Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Weight limits at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by princessy777 View Post
    If there is nothing wrong, shameful, or insulting about being overwieght... I don't understand how on one hand one can say they are completely okay with who and what they are and then get mad when someone makes reference to it.
    As someone who has been in both worlds - the skinny and the obese - I thought I would answer this question, because I find it comes up a lot. Even when you don't want it to.

When I was skinny, I absolutely hated myself. I was so concerned with how I looked and, for a lot of reasons, I was a really miserable person. I had suffered from sexual abuse and never gotten over it. I was used to my body being used by other people. So, I gained weight. When I did, I was suddenly free to be who I was - because I knew that people were looking at me not for the curves and my figure, but because they saw something else in me.

Now, they probably always were able to see who I was inside and I just couldn't. I do get that. But that is why I became happy when I gained weight - because I felt more comfortable in my skin without the pressure of being an object.

Now that I am older and in a very supportive place in my life, I can see that the weight I have is not healthy for me - and I am trying to resolve that issue. But not because its unbeautiful to society or because I am ashamed of who I am, but because I want to feel healthier and I don't right now. For me, the weight no longer serves a purpose.

For me, when people bring up my weight, it hurts. It reminds me of those days when I was someone's object to be used for their needs. I'm not ashamed of who I am and that time in my life made me stronger. But I still have issues that I need to resolve and being called out for being overweight is hurtful to me.

For many, weight is an emotional issue. Imagine if your most hurtful or embarassing moments were worn on your sleeve and people could point them out and constantly say to you - OMG, wow, those moments are so ugly! Or your moments are ruining Disneyland! Well, for me, my weight is a culmination of bad moments where I could have cared less about me.

I am speaking for me now. I don't need to be reminded that I am fat. I know I am. I know that some people find that unhealthy or unattractive. Pointing it out or telling me all the bad things about being fat really don't help. They actually make it worse. Because I need to focus on finding who I am inside and realizing I'm not just an object for others to use - that I have worth other than for the things people have done to me. So, focusing on the outside of me doesn't help.

Now that I have gotten to a place where I understand I have value and am a beautiful person inside, I can start working on the outside.

I can't speak for all fat people. I know many who have similar histories that I do. I know some that don't. What I do know is that most fat people are aware that they are fat.

I just wish that people who think it is so easy to be fat and that there are simple solutions could really have lived my life. Being fat was the only thing I did that protected me and allowed me to start healing. Yeah, I know it probably wasn't the best thing to do, but it saved my life.

Now I am going to start living it. (Probably at Disneyland...
    This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by HTanner View Post
    Now I am going to start living it. (Probably at Disneyland...
    Bravo to your entire post and to you. It brought tears to my eyes. Your beautiful soul shone in that post. Thank you for writing it.

I was going to reply to princessy777 but you did so much better. It is not worth my time to say anything more.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4DL View Post
    Bravo to your entire post and to you. It brought tears to my eyes. Your beautiful soul shone in that post. Thank you for writing it.

I was going to reply to princessy777 but you did so much better. It is not worth my time to say anything more.
    Thanks. I do understand both sides of the issue. There is a big faction of society that makes it seem like obesity is all about bad choices in your diet. For many, it really isn't. There is often an emotional component that goes along with it. So its not just a matter of putting down the hamburger.

I think we all need to look at everyone this way. There are so many things I do not approve of or think are wrong. Save a few of them (child abuse, animal abuse....), I try to just remember that I am not walking in the person's shoes and I just don't understand their position. I don't come from the same life as that person - how can I possibly judge where they are in life?

I am truly thankful that I am at a point in my life where I can be happy and that I am now mentally healthy enough to make better, healthier decisions for me. But I was never ashamed of my weight - only of the person who was carrying it.

Be who you are. Worrying about how others are just takes away from your own beauty.
    This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

I brought up the issue thinking those who were overweight and okay with themselves would find it interesting even refreshing that there needs would be accomodated.
    Really? Do you think that is the message you conveyed in your posts??

