and has an adjustable strap so I can wear over my shoulder or across my chest.

here is a link:
    http://www.overlandequipment.com/product/donner-black

I carry a wallet with money and credit card and a lanyard with my ticket and that is it. If I get thirsty I go to a drinking fountain. If I get hungry I go to the hotel and grab a snack. If I get cold or hot I go to the hotel and add/remove a layer. If it is a simple snack or adding/removing a layer I might just run back to the hotel to ditch/retreive something for everyone while my wife and kids stay in the park, or if it is something like lunch or time for a break then we all go back.

It generally takes ten minutes or less to go to the hotel and back (longer if the kids go too) and I would much rather do that two or three times in the day than carry a bag around all day (this is why staying really close is a priority for me).

2010 Year of The Tiger The Evil Queen's Avatar

A couple of trips ago, I purchased a black canvas bag at the park with a big Minnie Mouse profile on it. That's the one I carry. It fits just about everything I need and it is lined with nylon. Won't let the camera get wet and it is the perfect size for a few snacks and big enough to stow my Mickey Ears, Tiara and Princess Bobble Ears in for a quick costume change!

Like with everyone else, I'm not to particular about putting on the floor of a ride and looping the straps around my leg.

We also use a backpack. It's easy to sit beside you or at your feet when on a ride. To keep it a bit lighter, we take the small water bottles and refill them at drinking fountains. We also just keep a sharpie in the backpack to mark whose bottle is whose.

In 2005, I tried to carry a very small backpack (camelbac) with me. I wore it all day the first day and I couldn't stand it! It was just a nuisance, having to stop and dig around for whatever I needed right at that moment. Plus, I didn't like having to put it on the 'floor' of the rides, it got really dirty.

I have a little one now that rides in a stroller, so the stroller works as a mobile carry-all for all in my party. I have one bag that fits perfectly in the bottom to store everything. When we park the stroller in each land, I carry only my small camera bag. It holds my camera, money, and cards. I have a chapstick leash that I hook onto the camera bag to hold that, and my phone fits in my pocket. Having just one little bag strapped across my chest is much more comfortable for me than carrying around a big pack full of stuff.

Thanks for all the tips! I found some cute stylish knap-sack backpacks today for just $1, they're large enough to carry what I need, but not too big and bulky to be a nuisance. I had thought about the water bottle straps before, but forgot about them; thanks for the reminder! I'll check the local stores for those.

Don't forget that when you go on GRR.... take advantage of the free lockers so that you don't get your backpack wet!

So Excited!

kids

do you ever have your kids bring a tiny back pack?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ty71803 View Post
    do you ever have your kids bring a tiny back pack?
    What age child? Mine started carrying their own by age 7 or 8.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

My last trip to Disneyland was last April with my almost 4 year old (was one month shy of her birthday) and she carried her own backpack the entire time and never once complained. In fact, on day 3, I threw my keys and wallet in there and went without my own bag.

Here is a photo of her on day 2 or 3, dancing around with her backpack.

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=100_0562.jpg

Last edited by potterphreak; 02-28-2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Wrong link for photo

Riley(our 9yr old) carries a small Pittsburgh Steelers backpack that my sister gave to him. I usually steal it to use for my own but he put his foot down last year. LOL Apparently I need to get my own. LMAO! Although I do have a 50th Anniversary hip pack and that thing holds a LOT.

Darlene aka MotoGP Goddess

I guess I have it easy. We just strap everything to the back of our strollers. But I have seen some great ideas on this thread because this summer might be our last stroller year.