Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Firefighter ticket discount for Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
    According to the original press release, the offer is open to "Southern California firefighters, law enforcement and rescue personnel". They do not seem to limit it to people who worked on the recent fires. Apparently, they opened up the offer to firefighters from outside of the area who did work on this particular fire. Regardless, the firefighter in question did not say that he lied. He simply stated that he showed his ID and was given the pass. I am stating that I have no problem with firefighters who didn't work on the wildfires getting passes. Somebody has to stay locally to fight house fires and cut people out of crashed cars. I don't envy them either their regular work or the wildfire fighting, but I'm very glad they are doing their job and would not begrudge them a day or two at Disneyland as a reward.
    There is such thing as a lie of omission where you are being deceitful by not saying something. By presenting his badge he was leading the CM to believe he was qualified for the discount.

2. # ADS

He WAS qualified for the discount. He said "I'm a fireman for a large municipal fire department in the L.A. area". The discount was for "SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTERS, law enforcement and rescue personnel" There was no mention in the requirements that the firefighter, law enforcement, or rescue personnel had to have been involved in the recent wildfires. It would have been mean-spirited for Disney to make this requirement, and they would have taken a lot of PR heat for not including the men and women who protected us while their associates were off fighting the wildfires.

Quote Originally Posted by princessy777 View Post
    There is such thing as a lie of omission where you are being deceitful by not saying something. By presenting his badge he was leading the CM to believe he was qualified for the discount.

He WAS qualified for the discount. He said "I'm a fireman for a large municipal fire department in the L.A. area". The discount was for "SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTERS, law enforcement and rescue personnel" There was no mention in the requirements that the firefighter, law enforcement, or rescue personnel had to have been involved in the recent wildfires. It would have been mean-spirited for Disney to make this requirement, and they would have taken a lot of PR heat for not including the men and women who protected us while their associates were off fighting the wildfires.
    "We are committed to making a difference in our community," said Ed Grier, president of The Disneyland Resort. "We hope this special offer makes a difference in the lives of the thousands of women and men who have worked the front lines of the horrific fires in Southern California by providing them an opportunity to relax with their friends and families. All Disneyland Resort Cast Members salute their bravery and honor their heroics."

Through "Disney's Wildfire Heroes Salute," emergency personnel with valid identification can each receive one complimentary three-day Park Hopper ticket valid for admission to both Disneyland Park and Disney's California Adventure Park through Feb. 28, 2008. Additionally during this period, firefighters, law enforcement and rescue workers may make a one-time purchase of up to five additional three-day Park Hopper tickets at a special price of $56 each."

So you can read who it was intended for. It was in response to the So Cal wildfires. I would read it as for those involved. I guess if others want to also that is a personal decision. To each there own I suppose.

Ed may hope that this promation makes a difference in the lives of those that worked the fire, but the promotion is for any Southern California firefighter, not just those that worked the fire. It is also offered to those outside of Southern California, but they had to work the fire, not just be a firefighter.

I had read the debate over whether the out of state fireman should also recieve some sort of benefit. Seeing as who it was intended for I agreed they should especially over those who just live here but did not assist in the fires. The wording in my opinion makes it plain while the policy may make it open to all.

It would be like if there were a discount for So Cal fire victims and all you needed to do was show your ID that you lived in So Cal. I wouldn't use such a discount but that is just me.

It really would be a tough call to limit it only to those firefighters or police in southern california who were directly on the fire line. While my husband was up at the fires the first few days others were kept overtime to cover his beat and keep the public safe, I would assume the same thing happened in other counties. I think it would be safe to say that the majority of southern California fire and law enforcement personnel were in some way involved, whether directly at the fire line or indirectly by covering shifts.

Disneyland IS the Happiest place on Earth!