If they had weight restrictions they wouldn't need so many refurbishments....
    I'm not saying that I hate fat people.
    I personally find it sad. Not because of the time and money these refurbishments take but because it is a sad indication of the health problems in our country.
    ~Wendy~ Trips to the World ~ 21 * 19 * 18 * 15 * 09 * 10/05 * 6/05 * 02 * 99 * 95 * 91 * 89 * 88 * 81 * 79 * 77 * 76 * 74

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WDW heart View Post
    Really? Do you think that is the message you conveyed in your posts??
    Honestly, I realize she has weight issues. I really don't think she thinks she has said anything rude. When you can't go shopping for a wedding dress because you went from 118 to 122 over Christmas, there is more here than weight.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by lauramaynot View Post
    Oh this is good to know. I obviously haven't even tried to ride it since that time 2 years ago because it was not the most comfy ride how is the seating now?
    I don't know what size you are but I'm big. I'm not extremely fat, I'm built sort of like a 200 lb. dump truck. (I hate it when people say big boned but it's true.) I can take a punch and keep on coming.

Anywho, I was pretty comfortable. My siblings who are bigger didn't have a problem either, though, I think my sister might have been too big to ride comfortably.
    You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

Quote Originally Posted by Pastafarian View Post
    For the record, this OP is also an "innocent" poster about gay days and the possible horrid things that their children may be subjected to if they go on that weekend on another board with 2 posts apologizing how they didn't feel that their post would stir anything up. I'm not accusing, I'm just saying that the coincidence is uncanny.
    And how does this have anything to do with the original topic?

Trolling again, Pastafarian?? Looks like you have found a new place to start fights just like the board you were banned from for doing the same thing. Hmmmmm???? How long will it be until you get banned here? There are not too many Disney Boards left that have any unburned bridges!!!!!

Having been a beanpole when I was younger and now in my middle age, I have put on that weight that most women will. I am a size 16-18 and not satisfied. I want to lose weight and am working on it. I have already dropped 15 lbs and need to lose another 25. My family thinks I am beautiful as I am, but I know I will FEEL better without the extra lbs. Not that it matters how I LOOK! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As long as one is healthy and happy (and keeps going to Disney Parks! ), that is what matters!!!!
    Last edited by DisneyPrincessCat; 02-06-2008 at 03:23 PM.
    I admit it, I AM a Disney GEEK!

Formerly SusiSlickerMouse

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Moderator warning:

MousePlanet does NOT tolerate "board wars," and past drama from another site needs to STAY there. (In the past, or on the other site, we don't care, just don't bring it here and now)

Oh, and discuss the post, not the poster, yadda yadda yadda.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Moderator warning:

MousePlanet does NOT tolerate "board wars," and past drama from another site needs to STAY there. (In the past, or on the other site, we don't care, just don't bring it here and now)

Oh, and discuss the post, not the poster, yadda yadda yadda.

AVP
    THANK YOU! I like it here in my home away from home.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincessCat View Post
    And how does this have anything to do with the original topic?

Trolling again, Pastafarian?? Looks like you have found a new place to start fights just like the board you were banned from for doing the same thing. Hmmmmm???? How long will it be until you get banned here? There are not too many Disney Boards left that have any unburned bridges!!!!!

Having been a beanpole when I was younger and now in my middle age, I have put on that weight that most women will. I am a size 16-18 and not satisfied. I want to lose weight and am working on it. I have already dropped 15 lbs and need to lose another 25. My family thinks I am beautiful as I am, but I know I will FEEL better without the extra lbs. Not that it matters how I LOOK! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As long as one is healthy and happy (and keeps going to Disney Parks! ), that is what matters!!!!
    And what does this have to do with the original topic? I don't see anywhere where it discusses weight limits on rides. A shameful plug at trying to justify being overweight and being "ok" with it, maybe, but certainly not anything to do with the original topic.

To the OP, I have seen many large people (such as the above size) ride various rides, and although they look uncomfortable, they seem to fit ok.

The only problems we encountered this past trip were on Pirates and Story Book Land where the boats were listing to one side due to excessive weight by some in the boat. If you are aware you are heavy and try to distribute weight accordingly throughout the boats, you should have no problems.
    Last edited by Pastafarian; 02-07-2008 at 07:09 AM.

The recent turns in the thread show what is bad about discussing weight. *Some*Thin people think that heavier people should be "ashamed' even if it is 20 extra pounds on a 6 foot frame. I say that "Shame" is what prevents a lot of people young and old from going out, exercising and doing the normal things that burn calories, and eventually leads to a long-term depression that makes everything worse! I was depressed as a child because of attitudes like that, and I think that everyone here whatever their size should just ignore the negatives and tell them to blow it out their@! I am NOT saying it is OK to be unhealthy, but Damn it, just sick of other people trying to keep others down!!!! How does that help anything? and that"I'm telling you for your own good" thing doesn't cut it unless you are my Mom, my Doctor or Nurse!Ha!

