Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight limits at Disneyland?

Weight limits at Disneyland?

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but does anyone know if there are weight/size restrictions on any of the rides at either DLR or DCA?
    Thanks!

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oregonemt View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the place to post this, but does anyone know if there are weight/size restrictions on any of the rides at either DLR or DCA?
    Thanks!
    Nope. The rides are very generous in the "size" area. Seat belts can pull out quite far, other restraints fit well. Only real restriction is height, 40" for some, 46-52" for just a few. There are rides that may be uncomfortable (ie Mullholland) for some.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Thank you! I knew Disneyland was the happiest place on earth for a reason!

There is the sign on Space Mountain that statest that "certain body (types? shapes?) may not be able to ride"--or something to that effect.

I think it is a funny wording, and an attempt at being PC.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunnh2o View Post
    There is the sign on Space Mountain that statest that "certain body (types? shapes?) may not be able to ride"--or something to that effect.

I think it is a funny wording, and an attempt at being PC.
    Actually, I don't think it's an attempt to be PC. The restraints have to fit. It isn't necessarily a weight issue, it's how you carry your weight.
    Cathy

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

LOL--being short, fat and female, it is my observation that the people that go sailing out of amusement rides (I'm thinking in particular of something that occurred at Knott's a few years ago) tend to be short, fat and female. Therefor, I tend to stick with the "safe" rides like POTC, IASW, Peter Pan, Star Tours, etc. and have avoided the Space Mountains, Screamin's and BTMRR's of the world . . . . . Might be wrong, but I figure why take the chance?

I used to love roller coasters when I was a kid, but there is no way no how someone is going to get me in something that goes upside down!

Disneyland Regular

I know the Orange Stinger used to have a weight restriction, but has been removed in the last year or so. It was actually quite low, like 200#.

..sing like the birdies sing..

My husband and brother are both big guys, and have had no problems with anything we've attempted to ride.

"Take your time from the birds, Now you all know the words... Tweet, tweet tweet, tweet tweet"
    Disneyland: 6/83, 5/89, 9/00, 9/01, 9/02, 9/03, 9/04, 9/05, 3/06, 9/06, (break to have our first baby!), 3/08, 9/08 - next trip: 9/09
    Disneyworld: 10/05, 3/09

Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    LOL--being short, fat and female, it is my observation that the people that go sailing out of amusement rides (I'm thinking in particular of something that occurred at Knott's a few years ago) tend to be short, fat and female. Therefor, I tend to stick with the "safe" rides like POTC, IASW, Peter Pan, Star Tours, etc. and have avoided the Space Mountains, Screamin's and BTMRR's of the world . . . . . Might be wrong, but I figure why take the chance?

I used to love roller coasters when I was a kid, but there is no way no how someone is going to get me in something that goes upside down!
    Only Screamin' goes upside down of those listed coasters...

Hubby is 5'10" and last trip to Disneyland was about 310, and although he was uncomfortable riding Astro Orbiter with DS (hard to get both in and out), and he's not the biggest fan of riding Dumbo with anyone, the ONLY ride he tried to ride but couldn't was Maliboomer, and that is ONLY because of the way his weight is distributed around his back. His back is very broad and carries lots of weight on top of it, and the shoulder thing couldn't clip down to the seat thing. They tried and were kind about it, but he wasn't able to ride it.

And all that said, only weight limit I've seen is 250 for the Segway tour at DCA (100 is the minimum).

I have been a yo-yo dieter for many years and have never had a problem on any rides. The rides I have had some problems on were because of knee problems more than anything. The jolting is not good if you have a bad joint. I now avoid the Matterhorn Bobsleds and Big Thunder Moutain (I think that is what it is called.) Astro-orbiter I have always found difficult to get in and out of even at moderate wieghts of 150-175. My very tall, very thin husband also has problems with astro orbiter.

momuveight

Blog Entries

I also avoid Matterhorn, I usually wind up with bruises when I give in to the urge to ride. I quit riding Indy and Star Tours a few years ago, nothing to do with weight, more to do with my back and severe headaches after riding. Mulhullond is one I am not comfortable with weight wise. A ride I will never forget was my brother and daughter riding together on Dumbo. Both are on the larger side, but Dumbo was a trooper, and didn't even hesitate to take them up!

If they had weight restrictions they wouldn't need so many refurbishments....

I know it is a much debated point but isn't that why IASW and Jungle Cruise are getting deaper trenches put in?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by princessy777 View Post
    I don't think that was what the OP was asking. But thank you for this info, I am positive the OP is happier knowing your opinion of heavy people. (I knew this thread would take this turn....)
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 01-29-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Just stunned

I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to be rude at all. I have read in several places that that is the reason why those attractions are being trenched deeper. That the weight of the some of the boats causes them to get stuck. Disney obviously doesn't want weight restrictions. Who would want a scale next to that yard stick?