The firefighter that recieved the free tickets who workes in So. Cal probably lives in one of the zip codes where you get the discount without showing proof that you worked the fires. I do not have a problem with that. My issue is when others start whinning about "well why not me". Disney made a decision, thats that. Live with it if you are not included dont whine. Did anyone sign up to be a firefighter based on the perks you might get, or did they do it because thats what they wanted to do. And as for volunteer firefighters not getting paid, now thats just not true. Once a volunteer is deployed on a large fire, they get paid by the federal or state government, anyone who says otherwise just does not know what they are talking about. The local agency is also reimbursed for the equipment they send, no maybe about that. Also the firefighters who stay behind to cover shifts, do get overtime, its the law, period. So if you think you deserve a discount or special perk that someone else recieved and you didn't and you are whinning about it maybe its time for a different job. Remember there are people who lost everything, other people that died or were badly injured, so someone didn't get a free ticket, whaaaa. stop crying and grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by rds912 View Post
    The firefighter that recieved the free tickets who workes in So. Cal probably lives in one of the zip codes where you get the discount without showing proof that you worked the fires. I do not have a problem with that. My issue is when others start whinning about "well why not me". Disney made a decision, thats that. Live with it if you are not included dont whine. Did anyone sign up to be a firefighter based on the perks you might get, or did they do it because thats what they wanted to do. And as for volunteer firefighters not getting paid, now thats just not true. Once a volunteer is deployed on a large fire, they get paid by the federal or state government, anyone who says otherwise just does not know what they are talking about. The local agency is also reimbursed for the equipment they send, no maybe about that. Also the firefighters who stay behind to cover shifts, do get overtime, its the law, period. So if you think you deserve a discount or special perk that someone else recieved and you didn't and you are whinning about it maybe its time for a different job. Remember there are people who lost everything, other people that died or were badly injured, so someone didn't get a free ticket, whaaaa. stop crying and grow up.
    Exactly. It is those complaints that keep most companys from offering such things. Because their thank you is a ton of complaints.

One way to tell the difference between a whiner with a sense of entitlement and people who actually feel that a policy wasn't thought through and is poorly conceived is that not a single person here who first complained about firefighters from outside of Southern California not being included in the promotion is actually a firefighter nor do any of them (us) stand to gain in any way. We have just pointed out what we thing was wrong -- and which Disney must have agree with since they adjusted their stand.

Quote Originally Posted by princessy777 View Post
    Exactly. It is those complaints that keep most companys from offering such things. Because their thank you is a ton of complaints.
    Yes, it always happens, offer a discount or a gift to any group and it WILL get taken advantage of. If disney did not have the 5 ticket limit I could just see someone showing up with the neighborhood little leage team

Or... maybe your house will be burning down and he'll go inside and pull you and your family out. There is nothing magical about the Southern California Fires. Fire and Police personnel put their lives on the line for us every day. Yes, they get paid for it, as they should. I get paid for my job, too, but I don't have to risk my life doing it. I have no problem with giving them a break at Disneyland.
    And maybe someday you will burn in...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    One way to tell the difference between a whiner with a sense of entitlement and people who actually feel that a policy wasn't thought through and is poorly conceived is that not a single person here who first complained about firefighters from outside of Southern California not being included in the promotion is actually a firefighter nor do any of them (us) stand to gain in any way. We have just pointed out what we thing was wrong -- and which Disney must have agree with since they adjusted their stand.
    Quite simply, this is my stance. Actually, I have a son who is So Cal LE and could take advantage of this, but he has an AP, and didn't fight the fires (he only just got there.) As a matter of fact, I haven't heard of any fire fighter complaining. For me, I just have strong feelings on this.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

My, we're in the holiday spirit, aren't we? I have no idea what I said that deserves this kind of response.

Quote Originally Posted by CV12Pirate View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CV12Pirate View Post

Whoa!

Moderator warning: Keep this thread on the topic of the discount for firefighters.

Any additional personal attacks or diversion will result in closure of the thread.
    Last edited by stan4d_steph; 12-18-2007 at 09:54 AM.