I don't think most people will have problems fitting on most attractions at the Parks, provided the CMs load the attraction vehicles properly. Those who have had issues have explained them well here. I have NO trouble at all on attractions, size 16-18 at 6 ft tall. It is up to the CMs at load to distribute the passengerts correctly on a vehicle.

I admit it, I AM a Disney GEEK!

Formerly SusiSlickerMouse

CHALK DUSTED SUCCUBUS
    If there is nothing wrong, shameful, or insulting about being overwieght then why where the comments I made taken so personally?
    There is nothing wrong, shameful, or insulting about being of a different race, religion, or age, either. However, if you said some of the things that your posts did about a person from another race, religion, age, it would be construed as many have taken your posts here. As an offense to their very person. I read it as rude and kind of bigoted, actually.

To judge someone as needing your sympathy, sadness, or, if I take some of your posts correctly, with actual disgust/fear, is inherently offensive. Sorry. It just is. You may not have meant it in that way, but that's how many people are obviously taking it. Discussing how sad it is, or how it breaks your heart, when they can't do something because of their weight is just plain rude, in my opinion. Discussing what the weight restrictions for a particular ride, is not. From what I've read in your posts, you did the former.

Oh and BTW when me and my two BFF's go to Disneyland we sit three to a ride on everything except The Matterhorn so that none of us will ride alone. So there must not be that many other problems with weight cause even being small three people is still three people.
    Great~glad to hear it! But again...not really seeing what this has to do with the weight restrictions other than saying three small people can ride together. The OP was asking about one person riding. Not three.

To address the OP~I've seen all shapes and sizes enjoying themselves at DL. I can't really say that I've ever seen weight be an issue. Except when one attempts to ride with more people than can comfortably fit~be that 3 smallish people or otherwise. Some of us just really, really, really like to snuggle together. Sometimes it works, sometimes...not so much! I do think it's worth a try if you are with people you love and adore!!

~kisroo

I was not going to post in this thread again but I have to say . . . kisroo, once again, you are my hero.

(I'm up for checking out how many of us will fit in a doombuggy any time you are. )

Quote Originally Posted by kisroo View Post
    There is nothing wrong, shameful, or insulting about being of a different race, religion, or age, either. However, if you said some of the things that your posts did about a person from another race, religion, age, it would be construed as many have taken your posts here. As an offense to their very person. I read it as rude and kind of bigoted, actually.

To judge someone as needing your sympathy, sadness, or, if I take some of your posts correctly, with actual disgust/fear, is inherently offensive. Sorry. It just is. You may not have meant it in that way, but that's how many people are obviously taking it. Discussing how sad it is, or how it breaks your heart, when they can't do something because of their weight is just plain rude, in my opinion. Discussing what the weight restrictions for a particular ride, is not. From what I've read in your posts, you did the former.

Great~glad to hear it! But again...not really seeing what this has to do with the weight restrictions other than saying three small people can ride together. The OP was asking about one person riding. Not three.

To address the OP~I've seen all shapes and sizes enjoying themselves at DL. I can't really say that I've ever seen weight be an issue. Except when one attempts to ride with more people than can comfortably fit~be that 3 smallish people or otherwise. Some of us just really, really, really like to snuggle together. Sometimes it works, sometimes...not so much! I do think it's worth a try if you are with people you love and adore!!

~kisroo

being happy being overweight is one thing, advocating it is another. Shall I start a thread about how children should smoke in groups of 3's? Being large is no better than smoking. Would you approve if i approached your children and offered them a cigarette on my next disney trip? Why should you offer them a churro? If you are large, that is one thing, but do NOT adovocate that it is healthy to be that way to others.

being happy being overweight is one thing, advocating it is another. Shall I start a thread about how children should smoke in groups of 3's? Being large is no better than smoking. Would you approve if i approached your children and offered them a cigarette on my next disney trip? Why should you offer them a churro? If you are large, that is one thing, but do NOT adovocate that it is healthy to be that way to others.
    There must be some error here. The points made in this rather bizarre post have nothing at all to do with what was siad in the post it was quoting.
    " There are no trips to Pleasure Island today. Please enjoy other Fantasyland adventures." - a sign in Disneyland

Take me to my city by the bay... Mrs Mouse's Avatar

This thread has passed the insulting stage and moved into downright ridiculous.

I'm not sure if some posters and I have been reading the same thread!? I have read every one of these posts and NOT ONCE did I notice someone advocating being overweight. No one is praising it as an excellent health choice. No one is pushing it on anyone elses family or children. And, just for the record, I have not noticed one person from the 'other side' of this discussion making rude and judgemental comments about others.

