Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Have You Gone To The Park Alone?

TAKE MORE PICTURES!

Have You Gone To The Park Alone?

What do you do, when you want to go, but no one else can go?

I went once, by myself (I was near by), nice if you just want to walk around, and look/take pictures, but riding rides is depressing alone...

DLR:I go all the time, MANY MANY times a year! About 2x a month right now

WDW: I was there in 72, maybe 82, but I was definitely there 2006 and 2007!!

Bring back ElecTRONica!!

2. # ADS

Did that in October, we spent the day at the San Diego Zoo and everyone was tired when we got back but me. Was really wierd being alone, no kids, just didnt feel right. And people look at you wierd when you are the only one riding the rides.

I sometimes eat my Ice Cream with a Fork

Blog Entries

I do it. Not all the time but I'm very local and sometimes I'm in the neighborhood.

I'm one of those people whose very comfortable spending time alone. When I'm by myself at Disneyland, I can do whatever I want, whenever I want. Like, say, look at the landscaping.

I don't think anyone's ever looked at me funny on rides or if they do, I haven't noticed. Groups split up all the times when someone is sick/tired/bored. Those single rider lines aren't there for nothing!

Some folks aren't comfortable alone in a public area, particularly one like Disneyland. Or they're not comfortable going without their kids. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with going alone either. It's a personal preference thing.

Elizabeth

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

I actually prefer going alone sometimes--you can choose where to go, what to see, where to linger, where to eat (or not) and when to go home . . . .I've never had anyone look at me funny or anything. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy group time too, but also enjoy the solo trips.

I go to the park once a month...by myself. And, yes, I have a fabulous time getting on all the rides, eating junk food, and watching the shows. I don't believe in denying myself this great pleasure simply because there's no one to share my Monday off with! Not once have I ever felt odd going on a ride alone.
    Some people enjoy a personal spa day to refresh themselves. I prefer Disneyland.

Disneyland ~ Forever Close To My Heart ~

I had a few hours alone one Sunday morning in May 2006. It was WONDERFUL. I was on a trip with my 2 best friends. They only had 2 days tickets, and I had an ap. We had a flight to catch, so I didnt have an entire day. I got there before opening, when there was just a few people in line. In a couple hours I rode a bunch of rides and took some really great pictures. I loved being there alone and wouldnt hesitate to spend a couple days alone if I could afford it and had the time off work.

Linda

Before I was married, I used to go to the park frequently by myself. It helped that I lived near Irvine, worked in Orange so getting over there after work was an easy drive. It was nice after a day of work at the office. I'm now up in Los Angeles and it's too far of a drive with a child to go now during the week.

I work a lot and I am lucky to live not that far from DL. During the summer when the park is open late I love to go by my self to unwind after a long day. If I can’t get there during the week after work I will go on Saturday mornings. When I go to the park alone my boyfriend and I call it my “me time.” People will call me and ask what I am up to and I tell them “I am enjoying some me time”

For me it’s relaxing to get a Dole Whip, sit on a bench and just watch people. I don’t mind going places by my self. Sometimes I will get dinner at the Plaza and enjoy a quite dinner alone and watch the parade. Also, I get to do the rides I can’t always get people to go on or see shows I can’t always get people to see.

Lumpy's Fellow Heffalumps - Spring MA 2008Andy's Lost Crayons - Fall MA 2008King Louie's Swingin' Monkeys - Spring MA 2009Oggie Boggie's Bad Girls - Winter MA 2009

Team Candy Corn - Winter MA 2014

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

LOVE to go solo. Don't do it quite as much now as DH is usually with me, but I do go alone now and then still.
    Check out MP's going-solo guide: Party of One for some great tips.

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Awright!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    ...but riding rides is depressing alone...
    You shouldn't be so self concious. I have not been to the park solo yet, but I would definitely try it. I have to go on many rides by myself, as my wife and young children are not interested in the "big" rides.

Think of it as having some "me" time. You are there only to satisfy yourself. I say INDULGE!

I'm loving this thread - hoping to hit DL alone when I'm there Feb 27 - Mar 1. Just walking down main street, taking it all in, and no worries about what to ride or where to go next seems thrilling to me!

Jennie

A dream is a wish your heart makes!

First trip to WDW September 20, 2008 - POR!

To second the thought, don't feel odd about riding alone. DH and I often just dash in alone to ride Indy or whatever when the kiddies are too scared or tired to deal with it. One stays w/ the kids while the other rides. I've only gotten to "drive" on Indy when I've gone on alone! DH ALWAYS sees "It's Tough To Be a Bug" alone because I am a squeemish wimp

Have fun...I'm jealous...

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

As a frequent solo guest at DL, I always go with the flow. I don't know anybody there so I'm never self-conscious about standing out. However,
    waiting in que lines seems to drag on longer when alone. I tend to seek
    out the musical acts, there always seem to be a number of street groups
    who are not on the official guide list that I love watching.

I love to visit DLR by myself! My family and I go about three to four times a year so I don't feel guilty when it is just me. I live in Northern California but travel to SoCal numerous times on business so I always take time to visit when I'm close by. In fact, I will be in Costa Mesa this week at a conference and will be staying an extra day to see DL!

I don't always go on rides when I'm by myself. I do however go on those rides that mean the most to me--Peter Pan, Storyland Boats, Pinocchio.--that my family tolerates for me! I love to ride over and over until I get my fill. Then I get whatever treat I want (Dole whip, Tigger tale, ice cream) and sit on the porch on Main Street and peoplewatch! I also do a lot of scouting--so when the family is with me, I know exactly what to do and when.

