Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: candy canes - can't wait...

Loving my sweet pea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Sorry you feel that way. But I think it would be unfair to leave a child out.
    The child doesn't need to be left out. Buy a "family" candy cane and share it together as something very special, so special, that the family only gets one to share. It'd be a good teaching opportunity, I think.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by THpoohbear View Post
    The child doesn't need to be left out. Buy a "family" candy cane and share it together as something very special, so special, that the family only gets one to share. It'd be a good teaching opportunity, I think.
    I would if the kiddos were all in the same family. The Candy Cane is very large and I could see siblings sharing. The kiddos in my family (nieces and nephews) are all in different families. So in my case that does not work.

I know that people say they sale out quick. But in the last two years we have gone the week after Thanksgiving. We seem to be the only ones interested. We watched them make them through out the day. Came back when they are done and bought ours. No line. Not a single other soul even looking. So I did not feel guilty buying the number I needed. I would double think it if the line for candy canes was out the door.
    “Love will find a way. Indifference will find an excuse.”

Look with your HEART. It always tells the truth.

Loving my sweet pea.

You bring up a good point, Jewels. It does make more sense to buy several if the kids are in different families. I still consider that one or two per "family". I was thinking of sibblings or people under one roof when I wrote my response.

Thanks for sharing about your no line experience. I've only seen candy canes being made twice, on the same day. Both times the line was long. I always read about the candy cane lines, so I assumed there is always a line. Guess not!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

According to the candy shop, the Candy Canes will be made as follows:

Friday, November 23
    Saturday, December 8
    Friday, December 14
    Saturday, December 22

The first batch will be available about 1 hour after park opening, the 2nd between Noon and 1. No decision has been made about limits.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Mickey View Post
    Why don't they make more? It would seem if they are that popular that it would be a pretty safe bet that would still be able to sell them.
    once you have seen them making them, it's easier to appreciate why they don't make more. they are hugely labour intensive; i spent an hour watching this a couple of years ago, and the sweat pouring from the brow of the man pushing the sugar syrup around was impressive. it took over an hour to make the syrup and another hour or so to shape them - I thought that whatever I paid for it (I think it was about $10) was cheap at the price. And to add to the debate; I think that one cane a family (ie siblings) would be plenty! I brought mine home and it hung on the tree and we all had a piece on christmas night watching the Queen's message - there was enough for 12 of us to share. and it was the best candy cane any of us remember eating!!

Quote Originally Posted by emmah View Post
    once you have seen them making them, it's easier to appreciate why they don't make more. they are hugely labour intensive; i spent an hour watching this a couple of years ago, and the sweat pouring from the brow of the man pushing the sugar syrup around was impressive.
    To add to this I believe there are only one or two candy makers working at DL that actually know how to make the candy canes. They can't work every day in December, unfortunately.

So is it safe to say they won't be making them after the 25th we won't be there until the 26th!

We won't be there until Dec. 29. Dang...looks like no DL candy canes for us this year.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Hmmmm... We're going home on the 8th. I wonder if we'll have time to go into the park to get a candy cane before we go.

We'll be missing them by a couple days too. We leave Nov 21.

Amy

I don't know what's correct, but I thought I'd throw it out there for potential lucky people. On another forum, they too, have started discussing the candy canes. They were giving different dates then what is here at MP. Actually, there were 2 sets of different dates that were given at Miceage (they have some really cool pictures of the Candy Canes being made for those interested). Also, it is being said: limit of 2.

The first set of dates: December 8th, 14th, and 27th.
    The second set of dates: December 9th, 17th, and 22nd.
    MP dates: November 23, December 8, 14, 22.

Someone said they called the park yesterday and the candy cane schedule isn't out...maybe Friday. So again, I don't know which dates are the true dates (or if the true dates have even been put out yet). LOL, I'm not so sure DL does either.

Good luck to all the Candy Cane seekers. Heck, if ya get the opportunity (especially if you are local) check out all the dates. Now that sounds like a good time!

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." WD

"Women are the best judges of anything we turn out. Their taste is very important. They are the theatergoers, they are the ones who drag the men in. If the women like it, to heck with the men." WD

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodnswash View Post
    Someone said they called the park yesterday and the candy cane schedule isn't out...maybe Friday.
    When I went to Disneyland on Monday I asked the staff at the Candy shop and they pulled out a piece of paper and read me the schedule from it. I don't know if this was a preliminary schedule, but it was what they had as of Monday.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    When I went to Disneyland on Monday I asked the staff at the Candy shop and they pulled out a piece of paper and read me the schedule from it. I don't know if this was a preliminary schedule, but it was what they had as of Monday.