Given the fact that the average American is overweight, much much more so then when these attractions opened I can see why. I'm not saying that I hate fat people. I am by choice larger then average in one area. I don't mind as I find myself more asthetically pleaseing with my upgrade. But if I was to try to get on a ride somewhere and they told me the harness wouldn't fit I wouldn't get all up in arms.

I personally find it sad. Not because of the time and money these refurbishments take but because it is a sad indication of the health problems in our country. I'm sorry if that bothers somepeople.

We had some serious listing issues on Pirates over the weekend. Full boats and it seemed they managed to put all of the adult sized adults, me included on one side. Little teeny kids on the other, coming down the first hill the front right plowed right into the water, I was wetter than I have ever gotten even on Splash

Disneyland IS the Happiest place on Earth!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Wow, what an incredibly insulting thing to say! Maybe they should charge admission by the pound - the heavier you are, the more it costs for you to go to Disneyland.

I know it is a much debated point but isn't that why IASW and Jungle Cruise are getting deaper trenches put in?
    Did I miss something? I don't remember hearing anything about Jungle Cruise getting deeper trenches.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Did I miss something? I don't remember hearing anything about Jungle Cruise getting deeper trenches.
    I've never read about this either. I don't understand why this would be brought up when someone was simply asking if there were any weight restrictions. I don't remember any one getting "all up in arms" because they couldn't fit on a ride, I believe the person was simply asking if there were any problems. I do remember someone getting all upset because they gained 4 lbs and refused to go dress shopping due to 4 lbs. THAT is "all up in arms." Saying "OK, don't fit" and exiting a ride is NOT "all up in arms".

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I don't understand why this would be brought up when someone was simply asking if there were any weight restrictions. I don't remember any one getting "all up in arms" because they couldn't fit on a ride, I believe the person was simply asking if there were any problems. I do remember someone getting all upset because they gained 4 lbs and refused to go dress shopping due to 4 lbs. THAT is "all up in arms." Saying "OK, don't fit" and exiting a ride is NOT "all up in arms".
    I am in the same baffled boat you are, Malcon10t.

There was no reason for this thread to take that turn.

Ok, wow....I had no idea when I asked this question (my first) that it would incite any negative responses. All I wanted to know was if there were any weight restrictions on any of the rides.

I have been "lurking" here for months now, gathering all kinds of great tips for my upcoming trip and hadn't seen this particular issue addressed before. Just a "hmmm, I wonder" kind of question that came to me because DH and I are both a few pounds heavier then we would like.

Thank you Malcont10, Keurigirl and Hobbitfeet for providing short, simple, non-judgmental answers to what I thought was a simple question...I appreciate it!

And as something I have noticed from reading the posts here over the last few months- if you have to say "I'm not being rude", you probably are.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar
    Ok, wow....I had no idea when I asked this question (my first) that it would incite any negative responses. All I wanted to know was if there were any weight restrictions on any of the rides.

And as something I have noticed from reading the posts here over the last few months- if you have to say "I'm not being rude", you probably are.

Oregonemt--welcome to the boards--I have been on for a few months and have found that most people are very welcoming--to everyone.

hope to see you here again soon!

Good call.

Your first question was a good one. Don't let the strange turn in the converstion bother you. Sometimes the most innocent of questions take the oddest turns. Welcome to MP.

I'm not saying that I hate fat people.
    What a relief!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Nope. The rides are very generous in the "size" area. Seat belts can pull out quite far, other restraints fit well. Only real restriction is height, 40" for some, 46-52" for just a few. There are rides that may be uncomfortable (ie Mullholland) for some.
    I Agree with Mullholand.

Last time we went (5 yrs ago) I was 125# heavier and I'm also 6'ft. I went with my then 8 yr dd and they couldn't close the bar. I had to sit cross legged
    and just barely got in it. Needless to say I haven't rode that ride again. Came out with bruises and cramps in legs

When I was big, never had a problem with fitting into seat at DL or DW. Other parks, yes I had problems( fat moves bones don't)

Disneyland Regular

I am going to take full responsibilty for the refurb of Small World (along with my fellow bears). You see, we are a group of rather large men (I am tiny at 6'. 220#), and we have sunk those boats many, many times.

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

We sunk the boat on the Holiday Tour. They put our entire tour on one boat. It was pretty funny actually. We just scooted it for a while and it floated SLOWLY along!!

I think there are worse things people could be than a few pounds overweight. Having really poor grammar and spelling is something I can think of, off the top of my head.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    I think there are worse things people could be than a few pounds overweight..
    . . . unless they break Pinocchio

Great memories.