Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: We are taking our first family trip in April

Awright! We are taking our first family trip in April

We are taking our first family (me, DH and 3 kids ages 4, 6 & 9) trip in April and I want to make a loose plan of when to see what, stuff like that. What things should we plan to do? What shouldn't we miss? Where to view it?

I went with a friend (plus both our DD) last Sept and basically just followed her around. She is cheap (nothing wrong with that) and doesn't like to eat in the park or see any of the shows so I feel like I missed alot. Also we were only there for 2 days.

I am still on the fence as to where to stay...I like that the CCI is cost effective but there are some definte perks of staying onsite.

Thanks!

First trip to DL 9/07
    First Family trip to DL 4/08

2. # ADS

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

As for the shows...Billy Hill and the Hill Billies is always worth the time and it's a nice little place to grab a snack while sitting in comfort and watching a good show! For the kids, the Aladdin storytelling show next to the Jungle cruise attraction is very cute and interactive with the younger crowd ...and the meet/greet after is nice, not a big crowd of shoving pushy folks...The Sword in the Stone ceremony is adorable and brief but Merlin is always worth a look. If you catch Laughing Stock out in front of the Golden Horseshoe, stop and take the time to watch, they are hilarious. If you enjoy good music then wandering around in New Orleans Square is a good choice, they have some wonderful musicians that play thru the day.

Over in DCA, Turtle talk with Crush is a "must see" it so so cute...the big Aladin production is very well done. There are a few other shows over there but I'm not as familiar with them so I'll let someone else speak about those.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries

Of course, all the parades! Take a few minutes to unwind in the Animation building. My son took my niece and nephew into Crush, and MickeyDogMom and I spent the time just sitting in the Animation area watching the screens change. Really nice.

In DCA, if they are there when you are, *I* love watching the Wave Riders. The are usually in Sunshine Plaza, and bring out all sorts of things for kids to do.

I agree with Mamma, Billy Hill is a DO NOT MISS. We will often see it 2-3 times a trip. My son will race from where ever we are to watch Laughing Stock. They are really good.

At night, they have bands in Tomorrowland and in the Plaza. Both can be really good. My youngest daughter loves to watch Stompy Jones.

Planning 3 trips at once...

I'm going to recommend getting The Unofficial Guide To Disney Resort. I think you will like their plans and ratings of the different attractions and dining options.

Tiki Room

I sometimes eat my Ice Cream with a Fork

I'll limit my response to two suggestions, as I'm sure everyone is going to suggest their favorites and you're going to have quite a list!!
    With the ages of the children, I'd suggest Aladdin's Oasis in Adventureland and It's Tough To Be a Bug in A Bug's Land.
    I'd choose Aladdin's Oasis to the big Aladdin show at the Hyperion, hands down. The kids get to sit on a rug up front and interact in the show, even volunteer. Then they get to meet Aladdin and Jasmine afterwards. My 3y/o, 10y/o, and 16y/o all three loved this!!
    It's Tough To Be a Bug is just plain FUN! We saw this show 4 times in one trip one year! We like the wait because it's short and you get to hang out underground in a bug tunnel. What's better than that?!!?

Thanks for all the tips! I did go and purchase "The Unoffical Guide to Disneyland" off of Half.com (got it for 75cents!). I am going to take all your suggestions and try to incorporate them into my "schedule"

First trip to DL 9/07
    First Family trip to DL 4/08

I found RideMax fun and helpful. It gives you pretty accurate wait times and develops efficient itineraries based on your attraction choices.

Your kids may enjoy exploring the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail in DCA.

Quote Originally Posted by keeperofzoo View Post
    We are taking our first family (me, DH and 3 kids ages 4, 6 & 9) trip in April and I want to make a loose plan of when to see what, stuff like that. What things should we plan to do? What shouldn't we miss? Where to view it?

I went with a friend (plus both our DD) last Sept and basically just followed her around. She is cheap (nothing wrong with that) and doesn't like to eat in the park or see any of the shows so I feel like I missed alot. Also we were only there for 2 days.

I am still on the fence as to where to stay...I like that the CCI is cost effective but there are some definte perks of staying onsite.

Thanks!
    Ok...from my kiddos - my three (almost four) year old's must do's are:
    Monster on the Ride (Matterhorn), Monsters Inc., and Buzz Lightyear.

My 5 1/2 year old's must do (he's my TALL daredevil) - Space Mtn, Star Tours, California Screamin.

Both concurr that meeting characters is of the utmost importance too! Also the parades. My five year old...very sensitive to loud noises - said, "Definitely the Fireworks. THey're a little bit loud, but they're really fun to see."

They also loved Playhouse Disney. And I have boys, so we passed on the Princess Fantasy Faire - but I'm sure they'd still like it. We also really enjoy doing a character meal at Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast. We get to meet lots of characters - the food is alright - my kids LOVE it. But the biggie...is seeing all the characters.

How many days are you going to be spending there?

Hope that helps!
    ~Annie
    ~Annie~

Hi - A newbie here and also taking our first vacation in April, except my family vacation is just me and my nearly 5 year-old.

Thanks for all the tips in this thread! I can't keep off the net to read my Unofficial Guide. I have printed soo many threads already

A tip a friend told me is to watch the sales at your Disney store at home and buy some surprises to give to the kids after you get to the hotel. Then hopefully you won't have to buy as many items at the park. My daughter is a bit spoiled so I can see her wanting to buy new things everyday (ok - me too). We are lucky to have a Disney Store outlet nearby that I can checkout. Of course every other chain has fun stuff that would work just as well too.