Have fun at DL when you're solo! I have never been treated differently when I'm alone. In fact, without kids or friends to focus on, I have great conversations/interactions with CMs.

Last edited by disneyochem; 02-15-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: misspelling

I went alone last November. I had a great time. At about noon on my last day I was missing my family and ready to go. Perfect timing.

Only one person asked me why I was alone (probably because I was riding the Casey Jr. Circus Train!) and after I explained it to him (me time, doing what I want so I can be attentive to my family when I'm with them without resenting them) he decided he'd suggest his wife have some me time!

I shopped every shop in the park (though I only bought things for my family), ate at places they wouldn't be interested in, and rode things I like but they only tolerate. It was fabulous.

I enjoy being alone for a few hours. After that, I get lonesome for my family.

I don't worry about standing out. Who cares?

Where I'd Rather Be!!

I did it once and really enjoyed myself for the most part...missed the kids as the day wore on. I liked being able to spend more camera time capturing details and magic moments that I miss when I'm busy pushing a stroller from ride to ride. I did the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour which is something I could never do when my family was there. That was really fun. I wouldn't worry about standing out...people probably think the rest of your group is on another ride.

I went to the park alone once. I had a pass that was about to expire, and none of my friends were able to go. I think if someone had asked me why I was alone (as another poster had mentioned happened to him/her), I would have made something up. Said my "wife" was taking the kids back to the hotel for a nap (or something like that). Then I would have turned the question around and said, "Why do you ask?" Put them on the spot.
    To me it's a bizarre question to ask someone (a stranger, no less), out of the blue. First of all I think it's none of their business. Second of all, it's kinda nosey, and rude.

Oh!!! I LOVE Disneyland solo! It's so much fun. I actually flew down from Seattle and spent over a week there all by myself! It was WONDERFUL. Though I am the type of person that NEEDS "me" time every few days. I just need to have time to myself to refresh - I will go out to eat, to movies, on walks - by myself. And I love it.

I also met a bunch of cool people - I was never lonely! I would go back in a heartbeat by myself...if dh would let me (but he's too jealous - he wants to go too)

~Annie~

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    but riding rides is depressing alone...
    I disagree! No one else to worry about, no 3 year old to keep from climbing on things (and no having to explain why OTHER families are letting their 3 year olds do what you say "no" to), if you get bored in line you can just leave without discussing it with anyone...the list goes on and on!

Quote Originally Posted by annieb727 View Post
    Oh!!! I LOVE Disneyland solo! It's so much fun. I actually flew down from Seattle and spent over a week there all by myself! It was WONDERFUL. Though I am the type of person that NEEDS "me" time every few days. I just need to have time to myself to refresh - I will go out to eat, to movies, on walks - by myself. And I love it.

I also met a bunch of cool people - I was never lonely! I would go back in a heartbeat by myself...if dh would let me (but he's too jealous - he wants to go too)
    Hi! I just did a one night solo trip in January; did I get the idea from you? It was so great!!! I hadn't needed "me" time since DS arrived, but I suddenly found myself needing it desperately. Luckily it came once DS was 3.5 and could deal with one night without me, and at a time that we could swing it $$-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    ...and after I explained it to him (me time, doing what I want so I can be attentive to my family when I'm with them without resenting them) he decided he'd suggest his wife have some me time!

I shopped every shop in the park (though I only bought things for my family), ate at places they wouldn't be interested in, and rode things I like but they only tolerate. It was fabulous.
    That was me in January! Every person who asked if I was alone and who got the full answer was SO jealous of me. The CMs thought it was great, they made things really special for me and made me feel very good about going it alone. I could see looks of envy on the faces of wives when I told them, and a slight look of apprehension on the looks of husbands. I don't think anyone with children around asked me, and I don't know what I would have said if they had done so (wouldn't want kids to get the unedited "sometimes some moms need time AWAY from the kids" truth, LOL), but they were too busy doing the things I needed time FROM!

I had the best conversations with strangers during those 2 days (under 2 days...got to DLR at noon and left the gates at 5pm the next day) than I have had in years! People are so fun when you can talk to them!

Blog Entries

I'm a DL girl (have a big family trip starting today, in fact) but just two days ago I made a surprise solo trip to DW. My first trip ever.

I was at a conference that wasn't going well. My flight home was out of Orlando so I tried to see if I could move the time up.

I couldn't and then thought, well, while I'm here..

It was only a little over twenty-four hours. I may do a short trip report later but I will say now that it was perfectly fine--even for my very first trip to the World. In fact, for a trip like that, it was just right. I didn't have to over plan, didn't have to worry about anyone else. I had a chance to check out whether the moderates would work for my husband when he does come (he is a picky traveler).

While I wasn't overwhelmed with "the magic" in general, I did just fine. And everyone treated me just as nicely as I would expect, including the folks who moved up my PS at Bistro de Paris on the spot so I wouldn't miss the fireworks and still found me a delightful window table.

Elizabet

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

I love disneyland, and even though I never went in to the park alone, I wish I could! When our family goes, hopefully dh will take a nap with the kids and then I can go for a little bit.
    I used to live and work close to disneyland before the kids and I would go to downtown disney A LOT after I was done with work and I knew my hubby wouldn't be home for a while. I would just walk around and look at the shops, get some fudge, etc. It was so fun and relaxing. It was nice to watch all the people and kids too.