AVP
    and as we all know - posted or written communications, while they may change, are more concrete than word of mouth...
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

and the fudge?

has anyone seen the candy cane, or peppermint, fudge at the resort? On Nov 16th it was not around..

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    has anyone seen the candy cane, or peppermint, fudge at the resort? On Nov 16th it was not around..
    On the 19th all I saw (and tasted!) was pumpkin fudge.

We went on the day after Thanksgiving at about 9AM. There was a line but it was short and we got the last four. We shared one as a family and kept the rest for our three kids for Christmas. The cook said he had to stop because the temperature in the room was getting way too hot! The poor man looked so uncomfortable! His hard work made the candy cane taste sooooo much better! YUM!!!

Would it be safe to say in order to get one, get in line when the park opens?

Raven,

On the day after Thanksgiving, I think they started making the candy canes before the park opened. Because by little after 8:30AM, they started to sell it. We stood in line just before 9 and got the last ones of 250. They told us that the next batch would have been made at 10AM and ready at 12PM. If anything, when coming into the park, make a pit stop at the Candy Palace and ask. Some people do stand in line at 8AM or earlier if they have early entry. Good luck!!

So tell me, is this candy cane from DL thing merely a tradition, or is there something really different between these canes and the storebought ones?

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    So tell me, is this candy cane from DL thing merely a tradition, or is there something really different between these canes and the storebought ones?
    I think this post from earlier in the thread answers that...
    Quote Originally Posted by lisap View Post
    They are light and airy on the inside, not like regular canes that are hard all the way through. We eat one right away and save a couple for decorations.
    Cathy

Hubby and Son w/Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    We were in the Park the day after Thanksgiving and were lucky enough to purchase from the first batch of candy canes on Friday.Once they went on sale, they did sell out in minutes. They were $10 each and we were able to purchase six (not sure if that was because all 6 of us were there). The candy canes, while lovely, were nothing special taste wise to me. They were very good, but to me, nothing better than a "good" candy cane form See's or something. It was quite amazing to watch them make them though...I had no idea how labor intensive it was! I think the thing that made them so special for us was knowing they were made in front of us in the park....nothing could taste better They did wrap them quite securely for everyone in bubble wrap...only three made it home and I will honestly have a hard time eating them...maybe on Christmas Eve

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

So did anyone get any this morning? We were in line at Disneyana at 8am, and I had the husband wander over to the candy palace to see. He said there were about a dozen people inside in line, and they were still making the candy canes. He said they were making them like taffy, but you could tell they were harder than taffy to pull. We popped by around 10:00 to have a look. There was a sign that candy canes were being made that day, limit 2 per person. There were about half a dozen people waiting for the next batch, but they weren't in the middle of making it yet.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

i got there in time but had a friend from out of town here for only a few hours. The afternoon batch was started at around 12. by 12:30 the candy had been poured and started to cool. Then the cutting and the color infusement (folding over and over and over again). I left before the pull. But - by 12:30 the CM said there was no guarentee we would get one if we stayed in line. My guess is the second batch was done by 2pm.

We had EE that day and did Fantasyland then we went to the Candy Palace at 7:55 they weren't making the canes yet so I made the mistake of thinking we could grab a quick bite to eat at Carnation Cafe. We got back to the Candy Palace at 8:30 and we were about 30th in line (with only 40-45 canes per batch) we were pretty sure we weren't going to get anything from the first batch. This sold out by 9:30ish. Soooo we were told to disburse and come back at 11:30 for the second batch. We were given tickets that really didn't mean anything except to prevent line swelling.

Now I didn't just fall off the Disneyland trolly, they never adhere to the line-up start time, they can't and still control the masses. So we sat at Coke corner and watched for people to start showing up again. We got back in an unofficial line around 10:30 and they made the line official soon after that. My daughter and I walked away with our canes around 12:00 from the second batch. We each got 2 so I now have one for me, hubby, son, and daughter on the mantle. I've never purchased these so I'm really looking forward to Christmas morning to taste these.

I figure each candy cane was worth 1 hour of my time + the purchase price so I hope they are as yummy as everyone says. We met a lot of fun people in line and the time really did pass quickly.

I think olegc you might have seen the 3rd batch being started. We had stashed our precious purchase in a locker and were seated at Orleans Cafe just after noon and we had the second batch.

'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.' - Thomas Jefferson

Official dates

The candy canes will be sold again on Dec. 14 (Friday) and Dec. 22 (Saturday), according to Darlene Champeau, Disneyland candy production manager.

For the full post:
    http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal...1087#more-1087

Brady MacDonald
    Los Angeles Times Theme Park Blogger