For the most part, people are simply trying to respond (respectfully, I might add to some of you) to the OP's original questions about weight limits. Why this thread suddenly turned into a debate about health and life choices is beyond me.

People on these boards typically do not know one another and I fail to see why it is suddenly okay for someone to pass judgement on the appearance and life of another person who they have never met.

All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt. ~ Charles Schulz

CHALK DUSTED SUCCUBUS
    How in the world did you pull the idea that I was advocating anything in my post other than to not judge others for their appearance?

And, for what it's worth and at risk of FURTHER derailing this thread, the jury is still out on whether it's healthier to be thin or thick. I suggest if we wish to discuss that, someone create another thread in the Lounge. But, I'm not a moderator nor do I play on on MP.

Furthermore, the OP was asking about height/weight limits on Disneyland attractions. Not for what has turned into a discussion on the merits of one's character, health, or lifestyle based on whether you can "fit" into a ride vehicle at Disneyland or not.

I agree with Miss Mouse's post above and certainly hope that my fellow Oregonian (hope you're a DUCK, my friend! Sorry, Drince...), doesn't feel that this is an unfriendly board or that he/she cannot come here for helpful information without being blasted again.

~kisroo

ETA: Oh, and Ruthie~~~I'd ride anything with you....anyday, anytime, anywhere (but, preferably, DLR)...my dear! *smooch* Hope we can do it again, soon???

[QUOTE=kisroo;1190831]
    And, for what it's worth and at risk of FURTHER derailing this thread, the jury is still out on whether it's healthier to be thin or thick. I suggest if we wish to discuss that, someone create another thread in the Lounge. But, I'm not a moderator nor do I play on on MP.

done..thread created to decide if being overweight is OK and acceptable.

Take me to my city by the bay... Mrs Mouse's Avatar

I didn't say that I do not or have not ever judged another person. Please do not put words into my mouth, or thoughts into my head. Of course everyone judges others - it's human nature.

However if I have a comment or judgement that would hurt someone else, I have the common decency to keep that judgement to myself. Why is that such a difficult thing to understand?

All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt. ~ Charles Schulz

CHALK DUSTED SUCCUBUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Mouse View Post
    However if I have a comment or judgement that would hurt someone else, I have the common decency to keep that judgement to myself. Why is that such a difficult thing to understand?
    Exactly!!! Well put, Miss Mouse.

back to the original topic.

Went thur/fri for our turnaround. Hubby is 6/1 and 287. He had no problems with anything we went on. Well Space Muntain, he said was a little snug.

I am 6/0 and 225 and no problem at all, but, with bad knees, it was a struggle getting in an out of rides, esp. the Matterhorn.

Watch pirates. it was late at night(11pm)

Thedumarse loadng the boats... She had 2 thin people in the front seat, then this woman and man in the second seat. I swear the woman was 400#. then she put the 4 of us.... 14yo dd 5/10 200, 16yo ds 5/10 260, me at 6/0 225 and dh 6/1 287 ALL IN THE SAME SEAT!!!!!!! Talk about sardines!!!. there was no one else in the boat. there was no one else in line!!! We could have our own boat!!!

they make is real nice for us fatties!!!!

now if they get a lift chair for us with bad knees for the Matterhorn

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

I've had the same situation where they try to cram too many people into a seat (makes absolutely no sense when there are empty seats/boats)

To avoid that instead of saying "4" when they ask how many in your party say "2" and then the next people also say "2" so at least you are dispersed in your own seats and not uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    I've had the same situation where they try to cram too many people into a seat (makes absolutely no sense when there are empty seats/boats)

To avoid that instead of saying "4" when they ask how many in your party say "2" and then the next people also say "2" so at least you are dispersed in your own seats and not uncomfortable.
    Have to do that the next time.

this was our 3rd time on the ride that night lol. we sat 2 in a seat b4. but i really think it was a weight issue to distribute the weight.

the boat that left b4 us had 2 in the front seat and 2 in the back.

one time when we were on, the whole boat was 2 in a seat and with my bad knee, i was leaning to the right, with left knee stretched out. All of us were sitting to the right.
    they made an announcement when we came to the ship/fort battle to move to the left, to balance the boat.

Disney makes it easy for ALL PEOPLE to RIDE THE RIDES AND SEE EVERYTHING.

THANK YOU!! DISNEY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kisroo View Post
    This is a false analogy. The majority (not all) of overweight people can do something about their weight. A person can not change their race, or age.